• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I found these bits rather interesting taken from their Q:

How long will early access pricing for Luna+ last?
$5.99/month introductory pricing is only available during Luna early access.

Which controllers are compatible with Luna?
You can play with the Luna Controller, Xbox One controller, DualShock 4 controller, or use a mouse and keyboard.

So the cost will go up at some point and you can use an array of controllers to play them with. Always worth considering.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you feel that is?

Microsoft is a direct competitor on the high end console market and just purchased one of the largest software publishers in existence. There is zero chance you see the next Elder Scrolls game on a Sony console. All the big tech companies like Microsoft and Amazon are just getting started in these types of acquisitions, even though they'll be on a smaller scale than Bethesda.

Sony cannot ignore Microsoft. Nintendo can definitely keep doing its own thing...until the day it can't.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the SNES/PS1 design is really what begat most modern controllers, but this has such 1:1 compositional similarities to the Switch Pro controller I honestly thought it was one on first blush.

nintendo-switch-pro-controller-negro-02-ad-l.jpg

0-msedge-r3ufclrsdh.jpg

Good point. The analog sticks on the Pro are amazing.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Already better than Stadia and it hasn't even launched yet... that said, Amazon is dreaming if they think they'll be able to get an iOS app out where both Microsoft and Google have failed.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Controller looks nice. Just picked up a Fire TV 4K for $25 (5 monthly payments of $5!), so hopefully I'll get in EA.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
They won't have to worry. MS, Amazon, and Google will seem to focus on offering packages that provide an abundance of games for a low price. These games will be widely available across all platforms, including PlayStation, where the only differentiating factor is price. This is a highly volatile market that MS, Google, and Amazon are participating in, one that is fitting for companies that have huge wallets but don't have any established, exclusive IP. Sony and Nintendo literally can ignore what is going on with these companies.

Nintendo and especially Sony can't ignore what's going with the market. Amazon will undoubtedly acquire more studios and publishers, Sony relies on third parties for their ecosystem and Sony isn't focused on a subscription service.

Microsoft, Amazon, Google will for the intermediate term release on consoles, but they will not release their acquired publisher games on their streaming service.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This news coupled with MS announcing the Bethesda purchase might actually bode well for Sony fans tbh. MS sees Amazon as the true threat and may not care if some games get on PS5 or not, IMO.
Still doubt it, but I think there's more of a chance of this than I did yesterday.

I'm ok with MS doing whatever it takes to keep Amazon, Google and Facebook from gaining a foothold in this industry, even if it means helping to strengthen the current players.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike Amazon's model for streaming movies. Titles are spread across different subscriptions and providers, so the choice is complicated by having to decide whether to subscribe to yet another service just to watch one movie. I prefer the gamepass model of everything one place without any thinking.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
More low effort, low investment garbage a la Stadia.

Wake me up 3 years AFTER Amazon spends 20 Billion acquiring studios. Anything less is not going to cut it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike Amazon's model for streaming movies. Titles are spread across different subscriptions and providers, so the choice is complicated by having to decide whether to subscribe to yet another service just to watch one movie. I prefer the gamepass model of everything one place without any thinking.
Amazon only spreads movies out between Prime (free movies) and everything else (paid movies). The other providers and subscriptions are just them offering to let you subscribe to like HBO or Stars or whatever and view those companies' own streaming services on the same device with the same interface.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
While a little strong, this mostly reflects my thoughts.

I have to pay $60 for a controller and then also $6 per month to play Control (pretty cool!) and then a bunch of games that are 2+ years old?

Who is this good value for?

You don't have to buy a controller.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Is the controller just the Stadia controller with a different color? lol

This already sounds better than Stadia but I am always skeptical until they really show it for real(not sure if they have only saw the initial news)

I have to pay $60 for a controller and then also $6 per month to play Control (pretty cool!) and then a bunch of games that are 2+ years old?

Just like Stadia I think the target audience are casuals or gaming fans that have fallen off because of work/family etc and they have a quick and easy way to pick up and revisit all the old games they may have missed in the last 10 years.

I wish the actually marketed it for them. At least that is who Stadia is for.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is a direct competitor on the high end console market and just purchased one of the largest software publishers in existence. There is zero chance you see the next Elder Scrolls game on a Sony console. All the big tech companies like Microsoft and Amazon are just getting started in these types of acquisitions, even though they'll be on a smaller scale than Bethesda.

Sony cannot ignore Microsoft. Nintendo can definitely keep doing its own thing...until the day it can't.
Ninetndo's ecosystem is pre-historic. Very frustrating. But fans don't care. Yeah, who knows how long that can keep going.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon only spreads movies out between Prime (free movies) and everything else (paid movies). The other providers and subscriptions are just them offering to let you subscribe to like HBO or Stars or whatever and view those companies' own streaming services on the same device with the same interface.

Yes, but it feels like that spread of titles onto other services has been happening from the last few years. This is purely subjective an ancedotal, but it feels like more and more titles have been moved to these other companies.

It's a complaint with the the way the industry is going, plus the user experiences. I don't wish to be shown things that aren't on the service I'm using. I don't want them appearing in my searches, getting me to click on a title and seeing that it's on another fucking service that requires more money.

EDIT - of course my annoyance isn't directed at your or your post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Already better than Stadia and it hasn't even launched yet... that said, Amazon is dreaming if they think they'll be able to get an iOS app out where both Microsoft and Google have failed.
Amazon and Apple are in cahoots. Apple is probably allowing them exclusive access to their users for whatever reason (perhaps a giant check as per usual)

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Sorry if this has been asked again, but how will this work on iOS? Wasn't their big issue with xCloud that you could launch different games within one app? So will you just access Luna through a web browser?

Oct 31, 2017
This has the same problem Stadia has. Lack of exclusive content. Gamepass is starting to become very desirable with its content. Google and Amazon will have to start opening up that checkbook and acquire publishers/developers if they want to compete.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Already better then fucking stadia. Should have a prime/Luna bundle though.

Controller colour scheme is nice too.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
What is Sony's position on this market? They arent on top are they? PSNow seems so whatever

MS has both streaming and Gamepass right? And Nintendo is doing nothing?
I'm guessing they don't see this business as a major threat. Sony has invested and researched this segment for decades.

Both Nintendo and Sony are market leaders in gaming with real cache and premium hits people know and will pay for.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
More low effort, low investment garbage a la Stadia.

Wake me up 3 years AFTER Amazon spends 20 Billion acquiring studios. Anything less is not going to cut it.

Hey man, this is disrespectful to the devs who worked on the project. I know people in the cloud gaming field, and I can tell you they were very dedicated to the project.

I won't comment on the investment part because I honestly cannot grasp big corp numbers lol

What I still don't get is why are companies throwing so much money at cloud gaming when, at least on a casual glance, doesn't seem to be a market gaining traction? Does anyone have more data on this? I am very curious about the why

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
If Amazon is planning on having a local gaming option then I hope they buy Take Two and crack the whip at Rockstar to make them stop taking so long for every GTA.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Families who never spend more than $200 on a console and much less than that to buy games every year. Not everyone is in a position to have the latest gear right away.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Not thrilled about Amazon throwing their weight around, but it's also inevitable. A decade hence, I can see a future where the big players are Amazon and Microsoft in the cloud streaming space, and Sony and Nintendo sticking with traditional consoles (though I see Sony doing a half measure between a streaming box and a tract console still).

No idea if Google continues on with Stadia or not.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finally a stream service that will do what stadia should've did in the first place. Unless Stadia wants to go under, they're going to have to follow suit.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well, I guess it will be interesting to see how the tech compares to the others. Business model certainly has a big leg up over Stadia.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Eventually the future will be both Microsoft, Amazon, Sony will offer a base subscription service. Then you will have to subscribe to add-ons for each company, like an additional $5 a month for Ubisoft, $5 for Activision, etc.