• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which The Last of Us Game Do You Prefer?

• The Last of Us

Votes: 761 47.2%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 850 52.8%

• Total voters

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
Firstly I felt the first was perfectly paced and told a simple story in a linear fashion and was the perfect length. I've never been a fan of non-linear story-telling in any medium and combined with the last hours of The Last of Us Part II, which I felt were just unnecessary, the first game remains my overall favourite game.

That said, the refinement of game/control mechanics in Part II makes the moment-to-moment gameplay better in every regard.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay wise, TLOU2 is far better than 1, so 2. Pacing and story TLOU slightly better than TLOU2 though

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Part II's story is a classic case of higher highs and lower lows compared to the first game. It's ambitious yet slightly flawed vs safer (relatively speaking) and well executed. I tend to appreciate the former more often, but I can understand why others don't.

However, the gameplay is undeniably better so I give the edge to Part II.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I strongly prefer the dynamic story and the characters featured in Part II over the first. However, I get why people would not.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I replayed the first game almost immediately after Part 2 and in my mind they are one game/story so i don't really have a choice.

Part 2 obviously has better gameplay considering it is made by the same people just years better at their job

Oct 27, 2017
As a whole package the first one is just the better game. Part 2 improved gameplay and tech while making about everything else worse. At least for me.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Is incredible how many people say TLOU 2 is far superior ( and I agree ) since we are talking about TLOU.. Winner of several GOTY rewards and one of the best games ever.

TLOU 2 is really something else.. a true technical achievement in gaming.
it's more fresh on people's mind, TloU 2 won't have as much GOTYs as the first one, especially in a year where Cyberpunk, FF7 remastered got out
That, plus a lot of people saying 2 is better (and by a lot) probably didn't really hold 1 in the same regard that so many others do. For example, I though part 1 was a good game, but nothing spectacular, whereas part 2 is legitimately one of the best games ever made.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat in 2 is such a joy, I'll go with that. It's story took a big swing for the fences but I'm still not sure where I come down on it though.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I played them back to back. To everyone that said 1, I would like to know what you are smoking. The only thing that is debatable is story, and this relates to plot because the story is categorically better told in Part 2. The Last of Us 2 is better in every other conceivable way as well.

This isn't even worth of comparison imo. Now whether people prefer 1 is a different story.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope the votes reflect the next entry's sales, resulting with a deserved downward spiral after the disappointing sequel.
you mean where 2 is doing better than 1 in the poll, which means the opposite of representing a downward spiral?

Regardless, hope they go even ballsier for part 3.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing The Last of Us has over Part II is that it is a better-paced game. I think everything else is better in the sequel. That being said, I still think the first game is very good. I don't begrudge anyone preferring it, even if I don't agree personally.

I truly hope the votes reflect the next entry's sales, resulting with a deserved downward spiral after the disappointing sequel.

This post doesn't make sense given the poll results. Are you confused?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
you mean where 2 is doing better than 1 in the poll, which means the opposite of representing a downward spiral?

Regardless, hope they go even ballsier for part 3.

I mean, where nearly a half thought the original was better, where many were disappointed with a sequel they bought based on the original, that was inarguably better as a whole. Usually disappointing sequels tend to lead to decreased sales with the 3rd entry. Hopefully that'll be the case here as well.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, where nearly a half thought the original was better, where many were disappointed with a sequel they bought based on the original, that was inarguably better as a whole. Usually disappointing sequels tend to lead to decreased sales with the 3rd entry. Hopefully that'll be the case here as well.
Define inarguably. And most actually liked the game.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Inarguably doesn't mean what you think it means, especially in face of evidence that at least half the people who played 2 seem to have liked it more than 1.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Lol. What a bad take. Not only is it NOT inarguable, the fact that a large amount of people prefer the second game to the first seems to imply that it is a VERY arguable point.

It feels like you are deeply, deeply compromised (or just trolling).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

I mean you could have just stopped after making one of the stupidest posts of all time but here you are again with the sequel, every bit as dumb as the first.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm
1cMcIKy.png

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
The first game is more refined (better pacing and gameplay design). It also has the perfect length.

The second game is more ambitious and has the obvious technical advances, but it was an uneven experience and i wanted it to end several times throughout my playthrough, for several reasons. And that is never good.

Nevertheless, it is still a fantastic game, but i think the first is better overall.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So do you expect Part III to sell even better than Part II? Bold but can happen.
it's more fresh on people's mind, TloU 2 won't have as much GOTYs as the first one, especially in a year where Cyberpunk, FF7 remastered got out
lol Cyberpunk has a chance,FFVII has zero chance even if was launched last year,let alone this one.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I love them both, but nothing has ever hit me like TLOU2. I was one of those people who didn't even want a sequel because I thought the first game ended so perfectly, and I'm amazed that after playing 2 it isn't even a contest for me. I can totally understand preferring the first game for the tighter, more concise narrative, but I'm a TLOU2 man through and through.
This is pretty much me. I said that they didn't need a sequel but this was worth it for the upgraded gameplay alone. I understand preferring the tighter linear story of the first. I every started to question it as I got closer and closer to the end but it was all worth it.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I like Part II better in pretty much every way. The first game was in my top 5 of all time, but Part II might legit be my favorite game ever.

I suppose I can see where the pacing criticisms come from for Part II, although personally I thought the pacing was sublime, which really surprised me given the length and the fact that I thought Uncharted 4 had some pacing issues. A bit of Day 1 is the only time I felt like the pacing could improve.

We'll have to see how I feel on a replay though, but I feel like the first part of Summer in Part I (before meeting Henry and Sam), plus Boston before getting to Bill's town both dragged on more than any of Part II.

The story, I can see why people could prefer either one, but I liked Part II more. Part I is definitely a "tighter," more focused and straightforward story that executes incredibly well. But Part II is so much more ambitious in scope, complexity, and themes while still being fantastic in execution. I also really liked almost all the new characters (especially Lev!), and the world building was incredible.

Gameplay I don't really need to get into. Part II is just such a colossal improvement here.

So, yeah. I think it's indisputably Part II for me, but they really feel like two parts of a whole that are hard for me to separate in many ways. I can understand people going either way.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough one. TLOU is my favorite game ever but the sequel is a masterpiece as well.
In terms of gameplay part 2 is a huge step up and obviously on the technical side as well.
Even though I think part 2's story has more merit for trying something different and bold and executing it wonderfully, Joel and Ellie's arc resonated more with me and the supporting cast was stronger as well imo. Tess, Billy David, Sam and Henry felt more memorable than the characters introduced in part 2.
But I did like the relationships between Ellie/Dina and Abby/Lev a lot as well.
And the fight with the rat king was so awesome...
I can't make up my mind lol. Maybe after I replay part 2.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Is there an I'm over TLOU option? Liked 1 a lot, but 2 was so joyless and miserable that I kind of never want to play either again. Because of events in 2 I hate Ellie and all I will think about in 1 is how everything ends up totally fucked in 2.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
So do you expect Part III to sell even better than Part II? Bold but can happen.

lol Cyberpunk has a chance,FFVII has zero chance even if was launched last year,let alone this one.

Why ? Cyberpunk will probably be the GOTY of this year, something like 90% sure but FF7 will grab some awards for sure as well

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Why ? Cyberpunk will probably be the GOTY of this year, something like 90% sure but FF7 will grab some awards for sure as well
Just had a Déjà vu , I saw a lot of comments like that in 2013 and 2018 , Cyberpunk has a chance indeed,but 90% sure ? lol yeah
FFVII will win a few here and there,but will be minimal.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pacing is better in Pt 1, everything else is better in Pt 2.

And am I crazy can you swap your bottle for a brick in the first one but not the second one (says "FULL" regardless of which you have)?

On second thought, it's very close. Hard to say.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the hardest question ever asked on this forum.

I can't decide. I need a third poll option for "equally good"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Part 1 if you're nostalgic
Part 2 if you like an iterative game that improves on the OG in every single way

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Part I has tighter, less forced writing in my opinion. I prefer the emphasis on the characters being survivors vs the full on focus on human drama of perspective and tribalism in Part II. Storywise the Infected really took a backseat in the second game.

Part II has better gameplay, level design and a more complex story. I loved that they took the risks that they did, but I do feel that they fumbled a bit in its execution. Hopefully they keep taking risks like that and tighten up the execution a bit more on their next attempt.

Music is amazing in both games.

brees504

Jul 14, 2020
2 is a vastly better game than 1. And has a much more complicated story. Hard to compare overall impact though since 2 hasn't been in my thoughts for 7 years.