• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, it's an old game with a sequel looming. Get the PC gamers hooked then Horizon 2 PS5 exclusive, I'm sure a lot of PC gamers who play Horizon would pick up a PS5 for Horizon 2.
This isn't a valid strategy to make money and the fact that it gets parroted on here is incredibly weird.

The number of people who would do this is less than the number of people who'd leave the PS ecosystem because Sony starts releasing games on PC.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Or they'll wait for Horizon 2 on PC.

Three years is a long time to wait!

This isn't a valid strategy to make money and the fact that it gets parroted on here is incredibly weird. The number of people who would do this is less than the number of people who'd leave the PS ecosystem because Sony starts releasing games on PC.
I think it's weird to criticize someone else's speculation around strategy while speculating yourself.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Bingo. If Sony is going to put Horizon on PC then it's only a matter of time for Horizon 2 as well. It may not be for a long time but I can wait. I bought a PS4 Pro purely for Horizon earlier this gen, but I had no reason to believe it would ever come to PC since no Sony exclusive ever has. I'm envious of the people who will get to experience Horizon for the first time on PC and I won't deny myself that with Horizon 2 since it will more than likely come to PC at some point.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Bingo. If Sony is going to put Horizon on PC then it's only a matter of time for Horizon 2 as well. It may not be for a long time but I can wait. I bought a PS4 Pro purely for Horizon earlier this gen, but I had no reason to believe it would ever come to PC since no Sony exclusive ever has. I'm envious of the people who will get to experience Horizon for the first time on PC and I won't deny myself that with Horizon 2 since it will more than likely come to PC at some point.
If porting their games to PC hurts their platform more than it helps, then the future of this strategy will remain under a question mark.

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019
This isn't a valid strategy to make money and the fact that it gets parroted on here is incredibly weird.

The number of people who would do this is less than the number of people who'd leave the PS ecosystem because Sony starts releasing games on PC.
I don't know. I don't think real Sony fans would wait 3 years without playing the exclusives just to play them on PC.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I guess the calculus might be that

Number of people who will be tempted to Horizon 2 on PS5 as a result of this > Number of people who will wait it out for Horizon 2 on PC

Or at least, this might be the hypothesis they want to test with this. If that didn't work out they probably would stop pursuing that strategy. That is, if the idea is to use this as, basically, an advertising vehicle for PS5 games to PC gamers rather than for the business that can be done in the PC space in its own right.

If porting their games to PC hurts their platform more than it helps, then the future of this strategy will remain under a question mark.

Bingo. That's if they're not interested in the PC business for its own sake. If it's a promo opportunity for PS to a cohort of relatively high spending players in the PC space, they obviously won't keep it going if it backfires or doesn't produce the results they want.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
if this is published by sony...maybe my hope of bloodborne for pc is coming afterall.

Still super excited to see how Horizon zero dawn looks cranked up on pc!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's weird to criticize someone else's speculation around strategy while speculating yourself.
I'm criticizing their speculation because it doesn't make financial sense.

I don't know. I don't think real Sony fans would wait 3 years without playing the exclusives just to play them on PC.
What do "real" Sony fans have to do with what I said?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Number of people who will be tempted to Horizon 2 on PS5 as a result of this > Number of people who will wait it out for Horizon 2 on PC

Or at least, this might be the hypothesis they want to test with this. If that didn't work out they probably would stop pursuing that strategy. That is, if the idea is to use this as, basically, an advertising vehicle for PS5 games to PC gamers rather than for the business that can be done in the PC space in its own right.

Or you know they want another revenue stream that is the PC. Releasing PS4 catalog 1st party games on PC...Its naive to think that sony won't ever dip into it when MS and all other companies are doing it except for nintendo...Sony at the end of the day only care about making a profit.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm criticizing their speculation because it doesn't make financial sense.

You're doing the same thing you're criticizing the other person for doing: speculating based on no information but your own butt. Unless you have information you haven't shared that makes it more informed?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Or you know they want another revenue stream that is the PC.

As I said, if they want to be in the PC business for its own sake, it's a different matter indeed. Not sure it's clear yet, but going by the strategy they adopted in other publishing ventures on non-PS platforms, it was usually about building bridges back to the PS ecosystem (and usually didn't work out, it has to be said... but this would be the first time they used full-fledged PS games in that effort).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Bingo. That's if they're not interested in the PC business for its own sake. If it's a promo opportunity for PS to a cohort of relatively high spending players in the PC space, they obviously won't keep it going if it backfires or doesn't produce the results they want.
I see it in 2 ways of approach, either they hope that it will pull more PC players to buying Horizon 2 and a PS5 when it comes out, or the other option is making a PC storefront and making PC a extension of their own platform. So either get a spike of PS5 sales, or offset those sales by people using your launcher, with the potential of expanding that store to a full fledged PC store with almost all PSN games on PC with their own trophy support, cross buy etc and keep high margins that way.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the goal is a new revenue stream by selling to a new audience. If people are now interested in PlayStation because of it, that's a bonus. I believe all of that would outweigh the comparatively few people who decide to stop buying PlayStation consoles because they can now play Sony games on PC.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

That depends on what their aim is. They might just want a piece of the PC install base rather than just a marketing attempt for PS5/Horizon 2. They're in the business of making money and putting their games on PC does just that considering how much bigger PC gaming has gotten.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I can't wait to play it again. I platinum'd it, played it again on Ultra Hard and will buy the PC version day one. It's definitely my GotG.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
As I said, if they want to be in the PC business for its own sake, it's a different matter indeed. Not sure it's clear yet, but going by the strategy they adopted in other publishing ventures on non-PS platforms, it was usually about building bridges back to the PS ecosystem (and usually didn't work out, it has to be said... but this would be the first time they used full-fledged PS games in that effort).
Well with all that said i really do think that they're gonna get their own launcher/PC store out later on while hopefully keep releasing games on steam because thats where majority of the PC crowd is which buys these AAA paid games.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure you are being disingenuous and miscontextualizing my argument.
The argument is seemingly "why would they waste money giving a cut to someone else", then tell me what is wrong when I say that them doing their own launcher would come with the caveat of :
- having no existing consumer base on it
- either a barebone platform, or a big investment ( both in time and money ) so it's not subpar

All that for a platform only seemingly used for late ports.

When in comparison a platform like Epic to try to make coming to their own new platform worth it, need to both offer a better cut, finance exclusive, and give free games to try to get a bigger consumer base, had already an existing player base with one of the biggest game ever on their platform, and still has a barebone platform after a year of working on it.

They wouldn't even have Quantics games, Death stranding, flower and Journey as exlusives for their platform on PC to help kickstart it because ... reasons ?

So.. is the reason they should make their own platform on PC because it makes sense, or because you don't like launcher """loyalty""" ?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I believe the goal is a new revenue stream by selling to a new audience. If people are now interested in PlayStation because of it, that's a bonus. I believe all of that would outweigh the comparatively few people who decide to stop buying PlayStation consoles because they can now play Sony games on PC.
That depends on what their aim is. They might just want a piece of the PC install base rather than just a marketing attempt for PS5/Horizon 2. They're in the business of making money and putting their games on PC does just that considering how much bigger PC gaming has gotten.
The thing is I dont see them just looking at releasing their games on Steam and EGS for making new revenue source (rather than hoping to sell PC players on the PS5) because they lose sales of their own platform (consumers who previously bought a PS4 with an exclusive, and later paid for PS+, third party game sales, smaller cut from software on third party launchers etc. ), if the plan is to create a new revenue stream, then they should look into creating their own launcher and sell all the third party titles that are on PSN there too.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I see it in 2 ways of approach, either they hope that it will pull more PC players to buying Horizon 2 and a PS5 when it comes out, or the other option is making a PC storefront and making PC a extension of their own platform. So either get a spike of PS5 sales, or offset those sales by people using your launcher, with the potential of expanding that store to a full fledged PC store with almost all PSN games on PC with their own trophy support, cross buy etc and keep high margins that way.

Yeah, there is more than one option I guess. On the other end of the scale, if it turns out to be massively successful in engaging PC players but without much cross-traffic to PS5 or whatever, then they're left with a question of how to move forward with the PC business... and big success could encourage a storefront/ecosystem attempt. But there's a lot of mileage between here and there, I suppose we will see how this one goes.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently sold a bunch of dota and cs skins so my Steam wallet is ready.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The argument is seemingly "why would they waste money giving a cut to someone else", then tell me what is wrong when I say that them doing their own launcher would come with the caveat of :
- having no existing consumer base on it
- either a barebone platform, or a big investment ( both in time and money ) so it's not subpar

All that for a platform only seemingly used for late ports.

When in comparison a platform like Epic to try to make coming to their own new platform worth it, need to both offer a better cut, finance exclusive, and give free games to try to get a bigger consumer base, had already an existing player base with one of the biggest game ever on their platform, and still has a barebone platform after a year of working on it.

They wouldn't even have Quantics games, Death stranding, flower and Journey as exlusives for their platform on PC to help kickstart it because ... reasons ?

So.. is the reason they should make their own platform on PC because it makes sense, or because you don't like launcher """loyalty""" ?

Because I never said they'd exclusively release their games on their own launcher.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The thing is I dont see them just looking at releasing their games on Steam and EGS for making new revenue source (rather than hoping to sell PC players on the PS5) because they lose sales of their own platform (consumers who previously bought a PS4 with an exclusive, and later paid for PS+, third party game sales, smaller cut from software on third party launchers etc. ), if the plan is to create a new revenue stream, then they should look into creating their own launcher and sell all the third party titles that are on PSN there too.
Ofcourse they intend to create their own launcher. For a big company like sony it seems like a no brainer but at the same time, its pivotal that they keep the good will and the audience in mind. 1+1=2 here. Keep releasing games on steam and soon after create your own launcher, polish it and add incentives to the PC customers to buy their than steam instead of making it exclusive. If they go straight to the exclusive launcher route then they will fail if they expect to sell 1M+-3m+ from the PS4 catalog.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am interested in seeing the level of investment in this port, I am sure that there will be the usual 60fps, native 4k etc. options, but how far are they taking this?

How far they go on this port will be a tell on their future PC plans imo. If it's just a bare bones port then I wouldn't get excited for more and it probably only exists due to Death Stranding coming to PC.

If they go all out then it shows Sony really care about the PC platform.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
it released literally at the worst time. Everyone was on holiday, and when we came back, no one gave a shit.

I feel bad, becaue it is QUALITY. I just cannot make a random video out of the blue on it though... not sure how and if we can cover it atm.
Its understandable, you still doing great work!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna buy the hell out of this on Steam, A: because its a great game and B: becuase I want to show Sony that PC ports of their games are worth the time.
Bloodborne at 60fps I can taste iiiiit

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
How far they go on this port will be a tell on their future PC plans imo. If it's just a bare bones port then I wouldn't get excited for more and it probably only exists due to Death Stranding coming to PC.

If they go all out then it shows Sony really care about the PC platform.
I think there is more to it than that. In my mind I think that Sony still wants to position the PS consoles as the "best place to play", so with that in mind, would they enforce graphical setting parity (beyond resolution and framerate)? Will they offer features that the PS4/5 versions does not/ will not have like mod support?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
it released literally at the worst time. Everyone was on holiday, and when we came back, no one gave a shit.

I feel bad, becaue it is QUALITY. I just cannot make a random video out of the blue on it though... not sure how and if we can cover it atm.

Make one when/if it comes out on Steam? That'd be as good a time as possible I think. I know I was mightily impressed with it on PS4 and I'm planning on getting it when it's on Steam, ready to be blown away.

I'd love a video on it anytime though!

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
People celebrating buying a game twice is a take

game will look amazing if my base PS4 was anything to go by

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020

the only reason it took that long in this instance is because they were building the Decima engine on the PC for Death Stranding.

Expect Guerilla Games to have a quicker turn around going forward.

God of War took, what, exactly 1.5 years to hit the PC via PSNow? I'd expect that to be more the rule for getting access to Sony published games outside of PlayStation hardware.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is more to it than that. In my mind I think that Sony still wants to position the PS consoles as the "best place to play", so with that in mind, would they enforce graphical setting parity (beyond resolution and framerate)? Will they offer features that the PS4/5 versions does not/ will not have like mod support?

It will be hard to tell without having the PS5 version to compare it to of course but I'm expecting a straight resolution / framerate improvement for PC with maybe a patch later if they go further on PS5.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I think it'll be per-pixel what you get on PS4, but with higher resolution/framerate/filtering options. Asset changes or significant new shader options, for example, wouldn't be impossible, but I would expect they'll keep their powder dry on that side for Horizon 2.

It'll be gorgeous anyway.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

If it hurts PS5 sales or PS5 sales of their games, this is end of the PC port. This is a business. But I don't think it will be the case. They want to have new players. And I don't think PC players will buy PS5 when Hotizon 2 release, they will wait.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If it hurts PS5 sales or PS5 sales of their games, this is end of the PC port. This is a business. But I don't think it will be the case. They want to have new players. And I don't think PC players will buy PS5 when Hotizon 2 release, they will wait.
Considering they flirted with console exclusives since the start of the PS4 generation, i bet they have the data to support themselves to at least port the PS4 catalog to PC without hurting the PS5 sales IMO.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ideally this is true and not an EGS exclusive.

If it is, then I'll play the waiting game to see which happens first:

a) the game also comes to Steam
b) EGS implements achievements and payments in CAD.