• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's not bad, but it's not good either. Thanks to all the remasters this gen, you can get most of PS3's noteworthy games on other systems, mostly PS4.

I've also been looking at my PS3 collection recently and there just isn't a lot there that's begging to be played.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last gen was riddled with samey and average cover shooters and ADS shooters that are redundant nowadays. The most PS3 essentials saw improved remasters on PS4. There isn't that much left thats not done better on PS4. Demon's Souls, MGS4, Infamous 1 and 2, Motorstorm series are still fun to play today, Killzone 2 perhaps but its lag is atrocious.

I had some great fun playing on PS3, but jesus the performance and IQ of a lot of games was nothing short of shit when I see them now.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm, I think our tastes are a little similar, so from looking at what I own (or would like to get):

No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Awakened Fate Ultimatum
Sleeping Dogs (also on PS4)
Driver: San Francisco
Tekken 6
Tekken Hybrid
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Ridge Racer 7
Sly Trilogy
Jak & Dexter Trilogy
God of War Collections 1 & 2
Eternal Sonata
Binary Domain
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Genji: Days of the Blade
SoulCalibur V
Motorstorm series
House of the Dead series (works with Move)
Heavenly Sword
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Remember Me
Portal 2

Also if you're up for importing, I'm thinking of getting Boku no Natsuyasumi 3.....someday....

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 has an incredible library, though a lot of its standout games have been ported to PS4 or PC at this point.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I hate using my PS3. Everything about it sucks aside from some exclusives and the 7.2 audio output. The online is clunky, multiplats are usually the worst version, manditory installs, a patch system that can't do cumulative patches, bad controller, etc.

I think the 360 has aged a lot better. You get the best version of most games, fast UX, 1080p upscaling, better (still 100% running) online, and your purchases carry forward thanks to BC. PS3 has some great exclusives (Demon's Souls), but a lot of the "prestige" titles aren't so hot now that the graphics are bad. I find it harder to excuse sub-HD sub-30FPS without the presentional wow factor.

I'm perfectly fine with Sony pulling a Nintendo and porting everything worthwhile to the PS5. Even if RDR became BC on PS5, it would still be based on the worst version.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I made this point a while back and it might not be completely accurate anymore but I'm too lazy to check again and I'm sure the message still holds:

It's definitely a good point. The PS3 simply has more original games than the PS4 does, and on the whole they're higher quality.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Last gen was riddled with samey and average cover shooters and ADS shooters that are redundant nowadays. The most PS3 essentials saw improved remasters on PS4. There isn't that much left thats not done better on PS4. Demon's Souls, MGS4, Infamous 1 and 2, Motorstorm series are still fun to play today, Killzone 2 perhaps but its lag is atrocious.

I had some great fun playing on PS3, but jesus the performance and IQ of a lot of games was nothing short of shit when I see them now.

Well the less said about this gen's Mass Effect output, the better.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
More than the software the thing that annoys me the most if I try to go back to the PS3 is the controller.

I didn't love how it felt when it came out and after the DS4 now it is just horrible in comparison.

As with all generations software how much you liked it depends on how much liked the current trends of the industry.

OP
OP
Benzychenz

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hmmm, I think our tastes are a little similar, so from looking at what I own (or would like to get):

No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Awakened Fate Ultimatum
Sleeping Dogs (also on PS4)
Driver: San Francisco
Tekken 6
Tekken Hybrid
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Ridge Racer 7
Sly Trilogy
Jak & Dexter Trilogy
God of War Collections 1 & 2
Eternal Sonata
Binary Domain
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Genji: Days of the Blade
SoulCalibur V
Motorstorm series
House of the Dead series (works with Move)
Heavenly Sword
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Remember Me
Portal 2

Also if you're up for importing, I'm thinking of getting Boku no Natsuyasumi 3.....someday....
Are Eternal Sonata and El Shaddai actually good games? I'm under the impression they're solid 7's but nothing more.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Are Eternal Sonata and El Shaddai actually good games? I'm under the impression they're solid 7's but nothing more.

El Shaddai is a fun game. diverse, and very visually striking. The story is nothing to write home about but if you're aware of the Book of Enoch and similar biblical apocrypha there's some interesting things there. On the whole most people are NOT so I imagine a lot of the references simply went over the heads of the audience.

Jan 3, 2019
More than the software the thing that annoys me the most if I try to go back to the PS3 is the controller.

I didn't love how it felt when it came out and after the DS4 now it is just horrible in comparison.

As with all generations software how much you liked it depends on how much liked the current trends of the industry.
Most games I tried let you use the DS4

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I think every game I bought a PS3 for got PS4 ports. I bought it for Uncharted, then the Nathan Drake Collection comes out. I bought it for Kingdom Hearts, those collections got ported and bundled several times over. I made a bad buy. Oh well, lesson learned.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

I'd say you're bang on the money, they're solid. What I like about them is that both games still look quite nice thanks to their strong art styles. Personally, I like to boot up the old consoles sometimes just to see what they were able to do, and the two are always pleasant to see. They're also not available digitally I believe, so they're worth owning in that sense as well.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I think every game I bought a PS3 for got PS4 ports. I bought it for Uncharted, then the Nathan Drake Collection comes out. I bought it for Kingdom Hearts, those collections got ported and bundled several times over. I made a bad buy. Oh well, lesson learned.
At least you didn't but it for The Last Guardian like me

Oct 27, 2017
This generation has generally plucked the best of last gen and done a good job at preserving them for future gens with resolution bumps etc.

I think the one genre that is exempt from this is racing games. Arcade racers in particular. Some of the best racing games ever made are indefinitely stuck on Xbox 360 and PS3 as both exclusives and via third parties.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Benzychenz you need to play Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, it really is an hidden gem

511jwmiSO5L._AC_.jpg

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I remember asking for a PS3 and a guitar one year and got neither. I never was really that interested in getting one after that until maybe TLOU came out that June, but even then, we were hearing talks of next gen (current gen) so that never came into fruition. Instead, I made a much more concerted effort to get the PS4 because it was clear I couldn't let the robot dinosaurs and Spiderman happen without me.

Horizon spoke to me - it's E3 reveal is still one of the best of all time and the art direction is still impeccable. But the thing that gets me about it is that the concept is cool. That's it. Just ungodly art and tech direction for that game.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Honestly going by that list, you've covered some the major games but I do agree that the PS3's library isn't as great as the PS1, PS2 or PS4's. There are a lot of derivative games and sequel syndrome. Not to mention, the tail end of the generation the games were running really poorly.

Main thing PS3 has over PS4 imo are the racing games, but even there it was sorely lacking compared to the PS1, PS2 and even Xbox 360. That's one area I wish there were more focus on but Microsoft sadly are the only ones who care enough about that genre since Forza is so successful.

Oct 31, 2017
Joke thread ? You own a lot of PS3 games already.

A few you don't own yet:

Gow Collection(s) + Ascension
EX Troopers
Killzone 2 + 3
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia HD
Tales of Xillia 1 + 2

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Maybe it's just your buying decisions that need to get better? Like, I think you have a pretty damn good PS3 library with only a handful of exceptions.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
IMO outside of the Naughty Dog games and Demons Souls the PS3 first party output is pretty mediocre, at least compared to the PS4. And I absolutely loved LittleBigPlanet at the time but I imagine it doesn't hold up well today for most people.

3rd Party output is pretty good but personally I preferred playing most of them (at least Dark Souls, GTA V, and the Mass Effect trilogy) on 360

Jan 2, 2018
Gonna put my PS3 library here to give you some ideas,I'm having tons of fun with my PS3 after I upgraded to 1TB SSD and made almost all my library digital and fitted it in:
Sly 1-4+Bentley's Backpack
Ratchet HD Collection+Gladiator
Ratchet Future Trilogy (plus Quest for Booty)
Ratchet Q Force+All 4 One
Jak HD Collection
God of War Collection+Origins Collection+Ascension
LBP 1+2+Karting
Dyad (fun game!)
When Vikings Attack!
Persona 4 Ultimax (also includes P4 Arena as DLC)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online (has some light sp content)
Street Fighter vs Tekken (shitty PC version)
Killzone 1 HD +2 +3
Haze (I know....)
Folklore (very special game)
Nier (there's a remaster coming so you might want to wait on that)
Prince of Persia HD Collection (Sands of Time has SEVERE sound issues mind you but other than that the games are running fine)
Tokyo Jungle
RAIN
PAIN
Siren PS3 (never had the guts to play it to be honest)
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Graces
Goldeneye Reloaded
James Bond Bloodstone
ICO+ SOTC HD Collection
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1+2
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm Trilogy (have a soft spot for the first one)+RC
Drakengard 3
Resistance 1-3
MGS HD Collection
MGS 4
DBZ Budokai HD Collection
Calling All Cars
Infamous 1+2+Blood Festival
Medal of Honor Frontline HD
The Last Guy
Trash Panic
Starhawk
Shadows of the Damned
Top Spin 4

There's also TONS of PS One games (all discs are BC)+ PS2 Classics that aren't available on PS4,this is what I got:
Persona 3 FES
SMT Nocturne
SMT Digital Devil Saga 1+2
Shinobi
Suikoden III+IV
Maximo
Maximo vs Army of Zin
Sonic Heroes (loved this game as a kid what can I say..)
Some Disney games

And..I think that's that,probably missed some,but as you can see I mostly focused on exclusives as the PS3 was not great for multiplatforms,and I'm having TONS of fun with the console,I honestly think I'm using it more than my PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I learned my lesson at least! I no longer buy consoles unless there's at least 5 games actually out that I want to play on them.

True. I bought a Switch, and it sits there untouched because it has such a shit library unless you love Nintendo games or it's your only console. I've spent more time playing my PS3, not to mention my PS4, than my Switch the last year, really.