• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
via buzzfeed
Amazon on Saturday kicked Parler off its Web hosting services. Parler, a social network favored by conservative politicians and extremists, was used to help plan and coordinate the January 6 attempted coup on Washington D.C. It has recently been overrun with messages encouraging "Patriots" to march on Washington D.C. with weapons on January 19.

Amazon's suspension of Parler's account means that once the ban takes effect on Sunday Parler will be offline until it finds someone else to host it.

In an email obtained by BuzzFeed News, an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Trust and Safety team told Parler Chief Policy Officer Amy Peikoff that the calls for violence propagating across Parler violated its terms of service and that Amazon is unconvinced that the service's plan to use volunteers to moderate such things will be effective.

"Recently, we've seen a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms. It's clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service," the email reads. "[W]e cannot provide services to a customer that is unable to effectively identify and remove content that encourages or incites violence against others," the email reads. "Because Parler cannot comply with our terms of service and poses a very real risk to public safety, we plan to suspend Parler's account effective Sunday, January 10th, at 11:59PM PST."

another domino falls

flamingo

Oct 27, 2017
kek.gif

less

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if Amazon would do this but this is a fantastic move.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Nice. That could be quite serious for them.
If they used all of Amazon's native services they can't just pop Parler on Azure or whatever and have it work.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
So goes Apple so goes the nation lol. Wonder if they were just waiting for Apple to ban.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Let's keep it going until these crybabies have no means of hiding in their made up realities.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Lol its like the tech giants are in a dunking contest.

Apple: you've got 24 hours to solve an unsolvable problem

Google: we're not even gonna give you 24

Amazon: lol watch this

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see if anyone will host them, but hopefully not. This massive deplatforming of all the vile shit is incredibly overdue, but I'm still enjoying it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. The best part is, if they can't update the app on Google and iOS, even if they find a new host, the apps on those platforms will just break permanently, right?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The conservatives will scream repeal 230 in response, not realizing that without its protection no one would host them period.

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful.

Now all the angry mediocre white boys will scurry to the darkest corners of the internet and scream at nothing. Though I'm sure GAF will let them in with open arms.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I heard Parker's CEO on Kara Swisher's Sway podcast, and the level of willful ignorance was disturbing. Good riddance

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, Trump's apparently been looking for a social media site where he can have a big address or something. That's one candidate buried and...

nothing else to go?

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a vengeful dude, but boy it gives me pleasure to think this app and it's users are being stifled.... can only imagine the meltdowns!!!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit amaaaaaazing

They'll end up finding some shitty service but per usual, makes the service shakier, more expensive, ends up going over seas, adds risk.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ahahaha. Eat shit.

And lol @ every GOP who associated themselves with this terrorist platform, with their over-dramatic announcements of leaving Twitter.