• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree. Naughty Dog has consistently had mediocre gunplay. Not the game Gears should draw anything from in that regard.

MGSV is mechanically clumsy game too, way better tactical open world shooters with stealth and sniping.

Only on this site are these games "mediocre" and "clumsy" I swear. TLOU2 has some of the best gunplay in its genre, and UC4 was solid.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Agreed, Gears really is very good, but it's so same-y. It needs a big revamp IMO, total changes to the gameplay mechanics.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Gears evolution is held back by its multiplayer. Taking the Halo Infitine f2p strategy for Gear MP is a must.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The reticule, the hit detection, the oomph with the bullets hitting the enemies and the aiming felt off. After playing Hivebusters, I feel as strong about this as ever, although let me preface it being saying god damn that game is gorgeous and the character/world building was solid... BUT something wasn't right but I couldn't quite pin it.

It does feel less gritty than the first ones (here), the series needs an overhaul indeed.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
At this point i dont care about gears 6 at all but man what I would give for gow 3 remaster, its one of my favorite game of all time. Imo it does everything better than 5 ( except technical aspects of course ) art, music, feel, horde, progression, story, characters, atmosphere, pacing. It would probably be my most played game the year it comes out.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a good franchise, Microsoft should just let it die like Sony did with its mediocre franchises from the 7th gen (Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, etc) and allow The Coalition to create something new without limitations, but i guess Gears of War still sells a lot.
tenor.gif

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Its good. It's the default mode for Quick Play in Gears 5. Ranked is still traditional Gears play.

Basically, they rebalanced it and changed up the way it plays so that wallbouncing and getting gnashered in the face isn't really an issue.

Players only start with an assault rifle (lancer or hammerburst) and a pistol. Other weapons (like Gnashers and power weapons) take the place of scorestreaks in COD. You build up points by getting kills/assists and then you activate them at any point (like a kill streak) rather than having to stop and pick up a weapon. They rebalanced the damage curves so that assault rifles are much stronger so combat is much more ranged (like a traditional shooter) than up-close so roadie running at someone with a gnasher is usually a bad idea. You'll just get shot by someone with a good aim.

It's a good change that makes the game feel much more like a traditional shooter without the things that people often grumble about in ranked Gears play (gnasher one hit kills, wall bouncing, people just knowing where all the power weapons spawn and hogging the snipers/rockets).

Sounds interesting. Guess I will give it another go. Thanks for the write-up.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to just copy the God of War gameplay, I think it would be a perfect fit

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I want to see Microsoft let id Software do a Gears spin-off FPS game. Don't permanently abandon the classic gameplay, but drag the series back in time to the first trilogy and have a side-story that doesn't involve Marcus and friends. Gears Tactics was amazingly fun, and I think adding more spin-off games to the series could breath life into the Gears universe.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of dumb ideas/takes in this thread and I have to laugh at those who want a 6-10 hour Hivebusters experience for Gears 6...so essentially Gears 4! Just let TC do what they do in peace, the franchise is in good hands from what they've delivered so far and I personally cannot wait to see what the events of Gears 6 brings.

I do expect it to close the chapter on the Locust, as they aren't the most compelling enemy now that we pretty much know all about them. Maybe Sera too if all the UIR space program chatter in chapter 3 of Gears 5 is anything to go by.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with spinning of the Gears Multiplayer into being it's own thing to be honest. I think the weapons feel great, however that's for a MP game where balance is a very real factor to contend with. I honestly think the series should introduce abilities (though only if we can keep the original Gears MP in some way). Mass Effect 3 had some pretty fun combat, despite the jank and the limited enemy design, which TC could do way better.

Can we please refrain from comparing Gears to other 3rd person shooters. It honestly feels like asking can Doom play more like Call of Duty. Gears is really it's own beast and does many things better than other series. It's only the auto rifles that lack impact. However, I do admit the series core hasn't really changed much over the years.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But is it good enough or popular enough to justify staying the course?
Good enough? Absolutely. Popular enough? Making it free to play as its own platform could be huge.

Gears 5 already has many cool unlocks like crazy executions, funny voice lines that are spammable (key part lol), lots of emotes that actually don't feel out of place anymore (people used to the idea of emotes in Gears), different target marks, etc. All kinds of stuff people could have fun progressing.

And not to mention it feels incredibly rewarding when you start to see the matrix. Gears' movement may be clunky, but that's deliberate. It's still incredibly responsive, smooth and fast to move around once you get the flow of it, which doesn't take a lot, honestly.

Pancracio17

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The SP is 100% being held back by the MP. They really need to distance the two in some way. We've been stuck with essentially the same game skeleton since Gears 3 with some new additions here and there. Gears 5 had some interesting ideas but none of them really stuck past "Well that's different" since the gameplay just isn't suited for the Open World idea they have.

Gears right now is the biggest AAA game that feels stuck in the 360 gen. That's not necessarily bad in its own right, but it really impacts the series from the growth it once saw imo. Gears 1-3 were all pretty big improvements from one another. Gears J-5 doesn't carry the same sort of weight of being "the big new sequel" imo.
I agree with this. Ive been saying that both Halo and Gears should have their multiplayers be seperate clients with their own rulesets and game mechanics, while a big new SP game is worked on. Halo is getting closer to this with its MP being free.

though if gears qas put in a comma for a decade and we let the coalition do their own thing thats fine too

Dec 25, 2018
A lot of dumb ideas/takes in this thread and I have to laugh at those who want a 6-10 hour Hivebusters experience for Gears 6...so essentially Gears 4! Just let TC do what they do in peace, the franchise is in good hands from what they've delivered so far and I personally cannot wait to see what the events of Gears 6 brings.

I do expect it to close the chapter on the Locust, as they aren't the most compelling enemy now that we pretty much know all about them. Maybe Sera too if all the UIR space program chatter in chapter 3 of Gears 5 is anything to go by.
It would be interesting if there turned out to be something new on the moons. I remember that throwaway line by Baird in G1 mentioning rumours about the Locust having come from there.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Tone wise, I'd like to see a return to the almost horror feel of the first, less straight up Hollywood blockbuster. Bring back the light and shadow mechanics of the first. Bring in the perspective and tighten the encounters to feel more threatening. Scary. The movement, IMO, also needs a total overhaul. Make it feel much more natural and graceful, where Gears to me has always felt awkward, clunky, and chunky (both in the snap to cover mechanics, but also just in general with things like the rodeo run). This of course needs to translate to play spaces that feel more natural and organic. I'd love the completely linear path and obvious battle arenas littered with chest high cover to disappear. Finally, lets ditch the bulky, 90's Liefeld style character designs too, they feel incredibly dated and silly.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Guns lacking weight/punch" is objectively wrong. It's something Gears has done better than most shooters since it's inception, and they're even weightier in 5 because they revamped their recoil/bloom system.
"Objectively" lol.

I'd disagree because you can just pump full clips into enemies that don't react whatsoever until they fall over dead.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lets scrap a hugely succesfully and highly reviewed IP because some resetera members don't like it.
At least switch up the next game then. I had some interest in Gears 5 but every time I looked at any gameplay footage it looked like it played exactly the same as the first game. The Gears-style pop and stop combat design feels super basic and frankly downright decrepit in how dated it looks.

People bring up God of War as an example of how a franchise can be salvaged. GOW radically changed how those games played, it didn't just slap on an open world and called it a day. That IP was dead for me after Ascension, but they managed to bring me back with a massive reinvention.

The Coalition team seems to be really talented. And they also seem to be held back by this IP.

Oct 28, 2017
Lack impact how? Because right now there's 3 very strong full auto PvP weapons.
Yeah and they don't really feel impactful, despite how strong they are. I don't know about other 3rd person shooters, but I had definitly played FPS's where the auto rifles feel better. Zhalo supercell or Suros Regime from Destiny for example feel a lot better to me.

I do admit that the Lancer GL is cool and an improvement from what came before.

Last edited:

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I'm absolutely with you. And Coalition are the right team to do, they've shown immense talent with 5, but it's clear it's been pushed as far as it can. Everything needs to be redone, get rid of the stop and pop gunplay, the exaggerated, bulbous, character models, throw it all away and start afresh. Re-establish Gears, start with its base tps gunplay, quick reload, bring in some of their new enemy types like the Warden as it's foundation but spend a year or two recreating it's combat. Put it aside for 5 years, make it special.

Would love if they went down the horror route personally, and don't make it about locust/demons with boots, it's boring. War about something else. BotW, GoW even Mario Odyssey have shown how you can thematically be familiar yet mechanically still reinvent yourself. I don't think there's an appetite to revisit more of the same.
Amen. I played the original and I didn't liked it. It was one of my most hyped games when I was younger, but I just couldn't get into the game. Many years later, I love the graphics, I am even interested in the story and characters, but the gameplay being the same has kept me away and uninterested from the franchise. It has always felt the same throughout the franchise. I like the horror route idea, even though I would probably just watch others playing it because I am a coward lol.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People saying gears doesn't have good gunplay...lol. There isnt a single third person shooter that has ever existed with better gunplay.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me the series was always more compelling as a 3D imagining of Contra rather than a vehicle for deep characterisation or open world exploration, etc. Explaining the Locust in depth rather than treating them as a modern version of unknowable 90s Konami body horror enemies seems like a mistake. It's still mechanically very enjoyable but I would enjoy the games more if the pace was considerably higher.

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wrap it up and trash it. For as good as the tC has done regarding graphics and technical aspects of the gears gameplay, they have comically mismanaged the community by trickling out maps and game modes way after everyone has moved on from caring. Gears 5 is almost a year and a half old and the community is dead and tC's answer to get people back in is achievements for prestige 50 and a standalone hivebusters campaign when thats the least liked game play mode? They are wasting their time. Dump out a single player gears 6 and go concentrate their efforts on something that might actually turn into the microtransactions based behemoth they wished gears would be.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Comparing Gears 5 with Gears 4, they already worked on giving guns more punch and enemies different reactions to when they're shot. Also, those new head-pops are pretty cool.
Also, if you play the game on easy (lower enemy health), the effect is even better, but it makes the game a non-challenge. But so does the revive if you play on normal. I think, I'm ok with just being there for the story and no challenge tbh, but it would be different it was a game I'd have to pay $40+ for.

The problem is the bullet sponginess. How do you make a game with rather slow movement and guns that shouldn't go "flachette rocket launcher, double chaingun with uranium bullets, shrapnel trigger whatever gun" and instead still be based around more normal military weapons ...how do you make it less bullet-spongy without throwing a million cannon fodder enemies on screen or making every 4th enemy a brumak for the challenge (where there is less disconnect with the sponginess). It wouldn't be fun and there would be a big discrepancy from how many bullets a campaign enemy needs to finish him off vs. how many bullets a deathmatch multiplayer opponent takes.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
UC4 is a good game. But the shooting is the weakest part. Gears 5 did this mechanic better. I swear.
I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay in U4 more than Gears 4 or Gears 5. ND has been incrementally improving their games, Gears feels stuck and haven't progressed. I would say the Jack rpg-lite mechanics were a good idea but poorly executed. Gears currently is pure eye candy with no substance. The characters are uninteresting compared to the original trilogy.

I say let the franchise rest and come back with a true reboot.

Btw I'm in the camp that Gears is a better franchise than Halo. I think Halo 1 - 3 are overrated and Gears 1 - 3 are underrated.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
according to the OP The Order (king of mediocrity) is one of those very games šŸ˜‚
The gunplay in Order was only referenced for its visceral feel, punch, weight and impact it has on enemies. Nothing to do with the "gameplay", its the specific act of shooting a fun and bullets hitting enemies. Not that I think you actually have good intentions of having a good discussion here but hey, figured I'd explain AGAIN.

No one is attacking your soul by criticizing your favorite games, btw.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay in U4 more than Gears 4 or Gears 5. ND has been incrementally improving their games, Gears feels stuck and haven't progressed. I would say the Jack rpg-lite mechanics were a good idea but poorly executed. Gears currently is pure eye candy with no substance. The characters are uninteresting compared to the original trilogy.

I say let the franchise rest and come back with a true reboot.

Btw I'm in the camp that Gears is a better franchise than Halo. I think Halo 1 - 3 are overrated and Gears 1 - 3 are underrated.

Yah not trying to say gears 5 is a better or worse game overall. I enjoyed both a lot. But the shooting part specifically in gears was much better. There were encounters in UC4 that I just wanted to skip and get back to the puzzles and climbing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Are all Gears games worth playing in 2021? I have a Series X and I've never played a Gears game. I finished all the Halo games, Deadspace 1/2 and Red Dead Redmption before considering this.

I'd say so, if you can find someone to play the campaigns in coop with. I'm going through a replay of the series and I had a blast with Gears Ultimate in coop after not playing the original since 2007. The games aren't very long either (1-3 at least, I can't speak of the others because I haven't played them).

Also 2 and 3 are X Enhanced so they are 4K on Series X and look as good as 360 games can look. The only outlier is judgement since it still runs at 720p sadly.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Good enough? Absolutely. Popular enough? Making it free to play as its own platform could be huge.

Gears 5 already has many cool unlocks like crazy executions, funny voice lines that are spammable (key part lol), lots of emotes that actually don't feel out of place anymore (people used to the idea of emotes in Gears), different target marks, etc. All kinds of stuff people could have fun progressing.

And not to mention it feels incredibly rewarding when you start to see the matrix. Gears' movement may be clunky, but that's deliberate. It's still incredibly responsive, smooth and fast to move around once you get the flow of it, which doesn't take a lot, honestly.

The thing is Gears 5 is already half way to being F2P given that it is part of Game Pass and it launched with that ludicrous deal ($2 for 2 months of Game Pass Ultimate). I think it's easy to think free to play = success but it's still a brutal market.

I honestly just don't think Gears is seen as a hot property by people, the people who like it are willing to pay to play it, going free to play only works if you can make people excited about the multiplayer. Nostalgia only gets you so far.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Gears 5 and even replayed it on the Seties X, but I completely agree. I feel like the gunplay went from top of the line in the late 2000s to subpar now. Guns feel like toys, and enemyies feel like fodder a lot of the time. I also agree that the stop and pop gunplay needs an elevated form.

FUNKNOWN iXi

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Gears 5 is already half way to being F2P given that it is part of Game Pass and it launched with that ludicrous deal ($2 for 2 months of Game Pass Ultimate). I think it's easy to think free to play = success but it's still a brutal market.

I honestly just don't think Gears is seen as a hot property by people, the people who like it are willing to pay to play it, going free to play only works if you can make people excited about the multiplayer. Nostalgia only gets you so far.
Going free to play doesn't mean auto success, but it will help at least. And of course, that is the job of any studio: to make people excited about their game. Can't just slap free to play on Gears 5 to get people excited about playing again. It needs to be a new product and designed around it being a platform.

RBX

Oct 28, 2017
Look at any video of the lancer from Gears 1 to now and you'll SEE and HEAR the difference. The guns absolutely have lost punch and feel over the years. TC lost most of the Gears sounds and assets and had to remake them so I feel a little sorry but they've had enough time to rectify that.

youtu.be

Gears 5 lacks weight and intensity

Comparison between Gears 5 and Gears of War 1 & 2. Showcasing the brutal, grounded, and satisfying gameplay of the originals. Pay attention to gunplay, sound...

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah a bunch of fat dudes with chin strap beards and tribal tattoos in bootcut metal pants, chainsawing muscular aliens. Yeah, it kinda feels like it should have stayed in the early 2000's.

there's only 1 character in the whole series that looks like that and it's the main character's uncle. Nobody else in the game looks or sounds like that.

I can only assume you haven't played Gears for a few games because this is the fat dude with a chin strap beard that fronts Gears these days...

I think he's referring to Oscar.

Only on this site are these games "mediocre" and "clumsy" I swear. TLOU2 has some of the best gunplay in its genre, and UC4 was solid.

"best realistic gunplay" you mean

Gears evolution is held back by its multiplayer. Taking the Halo Infitine f2p strategy for Gear MP is a must.

They need to just copy the God of War gameplay, I think it would be a perfect fit

They tried that with Gears 5. Even the game director directly mentioned adding elements from God of War.

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
What I'd love is a RE2 Remake style horror game from The Coalition.

It can even be set in the same universe but with different characters and a different gameplay loop. Limited resources, ammo, etc. and play up those horror elements.