• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are they really done?

The fact that they committed so hard to "ending the saga" in marketing and have IMMEDIATELY turned around and been like 'well actually it's probably not really over' is just so utterly symbolic of how bullshit this entire era of Star Wars has been.

Nothing matters, it's all just shitty marketing posters taped to the side of the same broken-down carousel. They keep spattering with oil to keep it spinning when everyone knows they just need to scrap it and build a new one.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was excited for actual PT fanservice the way people were talking about ROTS but I dont know if we got any of that. It's rather disappointing

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The PT and the OT feel like they're mostly telling the same story, but the ST has never felt like an actual continuation of that. Obi-wan and Anakin being completely absent from the ST feels really out of place, for example.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for C3PO and R2D2 joining the Mandalorian in the Millenium Falcon, while he makes the Kessel run in less parsecs than Han Solo. All in Season 2 of the Mandalorian.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Disneys usage of a lot of things from OT is problematic (either as a crutch or stepping stone for their uninspired new stuff) and I will be making a thread detailing it soon, that might get locked so lets see if yours does first. If yours doesnt, I'll make mine friday or saturday

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's kinda pathetic honestly. Same dead villains getting revived is just meh.

Same tropes. Same music.

It's just lame.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Yes you are the only one who feels this way and it's definitely not something that is constantly brought up on this very forum.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You don't kill the mentor character off midway through the third movie. Especially when their shadow looms so large over the other characters in the movie. Luke in Part IX would've overshadowed everyone else, and JJ is already bad enough at handling multiple plot threads as it is.
I mean ultimately people who are upset about this are the ones who wanted Luke to be the main hero of the sequel trilogy anyway. And that includes Mark Hamill lol.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Young Mark Hamil speaking about prequels in 1980s, basic overarching story is almost exactly what we got.

4:16 timestamp onwards.

Carrie Fisher "WTF"ing at the turtle like "he gets a cat and I got a fucking turtle" the whole time while Mark Hamill and the host eyefuck is hilarious.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Starkiller. Dreadnaught (I think it was called and that fleet). A whole bunch of planet killing star destroyers

Every movie there is some dumb ass weapon that they gotta blow up. Who cares

I'm not really sure a thing they destroy in the first 15 minutes and a large army of ships is the same as Starkiller. If you do that then there's really no point in the fact that this is a series about space battles, and whatnot.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Well a large portion of fans are perfectly fine with SWs being nothing more than an OT museum. Disney has no incentive to go past that if fans just lap it up.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It needs to start with the core films themselves. The ST has been a nostalgia trip from the first movie. Even TLJ had OT callbacks. SW needs a clean slate. I know TLJ tried some things but it walked it back towards the end and didn't commit to them. At this point we need an entirely new time period that isn't held down by a setting and characters nearing 5 decades old.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to see some of the PT locales during the OT period and beyond. Like, what did Coruscant look like under imperial rule? Or even how did Naboo turn out? We could definitely use a break from desert planets.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
The sequel trilogy just ended and I assume they could only do so much around that time frame while the movies were being made. But pre and post OT are also pretty obvious points to explore considering they are somewhat blank slates but have movies at the beginning or end of the gap to connect them to.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I really want atleast A film set in the KOTOR time period, id even take a film about the Jedi/Sith separation.

I keep wondering what kind of stipulations Lucas had when signing over SW to Disney.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not really sure a thing they destroy in the first 15 minutes and a large army of ships is the same as Starkiller. If you do that then there's really no point in the fact that this is a series about space battles, and whatnot.

It's not so much space battles as "oh shucks we are constantly a rag tag group of ill equipped idiots but here is this overpowering death weapon we gotta take out. Let's spit shine our cardboard shoes and make it happen". It gets old and I don't care. When the bad guys can make a new world killing ship every Tuesday and it always gets blown up.. who cares? It's the same tired shit. Find other stories and conflicts and drama in a whole Galaxy of possibilities. To try and make it exciting they have to try and up the stakes, ooo this one can kill multiple planets ooo this time it's thousands of killer ships. Ooo this one can shoot the Galaxy up. Who cares, I'll just go watch Dragon Ball z

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's how I felt seeing episode 7. Felt like it was skating on nostalgia. Felt trite and old. I don't care what 80 year old Han solo is doing...

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Would a future MCU work if none of the current comic book characters aren't in it in some fashion?

Leave out Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Spidey, and everyone else and just create a brand new movie character from scratch with no affiliation to anyone in the current Marvel universe. Will it succeed just by slapping Marvel on it?

Because that's how I would look at this question in the same light as Star Wars.

Don't even call it Star Wars. Just make a brand new movie universe.

Because like the MCU, the first thing I'm looking for when I see "Marvel" is Spiderman or Thor or one of the other MCU peeps, even if just a small tie-in or cameo.

I can't think about Star Wars without a Vader or a Skywalker or Solo or Yoda in some fashion.

Last edited:

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
It's literally not 90 percent a chase.

The actors were fine with it? Boyega is the only one I can recall having issues and that stems from him wanting to be a Jedi.
Aehm.....Mark Hamill?!?!?! He was the most obvious one. And the others? Just look at many interviews from that time, I remember Daisy being asked, and her answer and expression was telling more than 1000 words.

And yes, while its not 90 percent a chase, its definitely 2/3rd of the movie, but this doesnt make it better.

The problem is, the plot of 8 is more for a book, or for a TV series, not for a movie. Look at the Original 1-6 ones, the time gap between them was always minimum 1-2 years, other media filled that in. IMO this would have been perfect, since Movies are in general 2- 3 hours max, and should bring the Story forward.

Last edited:

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Aehm.....Mark Hamill?!?!?! He was the most obvious one. And the others? Just look at many interviews from that time, I remember Daisy being asked, and her answer and expression was telling more than 1000 words.

If you ever decide to look at many interviews from that time you will notice how Reactionary YouTube basically crafted an alternate universe from selectively edited clips of Mark Hamill talking about The Last Jedi.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bored of Star Wars in its entireity.
It needs to go away for a long time and come back as something new and actually interesting.
It won't.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It's always someone else's fault, and now Star Wars's iconic ships and characters are the fault for the sequels sucking.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
In January Lucasfilm whole direction will be announced. Rian Johnsons Trilogy is according to an insider legacy since minimum a couple of months ago. Even Bob Iger told short before the release of TROS, that there are way less movies in development by far, than fans are expecting. And what are fans expecting right now? 1 from Feige, the ones from Rian Johnson, and maybe a new one from Favreau/Filoni. So I really think, there are only 2 new movies in development, and RJ trilogy is IMO axed because of the backlash from TLJ back then.

I would also expect a regroup/layoffs of the whole management and layoffs within the Story Group. Lucasfilm is by far Disneys trouble kid, shareholders don't like this stuff at all.

If RJ doesn't get his trilogy then I'm probably done with Star Wars. He's the only one to save the franchise from hackery.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to see some of the PT locales during the OT period and beyond. Like, what did Coruscant look like under imperial rule? Or even how did Naboo turn out? We could definitely use a break from desert planets.
I 100% want to see Naboo again in something, something like Tatooine is boring and not really important to a wide narrative .
But Naboo during Imperial rule? Or afterwards being the start of Emperor Palpatine's rise to power, how is that place treated by the rest of the galaxy?

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And yes, while its not 90 percent a chase, its definitely 2/3rd of the movie, but this doesnt make it better.

The problem is, the plot of 8 is more for a book, or for a TV series, not for a movie. Look at the Original 1-6 ones, the time gap between them was always minimum 1-2 years, other media filled that in. IMO this would have been perfect, since Movies are in general 2- 3 hours max, and should bring the Story forward.

Why does it have to follow the format of the others if it's trying to tell a story.

I do think that Rian worked himself into a corner with the amount of time that takes place.

Mark Hamill has actually come around on it. You should check out more recent interviews rather than the ones right after release.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Pre-New Jedi Order, it absolutely did.

That's a bit harsh. The Thrawn Trilogy still added more original content and expanded the universe further than the entire ST combined. It also served as a bridge to begin moving the universe forward with new stories that didn't involve the original trio.

The entire problem with the ST is that it doesn't just serve as a poor bridge, it burns the entire thing down with one creatively bankrupt idea after another.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, in the same way I'm done with pokemon gen 1 pandering. Do people really like the same stuff over and over and over again? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% want to see Naboo again in something, something like Tatooine is boring and not really important to a wide narrative .
But Naboo during Imperial rule? Or afterwards being the start of Emperor Palpatine's rise to power, how is that place treated by the rest of the galaxy?
Right? Tatooine, in fact, actually stands out for being extra lame, which is probably why Luke and Obi-wan could hide out there for years without anyone caring to look.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yea, in the same way I'm done with pokemon gen 1 pandering. Do people really like the same stuff over and over and over again? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Look at the (albeit comparatively smaller) amount of people who lapped up exactly that all over ROS. The Mandalorian to a lesser extent but at least that show makes sense ( I am a huge fan of it) . Thankfully the reception and BO haven't been near where I imagine Disney wanted " The 9 film Saga" finale to be. Hopefully they're forced to actually be creative going forward.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I mean ultimately people who are upset about this are the ones who wanted Luke to be the main hero of the sequel trilogy anyway. And that includes Mark Hamill lol.

And he probably should have been. They would have sold a lot more tickets, merchandise, and avoided flushing the IP down the toilet.

The franchise was poorly served by making Luke another Yoda/Obi Wan. There was absolutely a way forward that finishes Luke's arc as a major protagonist while building up your newer characters. And no, you don't make Luke a Jedi god. You have him be fallible, aging, and reliant on the new competent supporting characters. You pass the torch gradually over the trilogy and in the end you have a new group of capable protagonists loved by old and new fans alike. Hell, you don't even have to sacrifice Luke. You make it clear his adventuring days are long passed and have him shift to a supporting character as you move forward that helps rebuild the Jedi Order, learning from passed mistakes.

It's really not difficult. It would have printed money for decades and maybe we'd get a few good movies out of it that we could all agree on.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Star Wars had already exhausted its creative well by Return of the Jedi. In true capitalistic form, though, billionaires have done a shrewd, bang-up job of reselling us again and again the same tired, used-up novelties, in NEWER! and SHINIER! packaging.

At its essence, consumerist culture really is just the catalyst of endlessly recycled banality.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
You aren't alone, OP. Disney Star Wars sucks. Time to bring back KOTOR and the EU.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Would a future MCU work if none of the current comic book characters aren't in it in some fashion?

Leave out Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Spidey, and everyone else and just create a brand new movie character from scratch with no affiliation to anyone in the current Marvel universe. Will it succeed just by slapping Marvel on it?

Because that's how I would look at this question in the same light as Star Wars.

Don't even call it Star Wars. Just make a brand new movie universe.

Because like the MCU, the first thing I'm looking for when I see "Marvel" is Spiderman or Thor or one of the other MCU peeps, even if just a small tie-in or cameo.

I can't think about Star Wars without a Vader or a Skywalker or Solo or Yoda in some fashion.
Guardians of the Galaxy worked. Captain Marvel worked. And who knows, in a year we might say: The Eternals worked.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna see the origin of the Jedi and the Sith. Bring us back thousands of years, Disney.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I think it would have been interesting if the ST actually alluded to current real world politics, instead of just emulating the OT. The OT and PT clearly reflected political situations during the times that they came out, while JJ doesn't really try to do that at all. It would have definitely helped prevent the ST from feeling like OT 2.0.