• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

The Oatly Milk Controversy, Explained

After a firm with ties to deforestation invested in the Swedish oat milk company last month, fans are calling for a boycott.

In mid July, however, Oatly earned a valuation of $2 billion after a $200 million investment from Blackstone Growth, per Bloomberg. Blackstone's major investment alongside its alleged ties to deforestation in the Amazon are now at the center of the current controversy.

As Young wrote in the caption, Blackstone has investments in Hidrovias do Brazil and Pátria Investimentos, two firms that "are directly contributing to the destruction of the Amazon rainforest."

Per a report from the Intercept last August, the Brazilian firms Young mentioned "are significantly responsible for the ongoing destruction of the Amazon rainforest," as they have taken control of land, deforested it, and helped build a "controversial" highway "to facilitate the cultivation and export of grain and soybeans."

While Oatly's intentions may be good, the situation highlights the challenges in "ethical" and conscious shopping.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. That's true no matter what product you buy. Still, you can make less-awful choices, and I'd say Oatly probably checks that box despite this investment.

OP
OP
TarpitCarnivore
Oct 25, 2017
Still, you can make less-awful choices, and I'd say Oatly probably checks that box despite this investment.

So this is very much like when Blue Bottle sold to Nestle

You can't in one breath advocate sustainability and then take money from companies who are responsible for some of the worst impacts on the earth. It's ethically wrong

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That is depressing to hear. I stopped drinking most of those milks because they add canola oil. Oat milk is really easy to make in a blender mixing oats and water (maybe some vanilla extract). You don't even have to soak. It's also much better on your wallet.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Planet Oat tastes way better. Oatly is just overpriced for no reason.
Planet Oat's containers aren't the same size. They're fairly significantly smaller, but just close enough to a 2 quart size that a person might not realize it until they have it next to a bigger carton.

(Also everyone in my household thinks Oatly is the best, so we always go for it if it's available. So this news kinda sucks for us.)

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The allure of capital and growth is too strong. Every company wants to be a billion dollar unicorn nowadays.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Can Oatly reverse the investment if I promise to stock up on their barista blend for home cortados?

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
So that's why my local organic store had pallets of the stuff reduced to £1.50 per carton and it seemingly wasn't moving.

I almost picked up some of the chocolate version, which tastes like heaven.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I'm out. I buy their stuff every week, but I'll go elsewhere now.

It sucks because I don't think there's any other alternative (in the UK) for the Barista Edition.

Looks like Alpro do one, but it's like twice the price of the regular...

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I went and tried asdas long life oat milk and found my alternative not too long ago after changing from oatly so thatnk god i did plus its only 95p instead of that overpriced drink

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Welp, I'm out. I buy their stuff every week, but I'll go elsewhere now.

It sucks because I don't think there's any other alternative (in the UK) for the Barista Edition.

Looks like Alpro do one, but it's like twice the price of the regular...
Alpro is danone group, I'm unaware of anything in particular, but I'm fairly sure they are worse as a global company compared to oatly just by using plastic etc.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oatly always corny

I heard this was good but maybe US only? I dunno in Germany I like all of the oat milks (except the cheapest ones that are like oat dust + water). But Spelt milk is better.

r3wVXIF.jpg

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Ah shit.

I tried making my own but I haven't got the recipe right and it makes me gag.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Well for me it's either this or back to cows milk so i guess I'm still buying oatly /shrug

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Literally went to target to buy oatly today but they were sold out. They taste the best out of the ones I've tried

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I went and tried asdas long life oat milk and found my alternative not too long ago after changing from oatly so thatnk god i did plus its only 95p instead of that overpriced drink

Asda's long life oat milk is the best, I've tried seemingly every one in the UK but none beat it on taste and price.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to buy whatever is on sale and is about 3 bucks. Get the most value from Silk oat milk but I ain't choosey just as long as there carbs isn't too much.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who admins in Vegan groups seen this story 100's of times this week; Danone as pointed out have their hands in Alpro and Tyson in Beyond meat. Unfortunately if these brands attract investors companies we don't agree with are going to invest, especially with the speed these markets are increasing.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Started making my own oat milk a few weeks ago and don't think I'll ever buy another carton of oat milk again. Too easy and cheap as chips to do it yourself!

SPEA

Oct 29, 2017
Oatly always corny

I heard this was good but maybe US only? I dunno in Germany I like all of the oat milks (except the cheapest ones that are like oat dust + water). But Spelt milk is better.

r3wVXIF.jpg

I like Chobani's plain alot. It may be alittle too thick for some people, but I enjoy the taste the most out of all the other brands.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
They could always kick Blackstone out once they get a better investment partner like Chobani did with TPG.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So that's it for Oatly for me I guess. I've been drinking Fairlife anyway due to it having more protein. Milk doesn't have to be vegan for me to drink it, but I do appreciate what it's going for. Seems like people in this thread like Planet Oats, so I'll see what they're about.