• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
i dont think anyone is running out of space within the first year. I think by year 3 there would be enough market where the prices are way cheaper. Also they dont even recommend current gen games on the SSD vs placing them external anyway.

Gotta be honest, mine will be filled on day one. I'll probably buy the XSX cartridge at launch as well. I'm not gonna put up with multi-minute load times in any of my current games any longer than I have to.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
That's why they're allowing you to use an external high capacity drive as "cold storage." You won't be able to run next-gen games from it, but transferring from it to the SSD will be much faster than redownloading.

Came in here to post this, but also wanted to mention that most current USB 3.0 portable drives are capped at around 500mbs transfer speed, even if they have USB-C. There are other drives that are full-on NVME speed SSD's that can transfer much higher rates over USB-C, but they're really expensive right now.

Hopefully by this time next year it's relatively inexpensive to get a 1 or 2 TB external USB-C drive that has super fast transfer rates so that the "cold storage" setup that a lot of folks want (myself included) won't break the bank.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
That's why they're allowing you to use an external high capacity drive as "cold storage." You won't be able to run next-gen games from it, but transferring from it to the SSD will be much faster than redownloading.
Pretty much how I use my Xbox on X. Installed an SSD internally and I move games back and forth as my interest changes.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty shit tbh, but it's the price we are paying for faster load speeds.

Tbh I don't even care about load speeds personally, but this is clearly one of the big marketing pulls for the next gen.
its a tradeoff I'm willing to make. Load speeds in some games sucks already. The cold storage option is what I'm planning to do initially.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Pretty much how I use my Xbox on X. Installed an SSD internally and I move games back and forth as my interest changes.

How painful is it to shuffle those games around based on what you want to play? Usually how long does it take to move a game from the external drive to the internal SSD?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh I'm just going to grab a high-ish capacity SSD external drive. Should be able to move games to and from the internal pretty fast so it's not really going to be an issue for me.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Also, just theoretically at the moment. Next-gen titles could become quite large, due to some pipeline alterations with Raytraced lighting. Not sure yet, but seems likely.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
I hope the systems allow you to download and install games directly to the external drive. That way you don't have to maintain a large chunk of free space on the SSD for downloads. Instead, more of the available space can be used for games you are playing.

Edit: ...or at least let you choose where you want to download the game.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I hope that's the case, but I'll wait until it's in my hands. Updates and the likes seem to take away from the space more than they let on. Was definitely the case with PS4 & X1X
12 chips, each chip=64GB makes it 768GB/825GiB.
Updates on ps4 required ~2x the empty space of their, or the game's, size. This was because how freeBSD works. 100MB update for a 30GB game requires ~30GB free space, unless the devs designed it with chunks in mind. It sucks when you have a couple 100GB games on a 500GB drive because you pretty much need >100GB free space at all time for updates. I hope it changes with next gen but I doubt it will.

Came in here to post this, but also wanted to mention that most current USB 3.0 portable drives are capped at around 500mbs transfer speed, even if they have USB-C. There are other drives that are full-on NVME speed SSD's that can transfer much higher rates over USB-C, but they're really expensive right now.

Hopefully by this time next year it's relatively inexpensive to get a 1 or 2 TB external USB-C drive that has super fast transfer rates so that the "cold storage" setup that a lot of folks want (myself included) won't break the bank.
Don't buy an external NVME.
Get an internal NVME, buy a USB-C enclosure, you now have a fast drive.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting Microsoft's option to be far more expensive because it's proprietary (made by Seagate, ugh). With the PS5 you'll at least be able to use practically any PCIe 4.0 SSD that meets the speed requirement.

Actually tthe opposite is more likely.
MS and Seagate can make their cards cheaper by eating the cost(MS) and from the fact they would have made a large order for the cards.

I expect the Series Cards to be ~100 dollars for 1TB.
An SSD that meets the PS5 requirement would easily be 200 dollars for 1TB, maybe even more if you are buying a Samsung drive.
Prices of high speed 4.0s arent going to drop anytime soon.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
12 chips, each chip=64GB makes it 768GB/825GiB.
Updates on ps4 required ~2x the empty space of their, or the game's, size. This was because how freeBSD works. 100MB update for a 30GB game requires ~30GB free space, unless the devs designed it with chunks in mind. It sucks when you have a couple 100GB games on a 500GB drive because you pretty much need >100GB free space at all time for updates. I hope it changes with next gen but I doubt it will.

Cerny's presentation specifically said this won't happen on PS5.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it'll be more of an issue on the Xbox though, because of Game Pass. I have a 3TB external hdd right now for the X and it's nearly full.

Oct 27, 2017
A good 1tb nvme drive is 130 euros. A worse one probably can be gotten for less especially when considering buying in bulk.How expensive were HDDs when the previous generation started? (About the same).

Games are getting bigger though, so that might be a problem going forward.

Talking about Series X, since those can be upgraded with a "normal" SSD.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Would faster read/write speeds allow for quicker installation from physical media? Like, would Sony's I/O tech help with this at all or is it looking like it's solely for gameplay? I know we don't have numbers, but I haven't kept up with the tech break down and that's something I haven't seen discussed.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It will definitely become an issue once people get used to the quick resume features.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I think you can just have games on slower external storage and copy them to the faster ssd drive when you want to play them saving you redownloading.

That kinda blasts the whole "But look at how much time youll save with this new speed" stuff in the face though.

"Super fast extra speedy loading times!"

Until you need to transfer 4 titles from cold slow storage over to the ssd and vice versa.

That parts gonna suck man. Until they get bigger drives at least. Not looking forward to that tbh.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. Will the existence of a superfast drive (& powerful hardware) help with maybe lessen redundancy (from my understanding, there's a lot of repeated data/assets on HDDs to help with asset streaming) & maybe help with data compression, leading to at least relatively smaller intall sizes or installs staying roughly the same as now, or will game sizes continue to balloon? If they're getting bigger & bigger, it might become a bit of an issue. We don't have data gaps here in Finland. Infinite 100+Gbps connections are somewhat affordable & widely available (at least in cities), so downloading again isn't too much of an issue, though of course it'd be preferable to not have to do that too often.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My PC has 14.5TB of storage space total.
However, internal SSDs only account for 2.5TB of space. The rest is on USB external hard drives.
Nevertheless, I have all of the games I own that I'd ever want to play, installed somewhere.
I downloaded my games once. The ones I wanted to play immediately, I installed to my SSDs. The ones I might play later, I installed to my external drives.
When I want to play a game that I've installed to one of my external drives, I just move it onto my SSDs. The same thing I'll be doing on PS5.

Sure, it might be a bit of a pain for some users to juggle some of these giant games (LOOKING AT YOU CALL OF DUTY) on an 800-ish GB SSD, but you won't have to delete games left and right to make room for more if you just get yourself a nice-sized external drive, and use it as a backup.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
No you're not, OP.

www.resetera.com

How big of an issue do you think storage space will be on next-gen consoles?

So this is something I haven't really heard much talk about when it comes to the next-generation despite it perhaps being one of the most likely 'big issues' that this generation will bring. Personally I've come up with 5 potential issues that may come up 1) The adoption of top-of-the-line SSDs...

There's going to be a lot of problems and so much talk of cleaning the fridge.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's a problem, I am not someone at all interested in constantly deleting and re-downloading games depending on what I'm currently playing.

XSX has a slight space advantage out of the box and I'm guessing it's 1TB proprietary cards will be a little easier to find than the approved 3rd party Sony SSD'S but who knows.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I really couldn't care less unless some game is actually too big for the PS5's SSD on its own, which is really not likely.

Won't even expand the SSD storage (unless there's a great deal on a fast compatible SSD 3 years in or something), will just make do with a 4 or 5TB archival drive to store games I'm not currently playing.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I must be old school, if I want to play a game not already installed I just download it overnight for tomorrow. Already have like 20 games installed and only hitting 600gb.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Would faster read/write speeds allow for quicker installation from physical media? Like, would Sony's I/O tech help with this at all or is it looking like it's solely for gameplay? I know we don't have numbers, but I haven't kept up with the tech break down and that's something I haven't seen discussed.

The highest theoretical Blu Ray read-speed is 72 MB/s

Any decent HDD will have an actual write speed north of 100 MB/s, and many are nearer 200 MB/s

The limiting factor is reading from the Blu Ray disk, not writing to the HDD / SSD

I must be old school, if I want to play a game not already installed I just download it overnight for tomorrow. Already have like 20 games installed and only hitting 600gb.

Games are getting bigger, and not everyone has great internet.

Install the latest CoD, the latest Ubisoft Open-World-a-thon, and Microsoft Flight Simulator and you've already used up your SSD.

Last edited:

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna freakin suck lol. I know that external drives exist, but I don't like messing with that stuff.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kinda looking at it as a positive. Less space for games to be installed, so more initiative to complete what is there, then uninstall. The problem will be those games that are now being treated as a platform with constant updates throughout the gen, such as Halo: Infinite, and I'm guessing the next Forza Motorsport. Hopefully, 343i and other devs use the feature from MCC, where you could choose to leave off the MP if you want.