• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a single "bad" Bond movie. There are better and weaker ones, but I pretty much love all of them.
Of course I know nothing about the market worth of the franchise. But it certainly is one of my favorite franchises. There just isn't anything similar on the market.
You cant in good consciousness tell me Moonraker is a good movie.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
A James Bong tv show would be a obvious huge mistake. It would debase a near century cinematic legacy

I could be convinced of a young M in the 1950s or 60s tv show however... but thats just Sharon Carter.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine Amazon agreed to this deal without speaking to Barbara Broccoli on what it would mean for Amazon and Bond going forward.

Deleted member 67800

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
E2UJZ5mXoAQ_U0b

For Amazon, snapping up MGM — which has more than 4,000 movies and 17,000 TV shows in its catalog — is a way to supercharge its Prime Video service with a slew of well-known entertainment titles. In addition, Amazon is anticipating being able to mine Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer properties like the Pink Panther, Rocky and, yes, the 007 franchises for new originals.

"The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of [intellectual property] in the deep catalog that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM's talented team," Mike Hopkins, senior VP of Prime Video and Amazon Studios, said in announcing the deal. "It's very exciting and provides so many opportunities for high-quality storytelling."

Hopkins noted that MGM productions collectively have won more than 180 Oscars and 100 Emmys. The studio has roughly 800 employees globally.

The MGM deal is Amazon's second-largest acquisition, behind its $13.7 billion purchase of Whole Foods in 2017. Amazon didn't say when it expects to close the MGM acquisition, which is subject to regulatory approvals and other routine closing conditions; however, insiders believe the pact will be approved by the end of 2021. The purchase price includes the assumption of MGM's debt. MGM will continue to operate as a label under the Amazon brand.

variety.com

Amazon Buys MGM, Studio Behind James Bond, for $8.45 Billion

Amazon officially announced a deal to acquire MGM for $8.45 billion, bringing the ecommerce giant a wealth of movie and TV properties.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sony has some level of creative control. The Russo brothers highlighted that they had to convince Sony to approve Holland as Spider-Man.

www.indiewire.com

Russo Brothers Recall How Sony Didn’t Want to Cast Tom Holland as Spider-Man

Holland stars in the Russos' PTSD drama "Cherry" and will soon reprise his role as Peter Parker in "Spider-Man: No Way Home."
The two deals aren't the same for various reasons (like Sony have the rights to make films based on other Spider-Man characters and has creative control on them), but they're still similar. I'm just trying to illustrate that having creative control isn't as important as getting most of the box office. EON Productions and Marvel Studios have reliably made money with the films they've had creative control over. Getting to release one of their films and make the money on it is of far more interest to the suits than whether or not you can control the creative direction of the thing.

It'll remain in EON's interests to keep making successful Bond movies no matter who owns MGM, since it's their only cash cow. They don't have the same critical success as Marvel, but they clearly keep trying to make good films that people enjoy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love all of the speculation about how Jeff Bezos now owns the outtakes and hidden footage from The Apprentice

👀

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully good, the Expanse final season is coming soon and Stargate could quite easily fill that sci-fi gap for them if they throw it enough budget to compete with the Star Wars and Star Trek shows

Or they could have just spent a tiny fraction of that money to adapt the last three books of the Expanse.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Perfect. This is one of the exceptional cases where Amazon acquiring a company will actually benefit the brand itself. I'll go ahead and break down the key assets that Amazon will be getting from this.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: Outside of the obvious stake in the James Bond property, they'll also be getting the Rocky, RoboCop, Pink Panther and Legally Blonde franchises. Legally Blonde has a sequel coming up and Sylvester Stallone has been shopping the idea for a Rocky prequel series so they're going to be Amazon's priority. Amazon also finally has a theatrical distribution arm that they can use to compete against Disney, Warner Bros, Universal, Sony and Paramount Pictures.

Orion Pictures: Stargate is the most notable television franchise here and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a reboot for it as a Prime Original. Orion Pictures is also the brand that acquired the rights to a bunch of pre-1984 feature films from other Hollywood studios which gives this label a sense of prestige that seperates it from the MGM parent company and provides Amazon with their own Criterion Collection.

United Artists: United Artists Releasing is the brand that MGM uses to collaborate with Annapurna Pictures, this is going to be the biggest question mark of the acquisition because this business is strictly theatrical in nature so we'll see how Amazon approaches this joint-venture.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Marvel Entertainment was a licensor back then with no media distribution channels of their own and their most popular character's movie rights were with Sony and 21st Century Fox. Even Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was distributed under Paramount Pictures so the valuation for them was appropriate at the time.

People often forget how instrumental Disney marketing, merchandising and media distribution were for Marvel Studios. No other studio would have invested in Kevin Feige like Disney has, they would have likely retained Ike Perlmutter because he's the money man.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Perfect. This is one of the exceptional cases where Amazon acquiring a company will actually benefit the brand itself. I'll go ahead and break down the key assets that Amazon will be getting from this.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: Outside of the obvious stake in the James Bond property, they'll also be getting the Rocky, RoboCop, Pink Panther and Legally Blonde franchises. Legally Blonde has a sequel coming up and Sylvester Stallone has been shopping the idea for a Rocky prequel series so they're going to be Amazon's priority. Amazon also finally has a theatrical distribution arm that they can use to compete against Disney, Warner Bros, Universal, Sony and Paramount Pictures.

Orion Pictures: Stargate is the most notable television franchise here and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a reboot for it as a Prime Original. Orion Pictures is also the brand that acquired the rights to a bunch of pre-1984 feature films from other Hollywood studios which gives this label a sense of prestige that seperates it from the MGM parent company and provides Amazon with their own Criterion Collection.

United Artists: United Artists Releasing is the brand that MGM uses to collaborate with Annapurna Pictures, this is going to be the biggest question mark of the acquisition because this business is strictly theatrical in nature so we'll see how Amazon approaches this joint-venture.
You're missing Epix, which will help them gain access to third party film rights (they just extended their deal with Paramount for example), and give Prime Video an option to feature its originals if they choose to do so (as Warner is doing with HBO)

The biggest gain from this aside from the film library is MGM's TV production capabilities because it'll help Prime Video finally build the traction they need without having to rely on other studios.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of money to spend for a franchise where the male main character bangs the gay out of a lesbian

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That seems like a lot of money for a studio with not that many big IPs....unless I'm wrong?

This post below me breaks down the IP that Amazon are most likely to franchise as part of Prime Originals.

Not surprised honestly. Also MGM has been on life support for years, being held together by hedge fund investment managers. At least it will have a home where the IPs and movies/shows will have a spotlight.

Credit to these hedge-fund managers for reviving the United Artists and American International Pictures brands but they just didn't have the capital to invest their collection of intellectual property to their full potential.

Monopoly only applies if it is Disney.

The acquisition of 21st Century Fox was ultimately a loss of fair marketplace competition, differential content and job opportunities in Hollywood. Even if it did provide Marvel Studios more character rights with the X-Men and Fantastic Four returning home, giving Simpsons a streaming home with Disney+ and giving Disney a stake in Hulu to place their adult content film library, the negatives of that merger outweighed the positive.

With all that being said, Amazon has the perfect opportunity to make Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer the new Major Hollywood studio to take over 20th Century Fox's place with more marketing and advertising spend and in-house theatrical distribution. They won't have to rely on the competition for international distribution anymore.

You're missing Epix, which will help them gain access to third party film rights (they just extended their deal with Paramount for example), and give Prime Video an option to feature its originals if they choose to do so (as Warner is doing with HBO)

The biggest gain from this aside from the film library is MGM's TV production capabilities because it'll help Prime Video finally build the traction they need without having to rely on other studios.

Apologies, I'm not too familiar with Epix so thanks for pointing out that valuable asset.

Oct 27, 2017
This better not fuck up back-catalog releases on physical media. I have no interest in amazon streaming shit, so i don't care about these reboots, but MGM has a rich library i don't want to see locked away.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, with how things left off with SGU, they could probably write in that they were out longer than they thought.

I don't know about "out longer than they thought". a couple of them could pass for not aging a day like maybe Camile or Volker.

On the other hand "Eli, How did your pod make you buff? My pod didn't do that!"

If they were to bring back Universe, it would have to pick up several years after coming out of the pods and would probably involve finding another Icarus planet and repairing the ship enough to dial home so they could explain personnel changes. It would likely be impossible to rehire everyone.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that the Bond 4k set is ready by the time No Time To Die releases. Only having the Craig movies in 4k is terrible...

Not to mention the scene where Bond is running around in a fucking clown suit.

It's a visual metaphor for the entire movie.

Octopussy is rough... I know people have their problems with A View To A Kill, but at least it's a fun film. Octopussy is just... Bad...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
variety.com

Jeff Bezos on MGM Acquisition: Amazon Will ‘Reimagine’ Studio Franchises ‘for the 21st Century’

zz/Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx Popular on Variety Amazon founder, chairman and CEO Jeff Bezos said the ecommerce giant’s $8.45 billion bid for MGM was driven by a desire to obtain the storied studio’s intellectual property — and create new offshoots based on that. “We’re looking forward to...

Jeff Bezos references Thelma and Louise and Raging Bull when talking about the intellectual property Amazon values in MGM. Amazon Studios and MGM are going to collaborate to reinvent select titles from their back catalogue for the 21st Century.