• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge

Job listings describe the store, which will be in Woodland Hills, California, as "Amazon's first grocery store." Amazon also told CNET that the store won't use the company's cashierless checkout technology from its Amazon Go stores, so it seems this grocery chain will have new Amazon branding.

The Wall Street Journal first reported on a new chain of Amazon grocery stores in March, and the report said the new chain would offer "a different variety of products" at a "lower price point" than Whole Foods. In October, the publication reported that the first stores in this new chain would open in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

Lower price than Whole Foods is something i'm interested in.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare scenario.

They were hiring up a lot of grocery-centric corporate positions recently as well.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So glad I am no longer in grocery/retail. It was already getting volatile enough and you know Amazon loves to disrupt the status quo.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Costco has shown that they are Amazon proof. They continue to grow and expand while hitting record profits/members.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lower price point huh? so they can finally pay for those benefits unlike those whole foods employee fat cats right?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
They want to compete with your local and national grocery stores. Walmart and Aldi can survive it, but not your small grocery store.
Certain regional chains will be fine, there is a lot of baked in loyalty. HEB in Texas for example would hold its own against an Amazon expansion into the state.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not here for more Amazon. Just another reason for Amazon to make a shit ton of cash by taking over a market by under cutting everyone and then treating their employees like trash.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, hope they bring these to SF, although I'm happy with the selection at Whole Foods.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I was hoping they would offer a Wal-Mart competitor versus strictly a dedicated grocery store chain. Let Whole Foods do the heavy lifting in that space. WalMart needs direct competition - and believe it or not Amazon actually does treat employees a ton better than WalMart ever will. Even those in the warehouse.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I for one welcome our new overlor...oh hell naw..is this the end game? Google merges with Amazon in 2028 to be defacto place to buy anything?

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Certain regional chains will be fine, there is a lot of baked in loyalty. HEB in Texas for example would hold its own against an Amazon expansion into the state.
I generally have ZERO brand loyalty. But for some odd reason that I can't explain, I am fiercely loyal to HEB. You bet I'll be ready for the Grocery Wars.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I generally have ZERO brand loyalty. But for some odd reason that I can't explain, I am fiercely loyal to HEB. You bet I'll be ready for the Grocery Wars.

Same here too, I get most of my stuff from Sams Club at bulk but i always make a stop at HEB to buy something, i think its ingrained into my brain since i was a child.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird they are gonna now have three grocery chains. To me it makes more sense to unify the store not make more.

Maybe they're worried about potential antitrust action and this is an attempt to stay in groceries if they lose Whole Foods?