• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
I basically do this with Pita Bread every time I go to Costco. It doesn't do anything to the bread and you aren't weird because of it. Toasting them on the pan right out of the freezer is great! ^.^

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. We buy two loaves of bread at Costco for the price of one at a regular grocery store - freeze one, put the other in the bread box. We only buy bread every two weeks.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Freezing bread is totally fine, but simply putting it in the refrigerator (non freezer section) is not. Seems like the myth of "it stays fresher" hasn't died yet, and many people are still doing that, when it actually makes the bread dry out and go stale faster.

Real talk: toasted PB&Js are underrated.

I actually really like toast with peanut butter or jelly, but not an entire sandwich that way. I'll just have it on non toasted bread instead.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Bread never lasts me long enough that I need to freeze it. I just...go to the store and buy a new loaf every week. I live in a shared house so clogging up the freezer with bread would be considered a dick move, and I feel no need to do it anyway.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I freeze mine and thaw what I need as I go, so my loaves just live in the freezer.

But I only ever buy one loaf at a time, or two if there is a buy one, get one deal.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
i'm a capable human and can slice my own bread

Very few people have the time to slice bread for each and every time they need a sandwich, toast, etc. Great that you have that time, but not so for the rest of us. Sliced bread is such an integral part of the modern human experience that it has its idiom.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I do this too because the humidity here makes the bread go bad faster than I can eat it.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have an apartment-style deep freeze in my basement devoted to bread. We go through a ton of it, it's just easier this way

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what kind of container does your un-sliced bread come in?
thin sheet of paper wrapped around it.

BeesBreadBig.jpg

along those lines

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
A guy I work with has a friend who works at a bakery. Sometimes he brings in boxes filled with loaves that are close to expiring. I usually grab a few and take them home me. The freezer is like 75% filled with bread.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My wife does this... it drives me insane.

She insists on getting white bread from a bakery in her small home town because "it tastes amazing"..

It's generic fucking white bread. It tastes the same as regular supermarket white bread. And once you freeze it.. its definitely worse that regular supermarket bread.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Sliced bread takes like 10 minutes to totally thaw, even less if you're toasting. I don't go through a whole loaf fast enough so of course I'm going to freeze it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I've lived on my own I never did this because I only ever needed to buy a single loaf at a time. But my family does this.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Very few people have the time to slice bread for each and every time they need a sandwich, toast, etc. Great that you have that time, but not so for the rest of us. Sliced bread is such an integral part of the modern human experience that it has its idiom.
Are you being serious? Sliced bread isn't a time thing, it's for convenience.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My family has done the same thing forever. Otherwise bread goes bad quickly.

You toast in the oven you want to eat it, that's it. Tastes perfectly fine.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm not sure how to really untangle time from convenience. One flows from the other.
It takes like 20 seconds to slice bread. Are you one of those people that likes to claim that they don't "have time" for anything because they're just soooo busy? lol

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's a perfectly normal thing to do. I don't do it much though, since I have a small freezer and live right next to a grocery store.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I end up getting 2-packs of sliced bread from CostCo and freeze the one bag. As long as you thaw it in under a month, it'll come out good as new.

Oct 26, 2017
Freezing food so it won't turn bad? Nope, not exactly weird.

In fact, I could swear that's the whole point of fridges.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I've never actually thought of freezing bread before, but it makes as much sense as freezing any other type of food. Doesn't seem that weird.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Read thread title as "Am I a weirdo for freezing my beard". Luckily, it said bread, which is not at all weird to freeze.

Beards tho? Yes, those are weird to freeze. I mean, why would you even?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
When we get the bread at Costco, which is most of the time, we freeze one bag and use the other. Keeps it unspoiled and it's a better deal than buying bread in a grocery store. No change in quality either.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy one loaf at a time unless there's some kind of BOGO deal, but the kind of bread I buy goes bad pretty quickly (doesn't have preservatives in it, I think) so I do have to freeze it if I want to make it through the whole loaf before it gets moldy. (I live alone, so there's no one to share it with.)

I never really did it before switching to this type of bread, because it wasn't necessary, we'd never done it at home growing up, and I didn't know freezing bread was a thing. Didn't learn that until I saw a roommate in college do it.