• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
If I was taking fan abuse for 20 years, I don't think I would be as nice as she was there. Imagine yourself in that position for that long. Snapping out every once in a while is going to happen.

And it will likely continue for 20 more.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, all things considered, I do think "love" is the better interpretation. But like is a perfectly valid one as well, and seems more a symptom of Khara's desire for a slavishly literal translation. Both "love" and "like" ultimately do leave some room for the viewer to make up their mind exactly where in the strange, complicated mix of platonic, romantic and religious emotion their relationship lands, and I think that was was intended by the authors.

After thinking about this entirely too much, I think this is where I have settled, too.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure if thats the right way to answer your customers. At the end of the day, we've paid for your product, you cannot say something like that. 20 dollars are not cheap to some people

A young artist exhibits her work for the first time, and a well known art critic is in attendance.
The art critic tells the young artist, "Would you like to hear my opinion of your work?"
"Yes", she replies.
"It's worthless", the critic says
"I know", the artist replies, "but let's hear it anyway",

If i were in her shoes, i would be okay with the criticism. Customers paid, they can criticize my works. They have already given their time and money to enjoy my product, it itself is an appreciation. Whether it nails the point, it is another story.
I would say that in this instance, Amanda Winn Lee is not the young artist exhibiting her work for the first time, she's an old veteran who paid to show up unnanounced as a customer, and she's sticking up for the young artist because the critics in line ahead of her just compared the young artist unfavorably to the great Amanda Winn Lee.

She absorbed a ridiculous amount of criticism when it was aimed at her. But she's not going to sit quietly when she sees it happening to the next person (albeit, with a polarity shift), and especially not when her own name is being invoked in the criticism.

Equating some purist Animu fans whining about a liberal localization vs. people having issues with (self-admitted) straightwashing of a character by the more recent translator isn't quite right.

There's a bit of a difference here.
Amanda Winn Lee wrote the original gay-leaning translation, and before any of this stuff broke, she was tweeting about her pro-LGBT stance. She's not straightwashing. She's saying to cut the translators some slack and stop accusing them of personally being homophobes, because translation is hard.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure if thats the right way to answer your customers. At the end of the day, we've paid for your product, you cannot say something like that. 20 dollars are not cheap to some people

A young artist exhibits her work for the first time, and a well known art critic is in attendance.
The art critic tells the young artist, "Would you like to hear my opinion of your work?"
"Yes", she replies.

If i were in her shoes, i would be okay with the criticism. Customers paid, they can criticize my works. They have already given their time and money to enjoy my product, it itself is an appreciation. Whether it nails the point, it is another story.
Good ol entitlement.
Equating some purist Animu fans whining about a liberal localization vs. people having issues with (self-admitted) straightwashing of a character by the more recent translator isn't quite right.

There's a bit of a difference here.
There is no straightwashing of their relationship.
After thinking about this entirely too much, I think this is where I have settled, too.
👍👍👍

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Women in nerd circles get so much bullshit, love her firing back

tumblr_pgqfmmlMV51un7uhro3_500.gif

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
"entitlement" has to be the worst word ever lol it has lost meaning.

Just as she has all the right in the world to tell people to suck a dick. Paying costumers are in their rights as well to complain about whatever the fuck they wish.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I read this whole thread and there's something amusing to me that discussion derailed from evangelion to the discussion of consuming penises as an insult.

Also forgetting any discussion about that, it's sort of sad how much shit and pain she's clearly gone through over the years. Thanks to social media and stories of youtubers or streamers losing it due to the toll it takes on people, we're finally having a discussion on that but goddamn it probably was even worse back then as the only fan interaction one would get might have been crazy letters written by weirdos insulting you for no reason whatsoever. I understand there was also probably some positive ones for sure but something about everything I've read and seen makes me think the negatives outweighed the positives.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I would say that in this instance, Amanda Winn Lee is not the young artist exhibiting her work for the first time, she's an old veteran who paid to show up unnanounced as a customer, and she's sticking up for the young artist because the critics in line ahead of her just compared the young artist unfavorably to the great Amanda Winn Lee.

She absorbed a ridiculous amount of criticism when it was aimed at her. But she's not going to sit quietly when she sees it happening to the next person (albeit, with a polarity shift), and especially not when her own name is being invoked in the criticism.

Amanda Winn Lee wrote the original gay-leaning translation, and before any of this stuff broke, she was tweeting about her pro-LGBT stance. She's not straightwashing. She's saying to cut the translators some slack and stop accusing them of personally being homophobes, because translation is hard.

Im not so sure what you are getting from what i said. There is no difference if you are young or professional, a criticism is still a criticism even though it is trash. You cannot force everybody to like your work, thats actually okay too. If i were her, i would just move on, no need to give insults your customers. But thats me though, it differs on each person

Good ol entitlement.

There is no straightwashing of their relationship.

👍👍👍

Not sure what entitlement is. But thank you, i will just move on

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
13 pages for a tweet that is obviously venting? Shes expressing a very relatable frustration, thats all.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't seen 1 episode of Evangelion, is it worth watching in this form? I just wrapped up Neverland.
Yes, 100% it still is. It's good to know context on the changes (and that they are dumb), but overall the difference between the two is pretty minor and not enough in and of themselves to ruin the show.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Im not so sure what you are getting from what i said. There is no difference if you are young or professional, a criticism is still a criticism even though it is trash. You cannot force everybody to like your work, thats actually okay too. If i were her, i would just move on, no need to give insults your customers. But thats me though, it differs on each person

Not sure what entitlement is. But thank you, i will just move on
There critisicm and then thers vitriol. Echo chamber dogpiling from "fans" is rarely ever just critisicm

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Amanda Winn Lee is not insulting her customers. She has nothing to do with the new Netflix dub of Evangelion, aside from being a customer herself, and her name being invoked in some of the criticism.

You suggested that a young artist should quietly absorb criticism, and try and maintain a professional appearance, while trying to use the vitriol to make their next work better. But Amanda Winn Lee did that. And now the critics (considering themselves aligned with Amanda Winn Lee's previous work) are criticizing a new young artist, and she's stepping in to defend that artist, because she doesn't want to see other people going through what she had to go through.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"Yes", she replies.

What customers?

She got paid for a translation, the people buying the product she translated aren't her customers.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"entitlement" has to be the worst word ever lol it has lost meaning.

Just as she has all the right in the world to tell people to suck a dick. Paying costumers are in their rights as well to complain about whatever the fuck they wish.

-Anime fans
-Paying customers

There's a joke I could make here

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Other than how weird it is to hear "The Third Children" when referring to one of the kids sounding odd, I had no issues with the translation. Though I still prefer the original.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how worthless anime fans are, especially when to do with anything localised, I can't see any possible scenario where that tweet isn't justified.

This kind of post is always gettin on my nerves. Not sure whats your purpose of writing this. If you felt you wanted to say something, you should say it instead of sugarcoating it into ambiguous response. Unless that is your purpose to mock people

Btw dont bother to reply. You are blocked either way. Thank you, next

Lmao

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017

"Yes", she replies.

For 20 years. She keep hearing that shit for 20 years. I say at that point she deserve to call them a shithead

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amanda is great. Shame she's almost but retired from the industry but I'm glad she's still iconic on twitter.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

"Yes", she replies.

lmao at this post.
they aren't her customers. just lol

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Women can't express themselves anymore? They need to fit the very specific woke ruleset.

Let's cancel her! That's great and it totally makes sense, especially considering 20y of harassment she suffered that were the fuel to said tweet!

Resetera is a joke.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on her for telling people to eat a dick. Dicks are delicious, great and full of protein. Spread the word!

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I dont see anything wrong with what she said. More than she was just frustrated and make sense given the amount of entitlement some people have nowadays. She should be encouraged, as any other woman online, to be helself. We as men are not to approve or police her message, but to encourage a safe environment of mutual respect.

Considering how worthless anime fans are, especially when to do with anything localised, I can't see any possible scenario where that tweet isn't justified.

Lmao

Can we pls stop generalizing anime fans? Liking Anime doesnt make you a piece of garbage. As with any other medium, bas apples and all...

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The only reason an Anime fan would get upset by what i (and others) are saying, is if i'm talking about them.
Like when we say everyone who plays videogames are trash?
I mean I know usually people don't talk about everyone specifically, but generalizations are not good at all.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know usually people don't talk about everyone specifically, but generalizations are not good at all.
I play video games probably an unhealthy amount, and when somebody says "gamers are trash" I don't lose my shit, because I know what they mean and they're right.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers are trash though.

Again, to get upset about it is a sign on insecurity. Cause if you know that's not you, then there's no reason to be upset.