• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Much of the Amazon could be on the verge of losing its distinct nature and switching from a closed canopy rainforest to an open savannah with far fewer trees as a result of the climate crisis, researchers have warned.

Rainforests are highly sensitive to changes in rainfall and moisture levels, and fires and prolonged droughts can result in areas losing trees and shifting to a savannah-like mix of woodland and grassland. In the Amazon, such changes were known to be possible but thought to be many decades away.

New research shows that this tipping point could be much closer than previously thought. As much as 40% of the existing Amazon rainforest is now at a point where it could exist as a savannah instead of as rainforest, according to a study published in the journal Nature Communications.

www.theguardian.com

Amazon near tipping point of switching from rainforest to savannah – study

Climate crisis and logging is leading to shift from canopy rainforest to open grassland

Relevant:

debolle_2019-11-01_piiechart.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Horrifying stuff. What can actions could American citizens take to help oppose the burning of the rainforest?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We're a helpless species on our way out by our own hand. Once we're gone, new ecosystems and life will sprint up and flourish in our absence. It'll be pretty fucking beautiful.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
This is a all really scary stuff with the lungs of the planet. Once so vast that it created it's own climate and now it coukd disappear.

Jun 18, 2018
Once we're gone, new ecosystems and life will sprint up and flourish in our absence. It'll be pretty fucking beautiful.

I'm not sure we can be that optimistic. Firstly all the waste current waste in the air, land and sea will still be there, then our current civilisation will contribute to that waste and lastly, the incredibly wealthy (who could have funded a change of course) are likely to afford the protection to make it through any catastrophic fallout in protective shelters. Well, at least for a generation or two.

Microplastatics are likely to hamper nature for a long time, and would likely be the next priority issue to solve, should we get our emissions under control.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm not sure we can be that optimistic. Firstly all the waste current waste in the air, land and sea will still be there, then our current civilisation will contribute to that waste and lastly, the incredibly wealthy (who could have funded a change of course) are likely to afford the protection to make it through any catastrophic fallout in protective shelters. Well, at least for a generation or two.

Microplastatics are likely to hamper nature for a long time, and would likely be the next priority issue to solve, should we get our emissions under control.

I mean, for sure, but in the scope of time, we'll be but a blip in Earths lifetime. The it'll take tens of thousands of years for our footprint to be erased, but Earth likely has what, billions of years left before the sun swallows it whole?

If humanity is lucky, we'll have maybe 250,000 years on this planet before we are gone forever. I'm not even smart enough to make this estimation, and it's likely way WAY shorter than that, lol.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Extinction Rebellion probably has it right.
rebellion.global

Extinction Rebellion | Join The Fight Against Climate and Ecological Collapse

Life as we know it is on the brink of collapse. Our governments have failed to protect us. Help us to build a powerful movement to change the course we are on.

XR is the wrong route to the right outcome. The work must be done to stuff political parties in democracies with people who passionately care about the environment, and for pro-environment parties to work together to throw out anti-climate parties.

The key reason why climate change has not been dealt with is geopolitical - it's a problem of international politics. It's likely impossible to solve the problem via small-scale protest or by winning a tiny victory about Pringles cans.

EDIT: Will add in a clarification to avoid getting bombed - XR is a legit expression of people's frustration and I'm not one of those people who thinks getting the tube into work is more important than trying to flag up the climate crisis.

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The Amazon going bust has to be one of the biggest own-goals humanity could've given it himself that it absolutely could've avoided pretty easily. Saving the Amazon is a much easier problem to solve than the overall issue of climate change; and we could do it within a few years. Maybe even reverse some of the damage and buy us some time.

But we won't. It's almost funny in that self-deprecating "Agent Smith was right" kind of way.

We are turning one of the best carbon sinks on this rock into an eventual carbon source. And it sounds like it'll be sooner than that 20-30 year timeline we were seeing in reports last year.

debolle_2019-11-01_piiechart.png

All those years spent getting Brazil to stop destroying the rainforest, only for the last couple years to reverse all that progress and speed up the rainforest's demise. Considering the loss of ecology and biodiversity, this goes well beyond crimes against humanity - this is a genocide campaign waged against the earth.

And stop buying any Beef imported from there.

Yeah, cattle ranching for beef and agriculture is responsible for a vast majority of deforested areas, just as it was back in the early 00s when it was getting real bad.

Solutions for stopping deforestation remain largely the same they were over a decade ago, except now the clock is even more against us and we have to deal with rightwing fascists in control of the primary decision-making.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I really hope humans are eradicated soon before we kill the planet. It doesn't deserve to be fucked like this.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope humans are eradicated soon before we kill the planet. It doesn't deserve to be fucked like this.

Humans have managed to live in and around the Amazon rainforest for thousands of years. Never forget that lots of people are victimized by these developments right alongside the environment. That goes for climate change in general. It's not simply the planet suffering because of humanity in its entirety, it's the planet and the world's poor suffering from specific segments of humanity. Blaming humanity as a whole shows an unwillingness to take actual responsibility. We should radically change our current capitalist system and focus on existing sustainably on this planet, even if that means those of us living in rich nations have to completely change our way of life. Don't get me wrong, I understand the anger but it needs to be aimed at the right people and, more importantly, the right systems. Just blaming humanity helps no one.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick of people blaming consumers when it's big companies and states that are the real contributors towards destroying nature. Not that we can't have an effect but it's ridiculous to think we can on the same scale.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sick of people blaming consumers when it's big companies and states that are the real contributors towards destroying nature. Not that we can't have an effect but it's ridiculous to think we can on the same scale.
Companies have no power without corroborating consumer behavior of some kind. Honestly, the same is true of most governments and law makers.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This always feels like an excuse not to make personal sacrifices because there are others making a worse impact.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why but the rainforest has always been among the most beautiful, fascinating and wonderous things on this planet for me. I've watched tons of documetaries about it since I was a kid and every single one of them mentioned that it is a highly complex and sensible system that we should take better care off and talked about the insane damage that our behaviour is doing to it. This always depressed me a lot, so reading this is easily among the worst things I've read this year, and considering what kind of year this has been, this says a lot.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Companies have no power without corroborating consumer behavior of some kind. Honestly, the same is true of most governments and law makers.
And most consumers don't have the power and/or $$$ most of the time to make choices that are healthy for the environment. That is not to say that we can't take mass action, in the form of protest movements like extinction rebellion, which could affect political action with regards to the environment. Or that we can't be more conscious of how we waste and affect the environment in our own ways.
This always feels like an excuse not to make personal sacrifices because there are others making a worse impact.
That's certainly not the point I'm trying to make. Large-scale action and sacrifices need to be made on the part of consumers and the much bigger troublemakers of governments and corporations.