• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too familiar with Warhawk sales but I'm gonna guess it didn't sell as much as it should have considering how damn good it was.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Almost anything not part of a franchise really.
When some quality games lose to their less good franchised counterpart and still sell dozens of times less, you know there's some bad consuming choices somewhere.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The original Nier.

Gameplay was all over the damn place, but you could see the genius of Yoko Taro at work in the characters and story. Combine that with an all-time great soundtrack and you have yourself a cult classic.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
To me, it is Freedom Fighters all day any day.
It came about when tactical shooters genres were en vogue and thinking that it is all about tactical complexity. And there came a game boiling it down to 4 (? I don't remember right now) simple commands and allow for complexity to derive from it through the "AI" engine.
It hovered around a 70ish score with equivalent sales at the time and therefore led the studio/publisher to concentrate on their cash cow (Hitman) franchise.
Man, what I wouldn't give for a Freedom Fighters 2 ...

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Polybius, and maybe most of Jeff Minter's games.

It's a great tempest-esque arcade game and a really rad VR experience to boot, it's just so damn fast. More people should play Polybius!

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I'm gonna extend this farther and say Zenimax Studios subsidiaries all deserve more sales. Some do well (I personally don't like most Bethesda games) but TEW1/2 deserved way more too

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Polybius, and maybe most of Jeff Minter's games.

It's a great tempest-esque arcade game and a really rad VR experience to boot, it's just so damn fast. More people should play Polybius!
Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered why I hadn't heard of it, despite checking sales every week. It's because 18 months after release it's still full price $15.49, and while it looks fun, that's a bit pricey considering my backlog and the retro graphics.

It reminds me a little of an earlier game I loved, Deathchase on the Speccie (and someone made a free version of that on Android).

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Arkane thread.

Dishonored, Dishonored 2 and Prey all sold way less than they should have.

I was really hoping (even though it would never likely happen) that Arkane would be given Metroid Prime 4 instead of (seemingly) Bandai Namco. It would have been a perfect fit, they created such great atmosphere in the Dishonored games I really think they would have nailed it.

Such a talented team there with a track record up there with the very best. Certainly don't get the recognition (or sales) they deserve.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
In a just world, it would have sold 1mill+

Unfortunately, JPop/Anime + Alienated fans + Wii U = Dead before it even dropped outta its mama

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll submit Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Alice: Madness Returns.

ETQW was a fantastic team based shooter that was played by far more people than actually bought it.

AMR has some of the best art design that's ever been included in a video game.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
it launched in an unfinished state and its still early to even know what worldwide sales are going to be
The game is 36€ at Amazon Germany. Had discounts to 30€. I think its save to say it flopped pretty hard.
Marketing was bad.
People are still tired of EAs pay to win MTXs.
Many didn't like the colorful presentation/ setting.
Dont underestimate the number of idiots who boycott the game because of ''SJW bullshit''.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sleeping Dogs T_T
SE's crazy sales expectations or United Front's weird ass handling of the franchise with Triad Wars killed it for now. Maybe the movie will breath a little...ah who am I kidding!

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Dragon's Dogma
Tearaway Unfolded
Gravity Rush

Fantastic games that sadly underperformed.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon's Dogma. I wish it was as successful as MHW. The sequel has so much potential.

Persona 5 would have sold Nier A numbers if it was mulltiplat(not port begging I already finished it twice and bought the CE). Hell maybe it would have sold alot more if atlus continued supporting the game with meaningful story DLCs.

And I'm sure Gravity Rush 2 already mentioned.

HyperCroutons

May 25, 2018
New York
To me, it is Freedom Fighters all day any day.
It came about when tactical shooters genres were en vogue and thinking that it is all about tactical complexity. And there came a game boiling it down to 4 (? I don't remember right now) simple commands and allow for complexity to derive from it through the "AI" engine.
It hovered around a 70ish score with equivalent sales at the time and therefore led the studio/publisher to concentrate on their cash cow (Hitman) franchise.
Man, what I wouldn't give for a Freedom Fighters 2 ...

Yeah Freedom Fighters 2 needs to happen, singleplayer was great and my buddy and I use to play the multiplayer like crazy too. If I'm not mistaken I think IO Interactive owns the rights to the game still but I could be wrong but if so then there's some hope.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Please buy Hitman 2 immediately.

In general, it seems like the masses don't really care about good level design. That's the only explanation for why Prey, Dishonored, Hitman and Deus Ex have underperformed.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
The non-DBFZ ArcSys fighters. Some of the most fully featured and mechanically sound fighting games on the market. They really deserve to sell way more.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Gothic 2, the thread. Better than any Bethesda game and if you're American, you probably haven't played it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
The Wonderful 101 is a good game, but it's too flawed to be my choice. I'll go with Code Name STEAM which is a fantastic game which cratered due to its art style.

Feb 16, 2018
far cry 1
enemy territory quake wars
crysis 1

these were dismissed as "tech demos". the era where everyone was drinking the half-life kool-aid was truly something else

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
  • Sleeping Dogs.
  • Quantum Break.
  • Hitman 1 & 2.
  • The Council.
  • Fallout: New Vegas (it did less than Fallout 3 & 4).
  • Agents of Mayhem.
  • Tyranny.
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera.
  • Pillars of Eternity II.
  • Tales from the Borderlands (probably the best Telltale).

Yeah, a lot of games...