• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The game's first release date was May 2020, then moved to August 2020 and then moved to Spring 2021, this is the 3rd delay.
https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/new-world-developer-update
We've been hard at work on compelling end-game features we believe are important to include at launch. These features won't be ready for the Spring timeframe that we had communicated. With that in mind, we will release New World on August 31, 2021. With this extra time we'll be able to add these substantial improvements while polishing and fine tuning the whole game before we open Aeternum's shores to the world.

We'll continue our Alpha in the months to come and expand testing by standing up EU servers on March 30, 2021. Our Closed Beta will begin on July 20, 2021. If you've pre-ordered New World, you'll have access to the Closed Beta Test.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they redesign the focus of the game? Away from PVP?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I still don't get why their first two games are a MP shooter (already dead) and a MMO.

Start doing something a bit less ambitious.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
They definitely should take all the delays they require, Amazon Game Studios' production has been subpar so far and need this to be a hit, at least on some level.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They really should've started with a less ambitious game type. Tackling an MMO straight away isn't smart.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
It's pretty crazy seeing Amazon Game Studios first three PC game releases.

Breakaway - They released an alpha and then 2 years later officially cancelled.
Crucible - Released May 2020, due to poor performance went back into closed beta June 2020 then outright cancelled on October 2020, full refunds were offered.
New World - Delayed several times.

I really hope New World turns out great and works out for them.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
OIP.mbO7avm5A2o1vHYUBiiRlAHaIN

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
From the Preview period a while back (August-ish), impressions seemed generally positive, with the understanding that it was still a work in progress. I'm still optimistic on this one for some reason.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why their first two games are a MP shooter (already dead) and a MMO.

Start doing something a bit less ambitious.
Because their whole gaming push was basically meant as an advertisement for AWS services and to a lesser extent Lumberyard which is free to use if your game runs on AWS (I think they've since abandoned trying to use Lumberyard for all their games). That's why all of these are online focused and they're not interested in making games that aren't going to have some kind of integral online component.

Even that aside, a multiplayer PvP game is not all that ambitious compared to most single player games. You don't have to build out a giant world with a bunch of content and mechanics to keep the player engaged for 15-40+ hours. You just need to create fun mechanics, maps, and your AI is just for bots which no one has high expectations for because your players are fighting other players. Now building an MMO on the other hand I agree is totally ambitious. Especially in this day and age.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the game they would have put out first called Breakout got cancelled which was an arcadey sports game with hero characters.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Because their whole gaming push was basically meant as an advertisement for AWS services and to a lesser extent Lumberyard which is free to use if your game runs on AWS (I think they've since abandoned trying to use Lumberyard for all their games). That's why all of these are online focused and they're not interested in making games that aren't going to have some kind of integral online component.

Even that aside, a multiplayer PvP game is not all that ambitious compared to most single player games. You don't have to build out a giant world with a bunch of content and mechanics to keep the player engaged for 15-40+ hours. You just need to create fun mechanics, maps, and your AI is just for bots which no one has high expectations for because your players are fighting other players. Now building an MMO on the other hand I agree is totally ambitious. Especially in this day and age.

Today people have unrealistic expectations on updates for MP shooters (mostly done by Fortnite's weekly updates), so it sucks for small/unexperienced teams. Apex Legends suffered a big backlash at the beggining.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Today people have unrealistic expectations on updates for MP shooters (mostly done by Fortnite's weekly updates), so it sucks for small/unexperienced teams. Apex Legends suffered a big backlash at the beggining.
Agreed, but A) The teams are new, but the people on them are largely pretty experienced and B) It's still a genre that requires a lot less content wise up front with potential to be an evergreen product if it does hit. It's easier and less costly to fail fast and move on compared to building a large single player game.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty crazy seeing Amazon Game Studios first three PC game releases.

Breakaway - They released an alpha and then 2 years later officially cancelled.
Crucible - Released May 2020, due to poor performance went back into closed beta June 2020 then outright cancelled on October 2020, full refunds were offered.
New World - Delayed several times.

I really hope New World turns out great and works out for them.

Anyone know if killedbyamazon.com is available?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They're more or less making a different game than the one they set out to make, and then making so many system tweaks that it's hardly the same game it was at the initial time of delay. The game has so much PVE in it now, especially compared to what they were planning for last summer.

It's a project that reeks of people at the top not knowing what they want and just bending to the spur-of-the-moment feedback they get from players. Even the combat is different despite having a similar coat of paint.

At least it's kinda fun in the current iteration of the Alpha. Can't wait to try out some of the new stuff.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
The game actually seems really cool but I don't have a PC to play it. Maybe they will bring it to consoles.

I think they got in over there head with an MMO so the delays may be good. I know a few people who played and said it has "goooood bones"

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
God, at least just bring Lost Ark over quickly and fucking force the developers to give us the up to date version and not some reduced content shitpile from 2018.
If you can't even make your own game properly, at least try and publish someone elses well.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Probably figured out that you can't just throw a huge amount of money into a pot, shake it a little bit and magically concoct a well-selling video game and earn huge profits. Instead, it's hard work from the very beginning in the concept phase to the execution on every layer. Something they haven't figured out when they made The Crucible.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a decent time in the alpha a few months ago. Hopefully this actually comes out one day.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they redesign the focus of the game? Away from PVP?
That would be awesome to me. I just started playing ESO and I'm loving how relaxed it is with no one random killing me like they can in games like Black Desert Online.

Let them delay, as long as they can afford it (Amazon), wait for it to be a great game at launch instead of launching too soon and have to redesign core gameplay stuff (Avengers, Cyberpunk). This is much more important for a MMO where first release impressions are very important.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather them keep pushing it back than just rushing it out. Also like how it's more PvE focused now, so I may actually give it a shot. Amazon may not be the one to pull it off, but the MMO market really needs a push so I like they are at least trying.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I don't believe the game will be a success, simply because they have redone it now what? 3 times? not gonna mention the delay again and again and the amount of money the invested into it (and other failed titles). I think it was 3? years ago or so, that I played the initial press alpha build at an event, the game was supposed to be released a couple of month later (we were supposed to get access to the near final build soon). That was I think before the first do-over from New World. I don't know how they thought that the game was soon ready to be released back then and how they thought it would be a success. I tried it again a year later or so, but the game as still far from good or impressive in any way. They changed the direction and focus so often by now, in the hope of finding what players might actually like or want to play, I don't have much hope left (never had much hope for the game anyway since the first play session). Graphics were nice, controls were fine, but redoing the focus so many times...it is hard to believe that this ever will be successful.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's actually crazy to me how far removed what they showed in that trailer is from what I played like over a year or more ago in some early Alpha.
That early thing I played was kinda more a survival multiplayer game like ARK or even a bit like Valheim in some aspects.
Now it's a fully blown MMO with endgame zones and dungeons etc...
Pretty nuts actually to see something change THIS much.

I am actually a tiny tiny bit looking forward to trying it out.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I know it's cool to shit on this game ignorantly, but they've been constantly adding stuff like new weapons and systems, as well as overhauling some of the mechanics since last year's beta feedback. Everyone who've been following the development knew that they wouldn't make their target release window.

www.newworld.com

News

Get the latest news about New World events, updates, and more.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I know it's cool to shit on this game ignorantly, but they've been constantly adding stuff like new weapons and systems, as well as overhauling some of the mechanics since last year's beta feedback. Everyone who've been following the development knew that they wouldn't make their target release window.

www.newworld.com

News

Get the latest news about New World events, updates, and more.

Yea, its funny that all the people here are shitting on it without knowing much about the progress in the past months while most people who played and still are playing the alpha actually have very positive things to say about it. Especially on the latest update from one or two weeks ago.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
They really should've started with a less ambitious game type. Tackling an MMO straight away isn't smart.
At Amazon's scale, a modestly successful game doesn't move the needle at all, and a huge expensive failure also doesn't hurt them at all. Might as well swing for the fences even with a decent chance of failure

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually crazy to me how far removed what they showed in that trailer is from what I played like over a year or more ago in some early Alpha.
That early thing I played was kinda more a survival multiplayer game like ARK or even a bit like Valheim in some aspects.
Now it's a fully blown MMO with endgame zones and dungeons etc...
Pretty nuts actually to see something change THIS much.

I am actually a tiny tiny bit looking forward to trying it out.

Yeah, this has been one of the most open dev cycles I've seen lately. Super transparent, acting on player feedback, and really showing improvements.
New World is the absolute opposite of Cyberpunk in that sense.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
At Amazon's scale, a modestly successful game doesn't move the needle at all, and a huge expensive failure also doesn't hurt them at all. Might as well swing for the fences even with a decent chance of failure
You can have a highly successful game with an easier genre to tackle.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
You can have a highly successful game with an easier genre to tackle.
Of course you can. I'm merely saying that Amazon's corporate culture and broad revenue base leads them to be able to try things that may have a lower probability of success than a traditional gaming studio that really can't absord the loss of a AAA game bombing.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the upcoming beta something is limited in time or an early start ? Will there be a wipe ?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im kinda excited to see hows the game now but preorder only closed beta is meh.