• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Roomba about to stalk you around the house for marketing information.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Roomba/iRobot has been good about coming out with innovations before competition but Roborock has won me over with their quality, especially in their latest high end models that spot and identify obstacles really accurately.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
One step closer to an official dj Roomba

giphy.gif

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty huge. I imagine iRobot's R&D unit is pretty valuable and will allow Amazon to create more automated home devices.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
i dont think ive ever seen one of these in an actual home in my life

Yeah I've never seen one in person. I always thought they were basically a movie-only thing like segways.

Do they actually work well? I feel like it would fuck up unless you had a very angular home with minimal clutter.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Roborock S7 and it just shits on my old Roomba i5.

Perfect vacuuming plus mopping when I want. My floor is shiny clean. Helps a lot when you have a dog and a wife who sheds hair every single motherfucking day

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely love our Roborock vacuum. Keeps my floors clean from all the dog hair we previously dealt with.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
It'll scan your trash then follow you around asking you to buy more on amazon. :o

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
That's a pretty natural acquisition I think and probably a good get for Amazon.

These vacuums are getting better and cheaper pretty quickly, and a tangible part of the 'connected home' they're chasing.

Between flying drones, wheeled delivery units and now vacuums, I imagine we're going to see them moving further into robotics.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think ive ever seen one of these in an actual home in my life
Don't get a shit dumb one. Get one with mapping and some AI features at least. A dumb Roomba sucks, it barely cleans where you need it to. A smarter one though? It's a work of art. Most of my 30+ Year old friends have at least something in their house, it does decrease the amount of time cleaning your house

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Do they actually work well? I feel like it would fuck up unless you had a very angular home with minimal clutter.

So long as your floor is fairly devoid of obstacles, it's pretty good for picking up random debris and dirt.

The older models just function by moving in a straight line, bumping into something, turning, then move again, so sometimes they can miss things if they just happened to not turn that direction. They were pretty dumb and you had to manually empty the bin on them each time.

The newer models map out your room as they travel in them so they can better ensure they get everything, and have auto-disposal bins so they can self empty and keep going.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I refurbished my house so that the flooring is continuous (no skirting/elevations) between the main rooms (kitchen, living room, TV room, hallway etc).
Our Roomba iRobot has 3D scanning so it automatically learned the layout over time and any potential changes over time. It's running every Monday and Thursday when we are at work.

I believe it's the i7 which has a base station that it will empty the dust into (so I only need to throw out the larger bag every ~3 months or so).

1178764.jpg

Last edited:

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Won't be long before they intergrate Ring with iRobot vacation.

Built-in cameras for motion detection for trash and when you're not home. Upgrade to taser mode where you instruct your Roomba to chase after the thief, tazer them, then call 911 for break-in.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Newer robot vacuums are equip with camera for object recognition... I guess they may have other purposes in the future.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
nooooo my boyfriends have two of these lmfao now they'll never upgrade

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Yes. My Roborock has no problem with our various rugs/carpets lying around on our hardwood floor.

I just don't know how it behaves if you also want to use the mob function cause I never used it.

The latest models lift the mop when they detect carpet.

Older ones like mine don't do that, so you can set 'no mop' zones to avoid getting your carpet / rugs soggy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do these seemlessly transition between hardwood and carpeted rooms?

They'll handle a 1/2 - 3/4 inch threshold. I'm tempted to try and reduce the one between the hall and living room but if it doesn't make it head on, it'll back off and go in at an angle like a rock crawler :)

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never seen one in person. I always thought they were basically a movie-only thing like segways.

It's fucking amazing how well they work. I have one from Xiaomi. It's just perfection and the way its fucking sonar maps the house is kinda scary.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using a 630 for the longest time (that I won from an Amazon giveaway the first year they landed in Spain). I'm too used to those things now. The day it dies I'll shop around for a new one.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The latest models lift the mop when they detect carpet.

Older ones like mine don't do that, so you can set 'no mop' zones to avoid getting your carpet / rugs soggy.

Yeah, I have the S6 Maxv, I don't think it can lift the mop but I have seen the option for no mop zones in the app.

The S7 Maxv ultra with that giant station thingy looks really enticing, it would probably make me actually use the mop function. But it's too expensive with the station. And I'm really, really happy with how well the S6 Maxv vacuums and how the app works so not really worth it at the moment.