• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Am I setting a bad example?

• Yes

Votes: 322 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 391 54.8%

• Total voters

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm a streetcar operator in Toronto and all through out the pandemic I've avoided wearing a face mask while operating my vehicle. Mainly because I sit in a separated driver's compartment and because face masks fog up my prescription glasses which I wear while driving. Of course, I put on a mask whenever I leave the cab to deploy the ramp or walk through the passenger area but when I return to the cab I take it off. Recently, a fair number of transit riders I've been picking up now use face masks so now I'm getting self conscious about the stares I'm getting whenever I pull up to a stop.

Here's a blurry instagram pic I stumbled upon of me driving:
101138559_305477850463929_4855051618223558409_n.jpg

You can see how visible I am, so by seeing the driver not wearing a mask while at the same time the transit agency is sending out PSA's about strongly recommending mask use (which will turn into mandatory use come July), does that not send mixed messages?

Screenshot_2020-06-22_TTC_Masks_and_face_coverings.png

EDIT: A view of my cabin, you can see the driver's cab door in the streetcar facing me.
JPEG_20190614_010022.jpg

The door to my driver's cab, ignore the smashed glass:
IMG-20200414-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the title I thought you meant driving regularly in your car, but reading the description I think you should wear a mask while driving since you're on a public transport and people will most likely be looking at you a lot.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say no before opening the thread, but as a professional I'm going to have to say yes.

If your mask is fogging your glasses, you need a better fitting mask.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
If you're wearing a mask properly it shouldn't be fogging up your glasses (I was having this same issue while driving, so it's definitely not just you).

www.aao.org

How to Wear a Face Mask Without Fogging Your Glasses

An ophthalmologist shows you how to fit your face mask properly to avoid fogging up your glasses.

If you're in your own little compartment I'd say it's fine to not wear it though, especially if you're the only one driving that street car.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should wear a face mask in public places.

A driver's compartment that's behind a closed door and closed windows is not a public place IMO.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
How connected is the cab to the rest of the streetcar? You may be putting yourself at additional risk by not wearing one. As others have said, there are solutions to the fogging-up problem.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
If you're wearing a mask properly it shouldn't be fogging up your glasses (I was having this same issue while driving, so it's definitely not just you).

www.aao.org

An ophthalmologist shows you how to fit your face mask properly to avoid fogging up your glasses.

If you're in your own little compartment I'd say it's fine to not wear it though, especially if you're the only one driving that street car.

This assumes you have a mask that fits you well. A lot of places provide shitty masks that aren't sized well. No amount of pinching the wire will help.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the interiors of these vehicles look like but if you're sincerely totally separated from others I don't see the harm in not wearing the mask.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
If it's completely separate from the passengers, this might be the rare situation where hanging one around your neck or under your chin would be a pretty good compromise, "I put this on when I leave my compartment."

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to say 'driving in your car? Of course not?' but yeah in that instance I think seeing people in a professional capacity being responsible goes a long way.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

www.aao.org

It doesn't always work. It mostly depends on on your nose shape and the size of your glasses.

With the size of my nose (wich is big) of the size of my glasses (wich are small), the mask would need to be almost directly in my eyes for that to work wich is extremely uncomfortable and don't even really work (i tested).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's completely separate from the passengers, this might be the rare situation where hanging one around your neck or under your chin would be a pretty good compromise, "I put this on when I leave my compartment."
Hanging your mask on your neck or chin is not recommended, as it can potentially contaminate you when you put it back on your face.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I don't wear my mask when I'm driving my personal vehicle, but if I was sharing a vehicle or driving a vehicle that transports other people I'd do my best to wear a mask.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
How connected is the cab to the rest of the streetcar? You may be putting yourself at additional risk by not wearing one. As others have said, there are solutions to the fogging-up problem.
There used to be holes in the door so ppl could talk to me, the company has since sealed those perforations with a thick film. The cab is right beside the front door.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about driving your own personal vehicle. If you're operating public transportation then yeah you need a mask, but a better fitting one, sounds like

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Yes if you are operating a vehicle used by others you should wear a mask so that you don't get any germs on surfaces that others might touch with their hands

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Crap- I thought you were talking about in your personal car. If you are going mask-less on transit, yes you need to put a mask on right now. You are in a confined space with possiable other carriers all day. Why would you risk your own health and the health of others?

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I drive over that bridge about once a month. One day I will understand what 'This River I Step In Is Not The River I Stand In' means, but today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

I'd recommend some athletic tape or something to keep your mask pressed against your upper cheeks to prevent your breath from going up into your glasses. Also until I got a properly fitting mask I was able to place my glasses over the mask itself to make a more airtight seal, and that did help moderately even with a full beard. And good luck with the idiot passengers who refuse to wear masks because they're selfish assholes lol

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess my question would be if the air circulates from your compartment into the rest of the train.

If so, yeah you need to be wearing a mask.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
There used to be holes in the door so ppl could talk to me, the company has since sealed those perforations with a thick film. The cab is right beside the front door.
Ah I know what you mean now.

I recommend working on finding some cloth masks that fit well and don't fog up your glasses before they become mandatory for passengers, because if you aren't wearing one then that shit will be harder to enforce so you might be forced to wear one anyways if some passengers go "the driver isn't wearing one, so why do I?"

Oct 27, 2017
Initially I said no but then changed it to yes when I saw your argument.

People go on your routes everyday so there's a lot of chance for exposure. It's stupid, but at least in the US, face masks became a political issue so it's good to set an example.

Also for your own safety, I don't think social distancing is enough. They did some studies on how well social distancing versus face masks worked on those ships that had early outbreaks and with just social distancing, almost everyone got infected I believe. I guess the best you could do is try to find a mask that fits well over your nose to avoid fogging, maybe talk to the health and safety department in your city as I'm sure other government employees are dealing with the same issue.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Do most people not read the OP at all? Like he's in a cabin with no direct contact to any passengers, why would he need to wear a mask? He also says that he obviously uses a mask when he leaves the cabin

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since you're separated from the passengers it should be fine, but you may want to look into how the airflow is handled to make sure.

As far as the visual, do the passengers see you often? If so, it might be worth considering as long as you're comfortable with it. I personally cannot wear a mask for extended amounts of time.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I said no but on retrospect maybe yes. I see you said they sealed you up some, but I would be wearing one for safety reasons rather than aesthetics. Unless I felt entirely sealed off and away from others would I take it off.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I think you should put a sign on saying you encourage mask wear, but due to safety reasons (vision) and the fact that you are in a separate compartment, you aren't wearing one? I dunno, that's a lot to digest haha

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My kneejerk was "No," but then I read the thread... If you're a municipal employee operating a public service, I think you should probably wear a mask, not just to set an example but because you're likely still breathing recycled air within that compartment, right? And it's recycled with the rest of the train?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I've been wearing fabric masks with a wire around the nose and haven't had any issues with my glasses.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I answered no before seeing you are a streetcar driver. The answer is yes. That poll is not going to give accurate results. Driving in a car alone is ok. Public transit should set a good example plus you're with people.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah, you really should be wearing one if you're operating a public vehicle, as even though you're putting it on when you leave your compartment, the point is masks is basically putting them on before leaving home, then not touching them -at all- until you're home again. The constant on/off and touching just serves to spread any potential contagion around.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I was assuming you were in your car, but since you're operating a public transit vehicle it's not a bad idea to wear one.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Like so many others I voted before reading that you are driving public transit. So my answer is actually yes. People look for any excuse not to wear a mask and the driver not wearing one is a good excuse.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Given the context you should definitely be wearing a mask. I'm a glasses user and have the same issue and just tweaking the fit of my mask helped a ton. If you can't get your mask working right try to snag a different one.

Oct 27, 2017
The company you work for should make a policy about it, then you should follow that policy. Then they should display it on the tram.

Personally whilst you're isolated I don't see the issue with you not wearing a mask in the cabin. I think you masking up when required is fine.

wearing one for your entire shift for some perceived optics When you're not even coming into contact with the public in the same space?

Just seems daft.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My answer was going to be no UNLESS you were an Uber driver or something. I feel like this fits. In your instance it's not to protect yourself or others but since you are highly visible I'd set the right example.