• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
...i think you need to take a step back and ask yourself if its really something worth being upset over

Wish it's possible to edit thread title, but I want to clarify. I'm not super upset, but more like really annoyed as someone who is quite invested in the universe 10 years in the making. Fury started everything for me, but this latest instalment just changed what I felt about Fury, and not in a good way.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
This thread reminds me of the endless quibbles over Star Wars. Before you watched the film you didn't know how Shield came to acquire the Tesseract, how Nick Fury lost his left eye, and perhaps half a dozen other things I forget about. Now you know. Why so angry about learning more about this fictional world? It can't harm you, it isn't real.

But but muh fanfictions....

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
They could have only went two ways with it. Losing the eye in the car wreck when he realized Coulson was a skrull or the Flerkin. If he lost his eye to the skrull you'd be complaining that Fury trusts the skrulls too easily after losing his eye to one. This way is better because it avoids him trusting and helping the skrulls problem, and his eye being infected by an alien born bacteria makes sense that our medicine wouldn't save his eye.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Wish it's possible to edit thread title, but I want to clarify. I'm not super upset, but more like really annoyed as someone who is quite invested in the universe 10 years in the making. Fury started everything for me, but this latest instalment just changed what I felt about Fury, and not in a good way.
It should have been a better story instead of them being cute and twee and clever. I agree with you OP.

But with such low investment in the retconning and rewriting of this one detail of a 70+ year old comic character for their early 21st century movie series though, I can only be annoyed and nothing more.

They only invented Flerkins like 5 years ago. *shrug*

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
images

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Why? He's always been a liar. To a good end but it's his way since he's a spy.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's a few things that they added to the MCU that I think they should have left at the door but the cat scratch was dumb fun in a good way.

I thought Carol being the reason they are called the Avengers was pretty stupid. Felt like a Star Wars everything is connected no matter how small kind of thing.
Fury's first experience meeting a superhero inspiring his idea for a superhero team made sense to me.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really think this thread would've been more productive as part of the OT, considering this isn't exactly a new complaint and it may have potentially spoiled people before the thread title change.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Don't watch Agents of SHIELD, ever. Then you won't have to make a thread being mad that Fury lied to the Avengers about Coulson dying.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Avengers was too on the nose as a name, so this being based on the nickname of the first true superhero that saved the Earth felt actually awesome for me. Makes total sense now.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The films don't focus on this aspect of his character enough, but Fury's whole shtick is knowing everything and decieving everyone to get the results he wants. The flerken being the reason was goofy, but you me and Colson would all have lied about it too if we were in Fury's shoes.

If anything this movie just made me want to see a proper cold war era Nick Fury backstory film. They might need to recast, but if they could get the right actor it could be awesome.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
You're unreasonable.

It doesn't make Fury less heroic considering all that's happening in the movie.

Space travel and time relativity, how does it work?

Maybe we'll find out what she did in the Captain Marvel sequel.

Your complain is totally unfounded, really.
And Thor and hulk where stuck on that trash planet yet they still got back for the events of iw, they can make stuff up for the plot, might as well say that she was stuck in a black hole it would make the most sense to why she was gone for so long.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
And Thor and hulk where stuck on that trash planet yet they still got back for the events on iw, they can make stuff up for the plot, might as well say that she was stuck in a black hole it would make the most sense to why she was gone for so long.
Why couldn't she be helping other planets or aliens that needed more immediate help?

OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Why? He's always been a liar. To a good end but it's his way since he's a spy.
Fury's always a liar is a such low hanging fruit argument. Yes, Fury lies, a lot, but he does not simply lie to people he genuinely trust, like Captain America and Phil Coulson, at least according to my understanding and interpretation. Anyway I just think this "revelation" is stupid, that's all. I can't even comprehend why the alien cat would turn on Fury even though it was shown that Fury and the cat got along quite well.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Fury's always a liar is a such low hanging fruit argument. Yes, Fury lies, a lot, but he does not simply lie to people he genuinely trust, like Captain America and Phil Coulson, at least according to my understanding and interpretation. Anyway I just think this "revelation" is stupid, that's all. I can't even comprehend why the alien cat would turn on Fury even though it was shown that Fury and the cat got along quite well.

Have you ever had a cat? Me and my cat are best buds and she only loves me, but sometimes she will still try and fuck me up if she's sick of my shit. Cats will cut you

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I was a little annoyed by it too. People have cited that it's because it cheapens his moment in Winter Soldier, but I'm just iffy about it because it was so silly.

I think I'd have accepted it if the movie had a tone like Ragnarok throughout, but the movie wasn't that reliant on gags in the first place. So Fury lost one eye because Goose wasn't in the mood... lol.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they closed the gap. writers do shit like that in fiction all the time. This eyepatch reveal for Sam Jackson's Fury has probably been in the works for a few years, just to close a loop in a clever way.

The fact that the cat should have been friendly wasn't going to stop that loop, so path of least resistance, a cat acts like an asshole for some reason. Plus it's an alien cat.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You obviously haven't known many cats.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
And Thor and hulk where stuck on that trash planet yet they still got back for the events of iw, they can make stuff up for the plot, might as well say that she was stuck in a black hole it would make the most sense to why she was gone for so long.

So practically you're complaining that things didn't happen like you want to happen. Although you don't even know what happened yet, like you do with Thor.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Have you ever had a cat? My and be cat are best buds and she only loves me, but sometimes she will still try and fuck me up if she's sick of my shit. Cats will cut you

Yes. 3 strokes and she's happy. The 4th one gets me scratch marks on my arm, while the 5th has her licking the wound she created. It's not exactly a cat but they made it a cat for a reason. If you rewatch the movie you will see that it was getting annoyed when Fury was carrying and playing with her, right before the scratch happened.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Fury losing his eye to a cat is like if Batman's parents were killed by an allergic reaction.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Why couldn't she be helping other planets or aliens that needed more immediate help?
Because there are a lot planets in the mcu, and I don't think that part of her powers is detecting danger so she probably helped the skrulls and probably a handful of planets.
So practically you're complaining that things didn't happen like you want to happen. Although you don't even know what happened yet, like you do with Thor.
They left a major plot hole and I'm discussing that, nothing wrong with it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yes. 3 strokes and she's happy. The 4th one gets me scratch marks on my arm, while the 5th has her licking the wound she created. It's not exactly a cat but they made it a cat for a reason. If you rewatch the movie you will see that it was getting annoyed when Fury was carrying and playing with her, right before the scratch happened.

Yup. Its probably the mos realistic part of the movie. My cat begs me to brush her constantly and when I do she's like "look pal you gotta stop brushing me or I'll kill you" on a dime. Cats: furry psycho traitors.

It's interesting though that people take these movies seriously and expect them to have some kind of back bone of lore and integrity, even though they are a collection of movies supposedly guided under a specific plan and blah blah its just popcorn ticket selling bullshit. Dumb fun.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Fury losing his eye to a cat is like if Batman's parents were killed by an allergic reaction.

If you really think that then you are really bad at reading and comprehending lol

That was Batman's defining moment. For Fury this is Tuesday.

Yup. Its probably the mos realistic part of the movie. My cat begs me to brush her constantly and when I do she's like "look pal you gotta stop brushing me or I'll kill you" on a dime. Cats: furry psycho traitors.

Yup. I've been trying to get my cat into my room for the last 30 min but he's ignoring me and would leave the room even if I carry him in. 30 mins from now he's going to howl outside the door like I haven't fed him for a week because he wants to come in and disturb me for no apparent reason.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Because there are a lot planets in the mcu, and I don't think that part of her powers is detecting danger so she probably helped the skrulls and probably handful of planets.

They left a major plot hole and I'm discussing that, nothing wrong with it.

I think "plot hole" means something else that you think it means.

It's just an untold story that might be told at some point, that's all.

OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Don't watch Agents of SHIELD, ever. Then you won't have to make a thread being mad that Fury lied to the Avengers about Coulson dying.

I actually do watch AoS. I can't remember if Fury explicitly lied to Avengers about Coulson's death though. Since MCU refuses to bring in ties with AoS and the netflix series, I always thought they just ignore Coulson and pretend he's dead because they don't intend to have present Coulson in present MCU movies timeline. Regardless, my issue isn't so much with the lie, but the utter silliness of it. Kind of a different issue here.

Have you ever had a cat? Me and my cat are best buds and she only loves me, but sometimes she will still try and fuck me up if she's sick of my shit. Cats will cut you

I wasn't being serious there. I know cats can attack even their owner out of the blue, but this is a movie trying to tell a story. Just a cat attack like that causing Fury to lose an eye? It just feels so weak.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Captain marvel is on the top third of best marvel movies because of the humor and how lightly it treat the characters and the stakes. This is what made it great.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it was lame and disappointing, but I'm happy that they addressed it.

I wish the Marvel movies took themselves more seriously :(

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
That's...not what a plot hole is

"In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline."

From wikipedia. Carol staying out in space for an extended period is neither illogical nor impossible, and it doesn't contradict anything

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Every detail in the universe doesn't need to have an epic story to explain it. Sometimes you lose your eye to a cat scratch.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I wasn't being serious there. I know cats can attack even their owner out of the blue, but this is a movie trying to tell a story. Just a cat attack like that causing Fury to lose an eye? It just feels so weak.

Sure.. but Fury is a regular human in a universe filled with Gods, so he is vulnerable to cats, like we all are. So why not. He's like that christmas present guy that got all merked up by his cat.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Yes, you said it yourself. A lot of planets. She could be helping many along the way
How can she know who needs help? She doesn't have superman's Hearing ability, she physically needs to visit every planet and offer help. and in that time she didn't visit earth as far as we know.

That's...not what a plot hole is

"In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline."

From wikipedia. Carol staying out in space for an extended period is neither illogical nor impossible, and it doesn't contradict anything
It doesn't need to be impossible but it contradicts the events of avengers 1 and 2, like I explained earlier, it's inconsistent story telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.