• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Ash Win

• No

Votes: 304 33.6%
  • No

Votes: 149 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 206 22.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 245 27.1%

• Total voters

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
They better not drop Bewear and Mimikyu or else
I was wondering about Mimikyu actually. It might be the first Pokemon they keep between regions besides Wobbuffet in a long time. It's like the Pokemon was made to be in TR. they need to stop getting them to dump all their mons each saga like they started with in BW.

Aug 7, 2019
The question of Team Rocket's end of saga status quo is impossibly tough.

"Spying For the Big Guy!" provides the most clues of the direction.

First off, the dub ends asking if it will be happily ever after for TR in their Bewear home. Matori and Alolan Meowth were completely spooked off (and went down in an airship Hunter J style) but they were still able to make contact so there's no way they haven't been able to tell Giovanni about that whole fiasco. Either the staff completely wrote themselves into a corner with that or there's some kind of grand punishment coming for TRio's betrayal.

The TRio have no evil organization in Alola to say they bested. They don't want to give either of Mareanie or Mimikyu to headquarters either.

So there are two options.

1. Giovanni is coming for that Bewear himself and Team Rocket make a stand against him openly, quitting Team Rocket and completing their character development for a write-off.

2. The TRio are going to leave Bewear only to be demoted hard by Giovanni when they get back to Kanto, he takes away their high ranking position and they go back to how they were viewed before Unova.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the time might have come for them to drop Team Rocket.

Don't get me wrong, they've been better in Sun and Moon than they ever have been previously, but they're in a good place now- let them quit Team Rocket and stay hanging around with Bewear in Alola, and do something fresh the next time out.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was really bad. Half of it was stock footage of Z-moves and it felt like a cheap excuse to bring the former Poipole, now Naganadel(who evovled off-screen) back because the writers just noticed "Oh crap, this series didn't have a proper 6v6 battle yet!" If they wanted to bring Poipole back after that really great emotional goodbye, then I wished they did it much earlier with some sort of foreshadowing. You can even have it train with Ash and we can see its evolution. I mean Poipole was hardly used for battles at all so I'm not sure how's it going to fare in the upcoming fight against Kukui.

At least this episode gave us Team Rocket with the role reversal with them saving Bewear and
AAAAAAAAAAAA
memes.

I think the time might have come for them to drop Team Rocket.

Don't get me wrong, they've been better in Sun and Moon than they ever have been previously, but they're in a good place now- let them quit Team Rocket and stay hanging around with Bewear in Alola, and do something fresh the next time out.
If they have them fired from Team Rocket then that would be a more interesting direction for their characters. Maybe they could figure out how to retrieve all of their old Pokemon that are stuck in TRHQ. Maybe these characters become legit rivals for Ash(doing less theiving, more time to train their Pokemon) in the league. Just dropping them in Alola without at least addressing their other Pokemon would be a really bad way to say good bye to characters who have been in this show for 20+ years.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This league season helped me warm up a lot to Alola as a whole, lmao. Even Z moves were hype this episode.

And the bewear shit is hilarious.

What i wonder now is how will they justify pokemon being big af for dynamax battles in swsh. I really can't. It's nonsensical.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was really bad. Half of it was stock footage of Z-moves and it felt like a cheap excuse to bring the former Poipole, now Naganadel(who evovled off-screen) back because the writers just noticed "Oh crap, this series didn't have a proper 6v6 battle yet!" If they wanted to bring Poipole back after that really great emotional goodbye, then I wished they did it much earlier with some sort of foreshadowing. You can even have it train with Ash and we can see its evolution. I mean Poipole was hardly used for battles at all so I'm not sure how's it going to fare in the upcoming fight against Kukui.

At least this episode gave us Team Rocket with the role reversal with them saving Bewear and
AAAAAAAAAAAA
memes.

If they have them fired from Team Rocket then that would be a more interesting direction for their characters. Maybe they could figure out how to retrieve all of their old Pokemon that are stuck in TRHQ. Maybe these characters become legit rivals for Ash(doing less theiving, more time to train their Pokemon) in the league. Just dropping them in Alola without at least addressing their other Pokemon would be a really bad way to say good bye to characters who have been in this show for 20+ years.
I'd honestly love if team rocket stopped being villains and just became wacky rivals, because honestly that's when they're actually at their best anyways and a lot of the villain stuff they do ended up being super one note and repetitive

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'd honestly love if team rocket stopped being villains and just became wacky rivals, because honestly that's when they're actually at their best anyways and a lot of the villain stuff they do ended up being super one note and repetitive
Was hoping they'd go in this direction after Diamond & Pearl with Jessie's focus on contests paying off (she was a worthy rival to Dawn) and James always showing more of a knack for battling and strategizing than he'd let on.

Seems like the choice to turn them into semi-serious villains in Best Wishes didn't pay off the way the writers wanted it to, and then they had no idea what to do with them other than just a lazy return to the status quo. They don't even show up in every episode anymore.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
yeah the last episode was definitely more about "look at all these Z-moves WOW have fun never seeing them again" than actual interesting stuff but Guzzlord's voice levels it out.

Really shocked me that Kukui starts with Inceniroar. He knows what the people want I guess. Though it looks like Ash is doing some training to counter Darkest lariat in the preview (or at least training Melmetal to imitate it) so I wonder if it will be unstoppable tank we all think it is. Based on the preview I'm assuming Pikachu comes out first but is recalled, Ash sends out Lycanroc, Lycanroc gets that hard L, then maybe Kukui withdraws Inceniroar so Ash can fight the rest of his team.

Edit; Oh wait i missed torracat, I have no idea what will happen now lmao

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
There's no way Matori is going to even tell anyone what happened to her with Bewear and Team Rocket. She'd consider it too embarrassing.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
So a scan is out on the net the shows Kukui's fourth and fifth Pokemon.
Venusaur and Empoleon

They didn't reveal his last one meaning either Ash is going to lose to five of the professor's Pokemon or Kukui actually does have a Galarian Pokemon as his sixth.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they revealed Blaziken for the anime before it appeared

Besides, Oha Suta will spoil whatever it is anyway
Ah they did? I couldn't remember the hype cycle for Gen 3 so I take your word for it.

And you are right about that last part. Oha Suta doesn't give a toss about spoiling stuff. And if it's a new Pokemon, it's gonna be posted on Gaming Side before the episode properly airs.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What an interesting team Kukui's got there.

With his Incineroar going out first, I felt like we might be in for a Tobias-style curbstomp, but that's not looking like the case.

Given the makeup of the rest of his team, I'd be very unsurprised if he had the final evo of a Galarian starter, Blaziken-style.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What an interesting team Kukui's got there.

With his Incineroar going out first, I felt like we might be in for a Tobias-style curbstomp, but that's not looking like the case.

Given the makeup of the rest of his team, I'd be very unsurprised if he had the final evo of a Galarian starter, Blaziken-style.
Question is...will his Venusaur Mega Evolve?

Mega Venusaur hasn't really seen any screentime in the anime

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
It is nice to see Ash being competitive against Kukui tho. Not a blow out like a lot of people were fearing.

The only power up that should be seen is Z moves and that's it.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda lame he has both Lucario and Empoleon.
Should've been Greninja or Swampert instead, just for more region representation.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If he does have a team shaping up like this, then Kukui has elevated himself into gaining near 'Player' level intelligence in going "Oh, there's WAY cooler Pokémon from other generations, why stick with one region? Steel penguins!? Big, tanky plant toads!?".

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Ash and Pikachu will be back for the next anime.

🔔 2 days left 🔔 Two more days until the details of the new anime "Pocket Monster" are revealed! September 29 There is a detailed announcement in the Sun & Moon broadcast at 6:00 pm (TV Tokyo series) 📺✨ What do you mean by stage in all regions? ⁉ What happens to Satoshi and Pikachu ⁉ I'm curious 💡 Please look forward to it

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That makes things even more interesting. An All Region Anime with Ash could include cameos from previous series' team rotation of older Pokemon coming back, story continuation for previous travel companions and so much more.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they were always going to be back.

I'm more intrigued as to who else the anime focuses on, personally. I'm expecting an all-star cast.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
New protagonist is always the beginning of the end.

I don't see Ash going anywhere and there's really no need to replace him.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Going with the whole "Ash is a Marketing Tool" excuse I see. I say It's been long enough. He's won a league. Just sunset him already for at least a series IMO

Id rather see him conquer the leagues he failed at while also exploring a new region. The style has been drastically shifting the last few adaptations to where its felt fresh enough while keeping a familiar character.