• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Where's my Túrin Turambar, Amazon?! Where is he? In the third age, not the second! Arrgggg
Well, it's still an interesting period to follow.
First Age you mean ;)

Silmarillion's off limits for now, but you never know.

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
What does he mean by this:

Amazon's Lord of the Rings series is predicted to start production in 2020. An official release date has yet to be announced, but Shippey revealed that it would span 22 episodes.

Like the first season has 22 episodes? The plan for the series is 22 episodes?

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think I'd be this protective over a story. I would want the story to be told...

I really wish they focused more about telling stories and less about canon.
Like, people realize that Tolkien is not writing the Amazon show, why the fuck does it matters all that much?
I can sort of see the argument for sticking with decisions Tolkien made (though if I'm honest, I think there is a couple that are worth revisiting), but now we must elevate story decisions from The People Who Brought You Star Trek Beyond to that level too?

Well, if you're not going to tell Tolkien's story, then why get the license? Just make some random shit with dwarves, elves, orc, and dragons and write whatever you want.

My best guess; three seasons with six episodes each, then a final season with four "mini-movies" that are actually 63 minutes long.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Do we know who is in charge of Tolkien Estate now,after Christopher Tolkien resigned in 2017?

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

They're saying that the first season will be 22 episodes, but in a previous report, it was 20 episodes. It's a mistake on The Guardian's part. The truth is that Tom Shippey is speculating based on what he's heard.

Merguson

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you're not going to tell Tolkien's story, then why get the license? Just make some random shit with dwarves, elves, orc, and dragons and write whatever you want.

My best guess; three seasons with six episodes each, then a final season with four "mini-movies" that are actually 63 minutes long.
They're saying that the first season will be 22 episodes, but in a previous report, it was 20 episodes. It's a mistake on The Guardian's part. The truth is that Tom Shippey is speculating based on what he's heard.

Hm.. that seems highly unusual for Amazon based on their current shows which seem to have eight to ten episodes per season.

Maybe it's just the number of episodes Amazon is committed to?

Like 10 episodes per season. They renewed some of their shows before they aired. The Expanse S4 airs in December yet it got renewed for S5.

A Lord of the Rings series would seem like a candidate for an early renewal.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Hm.. that seems highly unusual for Amazon based on their current shows which seem to have eight to ten episodes per season.

Maybe it's just the number of episodes Amazon is committed to?

Like 10 episodes per season. They renewed some of their shows before they aired. The Expanse S4 airs in December yet it got renewed for S5.

A Lord of the Rings series would seem like a candidate for an early renewal.
Thing is, they've confirmed 5 seasons previously. Just how many episodes they'll have per season is the question.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any previous characters who aren't main players in the Second Age returning.

Sauron, Galadriel and Elrond are crucial of course, otherwise the likes of Elendil and sons near the end.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Sounds alright to me. I can watch the Hobbit trilogy and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy digitally any time I want if I get that itch. I'm ready for a new story.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Strict adherence to every last letter of the original text is not the only way to adapt a literary property, it's not even a common one.
Now I'm not being judgmental here, I get that this type of world-building is a big part of the appeal of Lord of The Ring and the world created around it, and that's fine.
I'm more concerned about moving forward, maybe I assume too much based on that quote, but I hope future stories in this universe would not have to constraint themselves too much to random decisions made in the writers room of an Amazon TV show.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty happy about this, hopefully they develop some interesting characters instead of just relying on fan favourites.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
How is this any different from what we already knew?

I guess it's confirmed that they are forbidden from messing with canon, but that's a good thing.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the 2nd age set thousands of years prior to the events of LotR and the Hobbit? Hell the start of the 3rd age is already thousands of years removed from that era. Like how is this a limitation? 🤔

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This really needs to be emphasized. Shippey, with all due respect to his stature in the field of Tolkien studies, does not appear to be closely involved with the production, as he was under the impression that someone not announced by Amazon would be the overall director of the series, and seemed surprised not to see their name in the announcement video.

A twenty episode first season for a massively-budgeted premium "cable" drama series like this would be basically unheard of. At most, it might mean the first season will be split into two "mini-seasons" with a gap in between, but that terminology becomes kinda misleading when the defining characteristic of a "season" for Amazon or Netflix originals is that it's a chunk of episodes all released at the same time. More likely, this is simply an error.

Wonder who they gonna cast as Sauron.

The Rock?

Jude Law is my heart's pick.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I know this is irrelevant, but come on, they're not called "Deutsche Tolkien" anymore than the "Dead Poets Society" is called "Dead Poets".

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping they stick with British, Australian and Kiwi actors/actresses for the most part for consistency purposes. It'd be great to have some different variation of accents for different parts of Middle Earth, but we shouldn't have a jarring accent in part of the world that is pre-established unless they have travelled from elsewhere.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm hoping they stick with British, Australian and Kiwi actors/actresses for the most part for consistency purposes. It'd be great to have some different variation of accents for different parts of Middle Earth, but we shouldn't have a jarring accent in part of the world that is pre-established unless they have travelled from elsewhere.
Imagine one of the elf guys just having the most Schwarzeneggerish accent. And nobody ever acknowledges it. Oh, wouldn't that be jolly

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I was kinda hoping they wouldn't do a Star Wars and actually have interesting stories a bit further removed from the Trilogy so this is good news in my opinion. Obviously some important plot points for the Trilogy are going to be established like Sauron's increasing power but I'm happy we won't get Legolas backflipping into shot and maybe a budget that limits CGI elves altogether.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine what happens when LOTR enters the public domain. The first year we'll have like three adaptations.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm fine with this. Keep it in the second age, no need to redo all the movie plots too.

Should be plenty of material to do many seasons in the second age. I've head the first season alone is going to be around 20 episodes.