• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I gave you a list of quirky games or games that aren't typical, do you actually filter your game preferences by how much money is spent on the games? Boy id really like to play astrobot, if only they spent 4 million less to develop it! Not that concrete genie, astrobot or sackboy had anywhere near big budgets.

I actually play lots of games, as I'm sure you know, but like many others here have already said, their output is far less interesting than it has been in the past , which is why you list of quirky titles was padded out with

Racing game 7
Ratchet and Clank...15
Souls game 5

And please don't take that as a sleight on those games , because it is not, simply a comment on how interesting they are to ME vs something fresh - Something Sony were super good at in good volume.

I miss the Sony that brought us
Ape Escape, Journey,folklore, Puppeteer, PAIN, PixelJunk Eden, Locoroco, Fat Princess, Shadow of the Collossus, Tokyo Jungle + the countless new IPs they tried and retired.
There are too many to list across their history, modern PlayStation doesn't come close to PS3 era Sony, let alone Ps2.
In all fairness, I don't think this is unique to Sony either, I think games on the whole are far less interesting than they have been. The gen just gone was the worst one IMO.

And of course the budget does have something to do with it, you don't get the same risks taken when you have a game that has had a 1000 people working on it that has cost 250million to make and market, which is why there is a degree of homogeneity across the huge games that Sony and other big publishers are famous for.
But perhaps that is it's own thread.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I actually play lots of games, as I'm sure you know, but like many others here have already said, their output is far less interesting than it has been in the past , which is why you list of quirky titles was padded out with

Racing game 7
Ratchet and Clank...15
Souls game 5

And please don't take that as a sleight on those games , because it is not, simply a comment on how interesting they are to ME vs something fresh - Something Sony were super good at in good volume.

Ape Escape, Journey,folklore, Puppeteer, PAIN, PixelJunk Eden, Locoroco, Fat Princess, Shadow of the Collossus, Tokyo Jungle + the countless new IPs they tried and retired.
There are too many to list across their history, modern PlayStation doesn't come close to PS3 era Sony, let alone Ps2.
In all fairness, I don't think this is unique to Sony either, I think games on the whole are far less interesting than they have been. The gen just gone was the worst one IMO.

And of course the budget does have something to do with it, you don't get the same risks taken when you have a game that has had a 1000 people working on it that has cost 250million to make and market, which is why there is a degree of homogeneity across the huge games that Sony and other big publishers are famous for.

A lot of those games you listed weren't "brought" to us by Sony lol.

How you can bring up Shadow of the Colossus when The Last Guardian released this gen is beyond me.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017

Racing game 7
Ratchet and Clank...15
Souls game 5

Well you are entitled to that opinion, i apologize for calling you a troll.

I liked what they did with ps3, i think that's when their first party started to become the behemoth they are now (wasnt a huge fan of their ps2 output) because of the groundwork they laid expanding their studios and developing their internal tools. They wouldn't be able to make the games they do now without that work. But i personally think they have never been better overall.

As much as i liked ps3s output a lot of the games you mentioned just weren't great like fat princess. They made a lot of 7s and 8s while now they make 8s and 9s. Pixeljunk were some of my fav b games but they didn't make them, but we did get pj monsters 2and shooter 2 (remake?). Eden 2 is on switch hopefully it comes to ps5.

I liked warhawk but then starhawk was terrible. Liked Resistance 3 but 2 was terrible etc. Lastly this gen is just starting, the jury's still out on what they make going forward.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of those games you listed weren't "brought" to us by Sony lol.
Are they not all published by Sony?

The sentiment is, modern Sony is not as interesting as they have been.
It was old Sony that greenlit TLG in 2007, it was announced in 2009. Which even further reinforces this argument.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I think you're the only one. This is definitely not something people on this forum complain about endlessly on an almost weekly basis.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I do think their PS3 output is very underrated, but personally Sony has released 2 of the best games from last gen so I would say I'm very happy with their direction. If they had one full RPG (whether Japanese or not, it doesn't matter) they'd have everything covered for me

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I miss when Sony's internal input was an eclectic mixture of Western and Japanese games. Back in the day you'd get all sorts of stuff out of Sony and their output was full of all kinds of games from RPGs to platformers to adventure games to friggin' car combat games. Nowadays, their output has basically slimmed down to "look at all of our AAA Western stuff oh here we guess you can have Bloodborne once BUT LOOK AT ALL OF OUR BIG WESTERN GAMES!"

Like I came to Playstation because there was actual content variety, and I came there for the RPGs. Nowadays the RPG genre is all but entirely dead, and Sony really only puts any muscle behind their big-name Western studios, all of whom seem to be trying to follow in Naughty Dog's "we're the Criterion Collection of game developers" model.

Everything else has fallen by the wayside and Sony seems to not care about anyone who gets left behind.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Are they not all published by Sony?

The sentiment is, modern Sony is not as interesting as they have been.
It was old Sony that greenlit TLG in 2007, it was announced in 2009. Which even further reinforces this argument.

Not sure if they were all published by Sony, but the topic of the thread is internal development.

Death Stranding, DREAMS, Returnal (Housemarque stuff in general), bunch of the Quantic Dream stuff, Sackboy, AstroBot Rescue Mission/Astro's Playroom, Medievil remake, Nioh, Sackboy, Destruction Allstars, Gravity Rush 2... idk, feels like Sony has published a whole bunch of different stuff this gen off the top of my head. Definitely doesn't seem like diversity and creativity are waning throughout the generation.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 generation was by far their best first party output IMO. Totally swayed me from the 360 era where I preferred the output from MS.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
adventure games to friggin' car combat games. Nowadays, their output has basically slimmed down to "look at all of our AAA Western stuff oh here we guess you can have Bloodborne once BUT LOOK AT ALL OF OUR BIG WESTERN GAMES!"
Or Death Stranding, or Nioh, or Gravity Rush 2, or AstroBot, or The Last Guardian, or...

Don't mistake your preference with lack of flavor. Kinda funny you mention car combat and adventure games -- They've got games to cover both on the way for ya.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say they are different games that follow a simmilar formula in a lot of cases.

There are still games like dreams, sackboy, medievil, concrete genie and if you count VR stuff there is more, I just think they dont sell as much and from what I have seen some people want different genres covered with high budgets (like RPGs, etc). Those people might be in the minority though, so who knows what they will do.
They have released an Action RPG, 2 3D Platformers and an Open World Action Adventure game on PS5 that don't follow the same formula unless this formula you speak of is quality games.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
They have released an Action RPG, 2 3D Platformers and an Open World Action Adventure game on PS5 that don't follow the same formula unless this formula you speak of is quality games.
I know but the biggest hits that sell a lot tend to follow the same formula, I said it in the post you quoted and I also saw people ITT saying that folks ask for those other games and they release people dont buy them, I even mentioned VR but that is obviously even more niche.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
I like both. I don't want sony to stop making their big AAA games but I do wish they had 5 to 10 studios committed to staying small and doing indie like games just for the sake of variety

Jan 3, 2019
Agreed completely. I don't think this is exclusively a Sony problem either, but it's very apparent on their lineup because of how diverse it used to be.

This wouldn't have been a problem if you people bought Folklore last gen
This wouldn't have been a problem if you people bought Puppeteer last gen

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Nah, I am very fine with Sony's current output and looking at the sales numbers I am not the only one. If I want quirky, experimental games there is the whole indie space, which didn't exist back then.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think Sony has sacrificed a lot of quantity and variety for quality. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog I think in particular are making some of the best games they've ever made.

SSM though only put out one game on the PS4. Naughty Dog had to grow massively, and still doesn't put out games as quickly as they used to.

On the whole I'm happier with the games they make, but I'm hopeful they do more games like Lost Legacy.
And similarly I'm hopeful for more games like Astrobot.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They absolutely make their best games now in tens of guaranteed critical success and I still love them but I definitely miss PS1 through 3 when it comes to variety. Nearly every game they make from most studios now follow the same overarching formula and while it's great it's definitely noticeable.

What I really want from them and it blows my mind that they suck so hard at this is for them to form a dedicated team to create remakes/remasters/make playable again all of their past games. It blows my mind how many games you can't play on ps4 or 5 that are literally owned by Sony. At least that way we can still have the variety of the past.

The handling of the PS classic goes alongside that, like what a freaking mess that was.

They're like a 10ft tall basketball player missing a wide open dunk into a pool.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine the biggest budget games they've published this gen have been the two Naughty Dog games, followed by the numerous Ubisoft Open World clones. I get it, Ubi-clones sell. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy them.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 was the best. Lots of quality and quantity and variety. PS4 still is very, very good but we didn't get games like Warhawk, MAG, Tokyo Jungle and Wipeout (just a port). Feels like they 100% concentrated on the narrative AAA single-player game. Which is understandable because they are the best in that segment while multiplayer is too crowded and indies kinda replaced their smaller projects.

There was VR though which is a big plus. Some of the best VR games are (produced) from Sony (Firewall: Zero Hour, Blood & Truth, Astrobot ...)

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for their current lineup at all except for Ratchet. I miss PS2 Sony the most

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's past efforts weren't that great to me, from PS3 onwards they've been excelling.