• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
IGN said:
Amazon has announced that Crucible, its new free-to-play hero shooter, launches on May 20, and will ship with ten characters and three distinct game modes.

Crucible is a competitive game based around collecting Essence, which allows players to level up their characters and enhance their abilities. Team size and objectives depend on the game mode being played, which mix up both PvE and PvP gameplay.

Crucible will be available on PC via Steam from May 20. Amazon has made no mention of other platforms so far, so it is unclear if Relentless Studios plans to bring it to consoles.

Crucible's May launch was previously confirmed by The New York Times, which reported that the game was originally due to land in April. The shooter is just one of Amazon Games' larger portfolio, which also includes ambitious MMO New World.

www.ign.com

Crucible, Amazon's Free Shooter, Launches This Month - IGN

Amazon has revealed details and a May release date for its new PvP shooter, Crucible.

Last edited:

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I'll try it, looks like my kind of game. doesn't look that great but can't argue with free.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3rd person hero shooter in generic Unreal looking environment? Good luck to you Amazon.
With MOBA elements too! This game footage reminds me of Evolve and Paragon.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This looks good. are they using cryengine fork for all their games now

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad some mid level streamers will get a pay day via twitch bounties.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I'll give it a try. This is pretty out of no where, but it's cool to have the release be so close.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I can't exactly quantify it, because there's definitely a clear line between hero games that look unique and hero games that look completely forgettable & samey.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So is this a shooter MOBA like failed Battleborn?

Reminds me more of the gone-too-soon Gigantic, but yes it's a hero shooter MOBA type. The gamesradar preview gives a solid taste of what to expect.

Huh, I'll give it a try. This is pretty out of no where, but it's cool to have the release be so close.

According to the New York Times article about the game, it was originally going to release in March, and then mid-April, but was pushed due to covid-19.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like new development teams need to release either a a single player or use an established IP for their first release nowadays. I just can't think of any multiplayer game released by a new AA or AAA studio that has released in the last 5 years that weren't poorly received.

Obviously, Single player games carry a different type of risk. But at least your game wont fade into oblivion when you only have 150 active players.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It basically looks like an amalgamation of every dead on arrival multiplayer game in recent memory. I'm fascinated how this game came to be.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Between Bleeding Edge and now this, it's like:

InfamousFriendlyCalf-size_restricted.gif

"Battleborns... Battleborns everywhere."

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It basically looks like an amalgamation of every dead on arrival multiplayer game in recent memory. I'm fascinated how this game came to be.
It looks visually stunning but it looks way too close to things like Evolve, Bleeding Edge, and other stylized shooters/melee PVP games we've seen, totally.

I wish them luck because it's always nice to see another really great looking game in this general PVP space, I just think it's particularly crowded right now.

The alliances mechanic sounds interesting but if it's popular I could see other BR games adapting it and taking away that small unique selling point from Crucible.

Also, good luck competing with Destiny for the SEO term "Crucible".

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just get Gigantic back instead?

I'll probably try it since it's free, not expecting a whole lot. Also don't really want to play another multiplayer game with events, season passes, etc. which I assume are coming.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This looks rather interesting from a gameplay perspective. But man, why always go with that generic ass cartoony style. At this point they really all look like the same. But at least it doesn't look like a game from the early 2000s like Valorant (which on top of it's artstyle also looks like shit on a technical level). I will try this. It's free anyway. And it looks like we won't have to idle-stream Twitch to try it for ourselves ...

Honestly, all these hero shooter games look the exact same to me.
Paragon looked pretty nice IMHO, but Epic killed it after Fortnite became a success.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that sets valorant apart is that it's actually trying to go after CSGO not overwatch, sure it's got the "overwatch look" and it's got heroes with abilities but those are more accessibility / ease of understanding systems. The core gameplay is entirely modeled on CS. High emphasis on setup and execution of big plays that end the round quickly and decisively.

To be honest after that video I don't know what Crucible is going after.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
This looks rather interesting from a gameplay perspective. But man, why always go with that generic ass cartoony style. At this point they really all look like the same. But at least it doesn't look like a game from the early 2000s like Valorant (which on top of it's artstyle also looks like shit on a technical level). I will try this. It's free anyway. And it looks like we won't have to idle-stream Twitch to try it for ourselves ...

Paragon looked pretty nice IMHO, but Epic killed it after Fortnite became a success.

I liked Paragon, but I was never super into the artstyle. Not that this looks much better, sort of reminds me of Firefall.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Paragon, but I was never super into the artstyle. Not that this looks much better, sort of reminds me of Firefall.

Not saying that I was "super into" the art style. But it at least tried to look a bit unique. Some nice character designs as well.

Speaking of Firefall. I was super interested in that game when it was first announced, but then it kinda vanished for me. Did it ever make it out of early access/Beta or whatever state it was into? Was it any good?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
One would have thought that such huge company would make a proper research before commiting to releasing a game.

No one will play this, lol.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Not saying that I was "super into" the art style. But it at least tried to look a bit unique. Some nice character designs as well.

Speaking of Firefall. I was super interested in that game when it was first announced, but then it kinda vanished for me. Did it ever make it out of early access/Beta or whatever state it was into? Was it any good?

I watched the trailer again and was reminded of how cool some of the animations and stuff were at the time. Also Blizzard totally ripped it for Echo.

You know, I played Firefall back in the day, but I don't remember much of my time with it. I don't think it did too hot but I don't remember what happened to it at all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say it looks particularly unique or exciting but it's a free shooter, definitely giving it a fair shot. I'm liking Valorant a lot more than I expected so who knows.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys act like amazon via twitch isn't going to have every major streamer playing it on day one and force feed it's audience the marketing for the game

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
There are already too much hero shooters, with the budget amazon has they could have made some awesome singleplayer games

grosso_modo

Jun 8, 2018
Is there any indication of massive a la valorant twitch push???
It's a parent company game after all.