• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, I only searched "Spider-Man" to see if there was a thread. So mods, if this is a duplicate of a thread without the hyphen, please close that thread for being wrong.

Second... this one ends with a fun cliffhanger! Spencer has been laying the hints for repairing the marriage for quite a while, especially over the last few issues. But now this book ends with Dr. Strange going directly to Mephisto to ask what's wrong with Spidey's soul. We're at minimum confronting the issue, and more likely correcting it!

Admittedly, it makes me wonder if Aunt May is going to die by the end of Spencer's run. But this is definitely going to keep me hooked for the long run (I wasn't going to drop the book anyways lol).

So, folks... thoughts?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'll admit the cliff hanger has me intrigued but I've been down this road before.

I'll believe it when it happens.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought every damn issue of Last Remains only for them to end with nothing. I'm not falling for that again.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Spencer's run has been bad, I'm just saying it's probably not going to directly restore Peter back to his pre-OMD status quo, because what Marvel has now for the character is something I think they want to keep.

I'd rather Peter and MJ be married again in defiance of the worst Spider-Man story of all time, but I don't think it'll happen.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It seems to be very drawn out. I don't think it'll be resolved any time soon, but I do think it will be resolved.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the last page:

GKOfnbO.png

It's Strange talking to Mephisto, so yeah, big deal.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Peter and MJ are dating again, right?

Would undoing OMD really change the status quo much then in that case?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you think god could fit a spider-man through the eye of a needle?

Easier than getting a rich man into Heaven

So whatever ended up happening with that "Aunt May has cancer" plotline from a few years ago?

Honestly? Don't even know what you're talking about haha

I bought every damn issue of Last Remains only for them to end with nothing. I'm not falling for that again.

It's funny how the arc after Last Remains dealt with the fallout WAY more than Last Remains itself did. I'll admit Last Remains was a nothing burger.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying Spencer's run has been bad, I'm just saying it's probably not going to directly restore Peter back to his pre-OMD status quo, because what Marvel has now for the character is something I think they want to keep.

I'd rather Peter and MJ be married again in defiance of the worst Spider-Man story of all time, but I don't think it'll happen.

This is also what I think. Even though they now have Miles Morales to push as the "young hip Spider-Man" that they clearly did all this shit in the first place for.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Spencer has been dangling the promise of addressing OMD for too long. I think Miles being around makes it more likely they will resort the marriage and let Peter grow up a bit. This issue was very meta in how it addressed the holding pattern Pete's personal growth has been in since OMD. I've been a big fan of Spencer's run and I thought this was probably his best cliffhanger yet. Also so glad to have Bagley back

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
MJ's deal with Mephisto was that no-one would know about it. So something happened.
Peter is also acting very weirdly, but that could be events that happened in the previous couple of issues.

The cliff notes are basically that Harry has been tormenting Peter under the new persona of Kindred over his great "sin" and Peter has no clue what he's even refering to. It is implied that Kindred is pre-OMD Harry (who's been dead since the early 90s) who has come back from the afterlife somehow and knows about the deadly pre-OMD Peter and MJ made. What makes this confusing as hell is that if this is pre-OMD Harry then post-OMD Harry (who came back retconned as never having died post OMD) is still out there and they are both in the same universe/timeline.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's asking about Strange's quote, the original deal with Mephisto had the "erosion" of Peter's soul as a plot point as a result of the loss of his marriage leaving a hole that he'd feel but not know why. It was technically retconned with OMIT but Spencer was like hell no that story is garbage. That's also why (not in that picture) Peter knows that he's somehow responsible despite not knowing what he did.

Anyway it was great getting confirmation after the teasing in Last Remains. It's funny that after all the LR hyping up and the anniversary issues the big bomb drop is on this one. Great issue too, Bagley was the best I've seen in a long time and the whole monologue was fantastic.

I'm totally ready for Peter's proposal to get ruined by Mysterio getting exposed at the movie premier or something.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is also what I think. Even though they now have Miles Morales to push as the "young hip Spider-Man" that they clearly did all this shit in the first place for.

Yeah I think the problem is that by 2006, 44 years after his debut, they put Spider-Man to a point where he stops being a Hip Young Dude with the ol' Parker Luck. He's not Archie Andrews with superpowers anymore, he was a respected superhero with an adoring wife and a stable job as a teacher, and on the Avengers. Whether or not this is good or bad (and I think any finite story would play out this way), Peter had strayed from who he was at the start, the state Marvel wants to keep him in.

The problem, of course, is not the marriage. The marriage did not destroy Peter and age him to dust like a certain EiC likes to claim, what ruined those stories were the ongoing writers' inability to write a story about a married man. So Peter's married a few years and that leads into Clone Saga, and that leads into Mary Jane's plane exploding, and that leads into the JMS run which caps off with One More Day. The absolute nadir of Spider-Man stories kept on happening because grown ass men whose job it is to come up with exciting adventures for Spider-Man couldn't figure out how to do this with MJ involved, so they constantly rose a big stink until eventually one of them got the power to undo it, leading to like a solid decade of stories trying to recapture that swinging, high flying attitude that aged Peter even more than any wife could. Then things get fucky with Dan Slott but that's a whole separate topic.

Spider-Man until One More Day was a character who was constantly progressing. He grew up, he got a career, his life was getting better, and eventually it became untenable for Joe Quesada so he wrote and drew a story that was so bad it didn't just degrade the character, but the entire illusion of progress that Marvel ran on for decades.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Petey get fucked up from the body swap or something? What is wrong with Spider-Man?

A while back, Aunt May got shot by a sniper sent by Kingpin (was meant to hit Peter, his identity was public at that point). Peter went to everyone, couldn't find a way to save her. Then he made a deal with Mephisto, sacrificing his marriage to MJ in order to save Aunt May's life. Fans thought it was dumb, it has held for the longest time...

Now we can finally undo it.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
How do younger fans feel about Peter not being with MJ? Must be weird right?
We all likely grew up with Peter X MJ, but if you're 15-20 you grew up with Peter being single again.

Is it too late to undo it?

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think the problem is that by 2006, 44 years after his debut, they put Spider-Man to a point where he stops being a Hip Young Dude with the ol' Parker Luck. He's not Archie Andrews with superpowers anymore, he was a respected superhero with an adoring wife and a stable job as a teacher, and on the Avengers. Whether or not this is good or bad (and I think any finite story would play out this way), Peter had strayed from who he was at the start, the state Marvel wants to keep him in.

The problem, of course, is not the marriage. The marriage did not destroy Peter and age him to dust like a certain EiC likes to claim, what ruined those stories were the ongoing writers' inability to write a story about a married man. So Peter's married a few years and that leads into Clone Saga, and that leads into Mary Jane's plane exploding, and that leads into the JMS run which caps off with One More Day. The absolute nadir of Spider-Man stories kept on happening because grown ass men whose job it is to come up with exciting adventures for Spider-Man couldn't figure out how to do this with MJ involved, so they constantly rose a big stink until eventually one of them got the power to undo it, leading to like a solid decade of stories trying to recapture that swinging, high flying attitude that aged Peter even more than any wife could. Then things get fucky with Dan Slott but that's a whole separate topic.

Spider-Man until One More Day was a character who was constantly progressing. He grew up, he got a career, his life was getting better, and eventually it became untenable for Joe Quesada so he wrote and drew a story that was so bad it didn't just degrade the character, but the entire illusion of progress that Marvel ran on for decades.

All of this is 100% true. Maximum Carnage being the shit show that it is can not be blamed on the marriage, no matter how much Marvel tries to say the marriage ruined Spider-Man or whatever nonsense they spew.

(Also, they said a lot of really gross things about MJ in particular that I know several prominent creators would get in trouble for saying today.)

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the greatest sin in comics is about to be reversed? I'll be so happy

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How do younger fans feel about Peter not being MJ? Must be weird right?
We all likely grew up with Peter X MJ, but if you're 15-20 you grew up with Peter being single again.

Honestly? I don't think anybody but the hugest nerds give a shit about the comics at this point. It's all about the MCU and other mediums like Insomniac's game or Into the Spider-Verse.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh they don't give a shit. MJ hasn't been a romantic interest in any of the media adaptations since like 2009, except for some of the games like Insomniac Spider-Man.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm interested in seeing where this goes (I've liked Spencer's run so far) but as much as I want it to happen, I'm not going to hype myself up over the distant possibility that the marriage gets restored.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017

by all accounts MJ is "the one" across media and comics again, like nobody is pretending that Peter is a swinging single anymore. even the recently finished cartoon had MJ show up at the end. I think everyone knows that Michelle is the MJ stand-in, even though she's an original character.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'm interested in seeing where this goes (I've liked Spencer's run so far) but as much as I want it to happen, I'm not going to hype myself up over the distant possibility that the marriage gets restored.
Peter remembering he was married would honestly be good enough for me, it's clear Spencer wants to restore Peter's soul at least. That doesn't necessarily mean they get married again

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly I just want the deal undone entirely just so Linkara has to read all the Spidey comics since One More Day as he promised.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just want the deal undone entirely just so Linkara has to read all the Spidey comics since One More Day as he promised.

He's still sticking to that huh.

I remember reading so many tumblr/twitter posts of people trying to find loopholes and he'd just go "nope, not happening unless it's for work.'

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

This is a great question. And the fact that Marvel has decided "no" means their fanbase is so fucking old that it was worth it to undo a story from OVER A DECADE AGO. That's not a good thing.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've really liked Spencer's run. Not only has their been hints and build up to this since the first issue but he fixed the Kraven being resurrected after Last Hunt in a way I found acceptable.

I'll keep reading monthly.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Oh they don't give a shit. MJ hasn't been a romantic interest in any of the media adaptations since like 2009, except for some of the games like Insomniac Spider-Man.
Uh pretty much every adaptation of Spider-Man these days has MJ as Peter's love interest. The most recent Spider-Man cartoon, Spider-Verse, the MCU, the game...

I actually can't think of one in the last ten years that doesn't (besides Homecoming).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh pretty much every adaptation of Spider-Man these days has MJ as Peter's love interest. The most recent Spider-Man cartoon, Spider-Verse, the MCU, the game...

I actually can't think of one in the last ten years that doesn't.

Oh right Ultimate Spider-Man got cancelled for a new show.

Otherwise I forgot about Spider-Verse, I thought the MCU was all "oh no she's not MJ she's just called MJ" and I mentioned the game.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Oh right Ultimate Spider-Man got cancelled for a new show.

Otherwise I forgot about Spider-Verse, I thought the MCU was all "oh no she's not MJ she's just a carry called MJ" and I mentioned the game.
Ultimate Spider-Man eventually made her the love interest at the last minute too and the MCU does do that but for all intents and purposes, she's MJ.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He's still sticking to that huh.

I remember reading so many tumblr/twitter posts of people trying to find loopholes and he'd just go "nope, not happening unless it's for work.'
He said it in his Sins Past review he still would. Think he mentioned it during his Mass Effect livestreams too.

But the deal is that it has to be completely undone, not just nulled. Meaning that it has to be undone as in it has to immediately restore their marriage and make so they have always been married.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does God exist in the Marvel U?

Yeah sometimes he's Jack Kirby.

He said it in his Sins Past review he still would. Think he mentioned it during his Mass Effect livestreams too.

But the deal is that it has to be completely undone, not just nulled. Meaning that it has to be undone as in it has to immediately restore their marriage and make so they have always been married.

I mean that probably ain't happening but he's been at it for so long he might as well not stop.