• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.engadget.com

Amazon will hire 100,000 workers to keep up with the surge in demand

To keep up with a "significant increase in demand" due to the coronavirus outbreak, Amazon is hiring an additional 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers in the US. As more people turn to online shopping in an attempt to stay home (and because grocery stores are struggling to keep shelves...

To keep up with a "significant increase in demand" due to the coronavirus outbreak, Amazon is hiring an additional 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers in the US. As more people turn to online shopping in an attempt to stay home (and because grocery stores are struggling to keep shelves stocked), Amazon says its labor needs are unprecedented for this time of year.

The company will increase pay for US workers by $2 per hour through the end of April. Those in the UK will see a £2 per hour increase, and Amazon will boost pay by approximately €2 per hour in many EU countries. The company says the pay bump represents an investment of over $350 million across the US, Europe and Canada.

Wowza!

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
USPS is still just grinding away, as well. I don't think we should halt entirely, but it is insane that we're still delivering third-class mail. Carriers spending hours setting up their routes in the morning when we could be minimizing the amount of time spent in the company of others by shifting to parcels and first-class only.

And for what? Catalogs. Sale papers for businesses that won't even be open. New windows. Lawn services.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed stuff shipped from Amazon this morning wouldn't arrive until Friday. The increase in shipping items must be significant for that kind of delay.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Hopefully they do onsite temperature checks and whatnot. If somebody is infected and they are handling hundreds of packages a day that could infect a lot of people.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
People are defaulting to ordering from them vs going out. This makes sense.

hope they test people or provide disinfectant at least

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Amazon is incredibly helpful for people in isolation to get supplies, but it also could spread the virus.

Personally there were several life essential health items I needed that I couldn't get because the panic shopping selling out all the stores in my city, but amazon still had some so it was a life saver.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they start paying higher wages too. $15/hr is ok but they really need people to work in dangerous circumstances now. Hazard pay.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
My roommate got mandatory OT this week and next

I've been working overtime but at least in the comfort of my couch

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
me, ordering on amazon daily for the last week.
source.gif

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
I work for amazon and I work at a prime now location. I'm split on the decision but we do have things to sell and give people. if you live in san diego county you probably realized that you couldn't buy anything since about Thursday night give or take we were capped because we didn't have enough people to physically process the orders, we have the stock but not the people unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at things.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great but, $2 extra per hour? That's not hazard pay. They need $12 extra per hour or $20...

Tip your Amazon delivery person well, everyone.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017