• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I have many gripes with the movie, but one that really pisses me off is how it was revealed that Fury lost his eyes... to a cat scratch. I get that Marvel likes to undermine serious moments with humor, but this one particularly annoys me. I always think Fury's missing eye could have a great dramatic story to tell, especially how in Winter Soldier he told Steve he's lost his eye by trusting someone too much. Is the joke really worth it? Instead of a badass SHIELD director, the movie just make fun of Fury non stop and pretty much turning him into comic relief character. It fucking sucks.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
No, I was pretty annoyed too. This movie retcons a lot of the stuff previously established in the other movies and it's rarely for the better. It's a problem with the MCU overall, rarely can anything land without someone telling a joke ore doing a little bit in it. It makes every character sound the exact same, too.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Yeah, the eye thing was lame, but the point it shows is how he's grown. Jacksons got comedy chops so it's good to see him flex them here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I have many gripes with the movie, but one that really pisses me off is how it was revealed that Fury lost his eyes... to a cat scratch. I get that Marvel likes to undermine serious moments with humor, but this one particularly annoys me. I always think Fury's missing eye could have a great dramatic story to tell, especially how in Winter Soldier he told Steve he's lost his eye by trusting someone too much. Is the joke really worth it? Instead of a badass SHIELD director, the movie just make fun of Fury non stop and pretty much turning him into comic relief character. It fucking sucks.
He trusted the cat. It totally fits. And yes, you're being unreasonable. It's a movie.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Nick Fury has, at every point prior to Captain Marvel, always told the heroes what he thinks would be the most effective form of motivation, rather than the truth.

This goes back to him lying in the Avengers about Coulson's death and a myriad of other times he's flubbed the truth in order to make things go his way.

The fact that a Flerken took his eye out and he uses it as a more motivating story about not trusting anyone is perfectly in line with his character

Edit: to add to this: that story he tells Cap in Winter Soldier about his grandfather and the cash? Likely a lie too.

He's ALWAYS lying, that's his character.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London

Why on earth do you think that Fury was telling the truth to Cap? It makes much more sense that he uses it as a prop for whatever reason he wants at any given time.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it's a bit annoying that space humor forces our heroes to be comic relief in a universe-wide variety hour; but I took it as a realization that humanity is just comprehending its place in the grand scheme of things, and that we are relatively naive and unprepared for the challenges ahead.

YMMV

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
He lost his eye to a Flerken, not a cat.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, I was pretty annoyed too. This movie retcons a lot of the stuff previously established in the other movies and it's rarely for the better. It's a problem with the MCU overall, rarely can anything land without someone telling a joke ore doing a little bit in it. It makes every character sound the exact same, too.

The movie doesn't retcon *anything* the reason Fury gives for losing his eye even works with how Cap Marvel did it.

Some of y'all really need to start paying attention to movies.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Fury is a manipulator but for good reason. The line from Winter Soldier isn't even a lie, he did trust Goose (just not how you thought he meant it) but it's a twist on the truth to make a point to Steve.

Obviously, I'm sure the Russos didn't envision a cat clawing out his eye either but ya know, it happened. I don't think his loss of an eye is the most defining character trait for him either, so I'm not upset. I can understand being annoyed but there are some people on Twitter acting like Marvel just ruined everything by doing this.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I disliked the reason the Avengers got their name too. I really dislike prequels explaining things that never really needed explaining.

It doesn't make me mad though, it just made me roll my eyes.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
The movie doesn't retcon *anything* the reason Fury gives for losing his eye even works with how Cap Marvel did it.

Some of y'all really need to start paying attention to movies.

Haha, okay man. In Iron Man the SHIELD organization was presented as brand-new. The acronym didn't even exist yet. In Winter Soldier there's a picture of Fury with eyepatch in the 80s. The impetus Fury gives for using the Tesseract as a weapon in Avengers is discarded if he saw aliens in Captain Marvel.

It works, sure, but making it the cat having him lose his eye takes the legs out from under the scene. It makes a serious scene a reference to a gag but.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I disliked the reason the Avengers got their name too. I really dislike prequels explaining things that never really needed to be explained.
If I disliked anything, it was definitely this. Felt SUPER forced and made me go "oh, I just thought it was named that because it's cool... not because she coincidentally happened to have the name of this superhero team on the side of her jet that he happened to come across at the time he was coming up with the initiative..."

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
technically, he lost his eye to an infection caused by bacteria in the Flerken's claws. It's not quite the same as your typical cat scratch.

But really, Fury lies to people all the time, why would you believe his story that he told to the Cap? It was just a way to motivate Rogers.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Christ, some people take this pulp shit far too seriously. Just sit back and enjoy it without trying to ascribe deep meaning or significance to any of it.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I disliked anything, it was definitely this. Felt SUPER forced and made me go "oh, I just thought it was named that because it's cool... not because she coincidentally happened to have the name of this superhero team on the side of her jet that he happened to come across at the time he was coming up with the initiative..."
For me it was the total opposite. I always found the Avenger name a bit stupid. Doesn't really make any sense. But Avenger is totally in line with these Air Force callsigns, now all of a sudden the Avengers name actually makes sense.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's dumb. I'm not upset by it but I found it pretty dumb and didn't add anything to the movie while making that universe a bit worse.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was awesome. You could really tell how fury really fell into the position he's in now. Fits the character he's been in the MCU perfectly. Hell.. You see how he use Coulson as motivation not even an hour after his death.

Enjoy this ish... People.... It's just fun.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't say I'm a fan of it. I mean people complain about Korg's joke when Asgard was getting destroyed but I thought this was far worse.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few things that they added to the MCU that I think they should have left at the door but the cat scratch was dumb fun in a good way.

I thought Carol being the reason they are called the Avengers was pretty stupid. Felt like a Star Wars everything is connected no matter how small kind of thing.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The impetus Fury gives for using the Tesseract as a weapon in Avengers is discarded if he saw aliens in Captain Marvel.

I don't agree with this bit at all.

Captain Marvel establishes that the Skrulls are manipulators (who are ultimately good) and the Kree are high powered super soldier, but both are still killable via weapons and good recon.

The reason for leveraging the Tesseract given in the Avengers is that Thor and the Destroyer leveled a city fighting each other and they can both very much NOT be killed via traditional bullets.

I think this one still makes sense in context and is not a retcon.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you're being completely unreasonable, it's a funny moment and it fits his character as a spy that lies all of the time let it go.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. One of the reasons why I think Captain Marvel is terrible. Whole movie was a boring mess imo.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
1) Spoilers right there in the title...
2) It is unreasonable to be "legit upset", yes.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
So it begins: The day old movie having someone create threads putting spoilers in the thread title.

Im sure there's already a thread that was created to discuss the movie.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I agree it felt like subverting expectations just for the sake of it.

But the weirdest thing was how Fury seemed barely bothered by it, so much that I didn't even realise he'd just his eye at first. I thought they were doing a running gag where he'd have face/eye injuries but actually end the film with both eyes in tact.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
The "funny Fury" was the best part of this movie, lol. He is super serious later when he know about all the dangers and when he interacts with other Shield members.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I thought it was dumb at first too, but it's actually perfect. Because as others have said--we know that he lies to motivate the heroes! It plays more into him being a badass spy/agent that will do whatever it takes to accomplish his goals. Lying and hyping shit up comes with the job.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
They already had Thor get his eye sliced out by Hela. This time they went for a different approach. Both are fine.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The impetus Fury gives for using the Tesseract as a weapon in Avengers is discarded if he saw aliens in Captain Marvel.
I've got two easy explanations for this:

1) The other people in that conversation's point of reference for aliens is Thor. It was a big day and he didn't need to deal with explaining all this other shit to the Avengers
2) The existence of the Kree and the Skrulls is need-to-know, and those people didn't need to know

SHIELD being new in Iron Man was immediately the subject of a huge retcon. But leaving it that way is very limiting so I'm glad they ditched it.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care much for it either. I both liked and disliked Fury in this movie. On the one hand he was funny and Sam Jackson did a great job with it. But at the same time comic relief Nick Fury isn't exactly what I wanted to see and I gotta say it somewhat lessened the character for me.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also surprised that people expected normal, greenhorn Nick Fury with no expectation regarding the existence of technologically-superior aliens to be the exact same badass we meet later in the timeline in other movies.

What do you imagine his childhood was like? Some Codename: Kids Next Door shit?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't care much for it either. I both liked and disliked Fury in this movie. On the one hand he was funny and Sam Jackson did a great job with it. But at the same time comic relief Nick Fury isn't exactly what I wanted to see and I gotta say it somewhat lessened the character for me.

Why? Experience clearly changed him over the years. Think that's a big thing.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Just want to say: it's kinda shitty to tell the OP not to take the movie too seriously when it's obvious that this whole cinematic universe is built upon storytellers and directors who take the world they've built seriously.

OP isn't throwing a tantrum or insulting anyone. Films don't have to be holocaust dramas or political films for people to have issues with plot points.

I'm a pretty casual viewer of superhero films and while I thought the gag here was amusing, I also felt it was a missed opportunity.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say: it's kinda shitty to tell the OP not to take the movie too seriously when it's obvious that this whole cinematic universe is built upon storytellers and directors who take the world they've built seriously.
You're conflating interest in maintaining continuity with tone and aesthetics. These aren't mutually exclusive issues. You can have a cinematic universe that endeavors to both be silly and also not betray basic facts established in its narrative.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dZV2t9i.gif

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

OP isn't throwing a tantrum or insulting anyone. Films don't have to be holocaust dramas or political films for people to have issues with plot points.

I'm a pretty casual viewer of superhero films and while I thought the gag here was amusing, I also felt it was a missed opportunity.

But should he be legitimately upset? It's not a documentary about lead in the tap water or climate change or something else actually real and upsetting.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This thread reminds me of the endless quibbles over Star Wars. Before you watched the film you didn't know how Shield came to acquire the Tesseract, how Nick Fury lost his left eye, and perhaps half a dozen other things I forget about. Now you know. Why so angry about learning more about this fictional world? It can't harm you, it isn't real.

Status
Not open for further replies.