• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That tweet has my support.

It's ok to have issues with a translation, but some people can be completely insufferable about it.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not talking specifically about Evangelion here, but to me it makes sense for people to complain about a translation being too liberal or too literal. It's not "if you think that it's extremely liberal then you must want it to be extremely literal".

That said the anime fanbase is generally trash and they deserve to be called out for being toxic and shitty.

She's angry about how she got shit for her translation taking too many liberties and now the new translation is being attacked for being too literal. When you've been getting shit for 20+ years and then this happens, it's easy for the fandom to look entirely unpleasable.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People working in entertainment need to start doing this more and stop pandering. Studios themselves more so than the individuals.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter if they are different people. In essence, Amanda Win Lee is saying the new translations are valid translations even if they don't match her translations.

And people have valid complaints, but it's easy to just ignore that entirely if you assume it's all coming from the same schizophrenic person.

And I'm not justifying giving shit. Maybe twitter is worked up into a froth over this, which isn't appropriate, but there's a lot of level headed and legit objections on the threads we've had here about it.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does one complain about a translation being too literal? I clearly don't understand how language works.

Also, I like this person. If I had a twitter I'd follow her.
To continue from my last post, here is somebody trying to translate a Japanese meme caption and the little issues there are to keep the original meaning :
http://learnjapaneseonline.info/2014/08/09/localization-why-anime-translations-are-so-wrong/
Here's also a translator speaking about when it is needed to localize text, and when is it better to do a more literal translation :
https://legendsoflocalization.com/when-is-it-okay-to-localize-and-not-localize/

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Japanese to English (And vice versa) isn't a 1-1. You can translate something literally and miss nuance. You can also go too far and miss the original meaning entirely. It's an extremely delicate balancing act between translation and adaptation. A raw translation isn't useful if it fails to get across the cultural nuance built into the language itself.

Fans tend to think themselves experts here. A lot of them aren't.
When translating, some sentences can have a structure that, when directly translated one to one from the japanese counterpart, sounds unatural and robotic to the listeners. Kind alike when sometime a phrase in a novel can make sense when reading it but can also sound really weird if spoken out loud.

Gotcha. Would it be fair to say that the people complaining know a thing or two about Japanese and the nuance intended? Or is the translation just glaringly literal and thus, obviously "wrong"?

While I generally shy away from anime I have been interested in watching NGE since reading Wizard as a kid but the complaints have put a damper on my interest. Someone convince me otherwise.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I've never understood some anime fans. If you're that hardcore, just learn Japanese. I'm fine with it not being 100% correct.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I won't pretend to be a linguistic expert but is 'eat a dick' exclusively a homophobic insult in 2019? I thought it was the equivalent of telling someone to 'Go fuck yourself'.

That kind of language has always been offensive and it's sole purpose is to hurt others. I mean do you guys use this kind of vulgarity in your day to day life?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. Would it be fair to say that the people complaining know a thing or two about Japanese and the nuance intended? Or is the translation just glaringly literal and thus, obviously "wrong"?

While I generally shy away from anime I have been interested in watching NGE since reading Wizard as a kid but the complaints have put a damper on my interest. Someone convince me otherwise.

I can't tell you wether people complaining actually know something or not. I'm not a mind reader. My Japanese knowledge is basically enough to know a huge list of what I don't know.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That kind of language has always been offensive and it's sole purpose is to hurt others. I mean do you guys use this kind of vulgarity in your day to day life?

Lotta pearl clutching over language used and not the actual harassment this woman has recieved for 20 years.

Tone police are exhausting.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
At first I was thinking this is a wild thing to say, but after reading the tweet, I at least get where she is coming from.

Oct 26, 2017
So we are okay with homophobic insults like 'eat a dick' now? (I mean the Cyberpunk thread was all about the bad language). I get that she's railing against weaboo assholes but she doesn't exactly come off any better.

Good message, needs better delivery.
Also, any legitimate concerns are invalid because anime I guess
This is news to me. I never connected that phrase with being overtly homophobic.
Is it used frequently as a slur in recent years?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we shouldn't hold all people to the same standards of decency? If she was a republican, you'd all be asking for her head on a plate. But fine, I'll stop. I simply don't like this kind of language.

But you're unwilling to give her an exception for the ammount of toxic garbage she's been recieving from fans for more than two decades. I thought we were allies to women under fire who didn't really do anything wrong, but apparently she deserves to be cancelled because of some harsh language. Got it. Guess this here is a black and white binary for some people.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Um, what the hell?

I understand where Lee is coming from, fanboys are assholes and all, but some of her wording is unfortunate within the context of the controversy.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost like the people complaining about different things are different people.
if there are people who dislike one but like another, they should just watch the one they like. if they dislike both, its the dick eating factory for them.

this tweet is absolutely correct and lol at people going "not a good look 😕" in this thread

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time one of them told off the hardcore Eva fanbase who have relentlessly pestered some of the voice actors about the translations of Eva over the years.

Nov 2, 2017
People went overboard on the ADV translation, that's for sure. But there are a couple outright mistranslations sprinkled throughout the series, and particularly in End of Eva. Also some outright weird dubbing choices in End (the "hit em again" and splat).

I'll stan the ADV dub till the day I die though. Literal translations suck

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So we shouldn't hold all people to the same standards of decency? If she was a republican, you'd all be asking for her head on a plate. But fine, I'll stop. I simply don't like this kind of language.
If she was a republican then i wouldn't care because it'd have nothing to do with anything.

And she insulted some people she's tired of dealing with, what's the issue? Is the mere fact that a human isn't a saint, at all times, that much of an issue to you?

Mabufudyne

Oct 27, 2017
This would make sense if the people criticizing the recent Netflix dub for being too literal were the same people who gave her (utterly undeserved) hell for the 1997 dub.

The problem is, uuuuuhhhh. They're not.

I mean, I get it. I get why she'd be pissed off about all the shit Evangelion fans have been giving her for 2 decades, and shitty weebs deserve to be shit on, but conflating the criticisms of like, other actual translation professionals in the industry who've been chiming in and commenting on how they wouldn't have worded certain lines in the new Netflix dub or how awkwardly stilted they can be, as well as LGBT+ fans who are tired of having to point out LGBT issues is for the 230534948th time, with the whining that spewed from entitled cis straight male fans who harassed her back then for the old dub is...

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I've struggled with in most of the conversations that have popped up about the Netflix translation is that many of them are either fairly uninformed and/or they assume bad faith on the part of the translator. It's very easy for someone who doesn't know anything about the other language to point at two words that are different and assume that the change is a mistake (or sabotage), without knowing how that might come about.
Because it frames the very problematic changes in the most recent translation as complaints of crazy anime fanboys
For example, the two controversial examples that I've seen with this translation (from the Japanese "suki" and "sect") are both entirely defensible translations, in the context of the scene in which they're presented. There are arguable reasons why you might choose one approach over another, depending on what you want to emphasize, but in both cases, neither the ADV approach nor the Netflix approach is wrong. Yet the conversation seems to always begin from an assumption that the changes were made to intentionally push a harmful political message, expressed reflexively on social media by people who don't seem to have given much thought as to why those choices were made.

There are things I'd criticize with Netflix's translation, but not in this way.
How does one complain about a translation being too literal? I clearly don't understand how language works.
Language is a means of expressing ideas. Different languages go about expressing the same ideas in different ways, through different rules of grammar, expressions, and words. While a bilingual dictionary may make it seem like you could translate by mapping one language's words to their corresponding dictionary entry in the other, it can be a great deal more complicated. Words or expressions that might seem similar can actually carry very different meanings. A good translation properly conveys the ideas of the original to the translated language's audience, even if that requires the use of different phrasing or words.

For an example of where the Netflix translation falls short in this way, when Misato and Asuka first meet in Episode 8, Misato asks her "あなたも背伸びたんじゃない?" Here, 背 is height, and 伸びる is grow, so the Netflix subtitles translate it as "Hey, have you grown in height?" That conveys the correct meaning, but the phrasing is strange to a native speaker. "Hey, have you gotten taller?" would more accurately reflect how a speaker would ask the same question.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But you're unwilling to give her an exception for the ammount of toxic garbage she's been recieving from fans for more than two decades. I thought we were allies to women under fire who didn't really do anything wrong, but apparently she deserves to be cancelled because of some harsh language. Got it. Guess this here is a black and white binary for some people.

Never said she should be cancelled. All I said was she shouldn't stoop to their level.
I understand she's been harassed for decades but in a vacuum she comes off as a loon.
Nothing is black and white, that's the point. They hit her and she's hitting back, eye for an eye.

Also, my main issue was with her using "eat a dick", mostly because folks here typically don't tolerate gendered or sexuality based insults

If she was a republican then i wouldn't care because it'd have nothing to do with anything.

And she insulted some people she's tired of dealing with, what's the issue? Is the mere fact that a human isn't a saint, at all times, that much of an issue to you?

Once again, she doesn't seem like a person I'd want to meet that's all.
There's also another tweet about "flay you alive if you tone police me!", I mean that's pretty badass but I don't like it when people talk in cartoon-ish threats

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course mouth breathers on Twitter are upset about a professional woman speaking her mind.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For an example of where the Netflix translation falls short in this way, when Misato and Asuka first meet in Episode 8, Misato asks her "あなたも背伸びたんじゃない?" Here, 背 is height, and 伸びる is grow, so the Netflix subtitles translate it as "Hey, have you grown in height?" That conveys the correct meaning, but the phrasing is strange to a native speaker. "Hey, have you gotten taller?" would more accurately reflect how a speaker would ask the same question.
A better example for how nebulous and infuriating translating can be sometimes is to translate it lierally as "Hey, have you height grown?"

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Punch Nazis? Never! When they go low we go high. Love wins in the battlefields of the astral planes.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm glad everyone can come out of this thread feeling morally superior over the problematic usage of male genitalia as insult.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Not do thread whine, but do we really need three threads about this subject?

if there are people who dislike one but like another, they should just watch the one they like. if they dislike both, its the dick eating factory for them.

this tweet is absolutely correct and lol at people going "not a good look 😕" in this thread
There's only one version that's accessible in HD though

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never said she should be cancelled. All I said was she shouldn't stoop to their level.
I understand she's been harassed for decades but in a vacuum she comes off as a loon.
Nothing is black and white, that's the point. They hit her and she's hitting back, eye for an eye.

Also, my main issue was with her using "eat a dick", mostly because folks here typically don't tolerate gendered or sexuality based insults
Don't bother, once again whenever it's inconvenient for them, LGTBQ people get brush aside.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well I'm glad everyone can come out of this thread feeling morally superior over the problematic usage of male genitalia as insult.

Is the solution to being frustrated and angry while dealing with harassment, writing a potentially homophobic and inflammatory tweet?

Again, if I posted that Tweet on ERA as a text post, instant ban for me.

Don't bother, once again whenever it's inconvenient for them, LGTBQ people get brush aside.

I don't want to take this as truth but sometimes I do wonder.
Basically, this person was harassed so they get a "get out of jail free" card and can do no wrong (however large or small)

i'm like three letters of that acronym but I guess you've decided I don't matter, that's fine, that's cool and Good Actually

So you don't take issue hence no one else should?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out LGBT erasure and then being told to eat a dick is more exhausting, actually.

I disagree as part of that group. I also didn't harass her so I take no ownership over having to participate in said dick eating.

So you tell me I'm wrong, won't say why and when I ask you what does it mean then you run away. Got it.

Cause you're not discussing this in good faith. There's no reason to engage further.