• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘The Boys’ Spinoff Put On Fast-Track Development At Amazon Following Mothership’s Record Season 2 Launch

Amazon’s superhero series The Boys is getting a spinoff set in superhero college. The project, written by The Boys executive producer Craig Rosenberg, had been in the works for awhile. It is …

Amazon's superhero series The Boys is getting a spinoff set in superhero college.

The project, written by The Boys executive producer Craig Rosenberg, had been in the works for awhile. It is being fast-tracked in light of the success of the original series' second season which marked the most-watched global launch of an Amazon Original series ever. The Boys' first season already had set a high viewership mark for Amazon when it debuted in summer 2019. In its first two weeks, Season 2 has nearly doubled the Season 1 worldwide audience (+89%), drawing millions of new viewers each week.

Set at America's only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone needs a spin-off these days!

Better Call Saul is the only one I've seen that works though (and really, is a complete prequel than a spin-off, really).

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the reaction to Stormfront and Homelander they realized all the weird super-sex stuff they can do, that's what I expect this show will be.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This could be good. I kind of groaned reading the headline at first despite loving the show, but I'm definitely intrigued.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Never heard the (non-spinoff) main title be referred to as mothership lol, but they could some pretty cool things with the world it's set in

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Huh colour me curious but this wasn't something I expected or needed. Will watch if it's near as good as The Boys though.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of Garth Ennis inspiration are they going to take?
DBVeVX7UwAEkjvl.jpg:large

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
The Boys is easily one of my top shows right now so if it's all done in the same style, as the article suggests it will be, I'm in. More of that is fine by me, no complaints whatsoever. And I do quite like the concept, too. Should be pretty interesting.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Love the Boys but I hate when companies do spin offs before finishing the original show. Also superhero college sounds terrible to me but shrug.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Love the boys, but we'll see if this will be any good. Homelander kinda carries the main show. Hope it's good though! More boys can't hurt.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That premise sounds pretty terrible. I love The Boys show so maybe if the same creatives are involved they can make something of it, but seems like there's way more avenues for shiftiness than there is for something decent.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
That premise sounds pretty terrible. I love The Boys show so maybe if the same creatives are involved they can make something of it, but seems like there's way more avenues for shiftiness than there is for something decent.

Yeah. Ironically this sounds like a storyline out of the comic, and as it's been said before this adaptation has been about improving the juvenile source material

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm not surprised in the slightest.

In the new streaming world if you are a TV series that has even a sliver of success (however that's judged anymore) then a spin-off (at least one) is a given.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list of people not swayed by the premise, but who will check it out because of the universe.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think this is somewhat inspired by something in the comics. Not sure if that was in season 2 but definitely not in season 1.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not turn this into another Walking Dead...
Not every "successful" show needs more spin offs.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sony Pictures TV made Deadly Class as well (bring it back). A mix of that and The Boys sounds good to me.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the show but they haven't really figured out the titular Boys one and a half seasons in. I dunno about a spinoff. The show is carried by the villains at the moment.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the dorm going to have a theater room with lube and tissue dispensers in every seat? For authenticity.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Clicked with hope they could redeem Herogasm, leaving disappointed realizing it's just the usual milk the hot property.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't sound good. They are going to milk the hit show they have for all its worth. My worry would be that the main series is going to be dragged on needlessly.