• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
So if you use Spotify on Windows with any regularity you might be aware that the native application isn't the most responsive thing. You may even chose to use the spotify webapp instead because it's a more pleasant (if limited) experience than using the native app.

However I've become aware recently that people have been decompiling the progressive web app and recompiling it as a Universal Windows App and putting it on the Windows App Store. This means that you get All the functionality of the progressive web app, but with the native User Interface of Windows 10.

XWwDKYR.jpg

Currently there are two different clients doing this, Spotimo and Xpotify. The reason I heard about it was Xpotify actually got taken down from the Windows Store because it run afoul of Spotify ToS about using similar product names - but Spotimo is still up and available in the Store. There is a github for Xpotify if you're into seeing how it works or compiling it yourself.

I've been using Spotimo for a few days now and really like it - it feels fast and responsive, it looks really nice and has a dark theme. I'll be interested to test Xpotify if/when it goes back onto the Windows Store, as I can't really be bothered compiling it myself.

Both clients have twitter accounts:

xpotify https://twitter.com/xpotify
spotimo https://twitter.com/Arlodottxt

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never had any problems with the Windows client but will look your solution up. Thanks OP :)

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Just wondering and please do correct me as to how this works but how comes signing it's safe to sign into these alternative versions of Spotify?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up! The biggest flaw in the native Spotify app to me is the limited sorting options when it comes to playlists; I've been super-angry for ages about not being able to select multiple playlists at once, and with my growing list it's starting to get painful. Do any of these alternatives allow that kind of basic organization functionality?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Can I connect to Google Home / Chromecast audio from the other applications?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose these add features not otherwise available on Windows, right? For example, Spotify on iOS has had the option to ignore an artist since forever (so that it doesn't appear in your automatically created playlists and doesn't get recommended to you in the new releases and such), but for some reason it never arrived on Android and Windows. I haven't got particularly big issues with the Windows app but I'd gladly make the change if such an alternative client turned in options from other versions.

OP
OP
Wintermute

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Can I connect to Google Home / Chromecast audio from the other applications?

it's similar to the other spotify apps in that you need to connect to chromecast via the phone app first, but then you can control it via the windows app.

lbxLdl6.png

honestly, we've been begging spotify on their forums for years just to let us connect to chromecasts directly from the windows app, and they continue to mark the idea as rejected.

I don't suppose these add features not otherwise available on Windows, right? For example, Spotify on iOS has had the option to ignore an artist since forever (so that it doesn't appear in your automatically created playlists and doesn't get recommended to you in the new releases and such), but for some reason it never arrived on Android and Windows. I haven't got particularly big issues with the Windows app but I'd gladly make the change if such an alternative client turned in options from other versions.

this is just a repackaging of the progressive web app, so it's not going to have anything you wouldn't get on play.spotify.com. i like it because i find it performs much better in terms of UI responsiveness etc, whilst still using native windows UI elements. also because the UI is more in keeping with the rest of Windows 10 and has dark/light themes and transparent elements. it looks good.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I miss Spotlite. Spotimo is nice if you like the Groove design. I think I'll stick with the official app for now.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Will check these out. Should've realized as there was the unofficial GPM desktop player there might have been other Spotify ones as well.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
it's similar to the other spotify apps in that you need to connect to chromecast via the phone app first, but then you can control it via the windows app.

lbxLdl6.png

honestly, we've been begging spotify on their forums for years just to let us connect to chromecasts directly from the windows app, and they continue to mark the idea as rejected.

Yeah, I hate having to use my phone when Im on PC. I wonder if it is a limitation that Google imposes?