• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
How is this 90's? Back in the 90's I was rocking Jncos, a chain wallet, and had my belt hanging down to my knees. And before that, jeans with holes in the knees. lol

I never saw anything like this back then.

I guess it depends where you are from and if you were part of a certain youth- or subculture. I grew up in France and Germany. I was a teenager in the late 90s/early 00s who was really into Techno. This looks a lot more 90s to me than what you described.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this actually widespread in Belgium? Are kids who dress like this actually considered cool? I feel like kids who dressed like this in the US would be ostracized (or would already be ostracized).

OP
OP
fierrotlepou

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had people into similar fashion when I was 20

1-500.jpg

That's the dresscode in our household though.

Is this actually widespread in Belgium? Are kids who dress like this actually considered cool? I feel like kids who dressed like this in the US would be ostracized (or would already be ostracized).

I scrolled through profiles of friends of friends on Instagram and found lots of them with huge followings.

Haven't really seen any in the wild though.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I'm from Belgium and stumbled upon lots of kids dressing like this (at least on Instagram). It's fucking weird. Not sure if I can brand them white nationalists or whatever, they sure seem to like black mumble "rappers".
So the style is not associated with white nationalists or neo nazis? (It does give off that vibe)

Mumble rappers are the worst as well lol.

Like someone else mentioned it is definitely techwear inspired, but way more leaning to neo militarism..

If it was up to them they arm themselves and regulate themselves. No government whatsoever. You'd be surprised how many folk are up for this and not only kids. So called adults as well.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Never seen any of these in public, in Belgium. Maybe it's just an online thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the kid from War of the Worlds (with Tom Cruise).

Fitting since he also did a bad Goku cosplay for that DBZ movie.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Bwhaha... never seen that.
Are they trying to look like game characters or something?

Insecure kids trying to look scary. Aww.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its basically Watch Dogs or The Division look, right? These things usually feed off each other and theres always a new anti establishment fashion going around. As popular media like movies and games keep promoting violence to be something awesome (most E3 trailers) its pretty normal for the fashion getting some real life traction.

You're not old, its just that in 2019 you cant be expected to be able to keep track of the whole world. When you were younger, even with the internet, communities were still a lot more insular.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
It's called being white. If these people were black or brown there'd be an FBI SWAT team kicking their door down.

EDIT: Second and third pictures weren't posted when I made this comment, I dunno what those outfits are about.
Man, get the fuck out with that đź’©.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
shit like acroynm has been around for decades now or guerrilla group since the early 2010s and has been discussed for a while

kids aren't really dressing like this these days. it's just the uptick in social media and "influencers" doing it for the likes that it really gains much traction at all. if you have to ask social media probably isn't reflective of reality.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Dude in the second pic is pretty fresh I'm not gonna lie. The more subtle techwear can be cool but some people go over the top with it. Like any fashion trend, things are good in moderation.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Isn't this just streetwear/techwear?

Whenever I see white supremacists on tv they are dressed in polos and beige chinos.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been noticing a trend lately (in Belgium, NOT in the USA - that I know of) with "kids" (20 year olds) on instagram doing photoshoots while being dressed like – for lack of a better description – school shooters, posing with airsoft rifles, etc.

What's this called? And ... why?

mxdvs-brend.jpg.pagespeed.ce.0J4iDOejc0.jpg
source.gif

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That one pic with the Street Fighter IV Training Room background is pretty cool tbh

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
You sure they're not going to an airsoft event or something? I've dressed like this during some "ops" back in the day.

EDIT: The last two photos didn't load. That's just fashion.

Oct 27, 2017
these are the kids who used to listen to metal but discovered a very dark and gritty underground subculture of soundcloud trap and drill music

case in point :

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
It's just their Chuunibyou phase. I'm sure 5-10 years from now they'll think about how they dressed up and cringed themselves to death.