• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
My wife and I work in schools so as soon as schools got closed we have been locked up in our house. We only leave the house for a daily walk around the neighborhood and I have gone to the supermarket/walmart for food & supplies twice.

My sisters (one of which has a son) on the other hand are not being as careful as I. One of them is babysitting her friends kids while she works and has been out getting lunch and running errands. Today I found out that they both went to a birthday party for one of their friends and that she left her son with my parents.

My daughter has asthma so I'm trying to be very careful. I know my sisters are going to want to pass by at some point or drop off my nephew to play with our kids. Am I jerk for telling them "no" if it comes up?

Also, do you think my families approach is overreacting?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're supposed to quarantine. You are correct. Don't waver. For yours and their safety.
Protect your daughter and don't leave the house.

You cannot overreact to this virus, only under react.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My mother has COPD and had to tell my niece she couldn't babysit her son since she's self quarantining and my niece came back at her over it kind of insinuating that she was just using it as an excuse. Man...

Take it seriously.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Just make sure you communicate your decision properly. Just state that you would prefer being overly cautious instead of criticizing her behavior.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. You are in the right. I don't fuck around with anyone that isn't taking this shit seriously.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The right decision isn't always the "popular" decision.

You are making the right decision esp with your daughter

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): spreading dangerous misinformation
IMO, if this is going to go on for months and months, it may be best to get it before medical services get overrun. there's a good chance even after all this that you and your family are going to get it.

mod edit- post reverted to pre-edit text

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
My wife and I work in schools so as soon as schools got closed we have been locked up in our house. We only leave the house for a daily walk around the neighborhood and I have gone to the supermarket/walmart for food & supplies twice.

My sisters (one of which has a son) on the other hand are not being as careful as I. One of them is babysitting her friends kids while she works and has been out getting lunch and running errands. Today I found out that they both went to a birthday party for one of their friends and that she left her son with my parents.

My daughter has asthma so I'm trying to be very careful. I know my sisters are going to want to pass by at some point or drop off my nephew to play with our kids. Am I jerk for telling them "no" if it comes up?

At this stage, people should only be seeing people who live outside of their home if it's absolutely necessary.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
No you're not a jerk, and i completely agree with you, especially if i had a child with asthma.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
IMO, if this is going to go on for months and months, it may be best to get it before medical services get overrun. there's a good chance even after all this that you and your family are going to get it.
No. No no no. If everyone took this attitude, we are literally fucked as a society. Also, the next month might be the WORST time to get it, because efforts to get hospitals ready arent done yet.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
My daughter has asthma so I'm trying to be very careful.

In normal circumstances I would already tell you to not let them come over, but this only amplifies it. You are not a jerk.

Hopefully your extended family wises up before it is too late.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
No. Everyone should be keeping their germs to themselves. My niece and nephew have been off for a week, my poor sister is going up the walls. I asked my mom, a nurse who only started taking this seriously this week, said it's not a great idea. They help her out ALOT, and they said they won't be watching the kids for anytime soon either.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, if this is going to go on for months and months, it may be best to get it before medical services get overrun. there's a good chance even after all this that you and your family are going to get it. i think in about a month, we're going to see people wanting to get it so they can move on.
This is terrible advice.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Within the context of this situation you should do everything for your sister outside of exposing your family to a very real risk. give whatever money or support you can but do not expose your loved ones to danger. You accepted a responsibilty as a father and husband.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, if this is going to go on for months and months, it may be best to get it before medical services get overrun. there's a good chance even after all this that you and your family are going to get it. i think in about a month, we're going to see people wanting to get it so they can move on.
Ok.....well NOBODY listen to this at all!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be seen as a jerk, but you're still making the right choice for the right reasons. I have my own guilty conscience over social commitment though and I'm making the opposite choice because I'm spineless. Girlfriend and I have planned to go introduce me to her family for her birthday for months. It's coming up now and I feel like there's no way I can say no. But I still feel like it's a colossally bad idea. And if I can't put my foot down I can't be a dick about it either. All I can do is be upbeat and try to make a good impression and avoid interacting with anyone else on the (short) trip. On the one hand I see more people just going to the grocery store. On the other hand, I don't even feel like I can possibly risk going home to see my own family. Situation is less than ideal.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

source.gif

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017

They already are.Do you see the long lines and people waiting for hours for the drive thru testing?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
You've got to do what's best for your daughter, no matter what.

The only way I'd take someone in is if they've been staying in themselves for two weeks and haven't gotten sick, or if they've been tested negative and haven't gone out.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Confused on the last line. What has your family done that is over reacting? Sounds like you haven't told them no yet so there has been no reaction or over reaction.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

In a month of the whole world turning stupid, this might be the stupidest post I've seen. The OP clearly says the kid has asthma. Part of the most vulnerable population for a virus that causes respiratory issues.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd hope that your sisters would understand if you explained to them about your daughter having asthma.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
That virus is especially dangerous for people with respiratory issue, so if your daughter has asthma, you're definitely doing the right thing by protecting her and doing what you're doing.

I'm sure your sister will totally understand this, and even if she thinks you're overreacting, better safe than sorry.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im not visiting my mom for the next couple months. She lives alone and I will check on her by calling but you cant be over cautious in this environment.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Your family really should be understanding of the fact that your daughter has a precondition that could make a possible infection with the virus end deadly and that it is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the life of your child.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
You're not a dick for doing it but you might be one for not explaining it to them properly.

I'm saying this in support of you.

Explain to them your daughters condition. If they don't like it, well too bad.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You're supposed to quarantine. You're doing the right thing. Keep doing it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, protecting your daughter should be your first priority. They need to respect your decisions you make for your family.