• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I was just thinking about this, and I would get FUCKED up. I don't even think they really play this in gym class anymore. Shit was brutal. Just taking dozens of balls directly to the face. No wonder I needed a septoplasty when I was an adult. This was basically me in gym class:

tenor.gif

I didn't even think about it until right now and I'm sitting here like...this was no joke. I remember one time I was the last kid standing and the other team all pegged me with like 8 balls at once. The 90s & 00s in physical education were wild.

Who else remembers this? It was kind fun but also terrifying at the same time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I was a small and agile target so I was virtually always the last person standing on my team and almost never got hit. I remember one time I caught a ball, ran up onto my gym's stage and whipped it back at a kid from midair while jumping off the stage.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I was a small and agile target so I was virtually always the last person standing on my team and almost never got hit. I remember one time I caught a ball, ran up onto my gym's stage and whipped it back at a kid from midair while jumping off the stage.

Damn you were that dude. Everyone wanted you on their team. I was always picked somewhere in the middle because I was big, but I was also kinda clumsy.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
People didn't throw hard until high school. Then it was like they were trying to take your head off.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nah I stood in the back and dodged and took pot shots at people who were distracted

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn you were that dude. Everyone wanted you on their team. I was always picked somewhere in the middle because I was big, but I was also kinda clumsy.

My curse was that I didn't have a TON of power behind my throws until my growth spurt, so the times I DID get out were because kids would often catch my throws. That's why I started resorting to trick shots.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Yep. Everyone knew I was terrible at it so naturally they were always gunning for me.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I always stayed in the back. Let everyone else get hit by the balls so I was the last one standing. Made me feel like I was really good lol

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The closest I have ever been to knocked out was dodgeball. Worst thing, it was my own teammate. I got behind him right as he was about to chuck one and he nailed me in the face as he cocked his arm back. One of the super buff star football players. All the lights and sound started to dim like someone powered down my computer. Luckily I didn't go all the way, just got fuzzy for a second.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I grew up in the 90s and we did not play dodgeball at my school. I remember very little of elementary school gym other than my gym teacher vehemently insisting we call it "phys ed." I don't think we had gym in Junior High.

In high school gym was geared directly towards individual physical fitness and exercise. I don't recall a competitive element.

I still hated it though!

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
If you weren't dual wielding and maybe had a back up ball at your feet you had already lost

May 19, 2020
wow look at the little naruto over here with his dodgeball glory daying lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I was actually quite nimble. Couldn't hit anything worth a damn when throwing the ball, but I could dodge pretty easily.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
It's also one of those things where your team is filled with idiots and the opposing team with mindreading ninjas

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I played sports in high school and was relatively athletic. But I didn't try to pick on the kids whose only apparent physical activity was forced on them during gym period. Others however, were certainly attempting to murder them with rubber balls. I did not participate in this, but neither did I intervene.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I was actually quite nimble. Couldn't hit anything worth a damn when throwing the ball, but I could dodge pretty easily.
Pretty much this.

I was the best dodger by far... But I sucked at offense, so often it just would eventually become a last man standing of myself, versus several others, and I'd see how long I could survive.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I was good at dodge ball because I can catch and throw pretty well. I had a lot of fun playing it. Although I got a dislocated thumb playing once because the person got out and kicked the ball out of anger and hit the tip of my thumb popping out the knuckle and it ended up at the base of my palm. Doctor had to literally roll it back up to where it was supposed to be.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
I have one particular memory as a non-athletic kid of being the last person on my team in dodgeball. I couldnt throw worth a damn but FUCK I was dodging like what would have been the matrix if that existed yet. I actually got congratulated at doing so well. It's like, the only time at any school before uni that other kids thought positively of me.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a pretty fat kid and blind as hell but even without my glasses (which I had to take off because people aimed for them) I was really good at catching most things thrown my way. It was my saving grace lol.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I loved dodgeball, I was always a target for the assholes but I was quick and nimble. Was terrible at throwing the ball however. But I could dodge amazingly well.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The one game that promoted cowardice and unscrupulous self preservation. I remember having a good time.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it in school, I was agile as hell. I like the variants they would come up with like one called Monarch where 5 people were allowed to touch the balls at the start, using the full gym and anybody they hit had to sit down and if a ball went past a sitting person they could pick it up and throw/pass it to get other people out. It was so much chaos cause you could get hit from anywhere and you were trying not to fall over other people lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
I can dodge but can't throw hard enough so I end up being one of the last ones standing. I am always on support so I'd collect balls on the ground, then pass it onto someone who's good at throwing. I think a gym teacher ruled my team vicotrs once because no one could hit me for a long while and I was the only one standing.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the balls in dodgeball are often depicted as being rubber and hard but my schools all used some sort of foam with a pliable coating so it was heavy enough to carry when thrown but barely hurt when hit.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I actually really liked dodgeball a lot despite being otherwise uninterested in most team sports. By what I recall it was quite equal mayhem, everyone's war against everyone since teams were often switched around a lot in my school even during single classes.

However, the classes weren't quite hardcore enough for us, since we sometimes had fun during breaks by hanging around in the school sports hall (unsupervised by teachers, what the fuck were they thinking letting us in there to do what we wished?) and would play brief but fierce matches of dodgeball with beanbags. It was quite damn intense. Sweat, bruises, few times literal blood through direct hit to someone's nose. I got zero idea why the teachers allowed us to do it unsupervised for so long before banning it after few nosebleeds too much, but it was glorious struggle as long as it lasted.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the balls in dodgeball are often depicted as being rubber and hard but my schools all used some sort of foam with a pliable coating so it was heavy enough to carry when thrown but barely hurt when hit.

Lucky you. Ours were rubber and stung like a bitch depending on who was out for blood.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was good at it and don't remember ever having an issue. Never had an actual dodge ball to play but we did with small basketballs so you have to be evasive because catching those could break a finger.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I was good at dodge ball but in school it wasn't fun because the teacher choose the throwers and they usually sucked. I was big kid but quick for my size and I had a good throw.

Outside of school I had a blast playing it with my friends.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
We still got to play with rubber balls in jr high in a tiny old gym.

Compared to the other kids at that time I had a cannon for an arm. Kids on the other team told me the ball whistled when it was inbound. If it didn't connect with a target and smacked the back of the gym wall it sounded like thunder. If it did hit kids would limp off the gym floor with huge red welts on their bodies. Often the more timid would huddle together in a corner completely frozen in fear. They'd often cry out once they saw me look their way and wind up my arm.

I think the gym teacher resented the kids who wouldn't play, the ones who cowered so I was kept off my leash. I was out there trying to absolutely annihilate people. This kept on for about two years but after a few "errant" throws of high heat, glasses were being broken and people were going home bloodied. Finally enough parents complained that the rubber balls were retired and in their place were foam balls. Dodgeball just wasn't the same after that.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
The weaker kids stood back and were mostly safe. We played on the full size basketball court so even though I could throw fireballs it wasn't shooting fish in a barrel.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely agile and a godlike dodger, but an absolute failure when it came to getting anyone eliminated. I'd have preferred being a tad more balanced in that regard.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Thankfully I was doing the decimating. Lurk behind the more obvious targets at the beginning of the game until they pick each other off, then mop up the leftovers.