• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Yeah it was pretty wack, why would goose scratch him? He was friendly to him...
Also I still don't get why Fury didn't call her in the avengers 1,2

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
You're conflating interest in maintaining continuity with tone and aesthetics. These aren't mutually exclusive issues. You can have a cinematic universe that endeavors to both be silly and also not betray basic facts established in its narrative.

I don't think the OP would disagree with you on that. The point he seems to be making is that it was a missed opportunity. The marvel series has blended silliness with seriousness through every one of their films. Arguably, this moment with Fury could have utilized the latter. The writers decided not to do so, which is fair, but I can understand being disappointed by that choice.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's so not interesting in the comics (Even the Ultimate one, and Jr.'s) I'm glad they changed it

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Just want to say: it's kinda shitty to tell the OP not to take the movie too seriously when it's obvious that this whole cinematic universe is built upon storytellers and directors who take the world they've built seriously.

OP isn't throwing a tantrum or insulting anyone. Films don't have to be holocaust dramas or political films for people to have issues with plot points.

I'm a pretty casual viewer of superhero films and while I thought the gag here was amusing, I also felt it was a missed opportunity.
But it's not a missed opportunity. This is Fury's character to a T. He's a lying manipulator who acts like he has it together but doesn't. This movie should make you like Fury more not less. And the story of how he lost his eye is cool as hell until you reduce it to what the OP has.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I didn't like that at all, could have been used for a dramatic and/or emotional scene.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Also I still don't get why Fury didn't call her in the avengers 1,2
The whole reason he put together the Avengers Initiative was to have extraordinary people (like Carol) to defend Earth, so he wouldn't have to call her. She is a last resort. And it makes perfect sense.

But also to be fair, we don't know if Fury tried calling her during the Battle of New York and Sokovia. Carol will only receive the signal from Fury's pager if she's within 3 galaxies. And as we know she's been busy far and away helping out the Skrulls and other planets.

duh but how are they going to explain her just showing up in endgame?
We already know the answer to this. Check out the "Avengers: Endgame trailer description" thread if you want to know.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Before you watched the film you didn't know how Shield came to acquire the Tesseract, how Nick Fury lost his left eye, and perhaps half a dozen other things I forget about. Now you know. Why so angry about learning more about this fictional world?
While I'm on the side of Flerken defenders, this is also a little disingenuous.

People want answers to questions in their favorite ongoing stories, but they don't want to feel cheated or undermined in the process, either through the explanation or its delivery. Stories aren't real life with uncontrollable variables and happenstance; the nature of their deliberate crafting inherently promises some sense of catharsis for the audience who gave valuable time to devote to engaging in a work, even if the answers are inherently disheartening. You can't bullshit an audience by stringing them along to crappy payoffs and bad answers and then shrug your shoulders with "you got answers" when they don't take kindly to the bullshit.

There's a reason "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine" is a famous saying.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I quite enjoyed that moment actually. Don't see a reason to be upset about it anyway. Not a cat but a fierce alien!

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
I thought the reason he lost his eye was dumb as hell. Still thought the movie was decent as a whole. I just wish we can all get over using No Doubt in movie soundtracks to show off how bad ass this woman is... Not saying that it needs to be replaced by Dead Men Don't Rape or anything, but I've been hearing "Just A Girl" pretty consistently for the past 24 years... I'm sure there is something better out there.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
People want answers to questions in their favorite ongoing stories, but they don't want to feel cheated or undermined in the process, either through the explanation or its delivery.

Sure. But there will always be people who don't like how it works out. Fan communities are full of people who think they could write the story better. It's okay to feel that way, it's why fan fiction exists. But it's not interesting.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...i think you need to take a step back and ask yourself if its really something worth being upset over

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Something something dr strange saw the only way to win in part 1
Probably lol
The whole reason he put together the Avengers Initiative was to have extraordinary people (like Carol) to defend Earth, so he wouldn't have to call her. She is a last resort. And it makes perfect sense.

But also to be fair, we don't know if Fury tried calling her during the Battle of New York and Sokovia. Carol will only receive the signal from Fury's pager if she's within 3 galaxies.
Last resort to what? They literally had a god fight them in the avengers.
So suddenly Thanos shows up and she receives the signal? Why now?
I think they already did that. Didn't you watch the film? She replied to the message he sent her on the pager she modified. You actually see her giving it to him on screen, and telling him she increased the range to a couple of galaxies.
Yeah I did, that's not what I'm asking...

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fury talks out his ass about everything. It actually makes the character better for me, lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why does everything have to have some kind of serious fucking dramatic implication in a goddamn comic book movie

It's the perfect twist. "His secrets have secrets". He lost his eye to someone he trusted, it just didn't go down in the way everyone thought it was supposed to.

Y'all are just as bad as the nerds who kept crying about steaks for the first half decade of MCU. Actually this might be worse.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Last resort to what? They literally had a god fight them in the avengers.
They also had a God on their side (Thor). And the Avengers handled it well. Hell, there were "only" about 70 casualties at that battle. The Avengers solved it. A last-resort is exactly what you see in Infinity War. Everybody around Nick Fury is dying in New York, he is reading strong signals from Wakanda, and he himself is literally turning to dust. So he hit the pager before he's gone and nobody's there to do it or understand what it's for. That's a last resort and it again, makes sense.

Yeah I did, that's not what I'm asking...
What are you asking then? Cause I read your question the same way as he did. She's been busy saving other planets, and turns up when she got the message from the pager.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
last resort to what? They literally had a god fight them in the avengers.

She says in the movie that the pager only has a range of "a couple of galaxies". She wasn't in range and/or Fury thought the current team could handle it and didn't bother to call her. Maybe he didn't feel Loki or Ultron were emergencies.

Either way, both explanations work.

Both Avengers 1 and 2 are on a lower level threat wise than erasing half of existence as apparent in Avengers 3.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But there will always be people who don't like how it works out. Fan communities are full of people who think they could write the story better. It's okay to feel that way, it's why fan fiction exists. But it's not interesting.
I'm engaged in Overwatch fanfiction myself, but I don't think it addresses the issue of a creator's work inherently being unsatisfactory. Me playing with other's characters in my head doesn't fix the crappy story they belong to, the crappy story I spent unrecoverable time with. It's pretty dismissive to tell people unhappy with unsatisfying writing to fanfiction it away.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
1. Fury is a spy, which means he lies. All the time.

2. It's a kids movie.

3. It's a kids movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a bit much to be legitimately upset, but I get why you would feel that way. For years, Fury was one of the most mysterious and cool characters in the MCU and how he lost his eye was one of the more interesting mysteries surrounding him. To have the answer be "It was scratched out when he tried to cuddle a comic relief alien who takes the form of a cute cat" is an extremely disappointing explanation for people emotionally involved in the MCU.

It's the same kind of complaint Star Wars fans have when it was revealed that the ultimate cool evil guy Darth Vader was just some guy with mommy issues who became evil because the Jedi said 'no' when he wanted to marry a girl.

Haven't seen the movie but probably because she didn't exist yet in the mcu. She just debuted this week.
That's the obvious real-life answer, but in-universe they will have to think of a reason why no previous danger was ever seen as important enough to call the person who could literally fix it in seconds.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's the obvious real-life answer, but in-universe they will have to think of a reason why no previous danger was ever seen as important enough to call the person who could literally fix it in seconds.

Because Fury made the decision that the people he had was enough. He assessed the situation. But when he sees what's happening with thanos... Things changed. He didn't need the nuke yet. Thor and hulk being on your side is pretty good for a lot of threats.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am more annoyed we didn't get this on screen:
Supreme_Intelligence.jpg

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

Because Fury created the Avengers specifically to face those threats. The movie was pretty specific about this. After the Snap, for all he knew all of the Avengers were gone, so Carol was the last Hope.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Nick Fury has, at every point prior to Captain Marvel, always told the heroes what he thinks would be the most effective form of motivation, rather than the truth.

This goes back to him lying in the Avengers about Coulson's death and a myriad of other times he's flubbed the truth in order to make things go his way.

The fact that a Flerken took his eye out and he uses it as a more motivating story about not trusting anyone is perfectly in line with his character

Edit: to add to this: that story he tells Cap in Winter Soldier about his grandfather and the cash? Likely a lie too.

He's ALWAYS lying, that's his character.

Annoyed me too and then I realized this.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
They also had a God on their side (Thor). And the Avengers handled it well. Hell, there were "only" about 70 casuals at that battle. The Avengers solved it. A last-resort is exactly what you see in Infinity War. Everybody around Nick Fury is dying in New York, he is reading strong signals from Wakanda, and he himself is literally turning to dust. So he hit the pager before he's gone and nobody's there to do it or understand what it's for. That's a last resort and it again, makes sense.

What are you asking then? Cause I read your question the same way as he did. She's been busy saving other planets, and turns up when she got the message from the pager.
She says in the movie that the pager only has a range of "a couple of galaxies". She wasn't in range and/or Fury thought the current team could handle it and didn't bother to call her. Maybe he didn't feel Loki or Ultron were emergencies.

Either way, both explanations work.

Both Avengers 1 and 2 are on a lower level threat wise than erasing half of existence as apparent in Avengers 3.

So this whole time there was no danger at all in the Mcu, she told Fury "in real emergencies only" if I remember right, if he called her she would solve this whole loki/Ultron thing in seconds. What it comes to is the "signal range" plot device which means that because of that little thing she didn't help her friends on earth, and she has more reasons to do that than Thor since she's human, I don't buy the whole "busy" thing.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
What experience? What changed him? Maybe if we ever get the answers to that I'll have a different view of it but for now this is all we got.

Are you really saying they'll have to make a fury movie that shows his greatest escapades over the last two decades to prove to you he's seen things since meeting Carol and where they are now in endgame? You'll refuse to imply something so simple?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Goose scratching Fury's eye out didn't bother me.

What did bother me was that Fury tells Carol that people who know him only call him Fury and not Nick or Nicholas, and that's how he knew his boss was a Skrull. But in Winter Soldier, Alexander Pierce calls him Nick when he asks to postpone Project Insight. And in Infinity War, Maria Hill calls him Nick when he's about to hit another car.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was kinda lame but I forgot about it in like five minutes. It's not unreasonable to dislike it but it's not really reasonable to stay mad.

The whole light speed engine mcguffin was worse.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Because Fury created the Avengers specifically to face those threats. The movie was pretty specific about this. After the Snap, for all he knew all of the Avengers were gone, so Carol was the last Hope.
But after watching IW for the first time last night, he doesn't even really know what's going on, they know there was an attack on NYC and that right now there's something similar but larger going on in Wakanda but other than some people around him disappearing he seemingly has no clue. Like the only actual real difference to me was in this situation he personally was affected and so pressed the button.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Goose scratching Fury's eye out didn't bother me.

What did bother me was that Fury tells Carol that people who know him only call him Fury and not Nick or Nicholas. But in Winter Soldier, Alexander Pierce calls him Nick when he asks to postpone Project Insight. And in Infinity War, Maria Hill calls him Nick when he's about to hit another car.

Winter Soldier and Infinity War take 2 decades after Captain Marvel. You can't base his actions in the past on things he will do when he's 15-20 years older.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So this whole time there was no danger at all in the Mcu, she told Fury "in real emergencies only" if I remember right, if he called her she would solve this whole loki/Ultron thing in seconds. What it comes to is the "signal range" plot device which means that because of that little thing she didn't help her friends on earth, and she has more reasons to do that than Thor since she's human, I don't buy the whole "busy" thing.
If she's far away, and doesn't receive the signal. There's no way for her to know that Earth is in trouble.
But again, Fury has a viable reason for creating and using the Avengers Initiative.

But after watching IW for the first time last night, he doesn't even really know what's going on, they know there was an attack on NYC and that right now there's something similar but larger going on in Wakanda but other than some people around him disappearing he seemingly has no clue. Like the only actual real difference to me was in this situation he personally was affected and so pressed the button.
People and himself is turning into dust. That pretty much screams last-resort.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The problem that this creates is that this retroactively means that no issue in any prior MCU film was really all that dangerous, because now we know that even if Fury miscalculated the danger and the Avengers did lose, he could've just paged in the solution to all the problems and saved the day regardless.

I know it's kind of a joke to go on about the 'stakes' in the MCU, but the existence of Carol and the fact that Fury is apparently always carrying a pager with direct connection to Carol with him kind of lessens the stakes even more. Even if Captain America and Iron Man were to die, there's someone a few days of travel (although, to be frank, we still have no clue how much time has passed between Infinity War and Endgame) away who can just fly in and save the day.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they ignore the entire running joke from the original Iron Man in which Coulson is the one who finally names it SHIELD at the end of the film after calling it Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division the entire movie? Why is it constantly referred to as SHIELD in Captain Marvel?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they ignore the entire running joke from the original Iron Man in which Coulson is the one who finally names it SHIELD at the end of the film after calling it Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division the entire movie? Why is it constantly referred to as SHIELD in Captain Marvel?
I think this was retconned a while ago? I'm pretty sure SHIELD is already mentioned as being a thing in Ant-Man's flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.