• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Maybe because I didn't touch a Gears game since 4, and prior to that since 3"

🤔...so...the same span of time as everyone else who played the full series then? Lol

But yeah, I agree. It needs a reboot. Doesn't necessarily need to throw the entire previous story away. But it needs something. I haven't really enjoyed the games since 3 at which point I'd had my fill. I'd be totally down for a real horror focused gears game. Or one that maybe didn't follow the military. Same universe, different perspective, different traversal and movement and weapons etc. There's a lot that could be done in that universe but I still think they're too scared to branch out away from it.

The whole vibe of the series feels like some sort of relic now. It feels like such a mid thousands franchise in terms of tone and dialogue and gameplay. and while 5 tried to mix things up a bit with the open world sections I don't think it worked at all and just wasn't enough.

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with the general feeling, and didn't even finish 5, I also think it would be a shame to see this behemoth of a franchise who dictated how third person shooters should play with the first title start to chase trends. Much like some of the changes in 5 did.

I don't want it to be just another "cinematic shooter", I want them to actually reinvent the franchise. If it's just taking more steps into becoming Uncharted, I'd rather have it being same old Gears.

And I say this as someone who likes Uncharted a lot more than I like Gears. I just also happen to like things feelings different, even if they're not necessarily better. The homogenization of AAA games is already bad enough, no need to add to it by changing a franchise that plays like nothing else, for better or worse.

I feel like the best way to go is to have a Gears Online title, with constant updates, and a new IP for them to do whatever they want in single player. And being a new IP it'll even be free from the "Gears shouldn't be chasing trends" shackles, so they can make it as much of a Sony game as they want. Again, saying this as someone who vastly prefers Sony games over Microsoft ones, in general, I just don't like everything being the same.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
While I agree with the general feeling, and didn't even finish 5, I also think it would be a shame to see this behemoth of a franchise who dictated how third person shooters should play with the first title start to chase trends. Much like some of the changes in 5 did.

I don't want it to be just another "cinematic shooter", I want them to actually reinvent the franchise. If it's just taking more steps into becoming Uncharted, I'd rather have it being same old Gears.

And I say this as someone who likes Uncharted a lot more than I like Gears. I just also happen to like things feelings different, even if they're not necessarily better. The homogenization of AAA games is already bad enough, no need to add to it by changing a franchise that plays like nothing else, for better or worse.

I feel like the best way to go is to have a Gears Online title, with constant updates, and a new IP for them to do whatever they want in single player. And being a new IP it'll even be free from the "Gears shouldn't be chasing trends" shackles, so they can make it as much of a Sony game as they want. Again, saying this as someone who vastly prefers Sony games over Microsoft ones, in general, I just don't like everything being the same.

They already started doing this in 5 with the faux open world segments, generic side missions and RPG progression mechanics for your abilities.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
However they want to change it the core things I'd like to stay the same are enemies that take a while to kill, the focus on hiding behind cover and things like that. If Gears of War absolutely had to take inspiration from something I guess there's always DOOM/Eternal.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Every Gears thread turns into people who arent Gears MP fans wanting Gears to turn into something it's not. Every game MS makes doesnt and shouldnt appeal to you.

Just need to wait for someone to say they should make a survival horror Gears now to make this a real Gears thread lol.

Yes, do you have any evidence that says the opposite?
Are you really complaining that a Gears thread specifically about wanting the game to change is "turning into" a thread about wanting the game to change?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I agree with you on movement and think it can feel weird at times. But the shooting is great and I think TC Gears games are better than Epic games.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
"Guns lacking weight/punch" is objectively wrong. It's something Gears has done better than most shooters since it's inception, and they're even weightier in 5 because they revamped their recoil/bloom system.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I play the DLC standalone on Game Pass? I really don't want to download all of those GBs of a game I didn't like again just to see if I like the DLC more.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It is extremely difficult to revamp an existing multi-player series. The changes won't necessarily attract new long-term players and any changes risk alienating existing players. Mechanically it really cannot change as long as their is a connected multiplayer component.

We see that with a lot of multiplayer games. Something as simple as a sprint button creates anger and resentment in the Halo community. It'd be impossible to fundamentally change Halo in, for example, the way that God of War was changed. Gears is very much the same.

The only way to rectify this is to create an online multiplayer component - which will attract the faithful but few others - and a separate single player component that can fundamentally change the gameplay and design.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The main difference in the gunplay of Uncharted and Gears of War I think is simply that the enemies in Gears require a lot more bullets to die. They are weird aliens so I don't see a problem.

In Uncharted, almost everything dies with a single shot to the head.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
"Guns lacking weight/punch" is objectively wrong. It's something Gears has done better than most shooters since it's inception, and they're even weightier in 5 because they revamped their recoil/bloom system.

Depends on which guns you're talking about. The automatic weapons like the Lancer still feel lacking while stuff like the Boltek pistol are incredible to shoot.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
I am really hopeful that they see the need to do something different, and by that I mean bringing back OverRun and delivering on its full potential. They're trying to push eSports which doesn't seem to really be working all too well (the modes are just too confusing to a casual audience and the modes that aren't don't work well in a competitive setting), and here we'd have essentially a hero shooter with two very different sides with different objectives.

I'd be all for if they were to just cut standard Versus as a whole because, while I still love it, it's really stale at this point and doesn't offer much that Gears 2 didn't back in 2008. While OverRun was a part of Judgment it never got its time in the spotlight because of the other various issues people had with the game, and what better time to do a brand new big battle mode like this than now when there's new hardware out there that needs showcase games like this?

It would also likely serve them well if they offered OverRun/Versus as its own standalone game (possibly F2P) in order to bring in as large of an audience as possible. That way the campaigns can release when they're good and ready.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think he's talking more about the enemies being sponges. It's impossible to make a weapon feel powerful, even with punchy sound effects, if the enemy is just absorbing it all. Gears feels like your shooting a volley of peas at the enemy.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Are you really complaining that a Gears thread specifically about wanting the game to change is "turning into" a thread about wanting the game to change?
I'm not complaining, but it's something that happens in every Gears thread.

The OP of this very thread said they agree Gears should be killed off so the Coalition can make a Mandolorian or Captain Marvel game.

If you dont like Gears that's fine, it's the constant comments where they want Gears to throw away its identity to suit their needs that's bizarre.

Gears can change and evolve without throwing away the things that makes it Gears. Add desctucability, expand the ulitimate abilities, add customization from Gears Tactics and improve the open world vehicle gameplay. You dont need to make Gears an Uncharted clone to "improve" the series.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Every Gears thread turns into people who arent Gears MP fans wanting Gears to turn into something it's not. Every game MS makes doesnt and shouldnt appeal to you.

The thing is in my case - and I bet this goes for pretty much everyone else in this thread - I was a Gears MP fan. Gears of War is the game I bought an Xbox 360 for and I plunged so, so many hours into the multiplayer portions of the first three games. But the franchise has stood still and lost people like me, while simultaneously failing to replace us with new players. The multiplayer has been constantly twisted towards the desire of what was once a loud minority and is now most of the fanbase. At the same time you can see The Coalition twisting in the wind trying to figure out how to bring new people leading to follies like the arcade modes in Gears 5.

Yes, do you have any evidence that says the opposite?

I think the fact that a franchise that once dominated Xbox Live now struggles to break into the top thirty says it all really. Obviously Microsoft will always say that they consider Gears 5 to be a great success, but I suspect we'll see a different side to things when they announce the next iteration of the franchise. Surely it must be odds on that they choose to change things up with the next Gears in the same way they have chosen to change things up with the next Halo.

I simply think The Coalition and Microsoft can do better than more-of-the-same whether that comes as a different franchise (e.g. Killzone -> Horizon) or as a reboot (e.g. God of War: Ascension -> God of War). At the very least it needs to renew the feel of things in the way Call of Duty: Modern Warfare does.

For what it's worth I completely disagree with those in here suggesting that Gears needs a reboot but that the traditional MP should have a long term future. The Coalition should be brave and accept that they will inevitably piss off some old fans in pursuit of a much bigger group of new ones. There's a whole generation of gamers that remember Gears of War fondly almost fifteen years later. The Coalition should be trying to make a game which people will remember that fondly in 2035.

Last edited:

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So here it goes.

I like Gears 5. It isn't amazing. It's enjoyable. Only disappointing because of expectation and the name it has.

I feel like the franchise is outdated...plain and simple. And The Coalition is damn talented. A damn good studio imo. BUT...here's the issue.
They are afraid to change Gears too much otherwise it wouldn't be Gears. Can't blame them. The biggest issue I have with the game is its outdated movement. It's so slow and clunky and heavy.
Sprinting feels weird, corny. They really need to focus and revamp the games movement animation etc. Like for example if you run straight and want to suddenly run to the left you can only do this by jumping to the left while facing straight like it's such an outdated weird movement animation. They need a much more modern, fluid movement system. It can still do that and retain its cover mechanics. Also the hardcore crowd of Gears is so small these days even if the changes pushes them away new ones will take their place. So they shouldn't be afraid of going all out and totally changing the core mechanics. Keep the gore, blood but improve everything.

The Coalition is waaay too talented to just be working on Gears. I know the studio was created for the sole purpose of handling Gears, but that shouldn't be a set rule and if there are better options for the studio and Xbox they should take a new path. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mandalorian type of game from The Coalition. Or something else. Then let them do another Gears. I doubt any studio out there is happy to do the same IP for forever. Occassional breaks might do them and their creativity good, not to mention give them more experience to improve themselves as a studio.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think he's talking more about the enemies being sponges. It's impossible to make a weapon feel powerful, even with punchy sound effects, if the enemy is just absorbing it all. Gears feels like your shooting a volley of peas at the enemy.
The thing is: There is no point in introducing powerful weapons like gatlings or things like that if everything dies with a couple of shots with a normal pistol.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

The OP of this very thread said they agree Gears should be killed off so the Coalition can make a Mandolorian or Captain Marvel game.

If you dont like Gears that's fine, it's the constant comments where they want Gears to throw away its identity to suit their needs that's bizarre.

Gears can change and evolve without throwing away the things that makes it Gears. Add desctucability, expand the ulitimate abilities, add customization from Gears Tactics and improve the open world vehicle gameplay. You dont need to make Gears an Uncharted clone to "improve" the series.
Hate to break it to you but MS isn't going to continue to pump 100's of millions into a game that only caters to like 50k MP Gears fans.

Gears at its core needs to evolve or be revolutionized to be relevant going forward. It's doing nothing to move the needle except for 1 region.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

While I agree that we don't really need to see Gears chasing Uncharted or whatever other trend I also think it should be able to change without its identity being shackled to how it played almost 15 years ago. Changing and expanding all of these things on the fringe might help it, but if it's still being built to accommodate a bunch of wall-bouncing shotgunners who don't want to play anything remotely different this conversation will probably still keep popping up regardless. Other series go through dramatic gameplay changes while maintaining their identity, why can't Gears?

Sidenote: I also just had a better look over the op after skimming it and just wanted to say that whatever criticisms I have of Gears and how tired I am of its core gameplay, the idea that The Order had better gunplay is ludicrous.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
The thing is in my case - and I bet this goes for pretty much everyone else in this thread - I was a Gears MP fan. Gears of War is the game I bought an Xbox 360 for and I plunged so, so many hours into the multiplayer portions of the first three games. But the franchise has stood still and lost people like me, while simultaneously failing to replace us with new players. The multiplayer has been constantly twisted towards the desire of what was once a loud minority and is now most of the fanbase. At the same time you can see The Coalition twisting in the wind trying to figure out how to bring new people leading to follies like the arcade modes in Gears 5.

I think the fact that a franchise that once dominated Xbox Live now struggles to break into the top thirty says it all really. I think The Coalition and Microsoft can do better than more-of-the-same whether that comes as a different franchise (e.g. Killzone -> Horizon) or as a reboot (e.g. God of War: Ascension -> God of War). At the very least it needs to renew the feel of things in the way Call of Duty: Modern Warfare does.

For what it's worth I completely disagree with those in here suggesting that Gears needs a reboot but that the traditional MP should have a long term future. The Coalition should be brave and accept that they will inevitably piss off some old fans in pursuit of a much bigger group of new ones. There's a whole generation of gamers that remember Gears of War fondly almost fifteen years later. The Coalition should be trying to make a game which people will remember that fondly in 2035.
I dont see how its placement on the charts matters tbh. The online gaming landscape is completely different nowadays then when Gears was higher on the charts. Gears 2 wouldn't of been any higher than Gears 5 on the charts if the online landscape was the same. GAAS will always be on the top of the charts and those weren't around back in the 360 days. Gears 5 will place a lot higher or lower depending on the country as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hate to break it to you but MS isn't going to continue to pump 100's of millions into a game that only caters to like 50k MP Gears fans.

Gears at its core needs to evolve or be revolutionized to be relevant going forward. It's doing nothing to move the needle except for 1 region.
It depends, they might be perfectly happy with the numbers, dedicated fanbase that will keep coming back to their systems, game pass and whatever money they're making from MTX. I think if Microsoft were unhappy catering mostly to Gears' core base they would have introduced a more dramatic change by now.

This is also all assuming Microsoft are hands on enough with The Coalition and the series that they mandate whether Gears changes or remains the same.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020

I hate to break it to you but unless you have evidence Gears 5 was a failure this comment doesnt matter. Hell MS even invested millions to have a Tactics game made about the IP.

Seems pretty clear that MS sees the IP as valuable and a driver for Gamepass.

A game that MS is continuing to invest in with a Campaign DLC coming a year after launch and over a year of free MP content with more to come.

The Gears IP is getting more money pumped into it than ever before.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break it to you but unless you have evidence Gears 5 was a failure this comment doesnt matter. Hell MS even invested millions to have a Tactics game made about the IP.

Seems pretty clear that MS sees the IP as valuable and a driver for Gamepass.

A game that MS is continuing to invest in with a Campaign DLC coming a year after launch and over a year of free MP content with more to come.

The Gears IP is getting more money pumped into it than ever before.
No one said its a failure, but it's not lighting the world on fire either. Gears is just... there. It USED to be a pillar as hype as Halo, now it's barely a blip or relevant to up and coming and returning gamers.

Maybe you're content with that but I'm not, especially w/ Coalitions talent and potential.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
The overall Gears aesthetic is a bit long in the tooth at this point. The character designs are juvenile, and the gameplay needs new life. If no more Gears games are released, I'd be cool with that.

What is CliffyB up to?

Oct 28, 2017
Completely disagree with the OP about weapons and gunplay btw, they feel great. The game is pretty easy below Experienced, and the guns seems way overpowered until you get to Exp and above. You can mow enemies down in 2 seconds. Maybe thats why OP thought they felt weird. I completed Hivebusters on Insane and the difficulty and weapon balancing felt just about perfect. Probably the best shooter experience Ive had since the Halo1 on Legendary days.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the camera control to be like Resident evil 2/3 remake. I do not want fixed camera. Can we make that happen please?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's not a good franchise, Microsoft should just let it die like Sony did with its mediocre franchises from the 7th gen (Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, etc) and allow The Coalition to create something new without limitations, but i guess Gears of War still sells a lot.

I feel like we've reached a point where people are trying to up one another with crazy takes.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda want Halo and Gears to swap perspectives. Gimme a third-person Halo that plays like Vanquish, and a first-person Gears that plays like Bulletstorm.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with splintering multiplayer and sp is the multiplayer scene will....WILL...complain they don't have that same gameplay if the coalition nail it the sp.

They'll quickly realize how odd it is to want 10 titles with the same core gameplay and tactics.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, 4 was playing it safe but that made sense since they switched developers, I feel 5 definitely evolved compared from 4, if they can make the same step for 6 I think they're doing fine.

I also disagree with the people saying they should going back to just being fully linear. That works for the Hivebusters DLC because it's a 3 hour experience, but I feel gets stale if you do just that for a full length campaign. IMO it makes more sense to refine the wide linear stuff than just regressing back to the corridor shooter formula.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the cover mechanics of Division but I know its unrealistic to expect that from Gears. I do think Gears needs to freshen the gameplay up.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
TC should round it off with 6 and make a spiritual successor or new IP. I think a reboot would be too drastic.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can do whatever they want with the SP, as long as the MP is the same.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
When I went through Gears 5 it just seemed like a game from 10 years ago. Nothing new, just the same old Gears that happened to be a bit prettier. Lots of people obviously love it but for me it just seems to have gone stale.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
The hardcore fanbase hates change so the games are going to be very similar to the last one

It needs a break and The Coalition should work on a new IP or one given to them (like Mandalorian)

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Man...... did you guys see what happened when Halo went a slight different direction from reach to Halo 5
Even 3 to Reach. They added spartan abilities (Sprint) and the hardcore community lost their minds. They don't even want a BR mode, even though I don't see how Halo Infinite can last for years without one (and its literally the perfect IP to have a BR)

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Coalition should focus on getting Gears 6 out and moving on to something else for a bit. Gears 5 was a massive improvement over 4. It is still easily one of the best third person shooters. That said, they don't seem to be able to get the masses to stick around for MP.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I've been over the franchise for awhile now and I kind of wish Microsoft never spent billions buying the ip.

I feel like coalition is an amazing studio and I want to see something new from them. Having said that new ip is always risky and chances are it wouldn't sell as well as a typical gears game.

If they insist on doing more gears I want them to do some side stories. Gears tactics imo is the most fun I've had with the franchise since 3. But even that is hamstrung by the juvenile dude bro aesthetic etc

Multilayer seems to be where the core fans are, so they should just create a multilayer only title and spin off the campaigns as separate games or a separate studio.

Give me a last of us style style game with you playing as civilians moving through the ruins post invasion etc.

Keep the gears as background / story and just focus on a far slower paced but more tense story.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine if they totally split the multiplayer off into its own thing entirely and just released a full on single player AAA action adventure game ala God of War 2018. Take some risks, make some bold choices and needed changes. Keep the spirit of the series but advance a lot of the more archaic elements and surprise people.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought Gears 5 was going to be it's "God of War" moment, but it just didn't live up to it's potential.

It really needs some kind of soft reboot, or something. Sure, it's pretty as hell but they shouldn't be trying to RPG this up nor going pseudo-open world.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
So, I am definitely one of those who has praised Gears 5 to high heavens. Certainly, it felt tight, the campaign was a journey, I enjoyed it from start to finish. I'll mention I didn't divulge the open world much, but man, it felt as close to Gears 2 quality as it can be. Maybe because I didn't touch a Gears game since 4, and prior to that since 3 (sounds longer than it is), but it felt somewhat fresh enough. that being said, my entire time with it I felt that something was missing. The reticule, the hit detection, the oomph with the bullets hitting the enemies and the aiming felt off. After playing Hivebusters, I feel as strong about this as ever, although let me preface it being saying god damn that game is gorgeous and the character/world building was solid... BUT something wasn't right but I couldn't quite pin it... let me explain further.

If you have played MGSV, The Order and, let's see... Uncharted 4, for example. When you shoot in these games, it feels powerful, visceral, even real. The movement is tight, responsive, what you want to do just happens, especially so in MGSV moreso than UC4/Order (which I am only really highlighting for the feel of combat rather than movement).

There is a weighty punch, the enemies take the bullets, blood splatters and enemies react. Now, certainly blood splatters in Gears 5 but I never feel like my bullets or guns pack a punch. I realize that by watching videos or gifs of Gears 5, it can SEEM like this is the case, but when you play it, it doesn't feel as powerful as it looks. It feels plastic, soft, artificial even.

Let's talk about the movement. I tried to adapt the movement some competitive players use, the bumper for run/cover/roll. The movement even feels outdated. Take, for example, GoT, this game feels so tight. Its a 3rd person game, although action/sword play. Regardless, where I move the player, it goes, it feels tight. Gears feels as outdated and heavy as Killzone 2 pre-patch felt. I want to sprint with separate buttons as my roll and cover. It's cumbersome and awkward. The whole game could benefit from a tightening and re-tuning of controls, regardless of competitive standards. MGSV is still one of the tightest controlling 3P games to date.

At the end of the day, I get it, Gears has a core audience.. hell, that was me for many iterations. At this point I feel like the franchise has gone stale and has lost a hardcore fan. I know some fans wont be happy, but in the end, Gears has so much unrealized potential in its setting and its universe. Utilize the artstyle and history of beefy men and women, weapons that pack a punch. Make it visceral, hardcore, powerful feeling, but at the same time, update the controls, make it tight, fast paced, responsive and less awkward and cumbersome.

Coalition clearly has technical, artistic and narrative prowess, they just need to bring Gears into the future. If not, I fear this franchise has nothing else to offer me, despite the enjoyment I got out of Hivebusters.

Any thoughts, Era?
I agree completely OP. After playing hivebusters I've had the exact same thoughts. IMHO the franchise should be put to rest and Coalition should create a new third person shooter series, with all the know how and gears quality, but free to implement new ideas, settings, and specially movement options.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to 2010. I'm really not sure my MS don't allow them to just do something new. It lost its shine long ago. Before Gears 3 in my opinion.