• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I just received a physical letter from them, JUST to remind me that I also have Amazon Prime Video with my Prime Sub...and they noticed I haven't watched anything or much on there (I have planned to for The Expanse and other shows).

Anyone else get this?

I didn't even want to open it, but thought it might have to do with a recent package I got from them....and how it might have went through a facility that had to get cleanned down for Coronavirus.

But nope, OUT OF ALL the times they decide to send a physical letter, it's for this. Maybe it's automated with machines, but you would think someone would be like "u know this might not be that big of a deal, now might not be the best time for this".

They could have just emailed me, or send a notification through the app (which they should know I have on various devices).

And yes I accidently touched my face after opening it. šŸ˜©

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I've received packages from unknown senders of random items inside, but not a physical letter from them directly.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose they figure if you arn't watching videos that you might not know about it, or older, hence a physical letter?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. I think they're pretty great personally. Sorry to hear about your letter .... fiasco.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I prefer weird ass Heaven

OP
OP
Afrikan

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose they figure if you arn't watching videos that you might not know about it, or older, hence a physical letter?

It's a great gesture. Spending alittle extra money (might not be alot) to tell me to use more of their product, which might cost them alittle extra..or take up alittle bandwidth.

But they should know my age (38) my viewing habits... how often I browse Prime Video. I usually start the same shows for a min, to test sound and picture equipment.

But I would think now isn't the best time to send physical letters.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I've received packages from unknown senders of random items inside, but not a physical letter from them directly.
I saw a video on YouTube by Atomic Shrimp I think (scam baiter/Amazon scam product reviewer) where he explained some shady companies will get your address somehow and send items to you so your info is in their system. Can't remember why (probably so they can fudge some numbers) but if I find the vid I'll link it. Maybe it was that?

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I think they're pretty great personally. Sorry to hear about your letter .... fiasco.

I don't think OP was even remotely making it out to be a fiasco lmao. It is odd for a digital storefront to send a physical letter during a pandemic just to tell you that you haven't been watching many videos on Prime.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Squarehard I found the video I was talking about. It's the beginning of this one:

It's called brushing. Basically scam companies will use your information obtained through a real transaction to send you random stuff so they can post positive reviews as a "verified purchase" and not get in trouble for reviewing their own products.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a video on YouTube by Atomic Shrimp I think (scam baiter/Amazon scam product reviewer) where he explained some shady companies will get your address somehow and send items to you so your info is in their system. Can't remember why (probably so they can fudge some numbers) but if I find the vid I'll link it. Maybe it was that?
Squarehard I found the video I was talking about. It's the beginning of this one:

It's called brushing. Basically scam companies will use your information obtained through a real transaction to send you random stuff so they can post positive reviews on sites as a "verified purchase" and not get in trouble for reviewing their own products.

Yeah, I read up on it after it started to happen a couple of times, and then looked it up and realized that's what was happening.

Sometimes it was just weird shit like floss, but I got a box of Pops before too.

Usually happens around the holidays more so if anything.

Good looking out. ;)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that's a little weird. Not so much the notifications, I don't get em for video or books since I use those but I keep getting them trying to get me to use music and their photo app (which I finally did since for doing it they gave me 15 dollar credit off a 30 purchase before the end of April) so that part doesn't surprise me.

The physical letter part, THATS weird. Between Email, the Covid-19 crisis, and in app notifications (where I got the credit for photos promotion) actually sending postal service snail mail is weird. Hell even with a physical reminder you fogure they could throw a mailer in your next order or two if they really feel the need to give you a physical reminder. Long story short I probably would have reacted the same and there is nothing wrong with being weirded out by it.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Similar sorts thing just happened to me with Target...Recently applied for and received their Red store card, but then had to go to Puerto Rico...I just got back home last week, and in my mail there was a physical letter from them saying they noticed I haven't yet used my Red card

Like you said, why not just send me an email or app push notification?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Similar sorts thing just happened to me with Target...Recently applied for and received their Red store card, but then had to go to Puerto Rico...I just got back home last week, and in my mail there was a physical letter from them saying they noticed I haven't yet used my Red card

Like you said, why not just send me an email or app push notification?
You figure at the least it would save them money and be just as effective. Hope this isn't a trend, smartphones definitely seemed to cut the junk mail numbers, don't need that to make a comeback.