• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi, so I graduate uni (English Co-Op degree) in September if everything goes well, and aside from being a novelist, my dream job is to work in the gaming industry. Specifically I'd love to write for or at least design video games. However, my co-op terms at uni didn't give me any tips at all on how to get into the industry. I'm also in Toronto so aside from Ubisoft I'm not sure where I'd even go (and I'd like to stay away from Ubisoft for now after all those accusations of sexism).

So since I love this forum I'm hoping to get answers here. Does anyone know how to get into writing for video games?

(Not sure if I should've published this in EtcetEra, sorry if this is the wrong place.)

M8tthew

Aug 1, 2019
Simple answer: Make games. The jobs for pure writers are still relatively scarce and many studios will be after designers. If you are a designer with solid writing ability then you have an advantage. This needs to be demonstrated, though, and there's no better way to do that than through game creation. A wide range, they can be short, narrative based if you like, but vary the type. And if you're not confident with programming, then select software that suits. I'd recommend Construct 3 if you want to stay away from code, or GameMaker Studio 2 if you're happy with scripting. These don't need to be complex 3D games, 2D is fine, just show off your writing skills in the field you want to work in.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.

If this were for writing on games criticism i'd have where to point. But for actual writing, i suggest to at least follow Hannah Nicklin, who was a writer (or the writer? not sure) for Mutazione and is also currently CEO of the developer. IIRC she sometimes posts resources and job opportunities in game's writing.

You can also try to learn some tools, like Yarn Spinner (which should require some investment in learning Unity if you haven't already), or Twine which is iirc much more approachable for non technical users. Also one other thing you can do to get a good pulse on tools that might be easy for you to learn is keeping an eye on itch.io in general.

Also good luck!! I hope you make it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
you would likely need to make your own games first or have some sort of background in development. the only writers who get pure scouted for being writers are the known quantities.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanna add that Rockstar has a studio in the Toronto region as well.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, so I graduate uni (English Co-Op degree) in September if everything goes well, and aside from being a novelist, my dream job is to work in the gaming industry. Specifically I'd love to write for or at least design video games. However, my co-op terms at uni didn't give me any tips at all on how to get into the industry. I'm also in Toronto so aside from Ubisoft I'm not sure where I'd even go (and I'd like to stay away from Ubisoft for now after all those accusations of sexism).

So since I love this forum I'm hoping to get answers here. Does anyone know how to get into writing for video games?

(Not sure if I should've published this in EtcetEra, sorry if this is the wrong place.)
Did you take any classes in writing in various kinds of media? If so, you can start building a portfolio from school clips. I'd use the time between now and then to pursue more opportunities to expand that portfolio. Look for freelance opportunities to write for TTRPGs, etc. - anything you can do that might be game related. Get into a simple design platform like Twine or Inform and make small games. Doesn't matter what about - the point is to get used to piecing stories together and understanding the steps players take. If you're comfortable with coding more sophisticated things, then make more games, but I think starting with narrative-based games is a good way to flex that storytelling muscle. Finally, build a social media presence if you don't have one. Engage with games. Tell stories. I can think of two narrative pros off the top of my head who got opportunities simply from existing on Twitter and having interesting things to say about games and game stories.

I'm sure others might have more suggestions, but these are the things I have off the top of my head.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Browsing through some some listings at Bethesda, CDPR, and Obsidian, it looks like one of the best things you can do is jump on a mod, or other related gaming project, ASAP and start working on something you could self-publish on Amazon. That portfolio seems like the most important thing you have, even for entry level writer positions.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Browsing through some some listings at Bethesda, CDPR, and Obsidian, it looks like one of the best things you can do is jump on a mod, or other related gaming project, ASAP and start working on something you could self-publish on Amazon.

That portfolio seems like the most important thing you have, even for entry level writer positions.
Yeah, good point, a lot of people I know got started in community management, but whew, that's a tough gig sometimes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'm writing everything down.

Simple answer: Make games. The jobs for pure writers are still relatively scarce and many studios will be after designers. If you are a designer with solid writing ability then you have an advantage. This needs to be demonstrated, though, and there's no better way to do that than through game creation. A wide range, they can be short, narrative based if you like, but vary the type. And if you're not confident with programming, then select software that suits. I'd recommend Construct 3 if you want to stay away from code, or GameMaker Studio 2 if you're happy with scripting. These don't need to be complex 3D games, 2D is fine, just show off your writing skills in the field you want to work in.

you would likely need to make your own games first or have some sort of background in development. the only writers who get pure scouted for being writers are the known quantities.

True, now that I think about it most of the game writers that I see either already work for the company or already are writers. Construct 3 looks really cool (and I really hate coding lol), I'll check it out!

Just wanna add that Rockstar has a studio in the Toronto region as well.

I didn't know that! I'll check them out.

Did you take any classes in writing in various kinds of media? If so, you can start building a portfolio from school clips. I'd use the time between now and then to pursue more opportunities to expand that portfolio. Look for freelance opportunities to write for TTRPGs, etc. - anything you can do that might be game related. Get into a simple design platform like Twine or Inform and make small games. Doesn't matter what about - the point is to get used to piecing stories together and understanding the steps players take. If you're comfortable with coding more sophisticated things, then make more games, but I think starting with narrative-based games is a good way to flex that storytelling muscle. Finally, build a social media presence if you don't have one. Engage with games. Tell stories. I can think of two narrative pros off the top of my head who got opportunities simply from existing on Twitter and having interesting things to say about games and game stories.

I'm sure others might have more suggestions, but these are the things I have off the top of my head.

I'm actually in a Creative Writing minor, working with some award winning authors, and I'm finishing writing my first draft of my first novel right now. I could start chopping my manuscript up and polishing my short stories! and the twitter thing is an interesting idea, I'll try it out!

OP
OP

Deleted member 9306

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm.

If this were for writing on games criticism i'd have where to point. But for actual writing, i suggest to at least follow Hannah Nicklin, who was a writer (or the writer? not sure) for Mutazione and is also currently CEO of the developer. IIRC she sometimes posts resources and job opportunities in game's writing.

You can also try to learn some tools, like Yarn Spinner (which should require some investment in learning Unity if you haven't already), or Twine which is iirc much more approachable for non technical users. Also one other thing you can do to get a good pulse on tools that might be easy for you to learn is keeping an eye on itch.io in general.

Also good luck!! I hope you make it.

I'll check these out, thanks alot!

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
def. make games. of course you will need to learn some tools but the documentation is sooo plenty that i can't recommend anything else.
like, make small scoped games with very simple art that focuses on story and writing! there's some very cool and good browser games i've played recently that have a strong writing.

sketchylogic.itch.io

The Basilisk Dialogue by Darya

Can a mouse reason their way out of certain death?

otherwise, there's big mod projects that you can apply like Fallout Miami.

and, write and publish stories.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Short answer: write. Stories, fanfiction, everything counts. Making your own games can also be very helpful.
Try TWINE, many video game writers and narrative designers in the industry use it for prototypes and I've heard some even ask candidates to make a small twine game in the selection process.

I also recommend you to check the podcast Script Lock, it's hosted by two video game writers and focused on video game narrative design and writing, they're always interviewing writers and talking about how they got into video game writing.

Oct 28, 2017
Also in the GTA. Finding a job in writing is very difficult. I applied to Ubisoft for years and got nowhere. I'm just writing on the side to produce more of a record first.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Browsing through some some listings at Bethesda, CDPR, and Obsidian, it looks like one of the best things you can do is jump on a mod, or other related gaming project, ASAP and start working on something you could self-publish on Amazon.

That portfolio seems like the most important thing you have, even for entry level writer positions.
That's good advice. A lot of studios, especially with strong modding communities, prefer hiring people who have experience working with mods for their games. So if you participate in writing quests for some big story-heavy mods, you might eventually catch their attention. Bethesda has a studio in Montreal, for example, which is obviously not Toronto, but closer to you than most big developers.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there, fellow writer!

I've written on a few games and agree with a lot of the advice given here (make games, work on mods, game jams, etc.), but will add that you may want to consider what other skills you can rely on to get you in the door at a developer even if it isn't writing. Game writing positions are relatively few and entry level spots are rare. Many of the folks I know leaving uni and getting a job in games are finding their way in through community management, technical writing, or other "close, but not exactly game writing" positions. It's a challenging time right now in this space because of how many very talented folks are out of work in parallel industries (tv/film) and jumping at the chance to work in games. It's tough, but it can be done.

Also wanted to add that the game writing community is active across a variety of social media platforms like twitter and fb, so you may want to find a list/group or two to join (feel free to message me privately if you need help there). There are some great networking opportunities there.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Start with mods. There are a lot of big mod teams recruiting for writers and such, mostly to add new adventures and quests. Or, you can make your own mod but the learning curve and time commitment would be huge. You can make your name from mods.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
So I worked on a few games. And I've had some novels published as well. It was through those that I got the job writing the games - I applied to the studio, with experience as a professional writer. In my experience (ack) I think people want to see evidence you can see something through, as well as a baseline example of quality. I don't think you need to worry about learning to code or whatever, really just do the work. Polish that novel, get it published. Leverage it. Send it to Head Narrative Designers etc at studios. And apply for everything, get experience interviewing and making the thing that studios sometimes ask for - Bioware open advertise for their jobs, for example, and they used to ask candidates to make modules in Neverwinter Nights - just characters discussing whatever.

As far as designing goes, I pivoted from being solely a narrative designer to doing actual level design on one major (cancelled, lol) game. That was a case of being in situ, learning unreal as I was there, and then applying those skills. Not saying that's every path, and I was given a lot of leeway/help, but I think you can get there over time. For now, I would concentrate on the writing itself.

I also used to teach CW at a university here in London, and one of the modules was on writing for games. I taught Twine, and my students had to make a Twine game as their final assessment - that's a great thing to learn, and it's deep and you can really show off skills using it. It's incredibly versatile.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've seen a decent amount of people get hired from being industry adjacent, at least for younger people. People that worked in video game journalism, people that had successful youtube channels, etc. Basically write in general, don't just write video games. Write videos, write skits, write novels, reviews, long for criticism short stories, etc.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Either get a job with a developer and work your way up, or work on a big video game website that allows you to regularly network with developers who may first give you smaller writing tasks. Two IGN bloggers moved into games writing. Mitch Dyer and has worked on Star Wars Battlefront II and Alanah Pearce has now got a job with Sony Santa Monica.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Emily Short (one of the best writers in the industry IMO, and current creative director at Failbetter Games) wrote some stuff about getting into the industry, although it's focused more on freelancing/making narrative focused games.

Her blog in general also has a ton of resources on writing interactive fiction, as well as links to websites and competitions where you can publish your own work.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Emily Short (one of the best writers in the industry IMO, and current creative director at Failbetter Games) wrote some stuff about getting into the industry, although it's focused more on freelancing/making narrative focused games.

Her blog in general also has a ton of resources on writing interactive fiction, as well as links to websites and competitions where you can publish your own work.
She is a true expert in IF. Great resource.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Either get a job with a developer and work your way up, or work on a big video game website that allows you to regularly network with developers who may first give you smaller writing tasks. Two IGN bloggers moved into games writing. Mitch Dyer and has worked on Star Wars Battlefront II and Alanah Pearce has now got a job with Sony Santa Monica.
Perhaps even more famously, Greg Kasavin is the lead writer on all Supergiant Games; he used to work for Gamespot, I believe.