• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
How big is the Ranma 1/2 fandom now, though?

Takahashi's last series (at least the last one I remember), Rinne, barely seemed to make a blip. And I'd think by modern standards a lot of the humor in Ranma would be questionable at best. I mean I will always love it but I recognize that it might be more than a bit dated by now.

On a side note, I'd be satisfied if they just licensed and released some of these older games on the virtual consoles of the world. I wouldn't mind playing Hard Battle again.
I mean she's riding off Inuyasha sequel. She doesn't need anything else.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Considering that the two Eternal films were just released recently and we have no word on how the fifth arc will adapted for the reboot that started in 2014, even if a new Sailor Moon game was announced, it would probably take 10 plus years or until the next big anniversary to be released. šŸ˜­

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its kinda odd and not odd at the same time that legacy/older anime/manga get abandoned once they stop either getting anime or manga. They are after money and if they dont have anything to promote the likelihood of getting a game or merchandise is low. Even though certain anime properties could get milked more to provide profit they dont. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and severe exceptions like Naruto and Dragonball. But overall licensed games are not really worth it for devs anymore since its better to put that investment into an existing/proven IP or something original. This is why when they do get a license its done on the cheap or re-using as much as possible.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Its kinda odd and not odd at the same time that legacy/older anime/manga get abandoned once they stop either getting anime or manga. They are after money and if they dont have anything to promote the likelihood of getting a game or merchandise is low. Even though certain anime properties could get milked more to provide profit they dont. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and severe exceptions like Naruto and Dragonball. But overall licensed games are not really worth it for devs anymore since its better to put that investment into an existing/proven IP or something original. This is why when they do get a license its done on the cheap or re-using as much as possible.

Game development takes so long that the popularity of something might wane long before you are even able to put it out, so in that sense I get why they either don't make games or make these cookie cutter bandai-namco type games.

Often, an anime is just a gateway drug to sell more merchandise or manga volumes, anyway.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Game development takes so long that the popularity of something might wane long before you are even able to put it out, so in that sense I get why they either don't make games or make these cookie cutter bandai-namco type games.

Often, an anime is just a gateway drug to sell more merchandise or manga volumes, anyway.
Yeah which always bothered me. Wait your not gonna finish adapting the manga to anime "Nah the manga is finished we don't have anymore manga volumes to sell". Even though they could still potentially market the franchise via other means like videogames, Live action adaptions, Stage Plays, general merchandise. Some stuff is pretty damn marketable too and it just gets abandoned.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah which always bothered me. Wait your not gonna finish adapting the manga to anime "Nah the manga is finished we don't have anymore manga volumes to sell". Even though they could still potentially market the franchise via other means like videogames, Live action adaptions, Stage Plays, general merchandise. Some stuff is pretty damn marketable too and it just gets abandoned.

It's a travesty what happened to Promised Neverland (though it's not like the manga ending was all that great anyway), though at least Kimetsu no Yaiba looks to be popular enough to sustain itself.

But I get they have to pick and choose because manpower and especially airing time is not unlimited.

Mar 9, 2018
I love how you're trying to gatekeep how to watch a show that you've already admitted to hating anyway.
Oh really, and why would you love that? Is that you, Usagi? Loving anything that moves, even if they didn't deserve it, like Queen Nehelenia? To be fair, she had a good look going with the big hair. Anyway, hate is a strong word. Life is grey.

My esteem for the series has decayed but if they were CREATIVE with it, I'd be down for something cool and new.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Don't want to start a flame war, but I'm just going to be polite and ask you to please watch it in the original Japanese. PLEASE! Dear god...

Anyway, it has good concepts, good aesthetics, but its storytelling and characters...way too much focus on Usagi, way too much focus on the nothingburger character named Mamoru, way too much and weird plotlines with Chibusa, repetitive cyclical plots. There is potential but I'd rather something like the live action, going in its own direction.

And do something different than remaking the Queen Beryl arc AGAIN.

The English dub is brilliant in it's awfulness, how dare you? There would be no Sailor Moon Abridged without it.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
At least Sailer Moon has had games. Where the hell is an Akira game. It's shocking how there was never an attempt to make a real 3D game based off this legendary IP.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

220px-Sailor_Moon_Another_Story_Cover.PNG

images

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah where the fuck is my Sailor Moon JRPG.

I feel like the "best" way to do a Sailor Moon game would almost be in the style of Persona, where you spend most of your time out of combat in school interacting with friends
oh man. Why did you put this idea in my head lol. They don't need to adapt the main story; they can write an original one.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Yeah where the fuck is my Sailor Moon JRPG.

oh man. Why did you put this idea in my head lol. They don't need to adapt the main story; they can write an original one.
Yeah I feel like they'd half to. Just say "it's a pocket canon" or something. Sailor Moon Videogame Timeline. Whatever lets them unshackle themselves from having to follow the plot beats of the main franchise.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You know, the arcade beat 'em up is one of the best of the genre (better than just about ANY other licensed one) and, as a result, it is 99% better than any other anime title. I'd be happy with a re-release.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Man, I wish I could play these old games some how. Like that other thread was saying, it's really difficult to get a hold of older games.

I'm not gonna hunt down an old snes and then hunt down these games.

If it's too expensive to make a new Sailor Moon game, then I'd take a remaster of that arcade beat'em up at the very least.

Can you imagine higher res sprites? I like that what new TMNT game is doing.

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Shredders-Revenge-700x300.jpg

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the mangaka doesnt want it to be on games anymore, there were some in the 90s with even fewer making stateside but SM never got a big game for some reason

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol

Let RGG studio loose on the IP like they did with Fist of the North Star I say.

Or a musou would work as well I guess.

Can't imagine anyone would want to fund such a game nowadays though, sadly.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I would be so down for a good SM game, wow.

I have no idea what kind of game it would be, but I'd be there day 1

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I want a proper modern fighting game badly, but Ryu ga Gotoku Studio would do a fantastic job!

Though if RGG tackles another retro anime franchise I rather it be Dirty Pair.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I somewhat enjoyed the Sailor Moon SNES beat them up game. I'd be down for something like that. Great games for couch co-op.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I would've been a very happy camper with a Sailor Moon Budokai trilogy in the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Rumor has it that the two Eternal films (which were just released in Japan in January and February) are going to be released on Netflix this year. Hopefully if they prove to be popular, it'll spark some interest in a potential video game.

An RPG similar to Another Story would be my dream.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
I want a Persona(3/4) style RPG for Sailor Moon on the Switch damnit!

Fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight.
26606006_200x130.png

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The arcade and Mega Drive/Genesis beat 'em ups are my favorites.

Super Famicom/SNES beat 'em ups are okay. The only thing they have over the Mega Drive/Genesis game is multiplayer.

I've wanted a Musou/Warriors game for a long time. I've suggested it in the past, too. Still hoping for one.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Might get a Precure game, maybe, but odds for a Sailor Moon game are pretty much zilch.

Honestly, best chance we had for a magical girl video game was Madoka Magica and I think the only thing that came from that was a PSP dungeon crawler and of course the mobile games.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I only ever played one of the 2D SNES beat-em-ups that never released in the US and a dating simulator (I think) in one of the old Sega multi-level arcades in Tokyo. I don't speak Japanese, but I think Sailor Venus had a good time on our date.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's beat-em-up revival time! Let's do it!

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
It's beat-em-up revival time! Let's do it!

Damn right it is!

The arcade and Mega Drive/Genesis beat 'em ups are my favorites.

Super Famicom/SNES beat 'em ups are okay. The only thing they have over the Mega Drive/Genesis game is multiplayer.

I've wanted a Musou/Warriors game for a long time. I've suggested it in the past, too. Still hoping for one.

I did a little bit of research regarding that Sailor Moon arcade game. It was published in Japan by Banpresto and SEGA for World Wide release.

It was developed by a Japanese company called Gazelle, which disbanded in 2002.

Some of its members moved to another company called CAVE, which people know for their shmups and bullet hell games.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
YuYu Hakusho is the worst offender. Such a great anime with a great potential... Yet no modern games were made

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, I remember that one. But hasn't Sailor Moon got a SNES game as well? Modern as in, maybe in the last 20 years?

Unless they remake Yu Yu Hakusho or something, I doubt you'll see more than what we have in stuff like Jump Force anytime soon.

edited to add: but the PS2 and GBA games (which came out in NA) came out in 2004, I guess.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The true travesty when it comes to stuff like YYH is that we got Jump Force instead of a FighterZ style game.