• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QU2nbvz.jpg

Paper Mario is a fantastic game that still holds up today. Great writing, charming characters, simple but satisfying combat, engrossing world to explore and stellar music.

That said, it is also a game that is almost twenty years old. It is a Nintendo 64 game that very much sports the signature low-resolution blurry look of the console's games.

40077-Paper_Mario_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es)-1490630132.jpg

I want that to look like this:

pmcs_03.jpg

Graphics are one reason to update the game. The other is to introduce the series (the proper games, that is) to a new audience who might only be familiar with the inferior more recent games of the franchise.

It's been long enough. The Switch is a massive success. It is time, Nintendo. Give us a Paper Mario remaster.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they don't have the original game too

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Nah, if they can't be bothered to make a good new RPG game why would i want an old one

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I want one but Paper Mario is probably the most ageless N64 game that exists.

Nov 1, 2017
I would love an update, but I prefer the popup book style of the original to the newer arts & crafts-come-to-life style of SS & CS.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should HDify the first two games rather than going in the Color Splash direction, which looks great, but not the same as the old games. TTYD looks pretty good on dolphin with the HD fan textures and Intelligent Systems could make it look far better than that.

But if they do that they better not touch the music

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hear ya, OP, and you have my vote, but Nintendo prolly gonna be like

giphy.gif

which sucks :(

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer a new game in the style of the first two games. Following that, I'd take a re-release of the first two games. I wouldn't need either to be upscaled or remastered. A virtual console style release would be fine for me. But a new game is preferred.

Oct 28, 2017
I want one but Paper Mario is probably the most ageless N64 game that exists.
It's the only N64 game I've played that truly stood the test of time completely. I was thoroughly impressed with it when I first played it on the Wii Virtual Console.

Hey Nintendo. Remember when you had a method of introducing your older games to new players on your latest console? Good times.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I for one think they should instead do a reimagining of the first game with the far superior and engaging mechanics of sticker star.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I still get the feeling that Nintendo intentionally tried to split the Mario and Luigi series from the Paper Mario series, with Paper Mario being more inventive and thus used for more experimental titles while Mario and Luigi are more straight up RPG.

Either style, I do hope Nintendo releases a new Mario RPG of some shape or form of switch sooner versus later.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I still get the feeling that Nintendo intentionally tried to split the Mario and Luigi series from the Paper Mario series, with Paper Mario being more inventive and thus used for more experimental titles while Mario and Luigi are more straight up RPG.

Either style, I do hope Nintendo releases a new Mario RPG of some shape or form of switch sooner versus later.
They did unfortunately then they ruined that series too.

berrypeachy

Jun 15, 2019
At the very least, I would love an HD Remaster. Nintendo normally doesn't do full-blown remakes of classic games, as awesome as that would be.

Although, I would absolutely prefer a new entry in the style of the first two. But sadly, that's a lost cause.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Nah, would rather have a new entry in the style of the first two. The first was excellent as is aside from an underwhelming climax which a remaster wouldn't change.

Sticker Star is beyond saving imo, but the one game in the series that could benefit from a remaster is Color Splash. Remove the mandatory gamepad and make the game focused around actual deck-building and I am sold.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It'd be cool to have a remaster, but I'd prefer if they kept the watercolor/pop-up book style of PM64 if they remastered it. I don't know why, but I'm not a huge fan of the Sticker Star and Color Splash artstyles.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The charming off beat character designs would probably be watered down to be generic NSMB-esque designs.

Just look at the sprite changes from the Mario and Luigi SSS remake.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
This is such an obvious, but justified opinion. And such an obvious opportunity for Nintendo to bolster their library.
A PM1 with tightened mechanics, a "Master Quest" mode and TTYD's improvements would be a dream come true!
As for TTYD, it needs to be fully uncut. Bring back the alcohol and various dialogue to make it more in line with Rogueport's darker tone.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Nah, played it as a kid and was really underwhelmed. Coming from TLotSS, which is one of my favorite games ever, Paper Mario didn't impress me at all. It is a decent but forgettable game.

TTYD is a much better game and the only Paper Mario that deserves a remaster.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I approve. If we aren't getting a good new Paper Mario game, at least remake the good ones.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I would be down for a a simple HD version of Paper Mario. There's so many games in their catalogue that deserve at least an HD re-release.