• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
I remember when the anime came out and the fansubs would spell it Arucard. It was the most annoying thing and people defended it.

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
the worst part of people just learning this is that it means they haven't seen The Monster Squad.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Wait til you play Megaman X Command Mission :v
This one just made me facepalm. For those that don't know:
There's a character called Redips and a character named Spider. Because "Redips" is such an awkward, laboured-sounding name, you quickly piece together that something's up, and they are the same person. You might get the impression though that Spider was his real name, since that name doesn't sound as terrible or stupid, but no. Redips was his true identity after all. I hope the devs were proud of themselves for that one.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood how so many people didn't get that one. What else would it mean? A phoenix is down? What?

The English language is lacking here, should've grabbed the Dutch word for it called "Dons". Instead they literally translated the French word.. which well... haha.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood how so many people didn't get that one. What else would it mean? A phoenix is down? What?

A lot of items in FF were probably confusing to a lot of kids (Gold Needle, Echo Grass etc.) so they just rolled with whatever explanation their brain came up with

I think the common interpretation was that people read "Phoenix" as a verb. So they'd "Phoenix" a "downed" party member. A lot of people don't really know what down feathers are, and that they can simply be called "down".

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the anime came out and the fansubs would spell it Arucard. It was the most annoying thing and people defended it.

Really weird fact. So, for the official subtitled release, the licensor could NOT budge on spelling it as Arucard. In fact, this almost affected the dub. They eventually were able to compromise, so the dub could use Alucard, but they just couldn't budge on the subtitled version. I believe to this day, the subs (both for the TV series and OVA) have to use Arucard on the official releases.

It's really dumb, but if that's ultimately what the rights holder wants...

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
All I can think of after reading this title is the time when superbestfriends did a playthrough of Mega Man X command mission and genuinely got hit by the backwards name twist reveal and then couldnt stop laughing for not seeing it coming.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
"Zero Time Dilemma" is also an anagram.

DO NOT CLICK THE SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME.

"Me? I'm Zero. I'm Delta."