• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Making alliances in the duos mode sounds interesting at least. Not sold on the gameplay yet but I'll try it since it's free to play.

I feel like new development teams need to release either a a single player or use an established IP for their first release nowadays. I just can't think of any multiplayer game released by a new AA or AAA studio that has released in the last 5 years that weren't poorly received.

Obviously, Single player games carry a different type of risk. But at least your game wont fade into oblivion when you only have 150 active players.
Though I get what you're getting at, the whole point of Amazon Games Studios is to leverage AWS, so all of their games will heavily feature if not rely on online connectivity in some way.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Though I get what you're getting at, the whole point of Amazon Games Studios is to leverage AWS, so all of their games will heavily feature if not rely on online connectivity in some way.
That's a very good point that I forgot about. I was (possibly incorrectly) thinking that the main goal of this studio was to become a World Leading game development team. like Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Microsoft, EA, Blizzard, the sorts. While the higher ups at Amazon probably want an internal team to flex their AWS muscles. Obviously if they become a leading development team in the process, they wouldn't complain. But that's probably not their goal.

Excellent point!

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Thought this was that MMO. I'd like to rest at inns with product billboards tailored to my purchase history and dragons flying ad banners in the sky, not this.

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
Of course I find Count in this thread as well. :P

Anyway, cautiously optimistic about this one. It has all the hallmarks of it being a total dumpster fire on launch followed by a a quick death 3 months after that but I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it a proper go. Hell, I actually had a ton of fun with the competitive mode in Battleborn and put in over 130hours into that (yes really) so I'm hoping this can scratch that itch for me. Also it's free and on Steam so why the hell not.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I find Count in this thread as well. :P

Anyway, cautiously optimistic about this one. It has all the hallmarks of it being a total dumpster fire on launch followed by a a quick death 3 months after that but I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it a proper go. Hell, I actually had a ton of fun with the competitive mode in Battleborn and put in over 130hours into that (yes really) so I'm hoping this can scratch that itch for me. Also it's free and on Steam so why the hell not.
I can't stay away from these damn shooters lol. I'll give it a shot but can't say I'm incredibly excited about what I've seen.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RPS preview sounds pretty good. I'm cautiously optimistic for this game. I hope it doesn't turn into another Paragon or Gigantic where I end up loving it but it gets killed off.
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amazon's Crucible is a refreshing take on the hero shooter

Amazon Games' Crucibile releases tomorrow, and we got a chance to chat to the devs about what to expect from their new take on the hero shooter.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
RPS preview sounds pretty good. I'm cautiously optimistic for this game. I hope it doesn't turn into another Paragon or Gigantic where I end up loving it but it gets killed off.
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amazon's Crucible is a refreshing take on the hero shooter

Amazon Games' Crucibile releases tomorrow, and we got a chance to chat to the devs about what to expect from their new take on the hero shooter.
One huge advantage to the other two is it will be on Steam day one and will have a lot of people streaming it on Twitch(at least for a bit). So if it's a good game it should find an audience.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
A game made by the company that owns Twitch?

This aint gonna be anywhere near doa lol.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fun, is free, might as well give it a go. Had no idea this is coming tomorrow lol.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why this isn't releasing on consoles. Also I nearly completely forgot about this game, or that Amazon was making games...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have high hopes for it but definitely going to give it a try. I'm in the mood for something this speed.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This full match with strat talk is interesting. It's really is a moba/hero shooter hybrid much more than other games in the subgenre. The map is huge with a lot of objectives. While teams are fighting and capturing main objectives other people are farming essence with PvE to level character skills. Seems like team comp and communication is pretty important at least in Heart of the Hive mode. The other two seem like the less tryhard modes.

Feb 16, 2018
i don't want to play any of these modes

this genre's weird. i thought we had a pretty good variety of modes 15 years ago, but i guess the microtransaction business model has driven game design off a cliff. everything is about characters and heroes and and PvE and upgrading shit all the time, which is the last thing i want to care about in a match-based game

it's a shame those MMO-FPS games never took off. that would be a good place for these types of designs

Ketenge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it something about the marketing of these types of games? Where they seem to be fishing for the 'streamer crowd' market? Everyone in this thread seems to agree that this looks incredibly generic. I do often wish that the incredibly talented people at these studios that make these games had better (fresher) direction, but they're 'following the money' I guess. That said, I don't want to be too cynical towards this game - I haven't even played it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Are people hating on the game because it is Amazon or are there legit previews showing the game is thrash?

Interested since it seems to be free.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like fun so I'll be giving it a solid shot. It's funny that it's getting knocked for "looking generic." In a game like this the most important thing should be how it plays.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
anyone know if this has controller support?

yes:

Em4ZrQul.jpg

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are people hating on the game because it is Amazon or are there legit previews showing the game is thrash?

Interested since it seems to be free.

I was among the invited press who checked it out ahead of launch, my article went live earlier today:

arstechnica.com

Crucible, Amazon’s new online shooter: Alexa, does this game have a chance?

Can Amazon’s uneven gaming track record put the “service” in “game as a service?”

If Amazon Game Studios had a deeper track record of launching and supporting Games as a Service, I would've had an easier time accepting their pitch and pledge for long-term support. This definitely skews more towards the MOBA side than the impactful shooter side, meaning, you're not going to have a great time jumping in blind and not understand the map and every possible strategy. It didn't lend itself well to a two-hour hands-on session, at least in terms of anyone making solid proclamations about what kind of experience to expect when it's a live product. (Might be why I've barely seen any sites talk about it today, in spite of Amazon hosting a *ton* of preview testing sessions. My Discord lit up all month with notifications of other tests, beyond the one I'd been invited to, since their PR group failed to boot me from that channel after my session concluded, lol.)

I will say, they're launching with three distinct modes, which seems a bit foolish to do in the game's early launch period—since each character type has VERY different impact between "eight squads of two face off against each other in battle royale" and "two squads of four face off in a MOBA-style control battle." And we all ran into some bugs in the early May test, remains to be seen how polished those will be once this goes live tomorrow.

But I'm definitely gonna log in and test it out. There's some talented folks working on this, including some ArenaNET veterans. Is that enough to make this a bonafide quality game worth recommending, though? We'll see.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
COD meets MOBA meets battle royale and even the name "Crucible" was lifted from Destiny. This game was born in a board room, so cringe.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how well the game will do, but there will be no shortage of streamers lining up for those Bezos Bucks to market this hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Looks kinda cool, hopefully they do a console version at some point.

Actually kinda surprised to see so many people outright shitting on it, definitely doesn't look that bad.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly doesn't look bad, but it seems Amazon has no idea how to launch a game properly. No hype, no fanfare. They should be doing esports tournaments or plastering this all over twitch

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks interesting and hell, it's free. No reason not to give it a spin. I hope it's good.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly doesn't look bad, but it seems Amazon has no idea how to launch a game properly. No hype, no fanfare. They should be doing esports tournaments or plastering this all over twitch
They could have went the Valorant route and made keys drop by watching to inflate numbers but there are sponsored streams tommorow. The good thing is it's free, has no loot boxes, is in Steamm and I believe if you play before June you get enough free credits to buy the first battle pass.

For the next few days there will be plenty of streamers on it and at 15 GB and free it's has a pretty low entry barrier. Where it goes from there is up to how good the game is.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it looks cool, it's not a straight FPS hero shooter like I thought it would be. It's more DoTA/LoL than Overwatch.

That said, I don't have any PC friends to play this with, which is why I never play shooters on PC...anyone here gonna be trying it out and have room for me to join? I don't wanna be going at this solo.

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
Managed to snag a key off their official discord (some streamer duder posted it, thanks!) so I get 3 hours of Early Access lol. Hype!

Here's an experienced player winning a BR game against some of the other experienced players right now: