• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Caoimhe is a perfectly normal name in Ireland, but you're right, all Irish mothers or women from other cultures should choose their childrens' names based on how easy they are for the predominantly North American users of resetera to spell and whether or not they might sound similar to slang like "queef" that is basically unknown in Ireland/the country in question.

There seems to be a racist/cultural supremacist undertone to this question and a lot of the answers here.

Should all immigrants to the USA give their children good white american sounding names? Should the OP's wife give their daughter a more acceptable name for the UK audience?
How about all the other immigrants from around the world living in the UK? Should they forget their culture and call their children Bill and Mary so as not to inconvenience the white majority?

Yep. It's perfectly reasonable to want to give your child a name which you and your partner both agree on, but the reasoning for the dismissal of the name in this case, and some of the answers given in this thread, are borderline xenophobic and the racist undertones would be rightly called out by now in the thread if it wasn't an Irish name but a more US-centric name.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Easier said than done I know, but I think it's really important that you settle on a name that you're both 100% happy with if at all possible. My wife and I really struggled with our first child's name, and ended up picking something that neither of us was all that happy with, almost out of desperation. After a few months we realised it just wasn't working, so we changed it to something else that we like and that suits her. But it was a lot of stress for a few months that we all could have done without.

Incidentally we're also in Scotland, and one of the names we considered was Mairead. One of the reasons we didn't go with it was because we couldn't decide on pronunciation (my-red vs. ma-raid).

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think you'll be achieving beyond your child facing these issues in this context?

Sad reality. Kids are a cruel and the Kale Breckin thing on this proves adults are just as bad.
So what, only have names on an approved list because otherwise people make fun?

Fuck that. Come on, surely you understand that we can't celebrate diversity while prohibiting it because some people are bigots.

No. A child is named for what they represent to their parents, and then, they get the ability to pass on their experience a little bit when they may have children. It's more than a word, it's a statement. Removing the power of that statement because of what others may think removes the point.

Children are made fun of for things they can't control, their heritage, their parents, their ethnicity. None of these things should be compromised to appease those who commit these acts.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I think it's selfish of parents to knowingly put their kid through a lifetime of inconvenience just because they're attached to an obscure name.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IQvc.gif

Nope, can't see anything wrong with a girl named Kweeva.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm Irish. We lived in the US fro ten years when I was a kid. My sisters are named Uná and Aoife. Sometimes people struggled to pronounce their names, but they were never ridiculed. Even if they were, fuck that as a reason to stifle culture.

A loooootttttt of ignorance in this thread.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inappropriate joke

Fuck that. Come on, surely you understand that we can't celebrate diversity while prohibiting it because some people are bigots.

No. A child is named for what they represent to their parents, and then, they get the ability to pass on their experience a little bit when they may have children. It's more than a word, it's a statement. Removing the power of that statement because of what others may think removes the point.

Children are made fun of for things they can't control, their heritage, their parents, their ethnicity. None of these things should be compromised to appease those who commit these acts.
I'll keep that in mind for when I name my next son Gaylord Tickler Johnson.

Except it's not obscure, it's quite common actually.
Common in one region, surely. Not in most English-speaking countries and not on the internet.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Not what I'm saying. You're ignoring the reality of how these things work, I have lived with a unique name my entire life and was both bullied for it and have the constant conversation almost every single time I meet a new person. There is a reality here attached to giving your child an unusual name, one that is compounded if the name itself is very hard to pronounce outside of the native lands.

There are plenty of Irish names that aren't so hard to pronounce. The added issue here being the name has two pronunciations in Ireland on top of the abundance of issues it will cause the child in other places.

Also, personal preference, but "keeva" is not a nice sounding name.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could always compromise for it to be a middle name or for a middle name you'd like.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
So you let the idiots win?

People will be idiots, and trust me, if you don't have an unusual name, idiots who want to pick on you, especially in school, will find something. At least your name is yours, and you can own it, and use it as a point of pride in yourself and your parents for choosing something that meant something, rather than playing it safe for reasons.

Pretty much. My family name isn't pronounced like it's spelt in French (it is phonetical in Alsatian, a minority language from another region, though, which should make it similar to the name the OP is talking about).

Kids where I grew up often referred to each other using their family names... And guess what? They always pronounced mine correctly once they knew how to do it (in fact they mocked the teachers who got it wrong rather than mocking me). I got shit for lots of other things, but not for my name.

Trying to remove every possible source of bullying is a fool's errand, and you shouldn't stamp out your own culture for something that might not even happen.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. My family name isn't pronounced like it's spelt in French (it is phonetical in Alsatian, a minority language from another region, though, which should make it similar to the name the OP is talking about).

Kids where I grew up often referred to each other using their family names... And guess what? They always pronounced mine correctly once they knew how to do it (in fact they mocked the teachers who got it wrong rather than mocking me). I got shit for lots of other things, but not for my name.

Trying to remove every possible source of bullying is a fool's errand, and you shouldn't stamp out your own culture for something that might not even happen.

It's not the father's culture (OP, is that correct?) This is not the precisely same hting as a child being given a name native to the place they are born and facing intolerance.

The father doesn't like the name anyway, so they should compromise.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Not what I'm saying. You're ignoring the reality of how these things work, I have lived with a unique name my entire life and was both bullied for it and have the constant conversation almost every single time I meet a new person. There is a reality here attached to giving your child an unusual name, one that is compounded if the name itself is very hard to pronounce outside of the native lands.

There are plenty of Irish names that aren't so hard to pronounce. The added issue here being the name has two pronunciations in Ireland on top of the abundance of issues it will cause the child in other places.

Also, personal preference, but "keeva" is not a nice sounding name.
But it's still your name right? Do you want to change it?

After all people do have that right.

Having a name to appease others is frankly the antithesis of what naming your child should be, and this comes from experience of running the gauntlet of naming our 2 children. Frankly I don't want any more because I'm out of names me and my partner can agree on!

If I had to then worry about other people? I'd not have named them yet and one of them is nearly 3.

They don't have "unusual" names yet one of them will still get spelling checks *and* questions about variations etc. But it's a name both me and my partner felt suited and we can't think of better.

Ironically we went for a "safe" middle name in this case and now we both regret it, so there you go.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But it's still your name right? Do you want to change it?

After all people do have that right.

Having a name to appease others is frankly the antithesis of what naming your child should be, and this comes from experience of running the gauntlet of naming our 2 children. Frankly I don't want any more because I'm out of names me and my partner can agree on!

If I had to then worry about other people? I'd not have named them yet and one of them is nearly 3.

They don't have "unusual" names yet one of them will still get spelling checks *and* questions about variations etc. But it's a name both me and my partner felt suited and we can't think of better.

Ironically we went for a "safe" middle name in this case and now we both regret it, so there you go.
I don't now, but my name is written as its said. It was also not part of my culture, it was just chosen to be unique, so my situation is slightly different.

I can assure you though that having a uqniue name is exhausting for a kid. This is something you have to consider, it's not something to brush off like you are.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the father's culture (OP, is that correct?) This is not the precisely same hting as a child being given a name native to the place they are born and facing intolerance.

Um, what?

She is very keen on the Irish name Caoimhe. It's actually a lovely name

What part of that statement is saying they don't *like* the name?

OP
OP

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm Irish. We lived in the US fro ten years when I was a kid. My sisters are named Uná and Aoife. Sometimes people struggled to pronounce their names, but they were never ridiculed. Even if they were, fuck that as a reason to stifle culture.

A loooootttttt of ignorance in this thread.

Aoife is a lovely name, and a possible contender.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I am actually getting more angry the longer I think about this.

How many posters in this thread didn't know of the Irish language before posting in this thread?

"LOL SOUNDS QUEEF BRO"

Fuck off.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a traditional name, and one that is rooted in your culture. We live in an age where people name their kids after cars, cartoons, fictional animals and brands. You're giving her a real, actual name.

And even if it's somewhat exotic, it's not more exotic than a name a chinese or turkish or congolese or mongolian or vietnamese family who lived in your town could and should give to their kid. You don't have to name your kids something simple because people may struggle with it. Having the decency of learning how to pronounce someone's name, even if it's not Sam or John or your bog standard english name is basic civility. Go for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Localised versions of names are ridiculously common all around the world.
We're specifically talking about doing it to Irish names, which myself and a few others have explained why that's a problem throughout the thread.
I'll keep that in mind for when I name my next son Gaylord Tickler Johnson.

Common in one region, surely. Not in most English-speaking countries and not on the internet.
That name isn't even comparable to what we're talking about which is a fairly common Irish/Scottish name.

OP says that he does like the name, it's just this pronunciation issue he's brought up about it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We're specifically talking about doing it to Irish names, which myself and a few others have explained why that's a problem throughout the thread.

That name isn't even comparable to what we're talking about which is a fairly common Irish/Scottish name.

OP says that he does like the name, it's just this pronunciation issue he's brought up about it.
OP doesn't like it for his child for this reason, that's my point. Maybe they will change their mind.

Aoife is a lovely name, and a possible contender.
Are you Irish too, OP? Sorry if you stated this clearly...

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The thread existing? A person can like a name but not like it for their child.
That is massively different.

There's lots of names I like, but didn't find right for my children. That's a different argument, but it's wrong just to say the OP just dislikes the name full stop.

And yes, I saw that pre edit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That is massively different.

There's lots of names I like, but didn't find right for my children. That's a different argument, but it's wrong just to say the OP just dislikes the name full stop.

And yes, I saw that pre edit.
Why are you trying to get me in a gotcha? Stop with the weird aggression please, I edited for clarity.

If the child was being raised in Ireland, no issue. Simple fact: she will not be, and a name like this WILL cause her issues. I lived through it: ie: having a name from another culture that was "weird" to everyone.

Ignore that if you want.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

OP doesn't like it for his child for this reason, that's my point. Maybe they will change their mind.

Are you Irish too, OP? Sorry if you stated this clearly...

I'm Scottish but of Irish heritage on my fathers side (my great-grandad was Irish), my mother is a native Scots gaelic speaker.

I like the name pronounced as Keeva (as the wife pronounces it), I'm not a fan of Kweeva. The more I think about it that's the main part of my issue with it, not so much the spelling. I like Aoife which has similar spelling issues but it has a consistent native pronunciation. I think Aoife is abit more practical because it doesn't have the V sound which is probably the most incongruent thing about Caoimhe to English speakers.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Fair points all round and it depends on how much of a red line it is to the OPs partner.

I just take exception to those calling this a unique name as if it's something made up like Queeg or something. It isn't. It's a traditional name and one with clear connection to the OP's partner.

It's all too easy to say to tell them not to use it, but the reasons given frankly a bit eh. Especially as the OP admits they actually think the name is nice!

Not sure how far back the name Queeg goes, but I have to assume it predates the Caine Mutiny (1951). A bit of a search shows that variants including McQueeg (as a surname - though the form suggests a patronymic) originated in Scotland and, travelled through Ireland around 1791-1792, eventually ending up in Canada.

I can't argue too much, as we've saddled at least two of our children with names they'll have to spell out to people throughout their lives unless they move to Wales, but it's not fair to name a child without a thought for how or whether that name will impact them later in life.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

It is the mother's though, so it's not like they're just choosing some random foreign name for kicks and giggles.

And I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I would personally take practicality into account. If I ever get kids I'd want them to have at least one of their names that reflect my heritage, but I'd choose one that's not too hard for locals – and of course I'd choose it together with my partner.

The post you quoted was purely about the argument that you shouldn't give your kid 'unusual' names (read: any non-white sounding Anglo name) because of potential bullying, which I believe is entirely the wrong way to look at it.

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you trying to get me in a gotcha? Stop with the weird aggression please, I edited for clarity.

If the child was being raised in Ireland, no issue. Simple fact: she will not be, and a name like this WILL cause her issues. I lived through it: ie: having a name from another culture that was "weird" to everyone.

Ignore that if you want.
The child will be raised in Scotland though where the name is still fairly common.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Scottish but of Irish heritage on my fathers side (my great-grandad was Irish), my mother is a native Scots gaelic speaker.
Thanks for clarifying.

As I said above, if you were raising the kid in Ireland I would personally say no issue. They will grow in an environment that won't make their name exhausting.

Being outside of it, it will cause this issue. I lived through it and it wasn't fun.

of course, now I'm an adult I'm fine with it, but it was hard at times. Bullying, constant conversations. It's something to be aware of as a parent. If it bothers you, it should be something your wife listens to imo.

If you're cool with it, 100% go for it. If you support your child as good parents, it won't matter eventually.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not common in Scotland at all, and certainly not where the OP lives.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It is the mother's though, so it's not like they're just choosing some random foreign name for kicks and giggles.

And I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I would personally take practicality into account. If I ever get kids I'd want them to have at least one of their names that reflect my heritage, but I'd choose one that's not too hard for locals – and of course I'd choose it together with my partner.

The post you quoted was purely about the argument that you shouldn't give your kid 'unusual' names (read: any non-white sounding Anglo names) because of potential bullying, which I believe is entirely the wrong way to look at it.
It's the reality of giving a name that isn't common in the place you are actually raising the child. Not just uncommon, but hard to prnounce in English which will be the primary language used most likely.

As I said, I lived through that... but...

The child will be raised in Scotland though where the name is still fairly common.

Not sure what top believe here, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Again:

2018: Ranked 213 out of 1525.
2017: Ranked 229 out of 1537.
2016: Ranked 191 out of 1584.
2015: Ranked 156 out of 1584.
2014: Ranked 205 out of 1534.

It's not as common as it is in Ireland, but it is a common name in Scotland which even a little bit of research reveals. It's more common than the incredibly unique names 'Taylor' and 'Joe'.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't half of kids these days have unusual or different names? At least it seems that way in My Son's school..

I think Caoimhe is a beautiful name and your daughter will cherish it. 10 minutes in her presence one you name her will convince you that the very idea of calling her something else was preposterous.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when people come into topics like this and insist that someone should give up their heritage in an attempt to give their children a more convenient life. Fuck that. As a society we need to get better at learning about others, not roll over and appease ignorant folk.

With that said, your daughter will most likely face difficulty because of the way the name is spelled and how it's pronounced. That doesn't have to be a bad thing. It might even make her more sympathetic and understanding towards people from different backgrounds.

If it means a lot to you and your wife, then you should definitely go for it. Don't listen to the people telling you that you're burdening your daughter. They can fuck off with that.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Ignore that if you want.
You are aware most "English" names come from other cultures right?

My partner has a name variation is commonly associated with Greece and a trip to Crete was the only time her name was spelled correctly unprompted. My name is English and our children's are common ish names but come from Greece and funnily enough, Irish.

They aren't seen as weird, the only difference is that they don't need to be told how they're pronounced.

If the OP's partner sees that as a name with a personal attachment and meaning, asking to compromise with a name that's "easier" yet not have that attachment is wrong.

It's incumbent on the OP to find a name that not only works for them, but can at least match the meaning on their end, rather than compromising for reasons of practicality only.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You are aware most "English" names come from other cultures right?

My partner has a name variation is commonly associated with Greece and a trip to Crete was the only time her name was spelled correctly unprompted. My name is English and our children's are common ish names but come from Greece and funnily enough, Irish.

They aren't seen as weird, the only difference is that they don't need to be told how they're pronounced.

If the OP's partner sees that as a name with a personal attachment and meaning, asking to compromise with a name that's "easier" yet not have that attachment is wrong.

It's incumbent on the OP to find a name that not only works for them, but can at least match the meaning on their end, rather than compromising for reasons of practicality only.
Honestly? Stop it.

I have explained my position, including the actual experiences I fucking lived that you are constantly denying.

I hate it when people come into topics like this and insist that someone should give up their heritage in an attempt to give their children a more convenient life. Fuck that. As a society we need to get better at learning about others, not roll over and appease ignorant folk.

With that said, your daughter will most likely face difficulty because of the way the name is spelled and how it's pronounced. If it means a lot to you and your wife, then you should definitely go for it. Don't listen to the people telling you that you're burdening your daughter. They can fuck off with that.
It's not the father's heritage.

And you're ignoring the experiences of people who have lived with names like this. "fuck off with that" is dismissive of reality. Raising concerns is fine here, especially from those of us who have lived through this.

Don't half of kids these days have unusual or different names? At least it seems that way in My Son's school..

I think Caoimhe is a beautiful name and your daughter will cherish it. 10 minutes in her presence one you name her will convince you that the very idea of calling her something else was preposterous.
That last sentence will be true of any name most likely.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how far back the name Queeg goes, but I have to assume it predates the Caine Mutiny (1951). A bit of a search shows that variants including McQueeg (as a surname - though the form suggests a patronymic) originated in Scotland and, travelled through Ireland around 1791-1792, eventually ending up in Canada.

I can't argue too much, as we've saddled at least two of our children with names they'll have to spell out to people throughout their lives unless they move to Wales, but it's not fair to name a child without a thought for how or whether that name will impact them later in life.
It was a Red Dwarf reference so I thought that they made it up. Clearly they didn't!

Oops.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Well said, thank you.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Stop it.

I have explained my position, including the actual experiences I fucking lived that you are constantly denying.

And you're ignoring the experiences of people who have lived with names like this. "fuck off with that" is dismissive of reality. Raising concerns is fine here, especially from those of us who have lived through this.

That last sentence will be true of any name most likely.
I'm not denying your experience for crying out loud.

I'm saying that the people who are wrong are the people who attack you for your name. They're the same sort of people who attack people because they're black, or gay, or disabled.

You don't accept intolerance of those who will attack you for shit like this. It's not something people should compromise upon because of idiots. Erasing the culture of people to fit in with their adoptive homelands is especially wrong.

The OP needs to come up with a better name, or accept their partners views, which is the most important view in this situation along with theirs.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't matter, if he feels strongly about it, it's still his decision.

I'm not ignoring it. I also grew up with a "weird" name. I've had it mispronounced. I've had to explain how to pronounce it. It didn't kill me. What it did do is educate more people and teach me to embrace diversity. I also feel like I've become more open towards learning about people from different backgrounds.

We as a society need to be embracing diversity, not appeasing the majority. If you want to give your children a convenient name, then that's well within your right, but never tell someone they're burdening their children with their heritage or beliefs. That's just shitty.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not denying your experience for crying out loud.

I'm saying that the people who are wrong are the people who attack you for your name. They're the same sort of people who attack people because they're black, or gay, or disabled.

You don't accept intolerance of those who will attack you for shit like this. It's not something people should compromise upon because of idiots. Erasing the culture of people to fit in with their adoptive homelands is especially wrong.

The OP needs to come up with a better name, or accept their partners views, which is the most important view in this situation along with theirs.
Yes, you are.

I don't accept those things, but I had no fucking control over then as a child growing up with this name.

Stop ignoring that reality.

Doesn't matter, if he feels strongly about it, it's still his decision.

I'm not ignoring it. I also grew up with a "weird" name. I've had it mispronounced. I've had to explain how to pronounce it. It didn't kill me. What it did do is educate more people and teach me to embrace diversity.

No, you like others are ignoring the reality of how kids and even adults are. It needs to be considered of as part of the process, telling those doing so to "fuck off" is bullshit.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
You're not being ridiculous OP. This will most certainly give your kid some headaches in the future - nothing too serious though.

My father has a unique name and he always, always need to spell his name and people still get it wrong. So he introduces himself using his surname now, it's way easier.

I think the name your wife choose is cute and beautiful, but it will definitely have this downside. If you still want to go through with it, giving her a middle name to rely on might be a good option.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're not being ridiculous OP.

It seems the name is fine in your country, but this will most certainly give your kid some headaches in the future.

My father has a unique name and he always, always need to spell his name and people still get it wrong. So he present himself using his surname now, it's way easier.

I think the name your wife choose is cute and beautiful, but it will definitely have this downside. If you still want to go through with it, giving her a middle name to rely on might be a good option.
Agreed.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
That one was a literary reference - Lieutenant Commander Philip Francis Queeg was a somewhat similar character.

Should have gone with Mr Flibble. :P
I've been out Dwarfed, should've seen that coming!

Yes, you are.

I don't accept those things, but I had no fucking control over then as a child growing up with this name.

Stop ignoring that reality.

No, you like others are ignoring the reality of how kids and even adults are. It needs to be considered of as part of the process, telling those doing so to "fuck off" is bullshit.
So what's your solution? What names are "acceptable" and not going to get potential abuse.

Because for every common name, there's a negative nickname or usage. Having a common name is just as abused as uncommon ones. In fact, those with common names have common insults. The solution you propose isn't a solution.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out Dwarfed, should've seen that coming!

So what's your solution? What names are "acceptable" and not going to get potential abuse.

Because for every common name, there's a negative nickname or usage. Having a common name is just as abused as uncommon ones. In fact, those with common names have common insults. The solution you propose isn't a solution.
I'm not here to solve the world's issues, I'm informing OP of my experiences being raised with a name from another culture that was not common in the culture I was raised.