• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol. Part of me wants them to buy a publisher or two just to see the reactions from those cheering on the Zenimax deal.

Not even in the same league. MS will put those games on PC and multiple consoles as well as streaming. Anything Amazon buys will be stuck on a cloud service.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Using my normal bluetooth controllers with my Fire Stick for GeforceNow/Steam Link has been a nightmare, might pick just the controller up if it works out of the box.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Microsoft is smart to court Sony for Azure. I see a future with these two on the same service.
Yea, good point. We'll see how that plays out. Will MS allow Sony to put PS5 hardware in Azure datacenters? Or will they have to make XSX versions of their exclusives? XD

It's nebulous, so who knows.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Twitch integration instead of Youtube is pretty much already the final nail in Stadias coffin. They just took to long to deliver, and then delivered absolutely nothing. If this actuall works AND will be available on IOS, Stadia might as well just give up.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is who Microsoft is really preparing for with the acquisitions for GamePass

yes so much this

THIS is why microsoft aquired bethesda

.... and now i believe ms will get more devs and possiblt even another publisher

because otherwise amazon will get then

sony and nintendo will need to lock themselves in the kidsroom and hope they get some crumbs

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is big for 3rd party games, you can basically play games like assassins creed Valhalla day 1 for 6$
Nah, this functions like the premium channels in Amazon Prime Video, where you have to pay extra for additional subscriptions from premium channels (like Starz etc).

Nonetheless, no doubt in my mind that this is the direction our hobby is going now.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
If you're not interested in the lineup, one thing to keep in mind is that the early days of Prime streaming was bad. It was really bad. Back then it was just there to ignore since all one wanted was prime shipping. Then they added HBO shows and it became a Wire and Sopranos streaming service. Then they added Epix which added a bunch of blockbusters like some Marvel movies (this is back in like 2012). Then eventually they kept signing more and more distributors and it became a competitor for backlog titles with Netflix. Then they started funding original TV shows (remember the Zombieland pilot) where eventually they started producing well received content. Now they fund production for films and are a regular in purchasing streaming rights for films in festivals. Amazon Prime music wasn't all that good in the beginning now but I assume their music streaming service subscriptions would be solid now. All of Amazon's streaming services content lineup sucked compared to competition for a few years until it didn't

It may be mediocre content wise now compared to the competition, but in the last 8 years their other services all became competitive. In the case of Film and TV, they would produce content and buy out well received festival content so don't be surprised when future hyped up titles get scooped up as exclusives or studios get bought

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Well ResetERA just educated me on PSNow, the service sounds legit and they've done a bunch of work with it but don't push it for whatever reason? If Sony wanted to, they could catch up to GamePass fairly fast.
PS Now is, of course, going to be (or is already?) hosted on Azure lol. They can't possibly compete with Microsoft's margins.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well ResetERA just educated me on PSNow, the service sounds legit and they've done a bunch of work with it but don't push it for whatever reason? If Sony wanted to, they could catch up to GamePass fairly fast.
If Sony wanted to put in tons of money, they could. But they destroyed its reputation and haven't done much to fix it. The value proposition is also not as good for one major reason (the same that people complain about Xbox for) - the library. Game Pass just has the better library, hands down, despite only having 1/3 as many games.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
wow did not see this coming. apparently the netflix model is very lucrative if all these major companies are getting into the subscription cloud gaming. ill be surprised if sony doesnt follow suit eventually. now that amazon is taking a serious step towards gaming, one can wonder what they could do with their warchest. nothing will be off the table if they decide to throw 11-figure numbers at publishers and devs...

$6/mo plus linked to twitch (which they've given away shit ton of games), im in

edit: oops forgot theres psnow lol. shows how forgettable it is

Last edited:

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
The Cloud wars are beginning now, with Google, Amazon and MS wanting us to use there cloud service. Who's Nintendo's and Sony'scloud supplier, just curious.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
No. Xbox Series S/X. I will fight you.
CJPKmjR.jpg
I will love you.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Google stadia but better and cheaper... interesting.

Guess shit like this is why Microsoft has been pushing xCloud and Gamepass so much recently. The future of gaming really is streaming at this point...

I really hope Sony (and Nintendo, but I am less worried about them for whatever reason) aren't left behind by the push towards the cloud, as Sony (and Nintendo, but they may be able to survive still as for the past 20 or so years they have strived at being different) is by far the most behind when it comes to cloud gaming and infrastructure, and they seem to not really have any plans for PSNow

Nintendo will be Roku. The best device from which to use the streaming services. Sony is in an awkward spot. Too small to be a service by itself probably, but not content to be anything but a major player. I could seriously see Amazon/Google/Apple (whichever of them clearly struggles the most but won't give up in this first attempt) buying them for way too much around the end of this coming gen as their way to buy their way into the market.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Nice, hopefully companies flood the market so much that game streaming services never take off

this'd be nice. probably not gonna happen, but it'd be nice if it did...

This reminds me of the whole streaming TV evolution. Everyone left cable after it was getting expensive to start streaming. But now streaming is starting to get so segmented with it's own channels and such its getting more expensive than to just keep cable. Worrying trend for gaming.

because, otherwise, this is very likely also gonna happen, too...

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I really want to see how acquisition enthusiasts will react when Google and Amazon start buying studios

Google already has, they bought Typhoon in Montreal. And Amazon bought a couple studios before announcing this, RIP Double Helix and Killer Instinct :(

Huge, huge "if", but if these services actually do expand the overall customer base because there really are people who will pay $10/mo for games but never buy a console or retail game, then it could be the case that overall demand goes up and we get more studios and devs, not less. Everyone is talking about this like a zero sum game where there will only ever be 200 studios and once they're gone they're gone.

On the other hand the assumption could be completely wrong and we really are in a zero sum game :-/ in which case, consider me an "acquisition enthusiast" if it keeps studios with Sony/MS, who both offer local and streaming options and publish some stuff on PC, rather than on a streaming only platform.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this functions like the premium channels in Amazon Prime Video, where you have to pay extra for additional subscriptions from premium channels (like Starz etc).

Nonetheless, no doubt in my mind that this is the direction our hobby is going now.
Yes and you could play Valhalla for 6$ lol, better than 60-70$

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If it was included with PRime and you had to buy a $40 controller I might try it. But otherwise, almost all of those games are free or dirt cheap on a service or platform I already play games on.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I wonder why announce this thing now. It's not like the Stadia has taken the world by storm or anything.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until my unlimited internet connection is actually unlimited, I won't be paying for any of these subscriptions

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
PS Now is, of course, going to be (or is already?) hosted on Azure lol. They can't possibly compete with Microsoft's margins.

Well Sony have a much larger user base so can also use that leverage to get better deals with third parties, so their margins on that side would be better, though of course on pure server cost MS would have a better margin.

But don't forget the partnership between MS and sony likely included sony patents etc as well to subsidise the cost of azure servers for sony.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Having Assassin's Creed and other Ubisoft titles day 1 is a big deal.

Depends on how much.

I'm not sure I like the idea of 'channels' that provide more games at extra cost - how many would I have to subscribe to in order to play the games I want, and how many games will those channels provide?

At least Microsoft's plan makes more sense - everything under one subscription, with native play and the (optional) ability to stream.

Also, this pretty much kills Stadia dead. If you want to go streaming only, why pay for games piecemeal when you can get access to a bunch of games for one price?

Last edited:

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony wanted to put in tons of money, they could. But they destroyed its reputation and haven't done much to fix it. The value proposition is also not as good for one major reason (the same that people complain about Xbox for) - the library. Game Pass just has the better library, hands down, despite only having 1/3 as many games.
I think all Sony would have to do is put all of their 1st party stuff on there (no matter if it's new). Maybe toss in a partnership with a friendly publisher (like Square) and then market it. That's probably all they'd need to do given their install base. (and of course continuing to water the plant)

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Not even in the same league. MS will put those games on PC and multiple consoles as well as streaming. Anything Amazon buys will be stuck on a cloud service.
I mean, it would be on even more platforms, no? I can play this on my pc, mac, IOS or Android device. Seems like it's more accesable than Microsoft.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Having Assassin's Creed and other Ubisoft titles day 1 is a big deal.

Uplay+ is $14.99
The Ubisoft channel will probably be $14.99

I mean, it would be on even more platforms, no? I can play this on my pc, mac, IOS or Android device. Seems like it's more accesable than Microsoft.

Right now? Yes. Long term xCloud will be adding a PC app and other platforms.

Keep in mind that these cloud services are very much long term plays especially when the speed required for 4K/60 is 35mbps. Local consoles/PC will still be the best place to play for most people but Amazon is launching Luna the right way vs what Google did with Stadia.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
That makes sense, but Sony can make up "some" of those margins on their healthy first party lineup (and digging into the past as well). I wonder if a move to AWS is even feasible, but with Luna now... doesn't make sense either!

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Yeah, I found it odd that MS didn't release PC/Mac clients on day one (we know why iOS doesn't have it).

Granted, MS has about 10bn less R&D money compared to Amazon and more services.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
So now the list of streaming services are as follows...

• PlayStation Now
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
  • Google Stadia
  • GeForce Now
  • Amazon Luna
Should be a very interesting space to watch.
Out of those I would put them in this order of interest:
1. Xbox Game Pass - has a bunch of very well curated games, gets first party day one, works on Console, PC, and Android. Has low streaming resolution, but pretty good latency.
2. Playstation Now - absolutely huge library, gets much older first party games permanently, and a mix of slightly newer first party that goes on and off service. Works with Console and PC. Also streams in low resolution, and has poor latency and input lag in my experience. Pretty inexpensive.
3. Geforce Now - almost put this in second place. Uses Steam library, so tons of games. Not a subscription that gives you access to games, you must purchase. Streaming quality is excellent.
4. Amazon luna - Cheap, decent library. Have to buy new controller. No exclusives, but no need to buy games either. Need to try to see quality and latency.
5. Google Stadia - Excellent streaming quality and low latency. That is the only positive though. Tiny library, and you have to buy every game full price, and pay streaming subscription in order to get high quality streams.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
LOL

Has Amazon not seen how it's going for Google? I don't think this will end well.

What was that AAA game that Amazon released earlier this year and subsequently pulled due to no one playing it? lol

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Google was inexplicably garbage for advertising Stadia. This will appear on the homepage of millions of connected firesticks around the world
It wasn't inexplicable at all. Google has ALWAYS been garbage at advertising and targeting most of their products.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll release a box down the line where you can download the games too. Like a console but only for Luna.