• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the way through Season 2. I think I dig it overall but I kinda hate how the "cyberpunk" aspects of it have been toned tone and replaced with a more standard sci-fi aesthetic. Also, I think Anthony Mackie plays Takeshi Kovacs more accurately with Will Yun Lee than Joel Kinnaman did. But I guess Kinnaman's is to supposed to reflect a more thuggish persona of Takeshi before he was stored.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the show and i'm liking it as much as the first season. I hope we get another season after this one.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I think I dig it overall but I kinda hate how the "cyberpunk" aspects of it have been toned tone and replaced with a more standard sci-fi aesthetic.

That's being pretty faithful to the original books, only Altered Carbon was particularly cyberpunk. Woken Furies (the skipped second book) is heavy military sci-fi with some thriller DNA, Broken Angels (the second season) is sci-fi action thriller with a little more focus on the transhumanism.

They haven't announced plot yet, but I'm hoping the Altered Carbon anime that Netflix announced a few weeks ago will be the skipped second book.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Binge watched it.
I absolutely loved this season, the mystery was better, the story was better, characters were written better, everything really.

First season had cool visuals but the story was kind of silly in terms of execution, and eventhough I like Kinnaman, I thought he sucked as Kovacs. But most of all it seemed like first season was trying way too hard to be philosophical and trying to beat the same notes again and again so much so that it became repetitive at times.

This season everything is more balanced.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I did that twice. Got to episode 7 or 8 before the big reveal and stopped. Third time was the charm. I missed last week at work cause I was sick and finished it over two days knowing the second season was coming. Excited to see what Anthony Mackie can do cause he's awesome but....

FUCK THE FREE WORLD! PAPA DOC'S A BUSTA!

Cool wasn't aware of that. Definitely makes me more interested to check out the end of season 1. Thanks.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
First two episodes were pretty boring. Seems a lot more muted than I remember the first season being but it's been a while since I watched it. Don't think the action scenes are that great so far.
I'm sure Space Marines playing hot potato with a gun was meant to be cool but it just came across as pretty dumb.

Glad it's only 8 episodes, the first season really dragged in the later half.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
83% for S2 and there's was a major recast? Wonder if it was Kinnaman that was bogging down the show then.

was waiting for something like this. Will start it all soon

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
83% for S2 and there's was a major recast? Wonder if it was Kinnaman that was bogging down the show then.

was waiting for something like this. Will start it all soon

Rotten Tomatoes is absolute trash for TV, especially as for most series critics' reviews are only of whatever episodes they were given for review (though in this case I believe they were actually given the entire 8 episodes). So many shows go downhill after the review episodes but still have ridiculously high RT scores because they don't revise their review for the entire season.

Is the nudity as gratiutous in s2 as it was in s1?

Sadly not, the season as a whole felt quite sanitised compared to S1 :\

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Found myself 5 episodes in at 2am this morning lol

Gripped me much more than S1, which I had 3 attempts to watch before getting through it. Agree on it losing some visual identity over S1, and that Anthony Mackie is making a good fist of Kovacs' new sleeve.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
episode 3 so far and i appreciate how so far there is no boring side plot like the crap with lizzy in the first season.. acting feels less wooden, maybe that's also because the writing is a little better than season 1. visually it looks amazing though it seems like they reused a lot of sets. harlan's world pretty much looks exactly like bay city on earth. i'm also disappointed by how sanitized the show became, they really toned down the nudity and edge. it still feels too much like a cw show and also i'm not buying the relationship between quell & kovac. the chemistry is just not there. i'm still getting enjoyment out of the show so i won't complain too much.

kinda sucks how there doesn't seem to be much talk about season 2 anywhere. hopefully this won't be the last season.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Got through the first episode just now. I've been waiting a long while for the new seasons, and just a few terms are throwing me off. I can't remember what a DHS is or what it's called. Or what songbird trees does. And what was up with the Elders. So this is 30 years after the first season. It sounds like there's been a war in between and I assume that's what is the second novel?

I'm gonna binge this season this weekend.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Got through the first episode just now. I've been waiting a long while for the new seasons, and just a few terms are throwing me off. I can't remember what a DHS is or what it's called. Or what songbird trees does. And what was up with the Elders. So this is 30 years after the first season. It sounds like there's been a war in between and I assume that's what is the second novel?

I'm gonna binge this season this weekend.

DHF - Digital Human Freight, the code in the stack that is the person. DHF backups are the backup copies in case your stack gets destroyed.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Blew through it all yesterday, but I'll have to re-watch the finale as it was getting late and I was in and out of sleep.

I thought it was a step down from S1. Everything seems toned down: the edge, the violence, the cyberpunk...ness, the action. It felt very sanitized, and it was pretty clear that the budget wasn't as high as last season. The biggest letdown for me were the visuals. S1 was a trip and the locations were a treat to look at, but too many scenes in S2 take place in normal looking buildings or the forest.

I'm also one of the rare folks who enjoyed Kinnaman's Kovacs, and Mackie just didn't grab me as much. Maybe it's because I enjoyed the "hard boiled detective" thing Kinnaman had going on more. The supporting cast this season was also a step down for me. Elliot, Ortega, and even Bancroft did it for me much more than Carerra, Missick (although she was a bright spot in S2), and Harlan.

Will still check out the anime - and will watch a season 3 if it gets made - but I was disappointed as a fan of cyberpunk trappings.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
barely two pages of discussion so far, don't see much talk on other forums or on twitter about the show either
i worry we might not get a season 3

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Show looks cheap this season. Seems very clear to me they slashed the budget. Shame, as the visuals were what kept me going through much of the first season.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
All I remember from the first season was being horribly ill with the flu while I watched it, which is a shame because I read the original book as a teen and really enjoyed it. It was very polished visually and not much else. Had no idea it was even renewed for a second season.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Show looks cheap this season. Seems very clear to me they slashed the budget. Shame, as the visuals were what kept me going through much of the first season.

I'm kinda noticing this too after the first two episodes. Almost all of the show so far taking place in really small usually dark spaces, feels quite cramped like the sets of a small budget TV show.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yah this is about as aggressively mediocre as S1. I'll prob begrudgingly finish it as my partner seems invested in the story for reasons I can't ascertain.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
In hindsight Ortega's scenes provided a valuable PoV for expanding the world. So far S2 following Kovacs only restricts it to dark alleys and dingy clubs.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Made it through 3 episodes yesterday and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I liked season 1 for what it was, was hoping season 2 could step it up, but I don't like the direction they took.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The final episodes of S1 were some of the shlockiest thing on the whole Netflix, so I am not even touching this after the impression I am seeing.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Finished S2 and the story gets fairly predictable at the end. I thought the actors did a good job and were likable but the story wasnt as interesting as the last. Wish they had kept more of the scifi and schlock.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Need Broken Angels.

Just finished, it's...a little disappointing I guess. But still enjoyable.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Blew through it all yesterday, but I'll have to re-watch the finale as it was getting late and I was in and out of sleep.

I thought it was a step down from S1. Everything seems toned down: the edge, the violence, the cyberpunk...ness, the action. It felt very sanitized, and it was pretty clear that the budget wasn't as high as last season. The biggest letdown for me were the visuals. S1 was a trip and the locations were a treat to look at, but too many scenes in S2 take place in normal looking buildings or the forest.

I'm also one of the rare folks who enjoyed Kinnaman's Kovacs, and Mackie just didn't grab me as much. Maybe it's because I enjoyed the "hard boiled detective" thing Kinnaman had going on more. The supporting cast this season was also a step down for me. Elliot, Ortega, and even Bancroft did it for me much more than Carerra, Missick (although she was a bright spot in S2), and Harlan.

Will still check out the anime - and will watch a season 3 if it gets made - but I was disappointed as a fan of cyberpunk trappings.
I've just started the season and honestly I agree with this so far. The visual identity has been dropped and it feels like I'm watching a CW show with an above average plot

Oct 28, 2017
Has the fight choreography always been so awful? I finished episode 2 and every move in the bar fight was nearly out of frame and the camera would cut to a different angle constantly. Not one move flowed into the next.

Most of the time this nonsense is used to hide the fact your actors arent skilled in fight choreography or you simply dont have time to waste for them to get it right. I'll have to rewatch S1 to see if I notice it again.

Also, the fight where they
pass the gun around was dumb.
I'm sure whoever scripted it thought it would be cool but it didnt turn out that way.

The rest is hard to judge but Mackie just needs more to work with. Let's see if episode 3 improves things.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
so wait, the circle is literally a circular room they send people to fight? thats the big bad scary punishment? even the face stuff doesnt seem like it would be effective in a society where people live forever and change faces whenever they want. these people have like no imagination

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
so wait, the circle is literally a circular room they send people to fight? thats the big bad scary punishment? even the face stuff doesnt seem like it would be effective in a society where people live forever and change faces whenever they want. these people have like no imagination

It's more that you're drugged so you believe the faces (and the scripts they mentioned they were given to recite) are the real deal so it's emotional torture. It's really just spectacle for the populace anyway.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

As Noodle said,
Your memories are datamined for the images and personalities of the people you love and then you're drugged out of your mind so you can't tell the difference between reality and fiction. You are then sent in to fight to the death with your opponents seeming like they are your loved ones.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, but its not much of a spectacle really. Compare it to the torture scene in season 1 for example