• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, almost every piece of Star Wars spinoff media coming out since the Lucas Film acquisition is in some way or form heavily tied to the OT trilogy, often constraining itself by setting the spinoff somewhere between ROTS and ANH, or ROTJ and TFA.

As such, while I'm not gonna speak as to the quality of these products, a lot of them have a 'been there, done that' vibe to them, what with the same villains, the same setting, the same backstories yadda yadda.
It doesn't help that the ST's aesthetic is pretty damn similar to the OT's, making it all blend together.

Compare the PT and related media's aesthetics to that of the current spinoffs.
Hell, compare the CGI Clone Wars series to Rebels, Resistance, Solo, Rogue One etc
It's remarkably different and has its own sense of style, with distinctive ships, characters and yes, lightsabers.

And with Disney signing off on more Mandalorian, maybe an Obi Wan story that will presumably also have him wallow in misery in the timeskip between ROTS and ANH, yeah....

What I'm getting at is Disney, for the love of Whils, please explore more varied periods.
The Clone Wars, a series set pre-TPM, hell, the period between TPM and AOTC, all have some interesting settings.
Use it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It relates the the fact that a lot of the main media for Star Wars is just way too fucking safe.

So happy we are done with the skywalker saga, and hopefully lucasfulm actually decides to branch out more

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'll take more OT period over PT period anyday. PT sucks. That said, I'd be down for going 1000 years or so in any direction.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I thought The Force Awakens was so dependent on nostalgia because it was trying to re-introduce a jaded audience back into Star Wars, and that future movies would be more adventurous. Ah well

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Clone Wars pretty thoroughly explored the prequel trilogy so I'm not sure there's much more unique content to be mined there. So the issue is that everything post-RotJ feels so similar to the stuff post-RotS - which is probably a fundamental problem with the new movies.

They need a huge timeskip. Like 100+ years in either direction.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia is the biggest factor in SW when it comes to appeal and marketing.

Disney is basically catering to people who want to relive that ANH feeling.

When they try something different you get TLJ and look how that went.

ROTS is basically waving the white flag and putting forward nostalgia laden fan service. It's what TFA was and why they brought Abrams back.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
For most people, the OT is Star Wars. The EU, Clone Wars and all the other stuff may as well not exist because most of the people who will have watched the Disney movies probably aren't aware of their existence, and went to see tie fighters, x wings and stuff that reminds them of the original movies.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I will likely ignore anything JJ has his hands on in the future. I'm grateful how The Mandalorian ended though. Those last two episodes were fantastic.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Isn't Rian Johnson's trilogy planned to be set in a completely new time period?
In January Lucasfilm whole direction will be announced. Rian Johnsons Trilogy is according to an insider legacy since minimum a couple of months ago. Even Bob Iger told short before the release of TROS, that there are way less movies in development by far, than fans are expecting. And what are fans expecting right now? 1 from Feige, the ones from Rian Johnson, and maybe a new one from Favreau/Filoni. So I really think, there are only 2 new movies in development, and RJ trilogy is IMO axed because of the backlash from TLJ back then.

I would also expect a regroup/layoffs of the whole management and layoffs within the Story Group. Lucasfilm is by far Disneys trouble kid, shareholders don't like this stuff at all.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I agree. The fact that they intend on bringing in characters from the Skywalker saga for The Mandolorian has me ready and willing to drop the series if they bring in the wrong people.

I'm tired of the OT and all the baggage that it brings. You have an amazing IP and a fantastic universe that is ready made. Fucking use it. Stop recycling nostalgia and bullshit.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Nostalgia is the biggest factor in SW when it comes to appeal and marketing.

Disney is basically catering to people who want to relive that ANH feeling.

When they try something different you get TLJ and look how that went.

ROTS is basically waving the white flag and putting forward nostalgia laden fan service. It's what TFA was and why they brought Abrams back.

They fucked up by getting Rian in for the 2nd.

He made a movie that was way too good for Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. And for me, I consider some of this shit "filler" too because it takes place in a period with heavy constraints on how the story can resolve which almost results in predictable trite.

See: Fallen Order.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019

I really don't understand how people like this movie? Lets forget about the fact, that its 90% of a boring chase, which doesn't make sense anyway, and in all, its just Episode V (Luke refusing to train Rey -- Yoda refusing to train Luke --> both gets training in the end., Rebellions/Resistance fleeing etc.).

Plus the comedy, that destroyed TFAs biggest and most to looking forward scenes. (People really wondering why JJ wanted to destroy TLJ when getting the opportunity to make 9?)

Whats good about it? A masterpiece is 4 for example, but TLJ? I mean even the actors themselves disliked it...

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm Star Wars'd the fuck out.

The sequel trilogy is a hot mess and the, "ugh, fucking Star Wars fans" type of fans have nearly usurped the original fans in decibel level and toxicity.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I agree. The fact that they intend on bringing in characters from the Skywalker saga for The Mandolorian has me ready and willing to drop the series if they bring in the wrong people.

I'm tired of the OT and all the baggage that it brings. You have an amazing IP and a fantastic universe that is ready made. Fucking use it. Stop recycling nostalgia and bullshit.

But the first season is all recycled OT imagery. It has Jawas, AT-STs, stormtroopers, Tie Fighters, the fucking Mos Eisley cantina...

Two of the lead characters are "OC, do not steal" versions of IG-88 and Boba Fett. I loved the first season, but let's not pretend it isn't already as safe as can be.

Is bringing in legacy characters of some kind really the step too far in reusing imagery? Really?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I was very happy when we got to see Seperatist droids and Clone Wars era Mandalorians in The Mandalorian. I would love to see more live action media set during that time period

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
But the first season is all recycled OT imagery. It has Jawas, AT-STs, stormtroopers, Tie Fighters, the fucking Mos Eisley cantina...

Two of the lead characters are "OC, do not steal" versions of IG-88 and Boba Fett. I loved the first season, but let's not pretend it isn't already as safe as can be.

Is bringing in legacy characters of some kind really the step too far in reusing imagery? Really?
Yes. It is.

Using the universe or the lore is fine. But I don't wanna see any of the dregs from the series. The only people I would be okay with is some minor side characters who mean nothing and will take up no screen time or someone like Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan. I would MAYBE accept Boba Fett if he was done well given that he fits into the general scope of the show. Aside from that i don't wanna see anyone from the main series.

I will drop it if it becomes another shitty nostalgia parade like the movies though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Do we have to do these reddit hyperbolic titles? No of course you're not the only one that holds this fairly mundane opinion about one of the biggest media brands in the world, I'm not sure how you could possibly think otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017

Tell me why this is bad though. Star Wars has a visual identity, its universe, the factions, the vehicles, planets and recognizable sounds are all a huge part of it. People talk about trying to make new stuff since the galaxy is so big but if you just make new things every time your universe has no visual identity and it's just a mess of garbled space stuff.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They paid for that nostalgia, so of course they would run the well dry before looking elsewhere.

I think with Solo and TROS they will have realized that franchise fatigue is an imminent possibility if they stay in the comfort zone.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
This is like complaining that there are more films about world war 2 than there are about the fall of the Weimar republic. The military conflict of the original trilogy is the most significant thing that happened in that universe. You would have to make new films set quite a bit in the past to get away from that, which is fine.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying that Star Wars is this grand universe with endless possibilities, yet every piece of on-screen media we get makes it everything but. Everyone's related, every dictator builds super weapons to blow up planets and is opposed by a small army of rebels... in many ways, this is the lamest, least fleshed-out cinematic universe of them all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Star Wars on film and TV was only ever the OT or the prequels. Right now the movies and current TV shows are focusing on the times around the OT, so it makes sense they'd focus on that for now.

Personally I'd love some Knights of the Old Republic stuff.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
If you think about the EU, KOTOR, Jedi Knight series, original Battlefront -- it can all be done successfully with nods to the OT but without full on pandering. It's possible, it just requires the right touch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, even when I was a kid and the prequels were coming out I thought it was incredibly bizarre how different the Prequel Trilogy technology looked when compared to the OT, when they ostensibly took place within a few decades of each other. The sequel trilogy shows a more grounded progression of technology - even though I'll be the first to admit it was down to nostalgia tugging.

I will admit that the sheer absense of prequels stuff in the ST movies is baffling and silly though. I loved the episodes of Rebels that touched on the remnants of the Clone Wars, and Jedi Fallen Order has a lot of it and I love it. It helps make things feel more cohesive.

But yeah they need to timeskip 100+ years into the future at this point. Even KOTOR I feel limits itself by being a tale of the Republic vs. the Empire.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the idea that there will be Star Wars movies that are completely unconnected to anything in the main saga is kind of a pipe dream.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, we shouldn't have had stromtroopers or star destroyers or anything other than the OT characters but here we are.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I literally don't understand this. Disney is making a new season of Clone Wars. Rebels heavily relied on elements from the PT era. The only major tie to a film character in Resistance is Poe Dameron. All of the sequel movies made new alien races that we hadn't seen before. Is this what "only focusing on the OT" looks like? Because it feels more like the sequel trilogy draws on it because it's the most chronologically relevant.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I feel the entire franchise is spinning wheels around the first movies, but at this point I'm just repeating myself.

Here's what Wiki defines Star Wars as:

7LWUOTD.png

Only the Sequel trilogy moves the franchise forward IMO - albeit barely.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

TFA set the scene that this trilogy is all about fanservice and nostalgia. RJ upending expectations was a big no no.

JJ could have filmed a nice safe Episode 8 where Luke trains Rey by having her lift rocks, jog around the island, try and lift his Xwing out of the water etc. Rey goes into the cave, fights Kylo Ren but its really her under the mask.

We could have a big duel at the end, someone losing an appendage and Rey finds out Palpy is her grandfather shortly before the credits roll. Would have led to a less convoluted Episode 9 at least.

They should have let Rian do his own trilogy not chained to anything in the OT.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah but at the same time I feel it's.. misguided to expect something new and original and mind blowing from a giant corporation who's main interest is making money. There is always going to be a level of safety there that will prevent such things by it's very nature.

I'd settle for a star wars trilogy that doesn't focus around "gotta blow that big thing up!"

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah but at the same time I feel it's.. misguided to expect something new and original and mind blowing from a giant corporation who's main interest is making money. There is always going to be a level of safety there that will prevent such things by it's very nature.

I'd settle for a star wars trilogy that doesn't focus around "gotta blow that big thing up!"

Only one of the ST trilogy uses that as a primary plot point.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I really don't understand how people like this movie? Lets forget about the fact, that its 90% of a boring chase, which doesn't make sense anyway, and in all, its just Episode V (Luke refusing to train Rey -- Yoda refusing to train Luke --> both gets training in the end., Rebellions/Resistance fleeing etc.).

Plus the comedy, that destroyed TFAs biggest and most to looking forward scenes. (People really wondering why JJ wanted to destroy TLJ when getting the opportunity to make 9?)

Whats good about it? A masterpiece is 4 for example, but TLJ? I mean even the actors themselves disliked it...

I understand the problem with TLJ. As a follow up to TFA and as the set up for RotS, it doesn't work at all. As part of the trilogy, its the weakest because its a puzzle piece from a different puzzle that was forced into place.

As a standalone movie, it did all the right things and what people have been asking for: explore the rest of the universe that isn't damn Skywalker. Give back power to everyone instead of JUST the Jedi/Sith.

TFA set the scene that this trilogy is all about fanservice and nostalgia. RJ upending expectations was a big no no.

JJ could have filmed a nice safe Episode 8 where Luke trains Rey by having her lift rocks, jog around the island, try and lift his Xwing out of the water etc. Rey goes into the cave, fights Kylo Ren but its really her under the mask.

We could have a big duel at the end, someone losing an appendage and Rey finds out Palpy is her grandfather shortly before the credits roll. Would have led to a less convoluted Episode 9 at least.

They should have let Rian do his own trilogy not chained to anything in the OT.

Absolutely agree with you.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Like. It was the PT that revealed Obi-Wan knew 3PO and R2D2, that DARTH VADER made the latter, established that all Jedi dress like Obi Wan did on Tatooine, had Obi Wan present for the kids' birth, had the Death Star's origins connected to the PT's villains and not the political body that became the Empire, etc.

It's not the ST that started out making the universe "small".