• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If I have a high end PC - do I need an Xbox ?
(honest question)
For the most part nope. Xbox will likely be an improvement in hardware if your PC is older and is far more future proof than your PC, but the games are the same between the two. Just a question of where you like to game, why, and how easy it is to upgrade your system.

There are some console exclusive titles that come to PC later like Red Dead, but those can be procured on the PlayStation.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If you have the money buy the consoles you enjoy and play games where you want to play them.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Nah.. I have two pretty powerful desktops in my house, one with an i7 7700, 24GB of ram, and an RX480 8GB and the other with an i7 8700, 32GB of ram, and a GTX 1070 8GB. I don't really game on either of them lol. I just prefer consoles. I have One X, PS4 Pro, and Switch and have Series X and PS5 preordered.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
As a primarily PC player, buying consoles at launch is crazy. Sony got me with Bloodborne, last time, but not this time.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
You're only an idiot if you question yourself after buying something.

If the purchases you made doesn't affect your life in a bad way, then great. Just enjoy it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Nope, it's your money and you can spend it however you wish. If it makes you happy, go for it!

However, I do think it's redundant to have an XSX if you have a gaming capable PC unless you want those Xbox console only exclusives (Rare Replay, Halo 5, OG/360 games via BC) and/or comfy couch gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I am also an idiot, but the money I've saved from not having to commute since March has paid for most of the two consoles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Nope, it's your money and you can spend it however you wish. If it makes you happy, go for it!

However, I do think it's redundant to have an XSX if you have a gaming capable PC unless you want those Xbox console only exclusives (Rare Replay, Halo 5, OG/360 games via BC) and/or comfy couch gaming.
I have thoracic spine issues. Like not debilitating. You wouldn't be able to tell. But I can't really game for more than 2 hours on pc without feeling it. But I love pc for a quick game of valorant or doing taxes or writing an era thread or testing settings in a busted Avengers pc port

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This year has sucked. As long as you you're not putting yourself out, embellish Some fun a little bit.

d1amonddogs

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Hmm. I did preorder an S today, but now rethinking.
I have an alright PC I could upgrade & still have Gamepass. Series S is basically a 'Gamepass in the living room' scenario for me.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. You are wasting money on a series x with your setup. You got enough money to brag, so who cares.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Buying 2 consoles at launch is weird. I did it last gen with the Xbox One and PS4, and I felt remorse for awhile because I knew I really didn't need both. I just felt the need to have them.

And I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X preordered right now. Still feels weird.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't know why you'd have an Xbox. Is your PC not as powerful as a Series X?
I think it's a tad more powerful? I79700k/2080 super (ugh that 3080 came out jusssst a tad too late). But 4k gaming isn't something I can feasibly achieve at the frame rates I want to hit and the budget I have on pc. Monitors are not quite there yet.

I prefer couch gaming because I can stand up and play for extended periods and be in different positions.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well if you have the money then do whatever it is that makes you happy. But probably yeah, since all Xbox titles are coming to the PC maybe you should've gone for the Switch instead.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Buying 2 consoles at launch is weird. I did it last gen with the Xbox One and PS4, and I felt remorse for awhile because I knew I really didn't need both. I just felt the need to have them.

And I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X preordered right now. Still feels weird.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm feeling. I don't need them both and I probably won't get use out of each that much until 2021 (I'm only buying cyber punk and miles morales). But I'm also of the opinion that I'll eventually buy them both by April 2021 at full price so who cares when?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing you're going to benefit from by having an Xbox and PC. If it's on Xbox, it's either going to come to PC or already is.

Dec 20, 2017
Buying both consoles isnt weird, but you gain nothing with the Xbox if you've already got a pc. Unless you just want a console in another room or something and don't want to run a cord.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a tad more powerful? I79700k/2080 super (ugh that 3080 came out jusssst a tad too late). But 4k gaming isn't something I can feasibly achieve at the frame rates I want to hit and the budget I have on pc. Monitors are not quite there yet.

I prefer couch gaming because I can stand up and play for extended periods and be in different positions.
Right on I gotcha. Ain't nothing better than comfy couch gaming.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Why not just alternate Xbox / PlayStation every 3 years when they release upgraded consoles? That way you keep up with multiplat tech while catching up on exclusives

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
If you are then I am also an idiot. I have a gaming PC and gamibg laptop too. Rethinking the ps5 preorder though. I really don't like the size plus it will take a while to get the library up to snuff for me.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is exactly what I'm feeling. I don't need them both and I probably won't get use out of each that much until 2021 (I'm only buying cyber punk and miles morales). But I'm also of the opinion that I'll eventually buy them both by April 2021 at full price so who cares when?

There's something to be said about waiting sometimes, I guess. If I could just wait until next fall, I could buy the other console and it would be new and exciting again.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I held off on the Series X for the moment. New PC build and a PS5 will suffice for the short term. Once there's something I must have on XSX, I'll jump in.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
If you have the time to get some use out of them more power to you. I've played like 5 hours of Ghost of Tsushima over the course of 2 months. I'm waiting until there's something I actually want to play

Are you sure or are you just telling yourself you'll do that justify your hastiness? Why not let things play out? You're just filling console shaped holes in your head at the moment for no real reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to buy a sxs either I have a 2080ti but the hype got me. Got a ps5 and a sxs preorder both for launch date. Bring it!

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
No...I did it the current generation, but only ended up really playing my ps4. My group of friends have all agreed to push our playtime toward xbox next gen, but I will still end up with a ps5. After not using my xbox much this generation, I will be waiting a long time for an amazing black Friday deal though before I grab a ps5.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Personally I enjoy the console experience because of the plug and play aspect. First party games are also nice and games being optimized for those exact specs. I'll be dropping 1k+ come November and I have no regrets...yet

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
So, I'm dropping ~$1K plus taxes. I have both preorders locked in. It was exciting and thrilling to try and get a piece of hardware. But now that both are on my credit card, it's becoming real. I can make legitimate arguments. That, hey, over time, both purchases will pay for themselves. I've purchased most every notable Sony exclusive: R&C, Bloodborne, every Uncharted, every TLOU, God of War, FF7R, GoT, Horizon, and Spiderman. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I pretty much exclusively play Game Pass games now - recently fell in love with Yakuza. I play usually about like 2 hours a day between Xbox and PC, sometimes when I get more energetic I play much more, but I'm still way more tempered than when I was a kid. Part of that is the amount of content I have at my disposal at any given time. It's unreal.

I mostly want a PS5, despite it being my tertiary device, because I really liked Spiderman and Final Fantasy 7 remake. God of War was sensational (wanna play that in 4k) and I cannot believe they pulled that sequel off so quickly. Idk why I posted this. Probably because I wanted to convince myself I made a good decision, but yeah. I guess it's just weird that I can do this now. Never really thought if I should. I still think the value over time proposition makes sense. Like my ipad is a bad purchase day one, but by year 3 it's a pretty solid one. Same goes for my $1700 pc. It's value isn't there at the jump, but years down the road, absolutely. I'd probably buy it March 2021 anyway, at the same price after I receive my tax return, so why wait? There won't be any price changes until 2022 most likely. Eh, I'm hoping we get one more stimulus check, I'll be much more content if we did, but alas, even if not, I'm still within or over the budget I targeted at the start of 2020.

Are you using your stimulus cheques to buy video game consoles?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I was actually going to make this same exact thread

I'm in the same situation: highly capable PC + Steam Link for the living room, but I still preordered both the PS5 and XSX. For some dumb reason.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Nope, a few thousand for a hobby you enjoy is not much, at least for me. Got my 2080ti and ps5 and SX ordered.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could do that, more power to ya OP. I've never gotten a console at launch unless you count Oculus Quest. Was close to pulling the trigger on a PS5 pre order until assessing my finances more closely, plus those $70 games are a hard pill to swallow, plus I suck at Souls games :P

Will probably buy in once 2077 gets its next gen patch.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I have a RTX 3080, do I need a RTX 3060?

innocent_smile.jpeg

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only getting a PS5 at launch and have a capable enough PC so I think I'll be covered by that for a while. But I'll definitely be getting a Series X as well probably sometime within the next year or two if only for the conveinence of having game pass games in the home theater without having to game stream it. Also I still don't have a UHD player so the Series X will also fill that niche well, if a bit more expensively than the standalone players.

So to answer your question, it's your money so you don't have to justify it to anyone. And it sounds like you are decent at budgeting and aren't blowing money you don't have on something so you're fine. It's entertainment, and during a time where basically there's nothing else to really purchase/do and stress is at an all time high I'd say it's fine to treat yourself a bit provided you have security and stability.