• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify on the wine bottle opener, it was one of these kinds:

314leTbE4VL.jpg

And she was like, "well you can also use it to open soda bottles and stuff too." Which I guess maybe she was being sincere and didn't think about how getting a corkscrew would look, I dunno. I don't tend to buy soda bottles with pop caps tho.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Some people are just hard to buy for because of various reasons. Could also be an indication the person just doesn't know you very well. I used to get kinda sad about the gifts my parents gave me in my teens, not because the gifts sucked, but their gifts were basically objects which represented the lack of relationship I had with my parents, they hardly knew me during those years and it was very obvious every Christmas and birthday.
You didn't read the thread, did you?

Nov 17, 2017
She does sound inconsiderate. However, as a teacher with two kids she is probably incredibly busy, so that's a mitigating factor. Also, you cannot demand that any gift recipient puts in the same effort you do. That's not what the spirit of giving is about. I think your best solution OP is to stop exchanging gifts with the adults in the family, just say that from now on you'll give the kids gifts up to a certain age, say 16 or 18 maybe, and that's it. She'll probably be relieved, and you'll be less annoyed.
OP wanted a bag of gummy bears. I don't think they were expected some grand gesture or super expensive/thoughtful gift. So she's a teacher with 2 kids. She can't buy a bag of gummy bears from the supermarket? No, that's some bullshit.

OP isn't demanding the same effort from her, they just would like not to be insulted with the most insensitive gifts I've ever heard of.

When I got the wine bottle opener I just said "Well maybe I can use it for cooking wine or something" and said thanks. We were raised not to look a gift horse in the mouth, my dad would be super disappointed if someone would indicate they were upset with a gift. His family grew up super, ultra poor and he was pulled out of highschool at 14 to go work for money to help support his family, as the oldest of 11 children. So when he got a gift, it was rare, and you never were supposed to be ungrateful.

My mom isn't like that at all. She told me this story about how her mom, also poor, once got her entire girls-portion of the family, which consisted of 5 sisters and 2 brothers, a play kitchen set for christmas. It was one giant set, like a play stove, a play fridge, etc. Since they couldn't afford toys for every kid, they split it up, so one daughter got the stove, one got the fridge. My mom got the broom. She said when she opened her present on christmas day, and saw that she had gotten a broom for christmas, she cried uncontrollably, and my grandpa, who didn't know my grandma had done that, ran out and got her some shoes or something to make her feel better. She said that getting her a broom for christmas hurt her feelings so badly, even though she knew it wasn't meant to be that way, it just was something she couldn't control. So it's pretty natural that my mom was upset that my sister gave me that beanie when she knew I had been asking for gummy bears.
Personally, I think when the gift is something like that wine bottle opener, where it's actually just insulting. You stare down that gift horse's throat. Maybe you were raised that way but you're adults now. You need to stand up for yourself. Now I'm not saying make a scene on Christmas Day but definitely take her aside at some point and tell her how much it hurt you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She may just not interested in exchanging gifts with you anymore, and she wishes you would stop giving her these elaborate gifts so there wouldn't be this imbalance. Her thoughtless gifts could be a way of trying to communicate this, and maybe she feels like you aren't talking a hint.

Another thing -- she's bring up when people don't give her gifts. Like her own godmother hasn't gotten her christmas presents in years now, and she'll bring up how she does that. Or her mother-in-law, she'll get her other daughter-in-law a present but not my sister, and my sister will bring it up to me in private while venting. So no, I don't think that's it at all.

To be fair, her god mother also didn't get her a wedding present, which I thought was messed up.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, my family came to the conclusion that gifts should only be given to children during the Christmas holiday or to your significant other.

Exchanging gifts with all the adultsgot out of hand and needlessly expensive.
This is where my family's at. My mom got me a bottle of cologne this year but it's just because it's from the same company she gets it for my dad.

we consider spending time with each other and eating nice meals to be the reason for the season. It's great. If I️ ever have kids I️ know they'd start getting them gifts though.

I️ get some stuff for my girlfriend but that's because I️ keep asking her to skip gifts and she refuses. If sucks because I'm pretty good at picking out gifts and she typically isn't (This year she did alright)

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Just to clarify on the wine bottle opener, it was one of these kinds:

314leTbE4VL.jpg

And she was like, "well you can also use it to open soda bottles and stuff too." Which I guess maybe she was being sincere and didn't think about how getting a corkscrew would look, I dunno. I don't tend to buy soda bottles with pop caps tho.
She's just grabbing shit from around the house and giving it to you. How have you not spoke to her about how lazy her gifts are?

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Another thing -- she's bring up when people don't give her gifts. Like her own godmother hasn't gotten her christmas presents in years now, and she'll bring up how she does that. Or her mother-in-law, she'll get her other daughter-in-law a present but not my sister, and my sister will bring it up to me in private while venting. So no, I don't think that's it at all.
Huh. Yeah, that sucks.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Lol using a wine bottle opener for soda.
I agree with some here, you gotta talk with you sister. Don't let the gummies wallpaper over the real issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's just grabbing shit from around the house and giving it to you. How have you not spoke to her about how lazy her gifts are?

I'm truthfully not a hard person to please when it comes to gifts, the thought matters most. I remember when I was in college, I was the president of my fraternity, and it was the first semester I was running the chapter during finals for christmas break. So aside from studying for finals, I had a bunch of other obligations related to setting up end of year parties and paying national's dues and planning a trip to attend a mandatory national meeting and things like that. It was honestly hectic. In my fraternity, you have a pledge twin, so like in the pledge class, you'll have one person who is your twin, meaning you are supposed to be linked. My pledge twin's mom sent me a card in the mail with $10 in it that christmas telling me to treat myself to lunch on her as thanks for running the fraternity, and it meant so much to me.

When people think of me, it means more than what they get me. It takes a lot for me to go complain to someone about what they got me, just because it's so driven in that the thought matters most. The only reason I'm upset at all is because I don't sense any thought in this gift at all.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Other than maybe my first sentence I don't see the problem with my post bud. I guess I should be like other posters and just say the sister sucks and stop giving her stuff? I don't know the dynamic of their OP and his sister, but his sister could actually not really *know* the OP, even if the OP seems to know his sister and family well, which the Texans beanie indicates the OP's sister might actually know the OP other than surface level crap. Some people pay almost zero attention to others, even family members, and could easily not actually know their siblings on the level required for thoughtful gift giving.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
For people asking about outsiders perspective, my mom pulled me away today and told me she was going to get after my sister for her gift to me, which is what really made me think about all this. She told me that she thought my sister was being selfish and that she "didn't raise her to be like that." But I told her not to say anything because I didn't want to make things weird. My mom can be an emotional woman, though, so I dunno if I'm just reading into her reaction more than I should or not.

OP, this probably should be the route you go. Have your mom talk to your sister as a third party with some of your talking points (wine opener for a recovering alcoholic, for example). I don't have an answer of how to proceed from here on out but that should be the first step.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, her god mother also didn't get her a wedding present, which I thought was messed up.
She obviously doesn't share the same values as you regarding gifts. This is just going to keep happening until you say something.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
She doesn't understand you. She exists in her world and her family and friends. You are not into the same things as her and on a different path and she LITERALLY CANT MAKE THE EFFORT to understand it.

You are a weirdo to her. She does not care. You are probably five minutes of stress for her that ends with a laugh because YOU are weird and it's YOUR fault she can't personalize a gift.

She's probably uncomfortable with your personified gifts because she can never express that kind of emotion for you that you do for her. She may even mock you for it behind your back.

You care so much more than her and have wasted your efforts on her.

Nov 17, 2017
Some people are just hard to buy for because of various reasons. Could also be an indication the person just doesn't know you very well. I used to get kinda sad about the gifts my parents gave me in my teens, not because the gifts sucked, but their gifts were basically objects which represented the lack of relationship I had with my parents, they hardly knew me during those years and it was very obvious every Christmas and birthday.
OP for the tenth time in 2 months: "I'd really Iove a bag of gummy bears or any kind of candy for Christmas."

Damn, what a hard read.

Lol it's so obvious.

Yeah, when OP said their sister's husband liked hunting and guns and she got OP a hunting magazine, it was pretty clear it had been laying around the house and she just pawned it off to OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than maybe my first sentence I don't see the problem with my post bud. I guess I should be like other posters and just say the sister sucks and stop giving her stuff? I don't know the dynamic of their OP and his sister, but his sister could actually not really *know* the OP, even if the OP seems to know his sister and family well, which the Texans beanie indicates the OP's sister might actually know the OP other than surface level crap. Some people pay almost zero attention to others, even family members, and could easily not actually know their siblings on the level required for thoughtful gift giving.

My sister definitely knows the deal with the Texans because she's told me to "stop sucking off Vince Young and get over it" in the past. Her exact words. My family has had Texans season tickets since the very first season. My family is actually ultra into sports, my brother in law was an MLB pitcher. They know I'm not into the Texans because my parents divvy up season tickets among all the family every year, and I tell them they can have mine because I don't want to go. They know I watch the Rockets, not the Texans, because, for example, on Thanksgiving some years, we've had arguments about whether or not to watch football or basketball.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
OP you're still going to talk to her right? Or are you going to quietly take your consolation gummies and then create a thread next year when it happens again?

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
trying to gift wrap a magazine seems like an experience that would afford multiple opportunities to rethink it as a suitable gift

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you're still going to talk to her right? Or are you going to quietly take your consolation gummies and then create a thread next year when it happens again?

I dunno, I'm just kind of laying around the house today. My mom and god mother are coming by later, maybe I'll vent with them and hear what they have to say.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
That's honestly pretty rough, man. I try my best to get things for my family that they will enjoy and appreciate. Often I don't get reciprocated with gifts of equal value/thought, and sometimes it bums me out, but I get a lot of joy from giving so it's whatever. However, I've never gotten anything as low effort as the stuff you've gotten from your sis. I'd rather get nothing, than get something that had literally zero thought put into it.

Like, I felt bad just giving my sis some cash this year, but at least I know she will appreciate and use that. You can't do anything with the shit your sister is gifting you. I mean all you wanted was some damn candy. That's not asking for much. That would hurt me too.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I dunno, I'm just kind of laying around the house today. My mom and god mother are coming by later, maybe I'll vent with them and hear what they have to say.

I suggest typing up a summary of what you've said in this thread and bring it up with her when an appropriate opportunity arises. Tell her that she has hurt you and ask her why she feels the need to do that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, I felt bad just giving my sis some cash this year, but at least I know she will appreciate and use that. You can't do anything with the shit your sister is gifting you. I mean all you wanted was some damn candy. That's not asking for much. That would hurt me too.

Hey man, cash can be great. My nephew is 19 years old, just started working after graduating from highschool. He gave me $20 for christmas. I honestly don't need $20, but he told me "I earned this money myself, it didn't come from mom and dad (my brother)" and that made it feel really special to me. Not going to lie, legitimately one of the better christmas gifts this year IMO.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I would just stop giving her stuff, if she haven't said something like "let's keep the gifting to kids only."

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think your gifts are bit too thoughtful. If you do it every holiday/birthday, were i the receipient i'd find it too much. I mean there's only two outcomes to this: either i feel guilty and need to repay the effort, or i don't care to do so and pretend/become convinced it's weird and simply give something random in return.

Then again i don't have siblings and i've never been close to a relative not even 1/50th of what you say you have (but clearly it's very onesided and/or unbalanced) so what do i know.

Oct 27, 2017
You either need to stop giving her gifts wholesale (passive aggressive solution), or actually take her aside and explain how much her lame shit is hurting you as her brother (direction solution).

You wrote 10 paragraphs complaining that you don't recieve the gifts you think you deserve.

Also, your gifts are pretty creepy. You made a collage of her pet that died 5 years prior, kinda fucked up.
Wtf?

This is a really really dumb take, and incredibly rude to OP.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Hey man, cash can be great. My nephew is 19 years old, just started working after graduating from highschool. He gave me $20 for christmas. I honestly don't need $20, but he told me "I earned this money myself, it didn't come from mom and dad (my brother)" and that made it feel really special to me. Not going to lie, legitimately one of the better christmas gifts this year IMO.

Man, you're too good, and I like that.

Perhaps you're just more sentimental compared to your sister and others. You can either keep doing it, because you like to, or you give up because it's not appreciated or reciprocated.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I stopped giving gifts to everyone awhile ago. I buy gifts for my GF and my nephews. Keeps it simple, and everyone doesn't have to feel pressured in figuring out a gift to give back in return.

Pretty much this in our household. It just got crazy to an already busy christmas season. Buying for the nephews/Nieces/Spouse and your own kids is its own level of hassle. Adding another layer with siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles etc Either you drive yourself a bit nuts with trying to figure out something good/unique to get or everyone gets a bottle of wine or a Gift card, and at that point, what is the point? Might as well just hand them cash.

That was sort of how presents in our household started to lose meaning, when everyone (adults) was just giving each other cash in envelopes.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
That's very heartwarming. I can see how special that would be.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, I love my sister, and my brother. I don't want to "bring her down a notch," I don't want to get petty or even with them. I love them, I don't want to hurt them or make them feel bad. I like that about our family, we never were ones to be mean to each other or hold grudges or anything. We would actually talk about how lucky we were that we weren't like families who couldn't stand each other.

if shes hurting you I think you should let her know.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Her gifts are straight up disrespectful lol. A hunting magazine for someone who doesn't like hunting? A wine opener for a recovering alcoholic? A beanie for an NFL team you don't like (while also signaling you just wanted some cheap candy for Christmas)?

She is def regifting things they already have lying around the house. If they are getting your parents nice and expensive gifts, to me it signals they don't really think about you when they are looking for gifts for everyone

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As someone who puts minimum obligation on social reciprocation, yeah she's being a dick.

You wrote 10 paragraphs complaining that you don't recieve the gifts you think you deserve.

Also, your gifts are pretty creepy. You made a collage of her pet that died 5 years prior, kinda fucked up.

So are loving relationships alien to you or do you just post what you think will provoke the biggest response?

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Your sister sucks.

Stop giving her these thoughtful gifts. They are lost on her. Focus on her kids and just stop exchanging gifts with her altogether. Cut out the stress.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Her gifts to you are insultingly bad. Like, I felt bad giving some Amazon gift cards this year, but holy shit.

You should keep giving cool/thoughtful gifts to her kids, but definitely stop putting any effort into her gifts from now on. TBH if I were you in this scenario, I'd give the bottle opener/hat/hunting magazine (???) back to her for the next gift. If she can grab something from her junk pile on the way out the door, so can you.

I entered the thread expecting to roll my eyes at some ungrateful post about getting gift cards, but that OP was kinda shocking.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie. Her presents sound like trolls. I would be pissed actually, i'd rather get nothing than the things she's giving you in the context you're describing.

Oof just read the candy part. She's an asshole dude.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to get a bit petty to send a message (like get her the latest issue of Game Informer!), and you don't want to stop gifting with her so feelings aren't hurt, AND you don't want to talk with her about it at all... what do you expect?

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like your sister is giving you random things she got laying around on her house
maybe start doing the same

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
shit, i'm getting satisfaction out of the gifts you're giving.
unfortunately you're going to have to lower your expectations for your sister. it's not your fault, but you're the one dealing with the fallout of the unmet expected reciprocity, so... delete that.
continue giving awesome gifts because it's what you want to do.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Btw op I think you're incredibly gracious despite these festive shenanigans from your sister. Kudos to you.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, you don't have to go into it, but how is your relationship with your sister outside of gift-giving and Christmas? Are you more successful then she is? Maybe she's jealous and does it to spite you?

Oct 25, 2017
Thousands of dollars?! The fuck are you getting your family? Between my parents and my brother, I spend around $200 or so.

Yeah because you are buying for 3 people. I mean think of families with more siblings, any of them get married you add another gift for their spouse. If you get married you have a whole other set of parents and siblings, plus their spouses, and if anyone has kids to buy for.

I went from needing to buy 4 gifts for my immediate family to 11 with my wife's family.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Well there are some people who don't really much put effort into gifts, but damn, a hunting magazine, a sports team beanie that you're not a fan off, and a bottle opener? Those are weird. But hey, don't over think it, what's important is that you're thoughtful, sweet, and nice.

You could also talk to her about this since it's bothering you.