• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are Parler's options for a service that can handle that kind of traffic? We know Google is out of the question, and I doubt Microsoft will touch them.

They are probably going to build their own servers and infrastructure. They are backed by Mercer money, and Mercer money is what helped Trump get elected in the first place. The only way to kill Parler is to make its traffic unrouteable between upstream providers. That is a dangerous precedent to set, even right now when we all agree Parler needs to be shut down.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
CheeryDistantAruanas-small.gif

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
They are probably going to build their own servers and infrastructure. They are backed by Mercer money, and Mercer money is what helped Trump get elected in the first place. The only way to kill is to make Parler traffic unrouteable between upstream providers. That is a dangerous precedent to set, even right now when we all agree Parler needs to be shut down.
But they can never push that update to iOS or Android, so the apps are dead forever.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Donald Trump Permanently Suspended From Twitter News

The web host is 100% going to shut the account down. Trump is gonna have to move to fuckin 4chan to be seen.

www.resetera.com

Donald Trump Permanently Suspended From Twitter News

Here's hoping Apple delivers a swift ban of the parler app.

SecondNature Akira Told ya'll. There was 0 chance this wouldn't happen, tbh. Trump moving there actually doomed them.

He's like a plague-carrier, now. Wherever he goes, L's will follow.

The last corner is TheDonald. I thought I saw something about them being threatened with shut down to, but I dont know for sure whats going on with that. Nonetheless, the right wing framing this as a freedom of speech issue is a narrative that they will dominate, and one that groups like Centrists will side with. The framing of this as liberal extremism and big tech oppression is how this will be pursued and more democrats and left wingers need to push back on it

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
I'm confused. They say they didnt use any AWS infrastructure (S3, what have you), but it'll still take them a while to get back online? And that they'll have to start from scratch? I'm curious how dumb things are.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. They say they didnt use any AWS infrastructure (S3, what have you), but it'll still take them a while to get back online? And that they'll have to start from scratch? I'm curious how dumb things are.
Very dumb, very very dumb.
Cloudflare isn't a host. They're a cache/proxy
I'm well aware, but that's what the who-hosts search popped up, but on second thought it may of been a redirect.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good, I was afraid Amazon was going to be all tech bro libertarian about it and not boot them. I suppose that just leaves whoever hosts that sad the_donald website built after they were kicked from Reddit, and /r/conservative - which is basically just the new the_donald at this point.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017

Tbh, the first tweet isn't really what's happening here, but will still take a while to get off the ground. It's not that it needs to be fully rebuilt, and depending on their foresight they may have migratable databases backed up. They'll mostly need to look at re-provisioning everything for a different service which is still a far from trivial task.

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
I'm curious how they are on AWS but "don't use any AWS infrastructure ". You can't run a dynamic website or app purely out of S3. S3 would be for static files. There has to be a database somewhere and APIs between the site/app and the database. Much less whatever they are using for authentication.

If their devs are as bad as everyone is saying, they probably followed various tutorials online for AWS which means they are actually VERY heavily tied to AWS and using multiple AWS services, which will make the migration to any other provider much more difficult, if not near impossible.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They are probably going to build their own servers and infrastructure. They are backed by Mercer money, and Mercer money is what helped Trump get elected in the first place. The only way to kill Parler is to make its traffic unrouteable between upstream providers. That is a dangerous precedent to set, even right now when we all agree Parler needs to be shut down.
No need. All that needs to happen is for Google to delist it, because:

Yes but most users, especially Parler are tech-illiterates.
I guarantee over 99% of its users will be SoL if they just can't find it on Google.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
They'll just movr to shitty russian servers like 8chan or Daily Stormer did. I cant imagine traffic on parlor being high.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, the first tweet isn't really what's happening here, but will still take a while to get off the ground. It's not that it needs to be fully rebuilt, and depending on their foresight they may have migratable databases backed up. They'll mostly need to look at re-provisioning everything for a different service which is still a far from trivial task.
I mean the CEO said himself "as we rebuild from scratch" which I guess could mean as they setup the new hosting, but also something in the back of my brain says they don't have source control and aws pulling them means they're donezo, which would be fucking hilarious. Highly unlikely though

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The last corner is TheDonald. I thought I saw something about them being threatened with shut down to, but I dont know for sure whats going on with that. Nonetheless, the right wing framing this as a freedom of speech issue is a narrative that they will dominate, and one that groups like Centrists will side with. The framing of this as liberal extremism and big tech oppression is how this will be pursued and more democrats and left wingers need to push back on it
I worry about the same thing, but at the same time: how much worse could it be? Like, all the hand-wringing and kid gloves and meeting halfway and refusing to ruffle feathers that we spent the whole Obama administration doing over these people just resulted in Trump winning in 2016.

And, frankly, I don't want the government getting involved and repealing section 230. I'm happy to let big tech follow the example of Hollywood with the MPAA and video games with the ESRB and clean their own house before politicians get too gung-ho about getting involved.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hnnnnggggggghhhhh. What a week it's been. Holy shit. It only took, idk, a domestic terrorist attack on our government after 4 years of undermining this nation by creating an underground conspiracy theory that you have to be fucking stupid to believe in and luckily for us we've got way more stupid people than anything else.
I guess all these moves from tech companies are ultimately good, but it's depressing to think that if Trump had won none if it would have happened.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm curious how they are on AWS but "don't use any AWS infrastructure ".

They're just running EC2 servers, but not using native tools like S3 or Lambdas.
A costly way of doing things but it works for a lift and shift model.

"Have to rebuild from scratch. Might take up to a week."

I took this quote as they have to rebuilt the servers from scratch, but the code can be deployed afterwards.
They sure as hell aren't rewriting their entire solution in one week.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
When that time comes, I'm going to make an account and pretend I'm the Assistant to the Department of Justice, and guaranteed nobody will be arrested as long as they give me all of their contact information, and it must be accurate in order for them to be fully absolved of any crimes, pinky swear!

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Well, of course they aren't rebuilding everything completely "from scratch", but it's what they said in the official communication in the screenshot from Parler so that's why she's saying that. Also, they wouldn't say something like this if the migration work wasn't colossal. It sounds like they need to completely rebuild their backend or something. And add to that all the different rumors about their backend currently being a complete mess... It looks like there's a lot of work ahead of them.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No need. All that needs to happen is for Google to delist it, because:

I guarantee over 99% of its users will be SoL if they just can't find it on Google.

This is why I think the purging of Trump and others + Parler being made irrelevant is going to stifle the Q and MAGA movements move then people yet realize. It was the CONVENIENCE of having easy to access and spread right-wing conspiracy shit to people who didn't know how to look for it like in decades past that allowed them to fester and grow up to this point.

That is GONE now. MAGA Grandma and Q Uncle are gonna have to actively search for this shit now, and the vast majority of them can barely use the internet/a smartphone as it is.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose they could use oricle, though for what I understand their cloud solution isnt good and run by aws rejects.