• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you be disappointed if Zelda isn't playable in BOTW2?

• I would be bummed

Votes: 112 34.0%
  • Meh, I'm fine with Link being the only playable character

Votes: 217 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
honestly making zelda just practically a different skin for link would be lame.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Captured princess trope is overdone. Women are more than just an object or a clear state. It's fucking tired, man. If she's not playable, move towards giving her more urgency, character and importance.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you "want to know who on ERA wants Zelda playable vs who doesn't/cares if she is." you should reformulate your bad poll where voters either have to agree with you and be cool and sensible, or disagree and be angry.

I haven't played a Zelda in...15 years? But I'm almost always in favor of more options. Don't know why anyone would oppose that.

This poll still doesn't show that though, it's about whether you'd be bummed if she wasn't playable or if you're fine with Link as the sole playable character.
Not whether you'd want Zelda playable or not. Most people would be fine with just Link, that's how these games have been since forever.

Last edited:

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's not a complete dealbreaker or anything, but I would be bummed. I want a Legend of Zelda starring Zelda just in general, but I want it even more than usual this time as BOTW might be my favorite depiction of the character.

Breath of the Wild 2: The Legend of Zelda

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I want it but I have no expectations that Nintendo will ever do it so it's whatever.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should just create a spin-off series called "The Legend of Link" in which we play as Zelda.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'd like to play as her as long as her segments aren't required stealth. How would her play style differ from Link's?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love it. But I also want Zelda to get her own dedicated series tbh. Meaning, separate from the mainline games starring Link. Having both would be sick.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I dont care there is nothing thats been teased or implied they are gonna do it so I dont expect it. Its actually interesting they are trying to turn Link more into a character since you couldn't even name him in BOTW. Id like to see Zelda playable in some parts of the game rather than have her get trapped again though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd like to play as her as long as her segments aren't required stealth. How would her play style differ from Link's?

Have her be focused on magic attacks would seem like the obvious choice, also limit her weapon pool to the smaller/lighter weapons. This would force her to only use melee to defend herself if an enemy got close.

Edit: I'm not saying women can't be strong, this was just a hypothetical to focus on balancing the character around using extremely powerful magic and making her feel distinct from BotW Link.

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine but would more than welcome it and think it would be great.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I really don't know how they can make Zelda playable while making it different from Link.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I understand why it hasn't happened yet, but I want to play as Zelda instead something fierce and they KNOW it's something the fans want.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I would love if they made a game where she's the one that has to save Hyrule. A game on the hero has fallen timeline Also, would love a game where Ganondorf battles other baddies for the King of Darkness crowns

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have her be focused on magic attacks would seem like the obvious choice, also limit her weapon pool to the smaller/lighter weapons. This would force her to only use melee to defend herself if an enemy got close.
Ya know I rather Zelda not be playable then this kinda shit.

Women can be fucking amazing martial artists and have a sword arm just as strong as a man, let alone the fact that Zelda has used a Sword in both Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors to great effect.

Last thing she needs is to be weak physically for fuck sake.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The poll results remind of this survey by Quantic Foundry:

01-Overall-Female-Protagonist-Importance-650x326.png

quanticfoundry.com

Just How Important Are Female Protagonists?

In this blog post, we’ll use survey data from 1,266 gamers to explore just how important female protagonists are to gamers, and how this varies across gamer segments.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would be pretty disapointed. All these games and she still not a playable char (not counting that cdi game). Come on now...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ya know I rather Zelda not be playable then this kinda shit.

Women can be fucking amazing martial artists and have a sword arm just as strong as a man, let alone the fact that Zelda has used a Sword in both Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors to great effect.

Last thing she needs is to be weak physically for fuck sake.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but even in the games you mentioned Zelda's sword play is complimented by offensive magic. While I'd be fine with Zelda just being a complete reskin of Link mechanically, I'd much rather her feel distinct from him since that adds to the gameplay variety.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually don't care if Link is playable, if only Zelda were playable I'd be there day 1. Not looking forward to another 100+ hours of a silent idiot nodding while other characters show more personality.
Then again that's only one of the things that disappoints me about the next TLoZ game being a straight BotW sequel. Hopefully it'll be 10 great dungeons this time instead of 120 short and boring ones (no gyro puzzles either, please).

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Let me choose at the beginning of the game who to control. I'd choose Zelda asap.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but even in the games you mentioned Zelda's sword play is complimented by offensive magic. While I'd be fine with Zelda just being a complete reskin of Link mechanically, I'd much rather her feel distinct from him since that adds to the gameplay variety.
Her having magic to support herself and attack would be fine, I have zero issue with her using it.

The issue comes in when she can only use light weapons and it's a form of defense more so than offense. She is both skilled and strong enough to gut Moblins with a Saber/Rapier and doesn't need to physically handicapped.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like the option, but I won't be disappointed if she isn't. The one thing I don't want is making character swapping a main game mechanic. I don't want to have to change back and forth between characters to solve puzzles, that totally breaks the immersion.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Making a thread about how much you don't care about a thing is some peak Gamer(tm) nonsense, and when it's about something that many women legitimately care about, it's a real bad look.

Status
Not open for further replies.