• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg
The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds_NA_cover.jpg

November 22, 2013 was fucking magical. Two of the best games of the decade and generation dropped on the same goddamn day.
Agreed. I remember that day very well.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
The defining moment for me was completing The Witness challenge.

That will never leave my memory.

Jesus, there was a commercial last night that had that song in it and I instantly had a flashback to this challenge and sat there thinking to myself "I'm not sure I've ever heard something on TV that triggered a video game moment like that just did."

I actually saved that video I felt so proud of beating it. Up there on my list of moments this decade. Also the revelation of environment puzzles was pretty mind blowing.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was performing the second Rite in Pyre. I was 15-0 up until that point.

The way that the Rites work is that the winning team gets to free one member of theirs from the purgatory that the game takes place in. So a kind of driving force to win all the matches is so that you can free all/most of your team from this afterlife. Every team in the game is unique, and has named characters.

One of the people on your team is a character named Pamitha. She has an estranged sister named Tamitha, who IS THE LEADER OF THE TEAM THAT I AM SET TO FACE IN RITE #2. Pamitha all but begs me to lose the match on purpose so that her estranged sister will be freed. Which is fine and all, but it means that (because the rites are limited), one of my characters isn't going home by the end of this game.

It was one of the toughest moral choices I had to make in a game, and it's not even a dialogue choice. You have to actually let the other team score a bunch. So I did,at the cost of Volfred's freedom and my undefeated record.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Beating ISS in Sekiro was probably the pinnacle of my decade. Possibly the greatest feeling I've ever had in video games period.
SSI is overall a legendary experience, but there was a particular moment during SSI that I cannot forget till now.

The sequence where SSI jumps back and tried to hit you with his spear at the same time, I reflectively saw and parried that strike without knowing it before. At that moment, I just felt like a legendary shinobi.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
start of ending E in Nier Automata
"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution"

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Since i'm a Sony guy

Sony E3 2016 - God of War reveal - The Last Guardian its alive !!

PSX 2016 - The Last of Us Part II reveal

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Moment #1:

RealDisfiguredCowbird-small.gif

The music. The journey. Having my companion next to me at the end making small chirps to each other. I think I was on the verge on tears when I finished the game.

Moment #1.2:

tenor.gif

Again, the music. The impact her acceptance of the lie. Her expression. Very few games had made me feel so conflicted once the credits started rolling.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
God of War (2018)

Everything leading up to getting the Blades of Chaos and then using them to wreak havoc

The Witcher 3

The reunion scene with Ciri. Made me wanna cry.

The Last of Us

The giraffes. Seemed so out of place but so beautiful. HM: The ending.

First time I beat the King's Fall raid in Destiny.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Hunting for that first chicken dinner when PUBG first came out. I played with the same group every evening for 3-4 weeks and when we finally got the win it felt so great. We then proceeded to win about 200 more games over the next couple years but the feeling of release and achievement after that first win won't be forgotten.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ending D in Nier springs to mind

Yeah, that was my first thought.

I'm not sure if I can consider this a moment, but getting to play Yakuza 6 multiple months before launch, in a time slot of my year where I had practically endless free time, as opposed to the proper launch window which was going to be kinda stressful to fit the game in.
Just feeling like I had all the time in the world to sit down with this game that I cared so much about, the conclusion to a story line that I was so invested in. I remember getting up early in the morning with a hot cup of coffee and a blanket on to dig in. Waking up early to play a dope game is a good feeling and I don't often get to do it. I think back on it and it's one of the warmest gaming memories of the decade.

Edit: I bought the game too, I didn't just free ride off the demo. Can't wait to buy it again on PC some day too.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised no one has mentioned Pokemon Go.

For a few weeks in the summer it didn't matter if you were super into video games or just a casual fan. EVERYONE was playing Pokemon Go. I was living in Boston at the time so getting around and exploring was super easy. I would walk toward a poke stop and see others on their phone. Friends and coworkers would exchange what they caught.

I once recaptured a gym and heard some dude on the other side of the street yell "NOOOOO YOU MYSTIC MOTHERFUCKER"

I fell off the game hard and don't care for it anymore but the cultural zeitgeist it had for that brief amount of time was INCREDIBLE.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
The final Campfire scene in FFXV. It's easily my favorite ending scene in *anything* and it's an incredible moment.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
beating orphan of kos and Lawrance for the first time on NG+7, took me about 8 hours each, I'll never forget that feeling in my life

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide on one. Here's a few:

Getting the Golden Potato in the Portal 2 ARG

Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate's hype train

Seeing gaming finally solidify its position in the mainstream (continuing on from the 2000s) along with finally getting a legit award ceremony that's almost all about praising games and not just a glorified two hours advertisement (i mean there's still a lot of ads, but we're getting there...)

Having my childhood gameboy dreams come true with the existence of the Nintendo Switch

The first several days of playing Breath of the Wild

The explosion of Indies

that Rock Paper Shotgun interview where Peter Molyneux was torn a new asshole

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Oh man, this is a hard one.

SPOILER: When I took control of Ellie in The Last of Us.

SPOILER: When I got the Blades of Chaos in God of War. WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT. I almost started crying.

Playing ALL OF Ori and the Blind Forest, specially the beginning.

But I guess as my fav MOMENT, it has to be one of the Rainbow Six: Siege match.... Ranked - it was 4-4 overtime and there was a double KO and went to 10th round. It was an over 90 minute match. We won in the end and the whole team was screaming and shouting out of joy.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
this is tough. the E3 of dreams was probably my favorite announcement moment.
NieR: Automata Ending B and Route C was my favorite game story moment.
Playing Breath of the Wild was my favorite overall gaming experience.
in terms of accomplishments getting the platinum in The Witness or speed running KH1, or platinuming KH2 on critical mode are all up there.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Not sure if its a recency bias sorta thing, but the ending of the Outer Wilds is going to stick with me for a long, long time.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only did I and many others laugh at this video. But it also had a lot of import in the industry. This video really made it clear that Xbox had made a huge mistake with the initial XB1 announcement. And this made me sad, healthy competition keeps everything going.

In the end it all worked out and the One was a great system that did some really great things for the industry.

But I'll never forget this damn video.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There are a ton of moments, and I played through a ton of games, however, the one that comes to mind was getting a Switch on launch day. You see unlike many of you, I was not immediately enamored with the Switch and felt no need to buy it at launch.

Yet that Friday in March approached and I started reading everyone's impressions at the old place. By the time 8 am rolled around, I decided I would go to Target and see if I could find one. I just happened to be off work that day. When I got there, it was about 15 mins from store opening and there were like 6 of us in line. By the time the doors opened, there were triple that number. By the time I checked out with my new Switch, they were telling new arrivals that they were sold out.

I downloaded Zelda, still a bit skeptical of spending $300 on this thing right away. But seeing the scale of it...I was in awe that a handheld system could do this. I played Zelda all day, I still think it's one of the best open world games ever made. I didn't see another Switch in stock for sale for the next 6 months in my area.

The Switch is now one of my most played systems as I travel a fair amount. It's everything the WiiU should have been and more.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Landing a ToD online in ArcSys netcode. I can't tell if that was more luck than skill.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing is all the mini consoles that were released. I sold all my gaming consoles growing up and regretted it, so I feel like I was able to rebuy them again.

Also, kind of personal to me, but I finally beat FFVII this year when it was ported to the Switch. It'd been hanging over my head since 1997.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
- Elevator to firelink shrine in Dark souls.

- Ludwig cutscene in BB.

- Loading up DMC5.

- Arslan Ash winning Evo.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The Gifs prior to the playstation 4 announcement.
Especially the mission impossible 2 one.
Hopefully things heats up soon.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Had a friend who was alone for Christmas day a couple years ago so brought beers round in the evening with a mate and played Halo 1 split screen all night like we use to do back in high school.

Couch multiplayer game nights playing Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn and Towerfall were a blast.

Also, finally clicking with Dark Souls after a dozen hours struggling through Undead Burg at a snail's pace, culminating with defeating Ornstein and Smough on the first attempt with no summons (totally fluked it).

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
shit man, there's so many.

When this plays, you think the game's about to end, but instead you get to enjoy for a few hours what you worked for the entire game. So fucking brilliant.

Witcher 3 had a lot of memorable quests, emotional moments, big fights yet the best moment from the game for me has to be this. Just a bunch of friends having a good time.

Uncharted 4... lots of great moments as well but I have a soft spot for the whole auction sequence - it's basically a gigantic heist mission, it has perfect amount of Sully, incredible presentation and I just love the general atmosphere here.

RDR 2. The mission where it all clicked together. Unforgettable, incredible music and energy.

Still RDR 2; the "That's the way it is" sequence. If you played the game, you know.

Finally, still RDR 2, a very specific moment:

"Yeah..... just me" as American Venom starts playing. Instant goosebumps.

Also shoutout to Ghost Recon Wildlands for providing the most laughters of any videogame ever playing coop. So many unintentionally hilarious situation, bugs, plans gone wrong. Sadly I can't exactly pinpoint any moment, but, yeah, lol.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Release of SC2 was very special to me.

I played almost exclusively Blizzard RTS from 1996 - 2010. (WC2, SC, WC3, And when SC2 launched later that year.. it was almost a religious thing..

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Probably discovering the <spoiler> puzzles in The Witness. My mind was seriously blown.

Other highlights would be seeing Ash Lake for the first time and playing Bloodborne on release night.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII Remake's reveal and Shenmue 3 back to back was absolutely wild and I don't think any E3 will top that for me

Also Cloud in Smash was so utterly bamboozling it was brilliant. Really set the stage for the "anything goes" nature of Smash Ultimate.

and this was magical:

In-game it'd have to be the opening hours of Breath of the Wild, the final campfire scene of FFXV, or Judgment's opening scenes

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing hype based effects me like that any more.

Probably the first dozen or so hours of Breath of the Wild would be my favorite 'moment'. I enjoyed all hundred or so hours, but the opening bits, and when you first jump off the plateau and run off to do.... anything. The world just seems so boundless and full of surprises. Gave me a feeling very few games do anymore.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Soooo manyyyy. Forgive me for not being able to pick. I am quite forgetful, so whatever I am mentioning was a great moment for me.

*TLOU introduction and ending.
*God of War reveal. And THAT moment in God of War.
*Witcher 3 (bloody baron, and the world in general)
*Project Beast
*Horizon Zero Dawn reveal. Robo T-Rex. Dream come true
*Dragon's Dogma combat
*Sekiro. The satisfaction is unparalleled.
*PS4- Used game instructional video
*Crash remastered
*RDR (1) ending
*SuperHot VR
*Launching from your batmobile in Arkham knight/ entering it (also the neon+rain was mesmerizing on next-gen)
*Uncharted 3 ship/plane/desert
*God of war 3: Beginning, titan, infinite punching of Zeus
* FUS RO DAH
*the simplicity and fun of DOOM
* Far cry 3 weed farm
* Destiny 1 (Shooting felt too good, and the world and lore potential was amazing) - raid
* GTA V- seamless switching between characters
* Portal 2 (moon)
* MGS V (the way snake controls and your equipment, my first mgs game)
* Dishonored blink+freeze-time
* Yakuza 0 turkey scene sold me on the game

That should cover it lol.