• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
To me it was one of those obviously "well made" games that are just tremendously boring and I couldn't get through more than an hour of the game before uninstalling it. Felt like I figured out the entire experience once I got into the base open world progression loop and didn't have to keep playing.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Recently platinumed the game. I say the combat is all it's merit, just purely fun especially when you upgrade most abilities.

On the other hand the open world and story are pretty much garbage.

If you spend hours mindlessly doing patrol in Destiny just for the gunplay, I say you will likely like this game for it's gameplay too.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
It was OK?

I'm not really sure even I know what I mean when I say this but, it was a video game ass video game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Shooting is on point, but the open world is bland and boring. Cutscenes and story are also really bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I was building up to making this thread too OP.

After all the negative stuff I've heard about it, I waited until it was £12 second hand, but after playing for a couple of weeks I'm really enjoying it. It's just brain off fun;

- Combat is fantastic. Seriously good, meaty, fast, fun.
- Solid physics, stuff moves around and breaks and it never gets old slugging bad guys off the edge of cliffs with the shotgun or shatter.
- Graphics are good. The reflections are really good, lighting is nice, I like the bright colours.
- Open world is nowhere near as dull as I expected, it's not the best but it doesn't detract from the experience. Traversal in the Phoenix is generally fun.
- I like the aesthetic and the mutants and so on.

Stuff I'm less keen on;
- What the hell is up with the menus!? So laggy. Multiple seconds just to switch categories. Really bad.
- Story is neither here nor there.
- The open world is a bit odd in that it doesn't really feel like a place if that makes sense. It's obviously a game world. It's a curious kixnof canyons scattered with lamp posts and bits of broken freeway, you never get the sense this was an actual place. Which is odd considering Mad Max was fantastic in this regard, a wide open space that had a real sense of once being a place, a coastline. The dried up seabead and the broken bridge etc.
- I suppose the combat does get a bit samey after a while.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're crazy. I didn't think there was much of anything worthwhile in the game. The one exception being the very satisfying shotgun.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the shooting gameplay for the most part but the open world was mainly a waste of time with nothing really compelling to do. It would have worked so much better as a hub area where you go out and do specific missions rather than this huge open world where you don't even need to visit 80% of the map.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Mad Max and Rage 2 have both the makings of an utterly brilliant game they had to ruin with an uninteresting open world filled with uninteresting objectives.

They are a hair away from greatness, yet so far.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weapons/powers are great in Rage 2 and it's a lot of fun because of it. Can't always go by reviews/various hot takes when judging a game

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, OK. I just remember similar reactions to mm
The thing about Mad Max is that the open world is actually fun and immersive. In Rage 2 it is more like a huge stretch of land that is there to make you drive cars (which are nowhere near as engaging as MM and building your own car) between each shootout/activity so it feels like it is in the way of the good stuff.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
It's a good example for a game that is open world just for being open world. It doesn't need it and it doesn't enhance the experience. I feel like a more linear game design with some open areas and more focus on characters and story would've made it a better overall game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, I liked what I played of it , but fell out of it very quickly and probably barely played more than 2 hours

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldnt call you crazy but wouldnt call Rage 2 anything more than "painfully bland and mediocre" either

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I really liked the combat, a lot actually. Just like Rage 1 though, the open world is not a good thing for that combat. The game is better without it IMO!

Oct 27, 2017
Weapons/powers are great in Rage 2 and it's a lot of fun because of it. Can't always go by reviews/various hot takes when judging a game

But most people agree that the shooting is top-notch? The problem is that all of the open world stuff gets in the way and only serves to pad out the game.

I also had an issue where I sometimes couldn't see the enemy clearly enough to be able to shoot them (because the environments weren't brightly lit enough), and sometimes the screens were so busy with so much information that it was hard to make things out clearly.

Oct 25, 2017
My big issue with the open world is that it's not fun to drive around in thanks to the car physics. You have a top speed cap and a top turbo speed cap which you can never exceed. So if you use turbo to jump a ledge and then let go of turbo mid-air, your car slows down mid-air to the non-turbo speed cap. It doesn't feel good at all.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Agree on most of the sentiments here. The shooting is good, and the weapons are definitely fun in combination with the powers. Vortex into a juicy high altitude slam never gets old, nor do the gravity darts.

The story and characters are utterly forgettable though and WTF at that ending (if you can even call it that).

The explosions though, love those effects. E.g. that nuke on the Authority/Goon squad tank on a Scorpion tank from Halo, yes please.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I finished Rage 2 yesterday after waiting months for it to appear on game pass. It's not terrible by any means but aggressively average. Nothing bad just dull and repetitive when there's not even 8 story missions, the game is basically all the open world filler.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I really enjoyed it, the open world design was great. Every piece of exploration was very rewarding. The shooting was was really fun.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
The gunplay was great but it's literally 'clear out the outpost' the game.The campaign was very short too.I do love Rage as an IP though,was very excited when they announced a second one,it probably didn't need an open world tbh.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I had a blast. The game certainly didn't overstay it's welcome.

also, the story was pretty bad.

I like the shooting and powers. I'm in for more. It ran great on PC at launch, too.

*fake edit* and fuck Bethesda for once again not having customizable controls. I had to run the game by stating it in steam, and then swapping the joystick functions. Seriously, get fucking fucked with fate keeping accessibility options.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
There must be something wrong with me too because Rage 2 gets shit on for absolutely nothing, I hate he coins are whatever so Bethesda can avoid tax but I like the game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Typical open-world toss imo. The fact that the game plays well does nothing to hide tired game-design.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic gunplay and movement but the open wolrd is boring and a chore to play.

The story is sub par aswell.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game to get on game pass. Mechanically sound game that is dragged down by the open world design. I'm enjoying it.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
I'm simultaneously very much enjoying it and also can see why others would not find it worth their time (poor writing, open world busywork). It just so happens that I find the gameplay and graphics good enough to put up with its flaws.

Interestingly, coming from Mad Max they switched out the best part (great vehicle combat) for another highlight (id-style gunplay) while keeping the weak points (story, mission variety) of its predecessor.

Interestingly, I find Avalanche's open world busywork more tolerable than similar style mission design in Ubisoft games, but I don't exactly know why.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Rage's combat is among the best, if not the best this gen. Honestly it's so damn good I don't give a crap about story (like that matters much in an FPS), and can tolerate the drab open world.

Seriously some of the moves are so damn satisfying to pull off and the shotgun rocks, as does the tether gun.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I was enjoying it until I got a game ending bug that wouldnt progress the game. Good gunplay but boring open world.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
If you spend hours mindlessly doing patrol in Destiny just for the gunplay, I say you will likely like this game for it's gameplay too.

good way of putting it. depends on how much you can tolerate "podcast game" turn your brain off busywork

personally i find it a relaxing but some want every open world design to be witcher 3 or whatever, and nothing wrong with that but point is mileage will vary

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The story and everything around it was so bad it dragged down the game to the point the gameplay couldn't even save it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone comment about the post launch support? It's currently out on steam for $18 but I notice it has a ton of DLC and updates. Did any of that address some people's criticisms of the open world being boring?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
played it a bit on gamepass and initially thought it was okay, but it's really too fucking buggy. at least on the one x. just couldn't deal with the hard crashes in menus

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay is fun but it's just the same thing over and over. The game rarely presents you with interesting environments that challenge the use of your abilities, it's just the same grunts in one camp to the next. If you can clear one you can clear the next.

When you compare it to a game like Doom which is able to escalate the level design based on which abilities, and experience the player has, Rage features some very unfortunate encounter design.

Those encounters are also when the game is at its absolute best. The open world exploration is a tedious chore. Vehicles feel very slow, vehicular combat is one-note, and the open world has very little of interest to discover beyond the same five or so objectives.

It may sound like an odd feature request considering the games issues, but I think co-operative play would have been a game changer in Rage 2. Driving around in a Warhog in Halo is an incredibly simplistic, but compelling co-operative activity which I think would have been a huge asset to Rage 2's open world, and hunting down the collectibles in each area would have been far less tedious with a friend to lend a hand.

They should have also doubled down on where the game was at its best. More arenas and intense firefights.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone comment about the post launch support? It's currently out on steam for $18 but I notice it has a ton of DLC and updates. Did any of that address some people's criticisms of the open world being boring?

I bought the deluxe edition which includes the Ghosts DLC. It adds a new enemy type to battle that's a little more evasive then your standard enemies. New weapon is cool and you get the BFG from Doom. There's also a couple new vehicles, but none of this addresses the complaints of a ho hum open world.
You're still doing the same thing, which is okay if you love the combat.

Haven't played Terrormania, but it looks good. Just a warning that if you do buy Rage 2, and choose the deluxe edition from Steam - the DLC which begins after you finish the campaign may not start. I had to contact Bethesda and they had to activate it on their end after I provided proof of purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
No. I played it in November. The DLC is actually difficult to buy because you need to buy it with Rage Coins for some reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I will say I expected more from the open world and the car combat/driving given Avalanche's history with Mad Max. Mad Max had really engaging driving physics, the car felt good to drive, the car combat was meaty and aggressive and the landscape and sense of space and place was immense, it felt like a ruined desolate place.

In Rage 2 the car physics are functional, the landscape feels a bit odd to drive through as it doesn't feel right, the convoy and car combat is a bit rubbish so it's just not as engaging. I'm ok with the traversal for the most part but it could have been better. I so like the amount of rubbish and detritus everywhere in Rage 2, it's littered everywhere and looks pretty good when you crash through it as does the amount of breakable rocks and so on you can smash through.

Oct 25, 2017
The open world isn't even just boring, the way the content is paced and accessed within it is just bad. If you don't spend all your time looking for guns and abilities early on, you could easily miss some of the best until there's no content to enjoy them with. You need the right gating or interaction between this kind of progression system and open world.

Anyway, I thought the combat loop an moment to moment gameplay was incredible and everything else around it badly implemented. You can tell the game is the product of salvaging another one on a specific budget, but it was still great in some respects.